Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Or put a 200l drum on a dolly and fetch water when needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

goatsestretchgoals posted:

I’ve never had that problem with the built in Win10 AV. Are you trying to install into \Program Files? Windows does not like unsigned programs trying to do that, just put it on your desktop.

Nah, I chucked it on my mostly empty D drive. But then I'm running BitDefender as an AV and it hates all kinds of things so maybe thats all it is.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Is the ESAPI vest supposed to be god-tier? My current game has resistance values like 65 and 55 or something like that (can't remember exact values) and that puts it like 3-4 times above literally anything else. My torso hasn't taken any damage whatsoever since I started wearing it. I'm wondering if the experimental version I have has a mistake or bug in it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It's been that way for a long time. It supposed to be (light) rifle proof, and under current code the only way to do that is to make it everything-proof.

Watch the Coverage though. 85% coverage means that there's a 1 in 6 chance of an attack just completely bypassing it with no reduction at all.

(the other limiting factor is supposed to be that you cannot repair it, but I've never actually had one damaged and the materials are common enough anyway)

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 10:24 on May 18, 2020

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Coverage is massively important, I'd much rather take armor with lower defense but more coverage.

It doesn't matter that much when fighting normal zombies, but as soon as you fight something that hits hard and fast you're gambling with your life. Accidentally walking into a turrets line of fire goes from "Really bad day" to "Dead instantly" when you inevitably fail that 1/6 chance and a bullet snakes past your vest.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Speaking of turrets, is there a good surefire way to deal with turrets in labs? for the most part, I just switch off any lights, smash any lighting in the corridors and sneak past them, or failing that, I use the grenades I found on a bunch of dead soldiers. Even with an ESAPI vest, my arms don't typically last long (even with metal arm guards) if one spots me.

In addition, there are now two lab types are far as I can see - one called a "science lab" which is absolutely jam packed with chemicals and reagents of every conceivable type although no apparent mutagen or exotic stuff as far as I can see. They don't even appear to be guarded by much other than regular zombies.

Also, I really like the A1 Laser Rifle - having a good UPS, charged from a vehicle and now I don't have to give a poo poo about ammo anymore.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

PiCroft posted:

In addition, there are now two lab types are far as I can see - one called a "science lab" which is absolutely jam packed with chemicals and reagents of every conceivable type although no apparent mutagen or exotic stuff as far as I can see. They don't even appear to be guarded by much other than regular zombies.

The science lab seems to have come to be the more common of the two and is substantially more zombie packed without the benefit of a guaranteed finale/reward room. It does have some robots and turrets guarding it, plus maybe some mutants that will all have a free for all with the zed. It's a bit of a slog but there is a poo poo load of zombie scientists in there so it's not a terrible way to hunt for the rarer CBM's or nutriment I guess.

Might wanna chill out on the surface for a couple hours while everything softens each other up down there though.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

goatsestretchgoals posted:

I swear by light survivor everything (except heavy survivor helmet because head encumbrance doesn’t matter).
Why do you pick light? The heavy suit has much higher armor values and isn't much more difficult in terms of crafting and materials. I guess the higher armor doesn't matter for the majority of chaff zombies but imo it's rather nice to just tank hits from snappers/biters or other more damaging zombies. Also I've never seen the survivor helmets and after checking the item browser it seems like they have been removed from the base game

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

NEGATIVE TRAITS:
Far-Sighted AND Near-Sighted - Four stat points in exchange for making you rely on a pair of bifocals. I've had them break on me one time ever in all my time playing, normal zombies almost never go for the head.
Glass-Jaw - Lower head health. Like I said, zombies almost never go for the head. Helicopter crash start gives you a free helmet to totally negate this.

Lactose Intolerant - Milk goes bad so this only matters for like an in-game week before all milk/cheese/yogurt is rendered inedible anyways.
There's obviously some rng and personal bias to it but the head isn't as safe as you may feel. It's the only part my current character regularly takes damage since helmets have less than 100% coverage. And basic zombies do attack your head but I think it happens more often if you're grabbed. I've started to wear a survivor hood over my helmet in combat to mitigate those random head attacks by the weaker zombies. Also glasses take a lot of damage if you ever get hit in the eyes, even by basic zombies. So wearing safety glasses over them to guard against that chance is a good idea in the early game. I'm not saying that taking those traits is bad, just that you should be a bit careful once you start to take some damage on your head. Especially with glass jaw :v:

And I think it's worth it to remember that lactose intolerant locks you out of several fairly simple but effective dishes. Cheeseburgers, several types of pasta and quesadilla come to mind. The ingridients for these are easy to get from houses and tend to store well. Yeah basic cheese doesn't but hard cheese does. And basic cheese should still be okay until you're at the end of spring with the normal starting timer. Stuff it into a root cellar and you can still use it well into summer if you picked it up early enough. There's enough food options in the game that taking this trait isn't a problem but it's not as free as it seems at first glance imo

Qubee posted:

Can I go and build my own cabin in the woods in this game, and are you able to start farming and becoming self-subsistent with rain catchers etc? Or if I just built my homestead by a river. If so, I'm excited to play.
goatsestretchgoals already weighed in on it but building your own structures is time and material intensive so it's something you do in the "mid game" after you're stable in terms of gear, food&water and shelter. Farming is also very much a long-term process as it takes a lot of weeks for things to grow. Fertilizer will cut down the growing time a bit but also reduces the harvest you'll get afaik. The upside is that crops don't need to be watered or tended to in any way. Just plant your seeds and check the growth every couple of weeks. You can make seeds out of most produce that you find like potatoes in fridges. You'll also find seeds in gardens, orchards and randomly in houses. And harvesting berry bushes also gives seeds for those. Trees can't be planted though. A garden supply store is the motherlode since it has a massive amount of seeds and tools. You can even construct or find farming vehicles that can automatically till and plant but I've not messed with that so far.

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 18, 2020

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
That last part reminds me, one time I found a robotic tractor at a farm I had just cleared out. The description seemed to indicate that it would automatically plant and harvest crops but there wasn't any explanation of how to use it. I was still kinda excited to mess with it, until I found out the robot-brain thing that was supposed to control it was the only broken part on an otherwise mostly pristine vehicle. :(

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Caidin posted:

The science lab seems to have come to be the more common of the two and is substantially more zombie packed without the benefit of a guaranteed finale/reward room. It does have some robots and turrets guarding it, plus maybe some mutants that will all have a free for all with the zed. It's a bit of a slog but there is a poo poo load of zombie scientists in there so it's not a terrible way to hunt for the rarer CBM's or nutriment I guess.

Might wanna chill out on the surface for a couple hours while everything softens each other up down there though.

Nutriment is awesome, I hoard it instinctively now. My character keeps complaining they are losing weight and I keep getting warnings I need to eat more calorie-dense food so I occasionally binge on carbs and nutriment is like a days worth of calories in one go.

HiroProtagonist posted:

That last part reminds me, one time I found a robotic tractor at a farm I had just cleared out. The description seemed to indicate that it would automatically plant and harvest crops but there wasn't any explanation of how to use it. I was still kinda excited to mess with it, until I found out the robot-brain thing that was supposed to control it was the only broken part on an otherwise mostly pristine vehicle. :(

I don't know if it's part of a mod or in base game, but I've noticed a bunch of robot related stuff like AI cores from disassembled robots and android arm/leg items now. I've not found any recipes or ways of using them.

I've never tried the remote control vehicle stuff as honestly I've never found a reason to use it and it always struck me as vaguely dangerous - having an AI controlled vehicle especially, considering how janky NPC behaviour and pathfinding can be, strikes me as a pretty surefire way to get :killdozer:

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

PiCroft posted:

I don't know if it's part of a mod or in base game, but I've noticed a bunch of robot related stuff like AI cores from disassembled robots and android arm/leg items now. I've not found any recipes or ways of using them.

I've never tried the remote control vehicle stuff as honestly I've never found a reason to use it and it always struck me as vaguely dangerous - having an AI controlled vehicle especially, considering how janky NPC behaviour and pathfinding can be, strikes me as a pretty surefire way to get :killdozer:

It's probably Aftershock content but yeah, could be in the main game now too, who knows.

I did notice that there was a starting character background that was like "Automation Technician" or something similar, which had you start with like 4 electronics and a "remote control device." I might fire this up and gen one just to see if you can remote-hack poo poo like robot street cleaners and stuff and :killdozer: some zombies for fun.

e: it's "Drone Operator" and one of the bionics you start with is a toggled "Remote Controller". and it's 2 computers you start with, not 4 electronics.

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 14:59 on May 18, 2020

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Is there somewhere I can see a list of all useful / most often used keybinds? Having the same issue I had when I first picked up Dwarf Fortress: everything takes me ages cause I'm constantly having to remind myself what keys do what.

Makes me remember the days when I was younger and typed one letter at a time.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

PiCroft posted:

Nutriment is awesome, I hoard it instinctively now. My character keeps complaining they are losing weight and I keep getting warnings I need to eat more calorie-dense food so I occasionally binge on carbs and nutriment is like a days worth of calories in one go.

I try to be careful with nutriment, staying on it for too long will give your character a morale penalty because it tastes bad, and also once I scarfed like 9 pills at once before I realized I wasn't eating my fruit jam. Blew up like 3 weight classes.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

HiroProtagonist posted:

Ah dang that is unlucky! Haven't seen this myself but I've seen a normal farming vehicle in a barn. Didn't take it in that run since it was far out in the wilds. But there are vehicle parts like the seed drill and the advanced reaper that work off your engine power and automatically plant/harvest while you drive. I wanna say there is also a part for tilling rows of soil but I haven't found it yet

Qubee posted:

Is there somewhere I can see a list of all useful / most often used keybinds? Having the same issue I had when I first picked up Dwarf Fortress: everything takes me ages cause I'm constantly having to remind myself what keys do what.
I don't think that there is a list like that but most things will go into muscle-memory kinda fast. Like shift being involved in a huge amount of common actions. Like instead of activating/unloading something from your inventory screen, you press shift+a/u to do that with one step less. Dig into the keybind page and soldier on :v:

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Qubee posted:

There's also the '%' which brings up a list of stuff you can do based on your inventory, such as 's' to repair stuff with a sewing/tailor kit which can help cut out hunting for a specific item in your inventory to do something, '-' which repeats your last craft if possible.

But iv'e played this game since Goon Days Ahead and even I forget often the difference between 'T' for (T)ake off a piece of clothing, and 't' for (t)hrow that grenade you just primed.

The ones you should probably know most are:

'F' for fire (a ranged weapon)
'R' for reload
'U for Unload (counts for guns, battery-operated stuff and containers of liquid or other stuff)
't' for throw
'e' for examine
'E' for eat or consume
'c' for close (curtains, doors etc)
'G' for (G)rab something, usually a trolley or a piece of furniture to drag it about
's' for smash (usually corpses)
(") for switching between run, walk and crouch
'@' for character stats and status effects
'+' for armour sorting and looking at your encumbrance and warmth
'&' for crafting
'$' for sleeping or '.' for waiting
'a' for (a)ctivate which is usually for using a device or tool in your inventory (and for priming grenades or lighting molotovs!!!) but can also be used to take drugs that require a syringe or a lighter (heroin, crack)
'w' for (w)ielding a weapon (if you have a knife or weapon in a holster, don't use this, use activate the holster or sheath instead)
'^' for interacting with a vehicle control or electronics controler in a vehicle. If you're standing over the controls this will try to start the engine and put you in control of the vehicle
'x' for looking around - gives you a cursor you can scroll about your field of view to look at stuff and see towards the distance without hitting...
'z' for toggling the zoom level
'm' for map
'v' for your characters morale and morale modifiers

There's others I'm doubtlessly forgetting (and I might have confused the upper and lowercase for a couple of them) but for an average player and certainly a newbie, these are likely the ones you'll need to remember the most until you start finding things like active mutations or CBMs.

edit: Oh poo poo, forgot one of the most important ones:

'/' opens the advanced inventory that lets you move stuff not just from your inventory to the world and vice-versa, but stuff in the world around too in a 9x9 square around you. Use this to sweep shelves into a trolley you're dragging around or quickly search your trash hoard vehicle cargo containers for that one obscure thing you require.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I might have to restart. :smith:
I hit the north coast before I could generate a new map tile with a city. And I messed up my soldering iron and my makeshift arc welder with UPS mods, but no UPS to charge them - I thought the UPS mod meant they could use the recharging station in my vehicle. I don't know, I've got plenty of food and gas, but it's a long drive to get back to where I might be able to make more progress.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Rockopolis posted:

I might have to restart. :smith:
I hit the north coast before I could generate a new map tile with a city. And I messed up my soldering iron and my makeshift arc welder with UPS mods, but no UPS to charge them - I thought the UPS mod meant they could use the recharging station in my vehicle. I don't know, I've got plenty of food and gas, but it's a long drive to get back to where I might be able to make more progress.

Assuming a clear road more or less you can go to map screen, select a tile and double tap capital W to auto travel. Then you can go make a sammitch or something or just watch it flail all over the road as it drives you back.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I tried it once so far - went down the rows a way before stopping, not sure why. Still a really cool feature. I'll give it another go when I get the chance.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Currently in the early days of summer and taking a few days off to build a stash of dried food to take over once my perishable goods have been used. Since transitioning into preserved foods can be complicated for newer players(it sure was for me), I'm going to make an effort post about it.

Pro tip: Build a smoking rack or two! It frees up a lot of time if you can just chuck things in there for 6 hours instead of doing it by hand with your charcoal smoker. It's gonna go through a lot of charcoal but that shouldn't be much of a problem if you take a day to chop trees and keep the kiln busy in the background.

So far I've learned that blueberries and apricots seem to be the best summer fruits to dry as far as their nutrion is concerned. Apricots are harder to gather in bulk so blueberries is my recommendation. If you get lucky with a couple of orchards then go for apricots but otherwise it's very tedious to gather a meaningful amount. I'm talking about 80-160 units(80 units fills one smoking rack) to really make the whole thing worth your time investment. Blueberries grow all over in the forest and also around houses and gardens so gathering them in bulk is not hard. Also you can use the seeds to plant your own bushes to harvest in the future. I have yet to investigate the fruits&berries that grow in fall, so no recommendation for them right now.

Getting a large amount of meat can be difficult and a lot of it depends on your situation. First up, you want a good butcher tool like a meat cleaver or butcher knife. Those can be found in houses without too much effort. And for bigger animals, you also need a rope in your inventory, a tree with a flat surface next to it and a wood/hacksaw. You can make a leather tarp for the surface or just drag a table to the tree of your choice. You can also craft a butchering rack that replaces the tree+rope.

Regular hunting is kinda hard since a lot of animals will spot you early and run away. I guess you can still snipe them with a rifle(bows don't have the range) but if you're in a position to do that, you probably don't need any advice. You can also run them over with your car but that only works on plain areas and you have to find a flock of deer or turkey first. And stalking through forests in the hopes of finding something can be a huge waste of time and effort. It can also get you in a lot of trouble if you run across a pack of wolves, or a zombie bear or pouncer. You really want to carry a shotgun with you if you have to hunt that way. It does pay off if you keep any larger animals or packs you spot during your travels in mind(make a note on the map) to return later when you want to hunt them. In my current game, I had a moose in my area and killed it with two shotgun blasts once I was in the position to process the meat(a little over 200 chunks). The holy grail is a dairy farm because those have several cows. You can just walk up to one and kill it because it doesn't fight back and also can't flee very well. And it will yield a TON of meat. You only need to have the means to get it all back to base before it starts to spoil. A vehicle with two fridges is real good for that. If you have neither of these options, you can also do CQC hunting in houses if you have cleared the streets. The eggs in fridges will eventually turn into various small chicks that will grow into adult birds. Usually after a week or two into summer when you start with the normal timer. They can't run away from you inside houses so close the windows/doors and corner them. You want to use a bow with small game arrows though. Other weapons will damage their corpses and reduce the yield or can even gib them outright.

Fishing is another way to get your protein and it's a lot simpler than hunting for meat. I'm not sure about the exact mechanics, but using a fishing pole on any pond, larger body of water or rivers should have the possibility of getting you fish. I'm sure the game has some system to decide if a body of water has fish, so just give it a try and move on if you don't catch any fish. Good fishing poles sometimes show up in basements and are common in sporting stores. I think they're also not hard to craft if you have to. Small fishes don't yield too many filets after butchering, so you have to catch more of them to get into real numbers. But bigger fish like salmon can yield a lot of filets which is a real good return for the small investment you make. So make a map note if you find a spot where big fish can be caught. But the real upside is that the whole process is a lot less complicated than hunting and really only requires your time. Another way to get fish, is to kill the fishes that you can see moving around in water or swamp areas as actual creatures in the world. I'm not sure what weapon is best for that though, since you don't want to damage them too much. The state of the corpse has an effect on how much you can butcher from it so exploding fish with your shotgun is no good. They are also hard to hit so you need need decent melee skills to even try. And they will also jump/dive through the water tiles around you(even if those aren't connected) which makes the whole process kinda annoying. If you got the skills though, it's faster than fishing with a pole I think. A little quirk of butchering fishes, is that they will also give you scraps ot meat. Not much per fish but you can still use those to make meat based recipes!

Getting vegetables in bulk requires you to either farm or forage. Wild vegetables are the most common result on the forage table iirc so getting a lot of them isn't hard but requires you to scrounge through a lot of forest tiles. Remember to bring your shotgun, just in case. I think wild vegetables aren't the greatest option as far as the nutrition is concerned but they should be good enough in combination with other ingredients. If you want peak nutrition you have to farm it yourself. I have no idea which vegetable is the best, but I personally like pumpkins since they have a big harvest and also store for a good while when you don't want to process them. The issue with farming is that it takes several weeks to grow things, so you kinda want to set it up as early as you can. Getting seeds can be tricky depending on your situation. You can find them in random gardens or houses and a garden supply shop is stuffed to the brim with them. The other option is to make them yourself from the produce you loot from fridges. Doesn't work if it's rotten though iirc. Aside from that, farming is a very "hands-off" thing. You just need a tool to dig up a bit of earth and then plant your seeds. Check on them every few weeks for growth and harvest when ready. A shovel will do for making tilled soil but it takes a bit of time. A hoe is much faster so keep your eye out for one! You can also use fertilizer on your crops to speed up the growth a bit, but it will reduce the harvest you will get. I think it's only a good option if you want to multiply a certain kind of seed somewhat quickly to then plant a bigger number. The decrease in growing time will certainly not save from starving.

Welp that's all I got for now :yum:

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 22, 2020

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Qubee posted:

PiCroft already gave you the cheat sheet but I’ll add on the ? menu. You can filter by typing what you’re looking for. For instance, if you forget that (U) unloads stuff, you can bring up the (?) menu and type “unload” to see what key is bound to that function.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
I found a weird gap in the gamut of tools. I was looking forever for something with a "drilling quality" of at least one, never found poo poo. Went on the CDDA crafting site and apparently only 5 items have this attribute; one of them being the cordless drill--which I have seen before, but hadn't been able to find one of at all despite searching two small towns with garages, hardware stores, etc.--and two other things that were bionics (which this guy doesn't have obviously). The last two (apart from the bionics) were these things:

http://cdda-trunk.chezzo.com/makeshift_hand_drill
http://cdda-trunk.chezzo.com/hand_drill

Now, despite these saying they were "autolearned" recipes, my guy with fab 3 didn't know the makeshift version, and I went so far as to cheat in every single fabrication related skill book just to see if I was right that this seemed to not exist. No book had either of these two recipes; and furthermore, not one of the AIO (all in one) things like the survivor tool belt, etc. had any kind of drilling quality.

Given that you need this to do, among other things, making a decent knife spear and some advanced carpentry poo poo, this seems really dumb. IRL I can improvise a simple manual drill with a screw/piece of scrap metal plus a nail or something, a reasonably thick stick and some twine or string (assuming it's a wood drill anyway) and this isn't meant to brag because that's almost trivial for anyone the least bit outdoorsy--on par with the fire drill, or the same thing mechanically, essentially.

It's actually easier in the game to scrape together a homemade arc welder than it is to make a simple manual drill that works via friction and torsion.

I'm hoping that I'm just missing something enormously obvious because the alternative is that I blew about four hours chasing some dumb rear end tool before I finally said gently caress it and cheated it in like I probably should have done. :negative:

edit: Tin Tim had a really cool and helpful post about preserving and I'm bookmarking it, thank you :tipshat:

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 19, 2020

CellarDweller
Jan 19, 2014

Down In The Pit... There's It!
Makeshift hand drill doesn't exist in stable.
http://cdda.chezzo.com/makeshift_hand_drill

you may have an easier time crafting a cordless drill than the regular hand drill.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
I wasn't aware that it was craftable in the first place.

e: oh fab 4 and electronics 3, plus a bunch of poo poo that would have been a lot harder to get the poo poo to craft it in the first place, just for a knife spear. Yeah that's pretty unworkable.

That's weird though, did I miss something on Chezzo marking those hand drills as not in stable?

e2: gently caress, I guess that was the problem. Somehow I was browsing cdda.chezzo in the experimental version when I was playing stable. gently caress. :suicide:

still dumb as gently caress to have the cordless be fab 4 but the manual version be fab 5, and you need a forge for the latter on top of it.

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 19, 2020

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Eh, I can KIND of get the logic behind it. Cordless drill is putting a bunch of preexisting parts together, hand drill is making it entirely from scratch.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

HiroProtagonist posted:

It's actually easier in the game to scrape together a homemade arc welder than it is to make a simple manual drill that works via friction and torsion.
Yeah drilling tripped me up early on too. It's real lovely to have the hand-drill be gated behind forging and making the cordless depends on you finding the right book and a medium battery to power it. But as CellarDweller said, experimental added a makeshift version as an early alternative for things that need drill 1. Also the cordless drill is indeed a rare find. Between the games I've played so far I've found it twice

HiroProtagonist posted:

edit: Tin Tim had a really cool and helpful post about preserving and I'm bookmarking it, thank you :tipshat:
Hope it helps you out :cheers:

I've actually ignored alternative preservation methods like canning/vacuum sealing in the post so I may add a few words about that sometime this week

reignonyourparade posted:

Eh, I can KIND of get the logic behind it. Cordless drill is putting a bunch of preexisting parts together, hand drill is making it entirely from scratch.
I'm half convinced that it was done this way out of spite for players making a beeline for the knife spear and ignoring all other makeshift weapons :tinfoil:

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 19, 2020

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

:confused::confused::confused:

there's no way you could more easily put together the former than the latter*. also, you're essentially making both from scratch.

*this is the type of thing I imagine the game means by "hand drill" based on the forging requirement, but it's not the easiest much less the only way to make a manual drill at all, even with poo poo materials.

Tin Tim posted:

I'm half convinced that it was done this way out of spite for players making a beeline for the knife spear and ignoring all other makeshift weapons :tinfoil:

yeah I got this exact impression lol. I don't keep up on this game a lot but I'd have to guess at some point knife spears were considered "overpowered"? which is real stupid to try and balance when you can literally start this game burned, addicted to drugs and on fire in a burning building in a post-apocalyptic setting that makes it make perfect sense to strap a loving kitchen knife to a broomstick just to have something better than sharp sticks to poke things with.

also obligatory bc mention of sharp sticks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-Xj24Gdxds

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 19, 2020

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Tin Tim posted:

I've actually ignored alternative preservation methods like canning/vacuum sealing in the post so I may add a few words about that sometime this week

this would be really helpful too, I've never lasted long enough (lol :v:) to gently caress around with having to can or seal poo poo, since the longest I've gone is a month in-game before I did something stupid.

knowing this stuff might make me try a hermit in the wilderness type start, I think there's something like that in the scenarios that always intrigued me.

Maybe I'll even worldgen with those fuckoff far away city settings like that other poster was dealing with to really make it into a cabin in the woods type scenario with a schizophrenic who's addicted to meth or something really stupid like that on top of it all.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

With a few exceptions, C:DDA assumes that the only way to craft any object with any metal bits is to hand-forge it from raw, molten scrap iron. Wrenches are the most egregious example. Want to turn a bolt? Find a wrench or build an entire metalworking forge from scratch.

There's one notable exception, the screwdriver; it used to be like this, but at some point they added a recipe to let you bodge one together.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

megane posted:

There's one notable exception, the screwdriver; it used to be like this, but at some point they added a recipe to let you bodge one together.

this by the way, is REALLY loving STUPID because check out what a screwdriver--just one screwdriver--can do:

first off, if you have a hammer (which you need to make your scrap metal screwdriver anyway), you can deconstruct any furniture in the entire game. now, how that happens differently than just pounding away at the sofa with a halligan bar until its unrecognizable is a thought exercise left up to the reader.

you can (with rebar, and nails), install bars onto any window that more than doubles its resistance to physical impacts. there is no component of joinery or fasteners necessary here, no sir. you see, the wood cudgel I have here works in tandem with the screwdriver to politely ask these bars to secure themselves with the nails provided.

just using a screwdriver with nails in general with anything (lol? its something that goes into hole, must work same way as nail :shrug:) makes no loving sense at all. trust me, i've spent more than five minutes thinking about how the gently caress I just crafted a wood furnace out of a water heater and a hacksaw with no wrench or anything more sophisticated than a multitool.

this game is full of these magical contradictions, and as much as I make fun of it I still love it. :allears:

it really would help if your makeshift screwdriver even just applied a time penalty, but no, you can just beat this:

into this (it even specifies phillips head in the description):

with this

in your hyper-realistic game where you have to monitor your vitamin levels to avoid getting hypocalcemic and not eat too much soylent or your tummy feels funny. It's all just too great.

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 19, 2020

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Tin Tim posted:

From what I can tell (only halfway into Fall on my current/longest running game), canned goods make the most sense as a way of enabling recipes to better round out nutrition and morale; the indefinite shelf life is just a bonus. Dehydrated foods stuck in a minifridge or a minifreezer will almost assuredly have a later expiration date than the character crafting them. Plus there are so many MREs to be looted from zombie soldiers.

The vacuum sealer I haven't used as much as it requires empty plastic bags and I spent months of in-game time melting those down into plastic chunks instead of saving them.

edit. Now that it's much easier to just find entire toolboxes in subway stations and garages, why not have them spawn occasionally in the back of pick up trucks and such too?

Maarak fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 19, 2020

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Maarak posted:

From what I can tell (only halfway into Fall on my current/longest running game), canned goods make the most sense as a way of enabling recipes to better round out nutrition and morale; the indefinite shelf life is just a bonus. Dehydrated foods stuck in a minifridge or a minifreezer will almost assuredly have a later expiration date than the character crafting them. Plus there are so many MREs to be looted from zombie soldiers.

The vacuum sealer I haven't used as much as it requires empty plastic bags and I spent months of in-game time melting those down into plastic chunks instead of saving them.
There is a bit more nuance to it but yeah the basic gist is that dried food(and flour) is the easiest "core" to build around with a few select shelf stable or multi-season stable goods. As said I'll write a few words about it soon

Also I did a science safe-scum to test something that came up a few pages back. A deputy badge does not stop eyebots from spawning bots on you. The eyebot in question was fleeing and didn't yell at me for having a weapon but still took my picture when I approached and spawned a riot bot. I'm gonna test the other types of badges if I get the chance but I'm fairly sure you need to start with a police profession for the badges to have an effect on eyebots

E: Huh but it may have an effect on cop bots

As you can see, the riot bot is hostile towards me but the cop bot seems to ignore me. I ran a few laps around it and it didn't change. I should have taken off my badge for more testing but didn't think about that :doh:

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 04:51 on May 19, 2020

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Does becoming a Marshal in-game work?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

You can definitely get badged and given a .44 but I can't confirm if doing the Necropolis quest rewards it fully because it was ridiculously tedious to clear the Vaults.

I know eyebots respect the badge though. They acknowledge the Marshall badge and departs with some "Feds have it under control " message

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Dandywalken posted:

I know eyebots respect the badge though. They acknowledge the Marshall badge and departs with some "Feds have it under control " message

:eyepop:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Dandywalken posted:

You can definitely get badged and given a .44 but I can't confirm if doing the Necropolis quest rewards it fully because it was ridiculously tedious to clear the Vaults.

Last time I played he gave me the badge and gun after the first couple of missions and without mentioning necropolis at all.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Will my main method of learning be trial and error, or are there books ingame that I can read to give me tips and advice? I haven't yet played the game properly as my setup is less than ideal, and my monitor is a good 1.7m away from my eyeballs and I can't scale the text up so it makes reading extremely difficult.

I'm wondering if it's possible to dive in and learn things intuitively, or if a lot of my knowledge will be gained from experience / asking you guys. The possibilities in this game make me so excited. It's like a more fleshed-out version of Unreal World. I just can't wait to set up a little shack in the woods next to a river and subsist off of the land, with occasional forays into nearby towns.

Am I able to recruit NPCs to come live with me and go on expeditions with me? That would make the prospect of scouting out towns a lot less daunting, knowing I've got a second pair of eyes and arms to help me out of sticky situations. And being able to throw them at a dangerous threat to act as a meat shield whilst I run away would be handy.

And the thought of maybe one day making my own campervan with supplies, refrigeration and living space so I can gently caress off into the middle of nowhere and still be comfy.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

NPC followers are definitely a thing, although they're a little dim so expect them to die a lot if you take them into dangerous situations. Most starts start you right next to a friendly NPC you can recruit with some talking.
A thing I haven't played with but others say works is setting up a camp and having NPCs do the repetitive crafting chores while you explore and salvage, many hands makes light work and all that.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Same on the most recent playthrough, regarding the Necropolis. Maybe its a more recent update that added it but that seems unlikely.

I wouldn't object to its removal (if intentional) since it felt super slapped-on and the quest itself sucked. Coupled with the lack of quest marker. But as of now I too appear to have exhausted all Old Guard missions after killing the raider camp :shrug:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Caidin posted:

Nah, I chucked it on my mostly empty D drive. But then I'm running BitDefender as an AV and it hates all kinds of things so maybe thats all it is.

Missed this but no. loving no. Uninstall BitDefender, reboot, grab a copy of Sysinternals Suite, fire up autoruns.exe, and kill anything from BitDefender.

If this is your first time using autoruns.exe, it won’t delete your data but you can nuke your Windows install. Don’t disable things signed by Microsoft.

E: gently caress it, grab the free version of Malwarebytes Antimalware and run that after the reboot while you’re figuring out autoruns. BitDefender isn’t malware but I’m worried what else you clicked on.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 06:45 on May 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

HiroProtagonist posted:

It's probably Aftershock content but yeah, could be in the main game now too, who knows.

I did notice that there was a starting character background that was like "Automation Technician" or something similar, which had you start with like 4 electronics and a "remote control device." I might fire this up and gen one just to see if you can remote-hack poo poo like robot street cleaners and stuff and :killdozer: some zombies for fun.

e: it's "Drone Operator" and one of the bionics you start with is a toggled "Remote Controller". and it's 2 computers you start with, not 4 electronics.

I got an opportunity to mess around with drone control and it kinda... sucks, to put it mildly.

The range on it is pathetic, like around 25 or 30 tiles (after which you just lose connection) and while the power consumption at least isn't stupid and you're able to run the remote controller bionic for a good amount of time, it really is pointless for the full range on it be less than the typical aggro distance of zombies.

While controlling, say, an automatic street sweeper or something, you are locked in place and easy meat. And while I avoided it (narrowly, on one occasion), it's entirely possible to run yourself over with the robotic vehicle you're bionically possessing while you're stock-still like Professor X using the cyber brain computer.

I didn't suicide this guy yet so one of the other things I want to try out is whether it can control turrets--although the aforementioned lovely range most likely means you're going to be plugged full of 7.62 long before you can get close enough, although even so it may still be helpful in some kind of confined space like a lab, assuming remote controlling turrets is possible at all. I haven't run across any yet (labs or turrets), so that's what I'm waiting on.