Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Chinatown posted:

Any yall car people out there I got a pack of these a week or so back and its the best tire spray I've ever used.

Got a three-pack of these too. It sprays on in a foam. I use it on the car and around the house. No ammonia so you wont gently caress up plastics or window tint!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls0ZormAOhU&t=228s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Ultimate Mango posted:

That is indeed the best glass cleaner

On my sliding door I can act like I'm doing the graffiti on a wall. :D

The Kirkland microfiber towels are the best. :colbert:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Squashy Nipples posted:

Howard Stern had a lot of fun mocking this. He even bought a bucket to try it out.

https://www.howardstern.com/show/2016/5/11/cooking-apocalypse/

I couldn't find the video clip, oh well.

quote:

aka Chef Boy-Are-You-A-Dope

HEH

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Ultimate Mango posted:

That is indeed the best glass cleaner

Wrong, the best is Stoners Invisible Glass. It makes glass invisible. Which sounds like the stupidest claim but it's awesome.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

StormDrain posted:

Wrong, the best is Stoners Invisible Glass. It makes glass invisible. Which sounds like the stupidest claim but it's awesome.

But will it get those hard water stains off my bong???

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Went yesterday. Meat was hosed. Only steak was the expensive stuff. Pork was more expensive too. They had signs up saying they were getting charged more by distributors and weren’t making any more profit so I guess someone freaked out at them about it.

We stocked up on pork chops (more expensive but not terrible) and sausage.

They had TP but barely. We were there early and it was gone before we left.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
If you have freezer space, buy a vacuum sealer and hit your local restaurant wholesaler. There is still a cornucopia of meats out there if you're willing to buy 25 pounds at a time.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Also chicken is definitely gonna super spike in price.

My dad has been getting quotes for $2.50+ a baby chick when two months ago they were $0.70 all day.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

If you have freezer space, buy a vacuum sealer and hit your local restaurant wholesaler. There is still a cornucopia of meats out there if you're willing to buy 25 pounds at a time.

yeah vacuum sealer mvp in this whole thing, just cooked 5 pounds of brisket and that was like 1/3 of the brisket

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

MarcusSA posted:

Also chicken is definitely gonna super spike in price.

My dad has been getting quotes for $2.50+ a baby chick when two months ago they were $0.70 all day.

Have we already blown through the college ball wing surplus

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Chinatown posted:

On my sliding door I can act like I'm doing the graffiti on a wall. :D

The Kirkland microfiber towels are the best. :colbert:

Are those the yellow ones? I have like 20 of them and I don't remember where I got them but I use them for everything from dusting to cleaning my guns.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Love the Costco pork chops but they're so thick you either have to sous vide them or cut them in half or they get really dry by the time the centre is cooked.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Are those the yellow ones? I have like 20 of them and I don't remember where I got them but I use them for everything from dusting to cleaning my guns.

Yeah I use the yellow Costco ones for cleaning cars, records, guns. They're awesome

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Yeah they rule. I use em for everything.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Chinatown posted:

Yeah they rule. I use em for everything.

Great in a TP shortage too

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

large hands posted:

Love the Costco pork chops but they're so thick you either have to sous vide them or cut them in half or they get really dry by the time the centre is cooked.

Yeah I use the yellow Costco ones for cleaning cars, records, guns. They're awesome

You’re cooking them too hot. Turn your burner down to about medium then raise the temp at the end if you want more of a sear.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

You’re cooking them too hot. Turn your burner down to about medium then raise the temp at the end if you want more of a sear.

Yeah I might try that or a reverse sear in the oven if my anova ever breaks but I can get them so juicy sous vide I'll never go back voluntarily.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

large hands posted:

Sounds perfect for baked stuffed pork chops to me. Make a cavity in the center of the chops, mix up some blue cheese & diced apple, and stuff 'em. 20ish minutes in a preheated oven at 325, 5 minute rest, eat.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I got hella yelled at by some lady when I knocked over a small food box she had put on the floor and propped up against a freezer door

She was like 20 feet away?

Anyway I got owned

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

large hands posted:

Yeah I might try that or a reverse sear in the oven if my anova ever breaks but I can get them so juicy sous vide I'll never go back voluntarily.

I feel like once you sous vide pork chops you'll never go back to cooking them any other way.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Barry posted:

I feel like once you sous vide pork chops you'll never go back to cooking them any other way.

Same with chicken breasts, it's SHOCKING

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

FCKGW posted:

I hope the samples never come back

I almost never commit to a Costco-scale-large quantity of a new food product, without having some knowledge about it.

More than once I have purchased a new item based on a sampling.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
drat. When I ordered my TV it said it'd probably be delivered around May 20th. They just emailed me the "choose your delivery date" thing and the earliest is June 1st. :smith:

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
^^ I didn't linger too long in the TV section yesterday, but selection in store seemed way lower than normal. They used to have 6-8 65" sets and now it was more like 3.

Barry posted:

large hands posted:

Same with chicken breasts, it's SHOCKING

I don't think I'd ever had a pork chop I liked before I starting Sous Videing them. I don't ever recall seeing a sous vide device in Costco, just some Instant Pots which feature a sous vide feature.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

GORDON posted:

I almost never commit to a Costco-scale-large quantity of a new food product, without having some knowledge about it.

Same. Hell, when I first tried those Ultimate Fishsticks they sell, I didn't just get the fishsticks, I bought the toaster oven she was using to prepare them. CAPITALISM HO!*

*And I am capitalism's ho... :a2m:

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

GORDON posted:

I'm relatively fine with sampling niche stuff but when they're just handing out tyson chicken nuggets that attract the largest (numerically and physically) families to clog the entire section it is annoying.

legion989
Jan 18, 2013
Trip report from Costco in Wilmington NC, staying with some family members.

Nobody has masks here, it's like 1 out of 20 wearing as mask or observing social distancing. Signs up outside Costco about putting a mask on but nobody is enforcing it, it seems insane.

Tons of meat here though there's a lot of plants nearby, but oddly zero TP or paper towels

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

legion989 posted:

Trip report from Costco in Wilmington NC, staying with some family members.

Nobody has masks here, it's like 1 out of 20 wearing as mask or observing social distancing. Signs up outside Costco about putting a mask on but nobody is enforcing it, it seems insane.

Tons of meat here though there's a lot of plants nearby, but oddly zero TP or paper towels

Maybe they've got a handle on things and cases are trending downward?

Oh...

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I went to the Woodinville Costco yesterday. They're doing a good job of covering up the holes, but man are they out of a lot of stuff. I didn't notice too many price increases, but there were a few very noticeable price decreases. Butter was $6.50 for the Kirkland four pack, which is $usually $9-10. Vanilla was down to $25 and it's been $32 in the past six months.

100% mask usage though.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

FCKGW posted:

Maybe they've got a handle on things and cases are trending downward?

Oh...

NC is one of the states that said "gently caress our benchmarks for reopening"

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

For y'all sous vide pork chops, what temp and how long?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ches Neckbeard posted:

NC is one of the states that said "gently caress our benchmarks for reopening"

Yeah testing is up and that's one of our benchmarks so opener up wow it's finding so many cases the system works

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

ArbitraryC posted:

I'm relatively fine with sampling niche stuff but when they're just handing out tyson chicken nuggets that attract the largest (numerically and physically) families to clog the entire section it is annoying.

Same, I never sample something I already purchase unless I'm starving, for some reason.

I am burdened with an overdeveloped sense of integrity.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I do 145F for two hours. If it's a thick cut I'd probably tack on an extra hour or two.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Vanilla was down to $25 and it's been $32 in the past six months.

...and just as I was running out of my last bottle. I was thrilled to get it.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

The Slack Lagoon posted:

My wife like's them fairly rare so I've been somewhere between 137-140f for an hour or so. Over the weekend I threw a couple in the bath at that temperature and forgot about them for about 3 hours and it was noticeably more tender, so play around and see what you prefer.

I also sear them in case iron using ghee and pour the ghee over top at the end to add a little oil flavor that you miss since pork chops or so lean.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rare pork chops??

😳

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Here's an excellent article about sous vide chops that includes a time/temperature graph for the didn't levels of done-ness

MarcusSA posted:

Rare pork chops??

😳

Pasteurization will occur at lower temperatures, it just takes longer, sous vide is great for letting you do stuff like this.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I mean as long as they’ve been through a freezer at some point the wife is really unlikely to get a worm or whatever

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
but just imagine that thread tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Chinatown posted:

Any yall car people out there I got a pack of these a week or so back and its the best tire spray I've ever used.

Who TF shines their tires lmao