Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

DIO had fought powerful opponents in the past and learnt to respect them. Kira spent his whole life killing ordinary women who couldn't even see his power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
It's not like Dio is perfectly rational either. During his fight with Jotaro he goes back and forth between overconfidence and excessive caution.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Straizo got owned but he had the right idea. Set your curiosity aside and just kill your opponent.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I've got jojo on in the background and I just noticed something--Straizo really named his eye fluid lasers after how they made his eyes feel

*shoots blood so hard out my eyes it slices stone* owie, eyes stingy. Space ripper stingy eyes

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I've got jojo on in the background and I just noticed something--Straizo really named his eye fluid lasers after how they made his eyes feel

*shoots blood so hard out my eyes it slices stone* owie, eyes stingy. Space ripper stingy eyes

Straizo was a surprisingly fun villain, he really sold the whole turn to evil, and he planned out how to counter JoJo’s harmon. He just didn’t count on Joseph being such a tricky fucker.

More of the JoJos should use street magic and predicting what people are gonna say. :allears:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Schwarzwald posted:

Straizo got owned but he had the right idea. Set your curiosity aside and just kill your opponent.
On the other hand, Straizo sucks and nobody cared about him. That ain't working. That's the way you do it.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

So, I’m new here, but why is Part 2 so much sillier and over the top than Part 1 despite being in the same season? loving hamon shot glass

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wuggles posted:

So, I’m new here, but why is Part 2 so much sillier and over the top than Part 1 despite being in the same season? loving hamon shot glass

How far along are you?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

wuggles posted:

They're only in the same season because both Parts were relatively short compared to what would come later. It creates a whiplash considering how different Jonathan and Joseph are but I think that really sells the idea of each Part being different from the previous ones.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

overmind2000 posted:

They're only in the same season because both Parts were relatively short compared to what would come later. It creates a whiplash considering how different Jonathan and Joseph are but I think that really sells the idea of each Part being different from the previous ones.

Yeah, and it just keeps getting weirder and better with every season.

RERORERORERORERO

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Fly Molo posted:

How far along are you?

Just finished the episode where Joseph kills? Stratzio and Speedwagon wakes up in the Nazi hospital.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

wuggles posted:

Just finished the episode where Joseph kills? Stratzio and Speedwagon wakes up in the Nazi hospital.

Hell yeah strap in

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wuggles posted:

Smoke some weed if you've got it, the rest of the season is some of the best loving television I've ever seen. Let us know what you think!

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Can’t wait!

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I hope you keep posting your thoughts on Jojo, because reading newcomers' reactions to the series never gets old.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I have to wonder if Straizo was actually evil or if he just wanted suicide by Hamon User after returning to his prime age so he could die young. I guess he killed those nameless guys, but you can't convince me that he failed to kill an elderly Speedwagon with no martial arts capability entirely on accident.

I'm also curious if he would have gone after Lisa Lisa eventually.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I have to wonder if Straizo was actually evil or if he just wanted suicide by Hamon User after returning to his prime age so he could die young. I guess he killed those nameless guys, but you can't convince me that he failed to kill an elderly Speedwagon with no martial arts capability entirely on accident.

I'm also curious if he would have gone after Lisa Lisa eventually.

He lays out that his plan was to kill Joseph before he could enter his prime and defeat him as Jonathan did to Dio, so he was shooting for immortality from the start. I'd imagine he'd have had more sense not to actively pursue Lisa Lisa for the same reason.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Icicle rope is the very peak of jojo bullshit, nothing comes close, even brick snake

I loving love it

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Icicle rope is the very peak of jojo bullshit, nothing comes close, even brick snake

I loving love it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBFi-3RobSk&t=213s

e: I really like Diavolo's dub voice. The way he's doing it reminds me of Liam Neeson just constantly doing the Taken phone call bit.

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 06:21 on May 20, 2020

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I loving love it

I don't know, the entire second half of battle tendency is full of mind bending insanity.

Joseph Joestar: Bluff 100

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

lmfao EXACTLY

Fly Molo posted:

I don't know, the entire second half of battle tendency is full of mind bending insanity.

Joseph Joestar: Bluff 100

Oh hell yeah for sure, but there's something extremely focused and pure about the icicle rope. The rear end-pull of all rear end-pulls, in a series built on them.

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 20, 2020

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, that's about how that went.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I was sold the moment R.E.O Speedwagon was introduced.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Further observations (just met Caesar):

1. This show’s authorial voice seems unusually soft on Nazis.

2. Aw man, the ending song changed.

And when am I gonna see a Stand? That’s this show right?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

wuggles posted:

1. Yeah the main characters have a strange amount of Nazi allies. They die a lot though and as you know, the only good Nazi is a dead Nazi so that still tracks.

2. Did it? I thought it stayed Roundabout all through part 2.

This isn't really a spoiler but stands are next season, Part 2 with Joseph doesn't have any.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

wuggles posted:

i feel like araki's intention might have been to make the danger seem real by having even nazis show up to maybe sorta help, but then again i'm not gonna pretend there's some secret deep meaning. they just kinda suck.

also you're watching battle tendency, part 2 of the series. stands don't show up until part 3, stardust crusaders. it's where they're first introduced and is probably the most inconsistent with how they're handled. parts 4 and onward primarily feature stands for the most part, with the ripple/hamon being practically nonexistent if not entirely absent. parts 1 and 2 are lumped in the same first season, but stardust crusaders occupies seasons 2 and 3, each 24 episodes. it's kinda artificially inflated in length because it's one of the most culturally-relevant parts that gets referenced the most in media. season 4 covers part 4 as a long run of 39 episodes, which is a much better fit. season 5 covering part 5 follows the same length.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

wuggles posted:

While the result is a rather uncomfortable, especially now, I think there was an interesting irony that Araki was going for with the Nazis in Battle Tendency. There's a narrator line in the manga that's cut from the anime about how the Nazis believed that Germans/Aryans were "more evolved" than everyone else and that this gave them the right to crush them. Well, the Pillar Men are as close as it gets to a legitimate claim to being "more evolved" than normal humans! Somehow, this doesn't cause Stroheim to accept that Santana has the right to eat him...

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Glagha posted:

2. Did it? I thought it stayed Roundabout all through part 2.

Midway through part 2 it starts shifting around to different parts of Roundabout, which is like.... six minutes long or something with eight different movements

But it is still, technically, the same ending

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Yeah. I should have been more clear - different version of Roundabout. And now I know its name!

Also, the Nazi/Pillar Men duality is a cool take.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
The events take place before the War but during the aggressive expansionism, so the Nazi PR is still going strong all over the world, but Joseph is very distrustful of them.

wuggles posted:

Yeah. I should have been more clear - different version of Roundabout. And now I know its name!

Also, the Nazi/Pillar Men duality is a cool take.

Roundabout is about 8 and a half minutes long, same song, but they end up using different parts depending on how the episode ends.

The guy that did the soundtrack is probably a big fan of Yes, if this song is any indication;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJaWiZbvfQs

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 21, 2020

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Surprised he didn't work the opening of Heart of the Sunrise into Avalon. The song is badass and the title lines up with the super aja powerup Kars gets.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

wuggles posted:

This show’s authorial voice seems unusually soft on Nazis.

I dunno about that. Stroheim is introduced as a massive rear end in a top hat and actively fucks up in everything he's involved in.

Like, I think Stroheim is easily one of the best characters to come out of Part 2 due to his entertainment factor (especially due to the Japanese VA), but beyond that I would say that Araki pretty much shits on the Nazis constantly with the way they're used. Especially when even Mark, who is presented as a good guy, is given a pretty gruesome death and is then immediately forgotten about by the next episode or two.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

lmao Mark's death still had to be one of the stupidest things in the franchise

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

multijoe posted:

It's hilarious watching that with other people, seeing all this massive melodrama on screen while everyone's just "good. Glad he's dead".

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The best thing about Mark's death in my opinion is that it clearly was culturally significant to some extent considering Attack on Titan has a very blatant homage to it (as in, it happens to a guy named Marco, it's not subtle)

Then again, probably everything in Jojo has cultural significance considering how long it's ran and how important it is to manga.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Stroheim is probably the most useful member of Joseph's posse.

multijoe posted:

He was two days from retirement.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pigbuster posted:

It's hilarious watching that with other people, seeing all this massive melodrama on screen while everyone's just "good. Glad he's dead".

lol it's hilarious. Waamu: Antifa supersoldier

Caesar: "you monster!!! there's good people on both sides, both sides!"

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Fly Molo posted:

lol it's hilarious. Waamu: Antifa supersoldier

Caesar: "you monster!!! there's good people on both sides, both sides!"

Actually Marc only had one side

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Vampires and Double Vampires create strange bedfellows but at the end of the day the nazis basically made everything worse even if stroheim was far more competent than caesar ever was.

wuggles posted:

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

wuggles posted:

:boom: