Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Dipped into the back catalog while bored the other day, and their impressions have gotten significantly better. Old Herzog vs new Herzog is night and day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

fishing with the fam posted:

Dipped into the back catalog while bored the other day, and their impressions have gotten significantly better. Old Herzog vs new Herzog is night and day.

You should destroy your Xbox

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Started listening to MELR0210 and wow Chuck Yeager's Air Combat is an amazingly specific reference.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

thrawn527 posted:

The latest mailbag. "WHM Quarantine Live! #1" from May 3. He does a pretty huge portion of it in a Bane mask. It's magical.

The best part is him talking about having two of those masks and why. I died laughing

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The best part was actually everyone else's disbelief that it was happening. gently caress anyone on the Youtube comments who said nay to Bane though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Rewatching these Pirates movies before listening to the episodes on them is kind of a slog. I should probably stop doing this lol

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I’m 20ish min into The Ring Patreon episode and please, please, in this hell timeline, the David Lynch bits obliterate me every time. I’d love a few Lynch films.

Additionally, the POTC month reminded me of the dongcopter pirate video which, as one would assume, is aggressively NSFW.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Am I alone in just not getting The Ring? I watched it when it came out on the recommendation that it's the scariest movie I'll ever see and was just kinda bored throughout. Rewatched it again a couple years ago and was similarly underwhelmed.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

It’s a completely serviceable popcorn movie. It’s not the scariest thing ever but it’s also a good remake done well. It just isn’t special or something totally fresh. It just is.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Much like Scream was coming at the end of the horror icon slashers circling the drain, The Ring was a breath of fresh air to all the Scream-clones that dominated horror for 4-5 years. Audiences were blown away because there were actual scares and a pervasive sense of dread and a mood maintained by not having loving dialogue dripping with smug self-awareness.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I saw it for the first time today and thought it was just okay. I'm sure it was very much a time and place thing. I remember it being a big deal back when it came out, I just never saw the whole thing until today.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Good glad I'm not alone in not caring for the ring that much. Watched it in 2003 with my roommates on a literal dark and stormy night and it didn't scare me once. Always thought it was the near criminal amounts of NyQuil I was on at the time.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

People thought the first paranormal activity movie was super scary and I don’t think it was. I think you either live in those movies or you don’t.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The Ring Tape was the first Rickroll.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
The best scare in The Ring is surreptitiously calling the house you're in when the credits start to roll and watching your friends jump.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Inkspot posted:

The best scare in The Ring is surreptitiously calling the house you're in when the credits start to roll and watching your friends jump.

Someone's old rear end Nokia went off in the theater I was in and four rows of people jumped. It owned.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

That was the last movie i ever watched on VHS, for the same reason.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Pops Mgee posted:

Am I alone in just not getting The Ring? I watched it when it came out on the recommendation that it's the scariest movie I'll ever see and was just kinda bored throughout. Rewatched it again a couple years ago and was similarly underwhelmed.

It scared the loving poo poo out of me when I was like 9 and first saw it. It holds up okay as an adult, but I don't think it lives up to the "scariest movie ever" hype simply because every single good scare in it basically immediately embedded itself into pop culture as a stock reference.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Me and my new wife watched it at her moms house right when it came out on DVD. They just knew it was a "scary movie" but it was not what they were expecting. The horse suicide almost made them stop watching.

My mother in law was so upset by the movie she made me throw it away. A brand new, once played dvd. Also I had to take to to big garbage can outside lest the demons of the movie infect the home.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Me and my new wife watched it at her moms house right when it came out on DVD. They just knew it was a "scary movie" but it was not what they were expecting. The horse suicide almost made them stop watching.

My mother in law was so upset by the movie she made me throw it away. A brand new, once played dvd. Also I had to take to to big garbage can outside lest the demons of the movie infect the home.

That’s awesome.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Beer_Suitcase posted:

😂😂😂

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Chris Cabin, during the ring episode: We're
gonna get the horse police involved!

Me: cheap trick's dream police suddenly starts playing in my head.

Andrew Jupin, singing falsetto: The horse police!

Did they just inception me?

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Looks like the At World's End episode is going to have some slash fiction, unless Ben's joining them for The Nexus.

https://twitter.com/jupin/status/1260839807883894784

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Disappointing lack of Bane mask :(

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
I apparently forgot about an entire subplot in that last Pirates movie. Each time they went back to what Keira Knightley was doing I had no recollection of any of that.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
Noooooo I want more Bane. His delivery of "that was my nerd voice" killed me

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

B-Rock452 posted:

Noooooo I want more Bane. His delivery of "that was my nerd voice" killed me

Or...MacClunkey. :smug:

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

teen witch posted:

I’m 20ish min into The Ring Patreon episode and please, please, in this hell timeline, the David Lynch bits obliterate me every time. I’d love a few Lynch films.

Agreed 100% - I think Lost Highway or Blue Velvet would both make fantastic episodes.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
i listened to the melr0210 episode with steve's wife and i won't lie dudes, she's cool as hell. i hope she shows up again

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I had to turn off the slash fiction because I was giggling too much and didn't want to be the crazy foreign lady in the cafe

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Marin Karin posted:

i listened to the melr0210 episode with steve's wife and i won't lie dudes, she's cool as hell. i hope she shows up again

I like that between the brief episode appearances and stories we've gotten over time it's clearer and clearer the WHM guys just found Chipette versions of themselves and it's good as hell. The discussion in the most recent Melr0210 about their partners either wanting nothing to do with these dumb shows or joining with booze to heckle it was powerful.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Jesus, I just listened to Eric reading slash fiction and it was, quite possibly, one of the most disturbing and hilarious things I've ever heard.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Ben has such a pleasant voice and I miss Blame It On Outer Space.

I have no idea what TJ Hooker is so I haven't actually checked that out.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
TJ Hooker is a bog standard 80s cop show starring William Shatner, Adrian Zmed, and Heather Locklear.

Give it a shot, you'll pick up everything you need from the podcast.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I literally had never watched so much as a clip from TJ Hooker before listening to Hooked On TJ Hooker and I loved the podcast from the get-go. Eric and Ben are very subdued on it. They play a lot of humour dryly and low-key, which gives it a humble charm.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

The rare WHM episode that’s shorter than the movie it’s on!

And Hooked on TJ Hooker is a fun, cozy podcast. They combine the ludicrous digressions of WHM with a low-key manner that goes really well, like Eric saying the phrase “bean dinner” constantly throughout the last episode

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Yeah if you're not watching Hooked On TJ Hooker then you're denying yourself one of the pleasures of life.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yeah if you're not watching Hooked On TJ Hooker then you're denying yourself one of the pleasures of life.

:hai:

Yeah, I had never seen an episode before the podcast. Shortly after the podcast started MeTV showed TJ Hooker for about 1.5 cycles before it just disappeared, and was unceremoniously replaced with the Wild Wild West, so I managed to get most of it in. You don't need to see the show to enjoy the podcast, it just gives you an extra level of enjoyment.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
There are many things that I will eventually tire of. The WHM guys doing the weird guy character with the giant woman fetish is not one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

IBroughttheFunk posted:

There are many things that I will eventually tire of. The WHM guys doing the weird guy character with the giant woman fetish is not one of them.

Same, but also the Billy Voice