Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Dawgstar posted:

So has it been a long time coming in Sean G. Murphy taking the ComicsGate plunge? He's got an IndieGoGo CG are (at least claiming) they'll back out of support or whatever. Amusingly That Umbrella Guy is very upset because he's going to launch his project at the same time and is mad that he's up against somebody with mainstream talent and is "only in it for the money but isn't a REAL ComicsGater!!!"

You hate to see it.

Is SGM considered CG because he's using IGG or is there something else I'm missing? I'm not sure I've ever seen SGM have explicit opinions on comicsgate either way and as much as chuds use igg almost exclusively for their campaigns, all campaigns that use igg are not chuddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

RevKrule posted:

Is SGM considered CG because he's using IGG or is there something else I'm missing? I'm not sure I've ever seen SGM have explicit opinions on comicsgate either way and as much as chuds use igg almost exclusively for their campaigns, all campaigns that use igg are not chuddy.

Apparently SGM is using IGG and also CG have decided to make it a cause célèbre. They're talking about showing an outpouring of support (well, money) to show him that CG is the only thing you can trust in comics blah blah blah and as you say I'd never heard him say anything particularly chuddy although if he doesn't say anything about ComicsGate falling over themselves to support him that might be what we in the business call a clue.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I don't think there's any smoking gun for Sean Murphy, Comicsgate. I think Murphy can be a bit of an rear end in a top hat, and he was under fire earlier this year because

a) He did a cover for Doug TenNapel's crowdfunded comic
b) He brought on Black Northcott to co-write some of his White Knight stuff at DC

TenNapel is explicitly *not* Comicsgate last I checked, but that's less because he's a cool guy and more that his and EVS's brands (traditional Christian Anti-LGBTQ activism putting out a family product vs. Nominally Pretending to be LGBTQ-friendly while sending your fans to harass anyone who doesn't love a good ol' fashioned big breasted superheroine saying 'gently caress' and probably lowkey gay-bashing those simp soyboy cucks for being a churchmarm prude for not loving tits and gore) and also some sort of business dispute, possibly?

Murphy pulled his cover from the TenNapel book after "discovering" TenNapel's decades of comments/beliefs, and TenNapel in turn claimed that Murphy was totally cool with him and Jim Lee and SJW fuckers forced Murphy to gently caress him over.

Glancing at Murphy's Twitter follows is genuinely baffling, his sort of political (but not at all comics-related) following include Sam Harris, Bill Maher, David Brooks, a bunch of science/atheist accounts, and then more recently Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren, John Oliver, etc. and then even more recently EVS, Dave Rubin, Ben Shapiro, Jordan Peterson, Mark Sanford, David Frum, Candace Owens, etc.

He doesn't actually interact/like/retweet anyone listed above, so it's entirely possible he's one of those people who wants to curate a 'both sides' Twitter feed, or maybe is even hate-following them lowkey. I am sure someone in here could articulate it better than me, but I don't think he's explicitly Comicsgate in secret, but I also don't think he's an ally who is ever going to speak out about him. He might just be a freelance jerk.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

I read Punk Rock Jesus, and “freelance jerk” scans.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/1259264469554720768

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Refresh my memory - Panders is the Archie Sonic guy?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Refresh my memory - Panders is the Archie Sonic guy?

Penders, and yeah, he's the guy who basically sued Archie for his Original Characters, and won because Archie's lawyers were essentially the equivalent of legal tapioca.

Hostile V
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

The dude sucks but this is a new and exciting dimension of "christ, what an rear end in a top hat". A lot of people like to hate-read his works because it's legitimately bad and weird wish-fulfillment special interest pandering but, like, I think that well has been tapped dry a while ago and people still keep him in their mind filed under "eccentric weirdo" when in actuality he's always been kind of a sex pest gently caress but people get hung up on how his weird comic is bad.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

There's an entire thread where he can be discussed more if you must, but something to know is that he has proudly stated that he considers his original character, Pepé-Le-Pew-but-He's-James-Bond, to have hosed an underaged teenager before Sonic could. Said OC was explicitly like 30. Said teenager was the female lead of the book and also like 15-16 and Sonic's love interest.

That is the kind of rear end in a top hat Penders is.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The only reason Penders won that case is because he stole the contract stating he was work for hire and all creations were owned by Archie when he was fired. Allegedly.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
I heard it was the contract was lost when an office burned down.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Penders set the place on fire.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
the newest chud meme going around

https://twitter.com/NiftuCal/status/1261723837474971650?s=20

firstly, Sailor Moon is feminist as gently caress
secondly, Squirrel Girl has always looked that way ever since Steve loving Ditko created her in 91'

OH NO he's another SJW feminist ruining comics!!!

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

“I get not wanting every female character to look like a cheesecake pinup, but why doesn’t every female character look like a cheesecake pinup?”

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Squirrel Girl was drawn hot in Bendis' New Avengers when she was Luke Cage and Jessica Jones' baby-sitter, it was weird.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I know they’re just chuds arguing in bad faith anyway, but... it’s a loving comedic comic book where the whole style is meant to be goofy as poo poo with everyone doing stupid expressions.

How are they so consistently bad at this poo poo?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I know they’re just chuds arguing in bad faith anyway, but... it’s a loving comedic comic book where the whole style is meant to be goofy as poo poo with everyone doing stupid expressions.

How are they so consistently bad at this poo poo?

They don't actually read or like comics.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Kurui Reiten posted:

They don't actually read or like comics.

That's unfair, they just prefer the vastly superior comics of the 90's, like, uh

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1262565326929133568?s=19

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Skwirl posted:

That's unfair, they just prefer the vastly superior comics of the 90's, like, uh

Either Sicarii or Zealot would have been a more appropriate name. Also the victims of Masada (or suiciders or whatever) were kind of responsible for killing Jews as well (I remember my rabbi bringing up this point in kind of a sad way) so...mixed messages..maybe?

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
and the tweet's been deleted lol

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

BoosterDuck posted:

and the tweet's been deleted lol

Anyone have a screenshot?

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

Samovar posted:

Anyone have a screenshot?

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
They just want to bop their dicks. Character development and writing only matter if they can shield themselves with the 'good old days' and prove that new women characters are bad but show they're not totally not sexist (all while rambling in a tirade with words like 'cum dumpster' and 'whore').

Ryan North did a great job on Squirrel Girl's design. Beats the creepy clown get-up of the original.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Ryan North did a great job on Squirrel Girl's design. Beats the creepy clown get-up of the original.
Erica Henderson. Ryan North was the writer.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Going to say that relying on dead members of a racial group is a bad power. It has some disturbing implications if she ever has to power up.

"Oh man, Deathkiller2000 is so strong, I... need... more... power..." side eyes a Synagogue "Hmmmm..."

How has no one replaced the middle image with one of the CG designed abominations?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Anora posted:

Going to say that relying on dead members of a racial group is a bad power. It has some disturbing implications if she ever has to power up.

"Oh man, Deathkiller2000 is so strong, I... need... more... power..." side eyes a Synagogue "Hmmmm..."

As was pointed out later, it is 100% where Dickie Meyers got the idea for his character with 'the power of a 1000 slaves!'

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Skwirl posted:

Squirrel Girl was drawn hot in Bendis' New Avengers when she was Luke Cage and Jessica Jones' baby-sitter, it was weird.

Bendis also very strongly implied that she had slept with Wolverine, which is incredibly creepy and I have no idea what he was thinking

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Skwirl posted:

I have taken terrible psychic damage from seeing this and other related images.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Barry Convex posted:

Bendis also very strongly implied that she had slept with Wolverine, which is incredibly creepy and I have no idea what he was thinking

I'm shocked that Bendis would handle a character poorly in his Avengers run. Absolutely shocked. :geno:

In fairness to Bendis on Squirrel Girl (he does not get this leeway on any other character), Squirrel Girl appeared in that story that got dumped in the Marvel Superheroes anthology book that existed to print some file drawer stories, then over ten years later got used in GLA which is of dubious continuity where I don't think her age comes up, and that's literally all of her appearances. So the GLA Squirrel Girl is aged at vaguely "young adult" and also makes people go, "This Squirrel Girl character is pretty fun!" so that's where Bendis is coming from he brought her over to his Avengers run. Ryan North brought her age more back in line with the original appearance.

I agree that Wolverine sleeping with any young adult is pretty creepy, though.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

There was also that delightful issue of Wolverine where Emma went into his head and saw a busty Doreen behind a door marked 'Sexual Fantasies.' Also included Jessica Jones because why not, I guess.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

There was also that delightful issue of Wolverine where Emma went into his head and saw a busty Doreen behind a door marked 'Sexual Fantasies.' Also included Jessica Jones because why not, I guess.

Wolverine is like 150 years old, he's going to be a problematic fave at best.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Did a Facebook live Q&A for a Canadian comic shops telethon thing, and of course:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

:smith:

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

That soul caliber or w/e costume is a loving disaster, holy poo poo, it's incoherent and overcrowded. Like if you're going to design a cheesecake outfit, fine, cool, good, design one that doesn't look like it was assembled at random out of the dumpster behind a costume store

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Did a Facebook live Q&A for a Canadian comic shops telethon thing, and of course:

Ahahahaha

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

capitaldelendaest posted:

That soul caliber or w/e costume is a loving disaster, holy poo poo, it's incoherent and overcrowded. Like if you're going to design a cheesecake outfit, fine, cool, good, design one that doesn't look like it was assembled at random out of the dumpster behind a costume store

Ivy being absurdly oversexualized is not even something people argue about. They have literally made her bust bigger and her costume smaller ever single game she shows up in. It's like a running joke. Even the shittiest parts of the SC fandom were like "maybe tone it back a bit" before it became illegal to say that because of SJWs.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Guys is it gay to read Immortal Hulk?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

:stare:

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Again with the “I understand why this is, but I’m going to continue talking and confirm that I really don’t” thing, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I have an old Spider-Man comic where Peter is at a pool party in cut-off denim and a sleeveless crop top that says "Wild Thing." Making Peter hunky has been a thing for awhile, probably since shortly after Stan Lee stopped writing him, and nerds who grew up reading and identifying with him started writing him.