Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Yeah I thought maybe the same thing about the top.

I’m not in a particular rush I just don’t have a table saw (have a circular saw and a borrowed miter saw) so any potential projects I might be thinking about have to either wait or make do.

I had a look at the popular job site saws in Home Depot the other day and was seriously unimpressed. Portability is not a need I have and maybe it’s just because they were display models but the fences seemed incredibly unreliable (I know that many people upgrade anyway). Lockdown was weak and deflection seemed common.

If I can’t find anything decent near me on Craigslist/Facebook I’ve been considering the delta 36-725T2 from Lowe’s. Stores don’t seem to actually carry it though so looks like another $100 for shipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Elysium posted:

How’s this one look?

That's about what it's worth. I remember those from the '80s. It's not a keeper, but it's ~better than no tablesaw~ and the sled, rollaround base, and miter gauge should ease your pain. Those and the overall description tell me the owner knows enough that he's gotten his money's worth out of it and ready to upgrade. You might do likewise.

edit
I’ve been considering the delta 36-725T2

That contractor saw is the natural upgrade from the craftsman and much more satisfaction. If you can find one with extended arms and unifence for reasonable, go for it.

Mr. Mambold fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 17, 2020

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Speaking of upgrading, maybe it's time to sell my dewalt DW745 table saw and buy something beefier.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

I made a little kerfing plane out of some white oak and a ryoba saw blade. Still should figure out a fence situation, but for now clamping a straightedge down works well enough.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
I took some sand from my daughter's sandbox and tried sand shading for the first time. Turned out great, this lotus flower looks pretty sweet with a bit of depth.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Meow Meow Meow posted:

I took some sand from my daughter's sandbox and tried sand shading for the first time. Turned out great, this lotus flower looks pretty sweet with a bit of depth.

gat dammit dude you're a treasure. You going to oil that or just leave as is?

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
That’s is just beautiful. Man you are talented!

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
Thanks guys. It will be hit with some shellac once it gets glued down to a substrate, it's straight up veneer right now.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Hello thread, I'm starting in on woodworking essentially from scratch, knowledge wise. The first month of quarantine left me with time to finally sand and stain my shed, plus money to buy necessary tools. So I bought a sheet sander and when I found it really fun to use, I built a couple floating shelves for my shed and wife's plants (really just cutting a board down, sanding and staining the pieces). I want to build a couple freestanding shelves to hold stuff we've got on ugly IKEA tables and in overstuffed closets next, so I ordered a leftie-friendly circular saw.

My question is: are there any small specialty tools I may find I need to feel equipped to do this or other beginner projects? I never took a shop class so I don't know the names of different tools or what they can do. I'm using cut boards from Lowe's and Home Depot that just need sanding and staining (and a little bit of rounding on the corners). I'm not looking to spend a ton more money, but I also know that if I get halfway into this project and run into a common obstacle, unaware of a certain tool and technique that can help me get around it, I'm much more likely to just make something kind of crappy than I am to stop, look up the many different tools available to me, and put the work on hold until I can get one. So if there's a consensus on what tools you need once you've got a sander, saw, and drill (plus safety and ancillary equipment), I'd like to know in advance.

Just as an example, I really wasn't prepared to deal with the bow in the lumber I got for my freestanding shelves, so they sit a little concave on the wall. Not the biggest deal, but I don't have the first idea whether that's a simple fix with the right tool (a plane?) or if I just needed to get better wood. I'm relying on contactless pickup for this stuff right now, which complicates that further.

The first page of the thread was already super helpful, though the images no longer load. I got a used copy of The Complete Woodworker's Companion, and have bookmarked freeww.com. My saw will arrive in ten days or so and then I'll probably get right to work, so any advice will be very much appreciated!

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Hello thread, I'm starting in on woodworking essentially from scratch, knowledge wise. The first month of quarantine left me with time to finally sand and stain my shed, plus money to buy necessary tools. So I bought a sheet sander and when I found it really fun to use, I built a couple floating shelves for my shed and wife's plants (really just cutting a board down, sanding and staining the pieces). I want to build a couple freestanding shelves to hold stuff we've got on ugly IKEA tables and in overstuffed closets next, so I ordered a leftie-friendly circular saw.

My question is: are there any small specialty tools I may find I need to feel equipped to do this or other beginner projects? I never took a shop class so I don't know the names of different tools or what they can do. I'm using cut boards from Lowe's and Home Depot that just need sanding and staining (and a little bit of rounding on the corners). I'm not looking to spend a ton more money, but I also know that if I get halfway into this project and run into a common obstacle, unaware of a certain tool and technique that can help me get around it, I'm much more likely to just make something kind of crappy than I am to stop, look up the many different tools available to me, and put the work on hold until I can get one. So if there's a consensus on what tools you need once you've got a sander, saw, and drill (plus safety and ancillary equipment), I'd like to know in advance.

Just as an example, I really wasn't prepared to deal with the bow in the lumber I got for my freestanding shelves, so they sit a little concave on the wall. Not the biggest deal, but I don't have the first idea whether that's a simple fix with the right tool (a plane?) or if I just needed to get better wood. I'm relying on contactless pickup for this stuff right now, which complicates that further.

The first page of the thread was already super helpful, though the images no longer load. I got a used copy of The Complete Woodworker's Companion, and have bookmarked freeww.com. My saw will arrive in ten days or so and then I'll probably get right to work, so any advice will be very much appreciated!

Picking better wood will definitely help, even at the big box stores. Spend some time picking through the pile, sight all the way down a board by eye and you'll be able to see which ones are cupped/bowed/twisted.

Get some clamps. The very cheap F-style clamps from Harbor Freight are, in this hobbyist's opinion, fine, and they're cheap enough that you can just get a whole ton of them and always have another clamp or two to try to bring something straight or square or flush.

I think you'd get a lot of mileage out of a pocket hole jig. It's basically the easiest way to join two boards at a right angle without learning a shitton of technique and still being moderately strong.

As a new dabbling hobbyist, you probably don't need a table saw, and I want to recommend against the mistake I made, which was buying the cheapest Ryobi table saw, because "it's probably fine" and "I don't really need the bells and whistles". Don't get me wrong, I love my table saw, but I hated my lovely Ryobi and avoided using it whenever possible. You should make a decent ($400-700) investment in a table saw, and if you just want to explore the hobby, you can definitely get by without it. If you find yourself itching to rip stock to any width and cut dados and rabbets and build jigs, save up a little bit and get a nice table saw.

I will recommend getting a miter saw, however. Getting nice, clean, straight, square crosscuts with minimal setup and minimal fuss is a game changer. The 10" Ryobi I got for like $90 has been working fine for me for 4 or 5 years, so it's a pretty small investment.

Get some squares: I'd recommend getting a 12" combination square, a speed square, and a carpenters square. Whatever they got at Home Depot is fine. You can upgrade to a fancy German-engineered one if you feel like you need to later.

I'd recommend checking out Ana White and Steve Ramsey on youtube. Ana White has tons of furniture designs that generally don't involve any cuts you can't make with a miter saw or a circ saw with a straight edge, a drill, and a pocket hole jig. Steve Ramsey has tons of videos on woodworking with a relatively limited set of tools, mostly focused on teaching concepts (although now he's just doing near-daily videos of whatever he's working on, but, you know, Rona).

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Brains trust, I could use some advice.

I recently bought a second hand 'reclaimed wood' dining table that I'm not in love with, but it's a step up from what we had before. Still, it's sturdy and has a nice hidden leaf extension.

It has multiple white water marks on the top and I've heard you can remove them with some heat (like a low iron on a towel) but I'm tempted to strip it and start over. The finish is very dark reddish brown and its too dark for our place. My wife is suggesting painting the legs and chairs a light grey or white and just getting the top to a lighter wood.

From other nicks and wear I can tell it's quite light pine. My instincts are just to strip the poo poo out of it, scrape and sand down to the bare wood, then stain with some minwax and varnish. From reading the thread I've gathered there are other methods that might give a nicer finish. Any suggestions or resources you recommend?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Meow Meow Meow posted:

This is gonna look really incredible under finish. What is the dark brown/purple wood in the basketweave? East Indian Rosewood or walnut or something?

Grumio posted:

Brains trust, I could use some advice.

I recently bought a second hand 'reclaimed wood' dining table that I'm not in love with, but it's a step up from what we had before. Still, it's sturdy and has a nice hidden leaf extension.

It has multiple white water marks on the top and I've heard you can remove them with some heat (like a low iron on a towel) but I'm tempted to strip it and start over. The finish is very dark reddish brown and its too dark for our place. My wife is suggesting painting the legs and chairs a light grey or white and just getting the top to a lighter wood.

From other nicks and wear I can tell it's quite light pine. My instincts are just to strip the poo poo out of it, scrape and sand down to the bare wood, then stain with some minwax and varnish. From reading the thread I've gathered there are other methods that might give a nicer finish. Any suggestions or resources you recommend?
Heat miiiiight work on your watermarks, but it depends on what caused the marks and and what kind of finish it is.

What color do you want it? Can you post pics? Pine can be a little bit tricky to stain evenly. If you haven't done it before (and even if you have) stripping stuff really kind of sucks and makes a big mess.

As far as what finish to use, varnish is fine, but something like danish oil or waterlox gives a great finish and is pretty easy to use. It has the advantage too that if it gets scratched up you can just rub some more oil on and very easily refresh the finish.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Sadly my accountant has recommended against me spending three grand on a table saw using company money.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

:sever:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

Sadly my accountant has recommended against me spending three grand on a table saw using company money.
They didn't see the obvious synergy inherent in 'JB's Custom Cabinetry and Computer Touching' :confused:

Also,

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

They didn't see the obvious synergy inherent in 'JB's Custom Cabinetry and Computer Touching' :confused:

Specifically there's nothing stopping me from doing exactly that, but their recommendation was to not mix revenue streams since I'm VAT registered for the computer touching so it'd inflate my woodworking prices by 20% out of the gate. Also that I'd have to be really dang sure the main purpose of the purchase is to make a go of it as a business, there's apparently not much appetite for capital purchases that are only partially business use.

Probably nobody would ever know and if I got audited I'd likely at worst just have to pay back taxes and interest, but it's probably not worth it for... something like a 40% discount.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Speaking of upgrading, maybe it's time to sell my dewalt DW745 table saw and buy something beefier.

How much?

Elder Postsman posted:

I made a little kerfing plane out of some white oak and a ryoba saw blade. Still should figure out a fence situation, but for now clamping a straightedge down works well enough.

What's this for, at risk of sounding like I don't know woodsmithery very well?

I'd like a recommendation for a nice but not super expensive ryoba saw, I've gotten a lot of use from the £20 I've I got from Amazon a couple of years ago and I'd like to upgrade.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Couple grand, maybe?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3384038&pagenumber=277#post504967933

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

cakesmith handyman posted:

What's this for, at risk of sounding like I don't know woodsmithery very well?

Yeah I didn't know what it was until recently either. It's mainly for running a saw kerf down a board so it's easier to cut it straight.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

This is gonna look really incredible under finish. What is the dark brown/purple wood in the basketweave? East Indian Rosewood or walnut or something?

You got it first guess, East Indian Rosewood.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Thanks for all the helpful words!

more falafel please posted:

Picking better wood will definitely help, even at the big box stores. Spend some time picking through the pile, sight all the way down a board by eye and you'll be able to see which ones are cupped/bowed/twisted.
Sigh! I'll have to suck it up and go into the store to look myself instead of relying on the contactless pickup. People at Home Depot in Texas are being really bad about masks and distancing.

quote:

Get some clamps. The very cheap F-style clamps from Harbor Freight are, in this hobbyist's opinion, fine, and they're cheap enough that you can just get a whole ton of them and always have another clamp or two to try to bring something straight or square or flush.
I got some also very cheap mini clamps (it says D style?) with the saw, and according to the reviews they're strong enough for everything except gluing, so I'll look into some F style clamps if I have trouble with them or need to glue boards together.

quote:

I think you'd get a lot of mileage out of a pocket hole jig. It's basically the easiest way to join two boards at a right angle without learning a shitton of technique and still being moderately strong.
This is great, thank you! I was probably setting myself up for failure trying to join everything at 90 degree angles by hand. This looks great.

quote:

miter saw, table saw

Ah, okay this makes sense, I wasn't totally confident in my ability to cut fine detail or precise angles with the circular saw, even using a jig and bevel, so the miter saw is a helpful complement at a more or less reasonable price. A table saw is out of the question right now anyway due to space limitations.

quote:

Get some squares
Also very helpful, thanks!

Cognac McCarthy fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 19, 2020

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I tried to buy a sander yesterday at at Home Depot, I saw online they had 3 in stock, so I ordered one for pick up in store. They said we’ll notify you when your order is ready. A full day later, no notification. The next day I get notified that my order is cancelled because they are out of stock.

What the hell is the point of pick up in store if that doesn’t actually reserve me the item? I could have just gone to the store and grabbed one off the shelf when there were 3 in stock.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Elysium posted:

I tried to buy a sander yesterday at at Home Depot, I saw online they had 3 in stock, so I ordered one for pick up in store. They said we’ll notify you when your order is ready. A full day later, no notification. The next day I get notified that my order is cancelled because they are out of stock.

What the hell is the point of pick up in store if that doesn’t actually reserve me the item? I could have just gone to the store and grabbed one off the shelf when there were 3 in stock.

I ordered a bunch of lumber and trim from HD that was all listed "in stock." A week later it was still "processing" and nobody at the HD ever picked up the phone so I cancelled it and got it from Lowe's in two days. Some companies are not really handling this increased delivery/pick up world very well.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Elysium posted:

"In Stock" actually means somewhere in the building at one point and time. It could of walked out the door, it could be buried in the top racks...:iiam: HD is constantly blaming their inventory problems on theft and putting more cameras in the stores but I have a feeling their receiving, stocking, and inventory processes are more to blame.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I couldn’t help but laugh at those constantly beeping “you are being recorded” notifications by the tools section, when literally every person in the store has their entire face covered by a mask.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Elysium posted:

I couldn’t help but laugh at those constantly beeping “you are being recorded” notifications by the tools section, when literally every person in the store has their entire face covered by a mask.

Trying to keep the politics out of this one, but it's been interesting to see the about face the UK has taken, as it was moving more and more heavily towards effectively outlawing face coverings in public so everyone can be face ID'd by police, to suddenly encouraging or demanding they be worn.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I also ran into the mysterious HD cancellation issue, but only a single item from my order was cancelled. When I went to pick up the rest of it they were getting hammered at curbside (or just woefully understaffed, or both) and there was a line probably 100 people long to get in to the store. If I was some random guy who was staring at a line of 20+ cars idling in the heat and triple my normal volume of online orders I'd definitely be grabbing poo poo as fast as I can, if it's not immediately visible and I have to grab a ladder or whatever to go track that poo poo down it's just not in stock right now. I don't blame them, either. I do blame HD at large though.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Jaded Burnout posted:

Trying to keep the politics out of this one, but it's been interesting to see the about face the UK has taken, as it was moving more and more heavily towards effectively outlawing face coverings in public so everyone can be face ID'd by police, to suddenly encouraging or demanding they be worn.

Meanwhile in France (Bhurka ban)

“Today in France it is simultaneously possible for a woman to be fined €165 for being in public with a face covering and €135 for being in public without a face covering”

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

I was picking up another 4"x10' PVC pipe for dust collection and the guy at curbside started to load it into the back of my 2 door Wrangler from the side. Had to tell him I can't drive with wings, bring it in from the back to the front. :downs:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

That Works posted:

Meanwhile in France (Bhurka ban)

“Today in France it is simultaneously possible for a woman to be fined €165 for being in public with a face covering and €135 for being in public without a face covering”
Alabama (and I imagine many other southern states) has Civil Rights-era laws on the books banning wearing a mask in public as an anti-Klan thing and a few cities also have ‘you must wear a mask’ ordinances in place and it’s a similar deal.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Heat miiiiight work on your watermarks, but it depends on what caused the marks and and what kind of finish it is.

What color do you want it? Can you post pics? Pine can be a little bit tricky to stain evenly. If you haven't done it before (and even if you have) stripping stuff really kind of sucks and makes a big mess.

As far as what finish to use, varnish is fine, but something like danish oil or waterlox gives a great finish and is pretty easy to use. It has the advantage too that if it gets scratched up you can just rub some more oil on and very easily refresh the finish.

So currently it's pine, with a dark reddish stain and a fairly thick clear top coat. There are also some scratches that would have to be recoloured anyway.

I'm aware that it's probably fake distressed/salvaged wood, but it's way better than what we had before (1970s rattan with glass top :barf:), just too dark for our space. It's even a little darker than the picture shows.

Painting the legs and chairs saves having to strip, sand and refinish them (a fiddly process), so I'll try focus my time on the top.

Because of the 'distressed' nature of the table, there are real or simulated nail holes that are quite dark in colour that I'm hoping can be lightenef with mild sanding. I'm aiming for a maple-colour stain but that might look bad the top has lots of dark spots or uneven staining.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Elysium posted:

HD is in a horrible state of disarray. Lowes as well. I have to hand pick redwood 2x12s and there might be 3 dregs on a rack and no sign of a fresh pack anywhere, even if it says online that there are 80+ in stock. Nobody in the stores can be bothered to actually get shelves restocked even when they have fresh pallets above. They have shorter shopping hours so they can get inventory stocked properly, but they don’t seem to be doing that.

Fake Edit: my local lumber folks will only order 30 piece packs of 2x12 redwood.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
They must be counting inventory as in stock it gets on a truck.

Last Friday the website showed 3 of the table saws I wanted, so drove down to find empty shelf. Rounded up an employee, told me I was out of luck. Went home and bought online. Got my order is ready email to pick it up on Tuesday. A 3 day wait for an item “in stock”.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

savesthedayrocks posted:

They must be counting inventory as in stock it gets on a truck.

Last Friday the website showed 3 of the table saws I wanted, so drove down to find empty shelf. Rounded up an employee, told me I was out of luck. Went home and bought online. Got my order is ready email to pick it up on Tuesday. A 3 day wait for an item “in stock”.

Or they count them instore and dont care if they sell it before you show up because they still sold it and you might buy something else, you might not... but you will still go back in the future either way so win win for them. Such a lovely system

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Grumio posted:

So currently it's pine, with a dark reddish stain and a fairly thick clear top coat. There are also some scratches that would have to be recoloured anyway.

I'm aware that it's probably fake distressed/salvaged wood, but it's way better than what we had before (1970s rattan with glass top :barf:), just too dark for our space. It's even a little darker than the picture shows.

Painting the legs and chairs saves having to strip, sand and refinish them (a fiddly process), so I'll try focus my time on the top.

Because of the 'distressed' nature of the table, there are real or simulated nail holes that are quite dark in colour that I'm hoping can be lightenef with mild sanding. I'm aiming for a maple-colour stain but that might look bad the top has lots of dark spots or uneven staining.

Currently? Is it from a changeling species? You probably want to take it outside in this weather on sawhorses and get some of the hottest chem stripper out there, mask and glove up and go to town. That's way too much area to use a heat gun, imo. Read instructions. Strip, scrape, sand. I don't think you can sand out actual holes, either, ftm, but you may be able to put filler in them after you've taken the finish off.

Also, what you're looking at is a maple type stain, although there's a huge variance in what makers call what, colorwise. You may want to go with a slightly tinted clear topcoat afterward.

Also, it may well be salvaged wood, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Even if it's fake distressed (probably) they did a good job of that, and it's real pine.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
Has anyone made a miter saw fence before? I'd like to make a few for doing really small cutoffs at 0, 30, and 45 degree angles, and it would be lovely if I didn't get small cutoffs getting sucked in/ejected (god that poo poo is scary)

How hard is it? My first thought is to drill holes through the frame for mounting, and just make a long L-profile to stretch across the fence.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

HolHorsejob posted:

Has anyone made a miter saw fence before? I'd like to make a few for doing really small cutoffs at 0, 30, and 45 degree angles, and it would be lovely if I didn't get small cutoffs getting sucked in/ejected (god that poo poo is scary)

How hard is it? My first thought is to drill holes through the frame for mounting, and just make a long L-profile to stretch across the fence.

Having a hard time envisioning what you are thinking of.

In unrelated news: Prepared to do some flattening!
(well, after I have the blade properly sharpened.)

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Hasselblad posted:

Having a hard time envisioning what you are thinking of.

Glad I wasn't the only one.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

He's saying this doesn't have good support for small cut-offs

And he wants to build something like this

For which I'll link the video I found by googling by a guy I trust anyhow:
https://youtu.be/rOwZhKX95HM

Easier version:
https://youtu.be/BwGD-0ouBUg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

HolHorsejob posted:

Are you talking about something to block in between the saw and you on the outside? I have not seen that done and I’d think it would be more difficult to use the saw correctly and safely. I’d recommend wearing glasses and maybe putting on an apron if you’re worried about a small cutoff hitting you in the body. The direction of the saw will pull it into the fence though, so it won’t have much for momentum if it bounces back toward you.

A mitre saw fence continues along the back and helps keep your piece square to the machine which is why no one is really sure what you’re talking about. If you’re talking about making a sacrificial fence like you’d make for a cross cut table saw sled, just make it an L with the base long enough that your blade can’t cut through it. You’re reducing the total cut depth of it though. Or if your mitre saw has replaceable plates, just make a zero clearance one.