Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Having a friend turn really lovely and refusing to change or grow along with you is relatable, but it just goes too far in Pierce's case. Did they feel like they needed a villain for the show? Binging the show makes it stand out worse, since it looks like they're going for this interesting dynamic between Jeff and Pierce but then it just devolves into "Pierce is basically heartless"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

They just wrote Pierce to be Chevy, because he really was just like that.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Also, why has Britta dropped 40 iq points? “Britta’ing” feels kind of unwarranted

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Also, why has Britta dropped 40 iq points? “Britta’ing” feels kind of unwarranted

It's a combination of things. Gillian Jacobs had a lot of fun/talent at being goofy in her first comedic role, some of the writers of the first season like Hilary Winston that added depth to the character left, and the rushed production of the scripts led to some easy fallback jokes when things got tight.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s weird that Harmon always says Britta was his favourite character and the most like him when he changed her so much like that. I guess that’s self-hatred for you lol!

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zoXdWRhCFY

My favorite Britta thing is the subtle references to her having been abused by a man wearing a dinosaur costume.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s weird that Harmon always says Britta was his favourite character and the most like him when he changed her so much like that. I guess that’s self-hatred for you lol!

He is kinda of a mixture of Jeff, Britta, and Abed, and then it should be no surprise that the three most fleshed out characters are them. You can kinda see Jeff is more like his stand-in in season 1, and as the show gets farther along Jeff moves away from Harmon and splits into Britta/Abed, and that manifests in the portrait of Dorian Gray jeff/harmon idea: as Jeff becomes more and more infatuated with his own health and fashion, Harmon moves into a move slovenly, slothish pursuits.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SimonChris posted:

My favorite Britta thing is the subtle references to her having been abused by a man wearing a dinosaur costume.

I love the AMA Harmon did post-firing where someone asks if this happened and he point-blank just says “Yes”

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

For some reason I can't even explain I completely lost it at Abed's Nicolas Cage freakout.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

mcbexx posted:

For some reason I can't even explain I completely lost it at Abed's Nicolas Cage freakout.

The entire setup and execution of the concept is fantastic, and Shirley being a huge hellraiser fan is the cherry on top.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6Q_nlSULio

ngl I thought it was going to be live

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

lmao pedro is loving breaking down trying to get through the sperm deliveries

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Walton Goggins' delivery of those lines in the episode is pitch perfect in my mind, but Pedro did a great job.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That was so joyous.

Peeches
May 25, 2018

me too. but this okay too.
I actually have no recollection of this episode. I guess it's been too long since I made it to season 5

Peeches fucked around with this message at 02:40 on May 19, 2020

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
Loved that table read. I'm going to watch Pedro Pascal breaking up reading sperm a thousand times.

Also liked the Q&A part. Honestly, the movie is so close I can *taste* it. Them asking Donald about how his music career was going was great, and Donald saying Jim was the greatest rapper to wear that costume was amazing.

Regarding season 4, overall I liked it more than most. The puppet episode and the "we are all connected" episode were both rancid, but there's still a lot of good stuff: Freaky Friday, Inspector Spacetime convention, Jeff's dad, the Sophie B. Hawkins Dance, the Christmas party at Jeff's apartment. I also liked the finale, it felt true to Jeff's character.

mr. unhsib fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 19, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Pedro Pascal was an amazing addition, the moment he realized what he was reading was incredible :allears:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I just finished watching all of Community on Netflix. I don't think I've ever been this emotionally affected by the ending of a show. Community is strange because it had so much behind the scenes issues with cast members leaving and show runners changing and the final move to a defunct streaming service, so the first 3 seasons are a slow build. You learn to love the characters and the third season is such a comfortable watch of great episode after great episode, with an excellent finale, and you expect that to continue. And then season 4 feels like they've replaced the cast with homunculi and the fire's gone out (Sadie B Hawkins dance in the one exception.)

Then season 5 makes it all feel perfect again until Troy leaves, and from there it's like the warmth of the show slowly drains away. The characters don't feel like homunculi in series 5 and 6, but the show feels like its never going to recapture those really comfortable season 2 and 3 vibes.

It's is such a lighthearted show and the really emotionally affecting episodes happen because of things outside the writers' control, like crew leaving or the show ending. The saddest episodes, like the finale or Geothermal Escapism, would have never happened if the show had been more successful in the ratings or if Glover hadn't had other career interests, or Chevy hadn't had a falling out with the creator. It got these weighty moments thrust upon it and created the moments people remember the most.

In light of that season 4 is probably the biggest missed opportunity because they had the full crew and no good writing to pair it with. Huge moments like Jeff reconnecting with his father should have been one of those emotionally affecting moments. But without Harmon it feels hollow.

I'm hoping all the renewed interest and Netflix viewership leads to a movie. I don't know what the plot would be, another "save Greendale" plot might seem tired, and certain characters need to stay on their successful career paths which mean not being around Greendale. I guess a holiday could bring them all back to the city? Oh well, the writers will figure it out if Sony/Netflix/whoever actually wants to greenlight one.

More to the thread subject, season 1 has some great episodes but feels like they're trying to keep to sitcom format much and the show's premise much more than later seasons. Everything happens in the school, we see a lot more of classes going on, there are love triangles (which disappear completely after Season 2, episode 1) and only one experimental episode (paintball.) The elements are all there for how wacky seasons 2 and 3 became, but much more grounded in reality. I prefer that to some of what season 4 did when it tried to match the wackiness, because without a very certain sensibility it just falls flat.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 16:04 on May 19, 2020

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Best line delivery in the show, for me, is Jim Rash exclaiming "BARACK OBAMA IS A SCARED OF ME!" in his payday rap. Hot drat that slayed me .

Peeches
May 25, 2018

Eat This Glob posted:

Best line delivery in the show, for me, is Jim Rash exclaiming "BARACK OBAMA IS A SCARED OF ME!" in his payday rap. Hot drat that slayed me .

Jim Rash is the best. I haven't seen him in anything it seems lately.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

princess_peach posted:

He's been working on a movie and popping up in various places, like playing the Riddler in the Harley Quinn TV show.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Dawgstar posted:

He's been working on a movie and popping up in various places, like playing the Riddler in the Harley Quinn TV show.

I couldn't tell if making him a dean in Harley Quinn was a deliberate reference but it delighted me regardless.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

there's no such thing as a free caeser salad

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/darkestimeline/status/1262520241311145991

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dawgstar posted:

Oh poo poo that was him? That's awesome. I'm very glad they haven't killed him off yet.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Peeches posted:

He also cowrote and codirected that really odd Force Majeure remake Downhill.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Randallteal posted:

A weird thing about watching Community now is it also brings back so many actual memories from when I went to community college from 2008-2010. They nailed the look and feel of a community college campus and the atmosphere of cheap (mostly) good-natured optimism and suspended adolescence.
I went to Greendale for like a year (it's the LA community college campus that borders east hollywood and midcity). And yeah, they nailed the classrooms really well, with the lovely two-tone laminate and maybe radiators in the corners and glass slits on the windows and crappy blinds and the weird way light turns yellow in the classrooms. I think I sat in one of those rooms they used for Chem, too.

The campus really changed in recent years. That central green is pretty much the same, but they added a stadium/track, an updated chem lab, student services center and I think they renovated the gym. But yeah, they really nailed the eclectic assemblage of people that converge there.

Also, fun fact: when they do the shots of the quad/exterior/buildings, you might see those old tan Radiation signs pasted up in places. That's because the buildings were designated community shelters in case of atomic bomb attacks.

Ccs posted:

I'm hoping all the renewed interest and Netflix viewership leads to a movie. I don't know what the plot would be, another "save Greendale" plot might seem tired, and certain characters need to stay on their successful career paths which mean not being around Greendale.
Tear down Greendale. Bury it if you have to. Build a luxury apartment complex and expand the metro station in its place.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Ccs posted:

I'm hoping all the renewed interest and Netflix viewership leads to a movie. I don't know what the plot would be, another "save Greendale" plot might seem tired, and certain characters need to stay on their successful career paths which mean not being around Greendale. I guess a holiday could bring them all back to the city? Oh well, the writers will figure it out if Sony/Netflix/whoever actually wants to greenlight one.

The plot is already built in. The study group has to rescue Troy and LeVar Burton from pirates in the Gulf of Mexico.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Was there ever any explanation why the show was set in Colorado when they never really make use of the setting?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FilthyImp posted:

The campus really changed in recent years. That central green is pretty much the same, but they added a stadium/track, an updated chem lab, student services center and I think they renovated the gym. But yeah, they really nailed the eclectic assemblage of people that converge there.

I can just hear the Dean saying, "Just like a REAL college, am I right?"

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I forgot this happened

https://twitter.com/darkestimeline/status/1261762902329102339?s=20

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Was there ever any explanation why the show was set in Colorado when they never really make use of the setting?

I didn't even realise it was set in Colorado until Jeff whispered into Troy's ear as he leaves in season 5

Also I gotta say, the quality jump from Season 4 to Season 5 is palpable, especially when binging the entire series like I currently am.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I've been re-watching a bunch of the old Community Q&A panels and I recall Dan Harmon saying something along the lines that they picked Colorado to please the legal department of Sony or NBC. It's something related to the use of the names of characters, where if there's only like one person in the area with that name, your show could be construed to be about that person and open your show up to legal headaches, but if there are no people or lots of people with that name, then it's fine. If you watch What We Do In the Shadows, this might also explain why they had that second end-credits scene about the name Jackie Daytona.

I don't remember which interview or panel it was from, but I think it arose from a discussion about how they gave up on wrapping up the palm trees to disguise them as pine trees after Season 1.

Ancillary Character fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 20, 2020

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ancillary Character posted:

I've been re-watching a bunch of the old Community Q&A panels and I recall Dan Harmon saying something along the lines that they picked Colorado to please the legal department of Sony or NBC. It's something related to the use of the names of characters, where if there's only like one person in the area with that name, your show could be construed to be about that person and open your show up to legal headaches, but if there are no people or lots of people with that name, then it's fine. If you watch What We Do In the Shadows, this might also explain why they had that second end-credits scene about the name Jackie Daytona.

Something similar arose with Star Trek: Enterprise, in which the lead character was originally named Jackson Archer, and then Paramount's legal department discovered there was literally only one Jackson Archer in the entire United States, so they had to change the name.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Huh I assumed they put it in Colorado because it's in the center of the US and they wanted broad appeal. Also there are no real stereotypes about people from Colorado so the characters could seem like they came from anywhere.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I just figured it was because a lot of Colorado is just flat boring suburbs where nothing notable really happens and all the people are kind of in stasis. It's not something flashy like LA.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character
Reddit helped me find the panel with the answer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2fgZPe5i3g&t=2865s

Go to 47:45 if the time-stamp thing doesn't work.

Saucy_Rodent
Oct 24, 2018

by Pragmatica
No stereotypes about Colorado? The state that’s mostly millennial bartenders who live eight people per one bedroom apartment who moved there ostensibly for mountains but really for legal weed?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Saucy_Rodent posted:

No stereotypes about Colorado? The state that’s mostly millennial bartenders who live eight people per one bedroom apartment who moved there ostensibly for mountains but really for legal weed?

So Britta?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saucy_Rodent
Oct 24, 2018

by Pragmatica

Zedd posted:

So Britta?

Leonard likes this post!