Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Inspector 34 posted:

It's pretty great so far (I'm 6 eps in)! But on Hulu, not HBO.

HBO North over here, but cool. Gonna check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Ah, yeah I sometimes forget Hulu is US only. What's the process like for what service these shows end up on internationally? Is it just a straight up bidding war for every show, or do production companies have exclusive deals with Netflix/HBO/whoever for all of their stuff?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Great is pretty awesome, 5 eps in. Fanning and Hoult are both fantastic.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

MiddleOne posted:

Well Killing Eve jumped straight into a ditch. Why can't producers just let their creators shows end on graceful terms when their creators don't know where to go with things.

I'm curious why you think that, though I also get why you'd not be digging it.

I've been loving this season the past three episodes, last week's and tonight's in particular. It had a rocky start, but I think it's turning out just fine. There's no doubt it's fairly inconsistent with the season before, but season two fully lost the plot as well. I guess I've kind of just accepted that the change in showrunner each season has been working against it since PWB gave up the reins in the first place. It's never going to be that good again. There's still so much the show has to offer that I love, though.

If anything, I think this season is slowly returning the show to form. It's not as tight or well plotted as the first season, but it feels like it's going back to its roots and remembering that this series is, after all, supposed to be a kinda sexy, kinda schlocky spy thriller. The plot around The Twelve is unfortunately still murky at best, but unlike S2 they at least feel like a much more tangible thing once more. They should exist as this powerful entity that Eve and Villanelle are either running toward or away from as circumstances change. It doesn't need to be some grand conspiracy.

The first two episodes of this season were not great, tho. But I feel like after how S2 ended they were probably necessary to get where the show is now. As much as I love the finale of S2, it's a tricky thing for someone new to come in and try to continue on from there. There's so many ways to gently caress it up or make it super anticlimactic, the latter of which this season kinda ended up doing. I lowkey wish they had just ended it the way the second book had ended, instead tbqh, but the show had stopped being an adaptation and became more of its own thing after S1.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It's the meandering pace and complete lack of focus as to where the show is heading that gets to me. This episode opening with a certain someone being alive was just, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

The show still has all the stylistic flourish and the performances I enjoy and the last two episodes were great. But, I keep getting reminded that there's no cohesive whole here and very little of what goes on in the episodes ends up mattering.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

galenanorth posted:

Drunk History is a really good TV show and the segment of S01E01 with Elvis was laugh-out-loud funny
i havent seen it in years but i remember losing my poo poo at knoxville's:

he landed that helicopter like a bird, right outta the sky

or something

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Snowpiercer pilot good.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

esperterra posted:

Snowpiercer pilot good.

Law & Order: Snowpiercer.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Everyone keeps saying it's more of a police procedural as if that's a bad thing

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It’s not necessarily bad, it’s just funny that seemingly everything gets turns into a police procedural.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

galenanorth posted:

Drunk History is a really good TV show and the segment of S01E01 with Elvis was laugh-out-loud funny

Yeah, I appreciate that in general it's not only funny, but whatever research staff they have really do a good job.

If you like Drunk History, you might like Another Period, also on Comedy Central. It was created and stars Natasha Leggero and Riki Lindhome but some of the Drunk History crew were involved also. It's essentially a reality TV show parody about the ultra wealthy Gilded Age people who lived in Newport around 1900. Lots of cameos from good comedians playing historical figures. The plots are obviously not grounded in reality but a lot of the broader themes do reflect real historical issues and an understanding of the era. I had a friend who used to work at the Newport Historical Society and she remembers Natasha Leggero visiting to do research.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
How did Mythic Quest end up?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I didn’t completely love it, but it’s definitely good and worth a shot.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

Anyone watch HBO's The Great? I hadn't even known its been released if not for an errant cellphone ad.

Yeah it loving rules.

Everyone should watch it. It's a fictionalized version of Catherine the Great's rise to power.

The main thrust of the first season is she arrives in Russia to marry the emperor with naive dreams of benevolently guiding Russia into modernity with all the new ideas that are buzzing around Western Europe.

When she gets there, she finds out nearly everyone in the Russian court is a dumb prick, and she starts plotting a coup.

I think the thing that takes it from good to excellent is that they don't fall into the trap of making Catherine the stereotype of a hyper-competent woman struggling nobly against the patriarchy. She makes a bunch of dumb mistakes, and her compatriots have their failings as well.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 18, 2020

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Chairman Capone posted:

Yeah, I appreciate that in general it's not only funny, but whatever research staff they have really do a good job.

If you like Drunk History, you might like Another Period, also on Comedy Central. It was created and stars Natasha Leggero and Riki Lindhome but some of the Drunk History crew were involved also. It's essentially a reality TV show parody about the ultra wealthy Gilded Age people who lived in Newport around 1900. Lots of cameos from good comedians playing historical figures. The plots are obviously not grounded in reality but a lot of the broader themes do reflect real historical issues and an understanding of the era. I had a friend who used to work at the Newport Historical Society and she remembers Natasha Leggero visiting to do research.

If this clip doesn't sell you on Another Period, I don't know what will:
Not work safe for lady moaning noises.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yV8q6s4FgOo

Also, Umbrella Academy Season 2 coming July 31!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsigH18Brs0

swickles fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 18, 2020

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Note that if you’re around other people you’re gonna want headphones on for that Another Period clip.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Escobarbarian posted:

Note that if you’re around other people you’re gonna want headphones on for that Another Period clip.

I haven't left the house in so long I honestly didn't even think of the possibility of being around others... I threw in a disclaimer!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I literally had no choice but to tweet this

https://twitter.com/bown/status/1262446092727320576?s=21

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

As a librarian, I deliver a research lecture in a Disability Law class every semester, and I always show the Drunk History segment on the passage of Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, led by activists with disabilities (who are all played by actors with disabilities, which is something you very rarely see). It's a rousing and heartfelt clip focusing on part of the civil rights movement most people don't know anything about (but should), and I think it's important for students to see that level of representation, too.

This is the clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y505KwHp4O4

For anyone interested in such things, the recent Netflix documentary Crip Camp goes into even greater detail on the history of the disability rights movement, and it's awe-inspiring. Easily one of my favorite documentaries ever. I can't wait to recommend it to these law students.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 18, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

swickles posted:

l

Also, Umbrella Academy Season 2 coming July 31!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsigH18Brs0

Cannot wait for this. I loved the first season. I’m not sure why I loved the first season, but I did.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
There was a NYTimes article about the Blacklist finale that shed some light on :psyduck: whyyyyyy

a NYT article

quote:

The showrunners John Eisendrath and Jon Bokenkamp decided that if they couldn’t make it to the season-ending Episode 22, the narrative in Episode 19, which they had already begun shooting, would work as the Season 7 finale. But they had only shot half of its scenes, and out of order — how to salvage the material?

Eisendrath’s brother-in-law, Ron Frankel, is the president of a previsualization (previz) animation house called Proof, which has worked on “Wonder Woman,” among other blockbusters. The producers charged Proof with creating about 20 minutes worth of action in five weeks — a “ridiculous” request, Eisendrath said — and at the end of that time, “The Blacklist” had a completely revamped hybrid finale.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
:lol: so it literally was previs. It would have looked a million times better if they just did like static comic book panels, or even just a limited animation ala a motion comic.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

feedmyleg posted:

:lol: so it literally was previs. It would have looked a million times better if they just did like static comic book panels, or even just a limited animation ala a motion comic.

Alternatively, like every other show out there, just let it ride until the apocalypse is over.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, I had assumed this was a series finale and there was no option of them going back to film more. But as it stands it's just a boneheaded move all around.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

A gently caress me here we go. To my surprise I didn't hate the Snowpiercer pilot. It actually shows a lot of promise if they can ride it out.

The Great is also really great.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Yeah so today I discovered that I still had an ongoing subscription to Epix that I got for War Of The Worlds (which I never finished because everyone said it sucked in the end) a couple of months ago.

Subscription creep is a pain in the rear end.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Croatoan posted:

Yeah so today I discovered that I still had an ongoing subscription to Epix that I got for War Of The Worlds (which I never finished because everyone said it sucked in the end) a couple of months ago.

Subscription creep is a pain in the rear end.

I lost my credit card and had to get it replaced last year. i was honestly relieved because it shut off all the bullshit i've collected over the last 3~ years and never turned off.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I Know This Much Is True is the funniest show of the year

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Community table read is live on youtube now. Should be fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6Q_nlSULio

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Goddamn do I love The Shivering Truth it is just so uncomfortable to watch.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Community table read is live on youtube now. Should be fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6Q_nlSULio

They're all good but it's legit uncanny how Alison Brie slides back into a role she hasn't played in years.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Maxwell Lord posted:

They're all good but it's legit uncanny how Alison Brie slides back into a role she hasn't played in years.

She is insanely good.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I decided to watch the Netflix movie, Horse Girl, on a whim. I figured it was a slightly dark but ultimately goofy romance story, going by the description and the first few lines of a review I read...I was very wrong. It's a decent, soul-crushing movie though and I was shocked at how much Brie nailed the character basically having a 60-minute slow-roll breakdown.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Watching episode 3 of Strangers from Hell and it's tense as hell. With the exception of the pervert, everything seems to be pointing to the theme of the duality of man where he can present an image to the outside world when a darker, more violent side lies within with the example of the twins and the protagonist's daydreams. It's really quite creepy but I'm kinda hooked.

edit: About Extracurricular, yo... from episode 6, Kitae is the one who was having sex with that woman who was supposed to be that dude's wife! I hate him so much

TV Zombie fucked around with this message at 07:01 on May 19, 2020

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I can't stop buying complete series I love off iTunes when they go on sale. Mad Men, MASH, The Office, and X-Files are all recent purchases. Now I see Band of Brothers and The Pacific are a package deal for $19.99 so my buy finger is twitching despite owning the BoB box set and always having a sub to HBO soon to be HBO Max.

Is Yellowstone worth a watch? The show runner Taylor Sheridan has done some great stuff movie wise, but I haven't heard much buzz about this show. Is that because it is on the Paramount? I did read some reviews, and it looks like season 1 wasn't received well while season 2 showed improvement. I am tempted to buy season 1 (I'm in the mood for a western type show) since I don't have access to Paramount.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I had no idea Yellowstone even had a second season lol. Definitely remember reviews when it first premiered being very mediocre. I find Sheridan to be a mixed bag - I liked Sicario and Wind River well enough, but thought Hell and High Water was pretty bad - so I didn’t mind skipping it.

I’ve been rewatching Homecoming season 1 because s2 hits on Friday and I forgot how much it owned, drat. Esmail is an amazing director. It sucks he isn’t directing in s2 but I’m still cautiously optimistic.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

nate fisher posted:

Is Yellowstone worth a watch? The show runner Taylor Sheridan has done some great stuff movie wise, but I haven't heard much buzz about this show. Is that because it is on the Paramount? I did read some reviews, and it looks like season 1 wasn't received well while season 2 showed improvement. I am tempted to buy season 1 (I'm in the mood for a western type show) since I don't have access to Paramount.

It's quite popular on its own channel, and turns up on reddit often enough that it makes me think there miiiight be something to the show. But I've never watched it, plus, you know, reddit...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/SteveKornacki/status/1262740898653310977

Hey it's the first TV moral panic I remember. Sometimes when a character on a show talks about sucking dick or how someone is doing anal sex I recall these days and imagine what those people who were actually mad about single mom Murphy Brown must think

People were really concerned about Bart Simpson's sassmouth in 1990.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's quite popular on its own channel, and turns up on reddit often enough that it makes me think there miiiight be something to the show. But I've never watched it, plus, you know, reddit...

Reddit is one of the most astroturfed websites in existence, if posts about a current show or film that you've never heard of and which doesn't seem to have any real critical acclaim randomly keep topping the subreddit at best it means the people who work on it are posting about it a lot to self-promote and at worst there's an advertising campaign actually pushing that content.

Not even SA is immune to it, a guy who worked on the lovely Blair Witch Project reboot from a few years ago was hyping up that movie for months in CD and the guy who did marketing for the studio distributing A Dangerous Method tried to turn Viggo Mortenson into a meme :viggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sleeveless posted:

Reddit is one of the most astroturfed websites in existence, if posts about a current show or film that you've never heard of and which doesn't seem to have any real critical acclaim randomly keep topping the subreddit at best it means the people who work on it are posting about it a lot to self-promote and at worst there's an advertising campaign actually pushing that content.

Not even SA is immune to it, a guy who worked on the lovely Blair Witch Project reboot from a few years ago was hyping up that movie for months in CD and the guy who did marketing for the studio distributing A Dangerous Method tried to turn Viggo Mortenson into a meme :viggo:

There’s actually a shill in the Google Stadia thread in games who gave up pretending that he’s not a google employee, it’s hilarious. The subreddit for that is also pretty great, there’s a fair few people that make typos that are common in Filipino English (e.g “tradicional” instead of “traditional”) and nowhere else trying to talk about how much they love something that’s not available over there. All new accounts that only post on there. It’s so transparent.

The TV and movie subreddits are notably worse when it comes to shilling, but the whole site is full of people reposting stuff to get karma on an account so they can sell it to a marketing company.