Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

One short of a can per tire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

number 1 snake fan posted:

Who TF shines their tires lmao

San Diegans gotta buff that escalade

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

legion989 posted:

Trip report from Costco in Wilmington NC, staying with some family members.

Nobody has masks here, it's like 1 out of 20 wearing as mask or observing social distancing. Signs up outside Costco about putting a mask on but nobody is enforcing it, it seems insane.

Tons of meat here though there's a lot of plants nearby, but oddly zero TP or paper towels

I'm a security guard, costco just hired our company on a temp contract for entrance duty. Soon you'll be seeing security guys that are a lot more serious about the enforcement.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Washout posted:

I'm a security guard, costco just hired our company on a temp contract for entrance duty. Soon you'll be seeing security guys that are a lot more serious about the enforcement.

MUH FREEDOMS!!!!! but also want that dog and a free refill.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Washout posted:

Good. Pepper spray the poo poo out of the chuds and Karens flipping out. Collateral damage won't be as bad because the smart people will be wearing masks.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Washout posted:

Good. They’re not loving around at the ones in MA, time to regulate in less civilized parts of the world.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Ok Comboomer posted:

I mean as long as they’ve been through a freezer at some point the wife is really unlikely to get a worm or whatever

Trichinosis has been almost completely eliminated from the US hog population. Iirc between 2000 and 2010 there were something like ten cases. Look up the real statistics but the tldr was low single digits per year. The FDA went so far as to revise down the recommended cook temp for pork to an internal temp of 145.

Gotta say pork is WAY better when it’s not cooked into shoe leather.

Edit: CDC page on trichinosis https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/trichinellosis/epi.html

FDA internal temp chart referencing the 145 for pork - https://www.fda.gov/media/93628/download

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I wanna get into Sous Vide cooking, is there a good place or a thread to start? Costco sell the stuff I need to get started?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Trichinosis has been almost completely eliminated from the US hog population. Iirc between 2000 and 2010 there were something like ten cases. Look up the real statistics but the tldr was low single digits per year. The FDA went so far as to revise down the recommended cook temp for pork to an internal temp of 145.

Edit: CDC page on trichinosis https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/trichinellosis/epi.html

FDA internal temp chart referencing the 145 for pork - https://www.fda.gov/media/93628/download

To be entirely fair, however, I would not trust the US meat pipeline to be nearly as well-managed at the current moment, nor under the current presidential administration.

A lot of changes to poo poo like inspection protocols, standards, and staffing have gone down over the last three years to “cut unnecessary red tape” :chaostrump: before you even bring up how Covid’s been running rampant through the meat processing industry.

Like, if I were ever to bet on a time to see a major resurgence of livestock diseases and a possible contamination of the food supply, Covid-19 in year four of the Trump admin has pretty solid odds.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

I wanna get into Sous Vide cooking, is there a good place or a thread to start? Costco sell the stuff I need to get started?

Did you even bother to check GWS, or whatever it’s called now?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I found the thread, I missed it on my first pass through.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Cyrano4747 posted:

I almost never eat pork, especially pork chops, because all of my memories of it are it being extremely dry and tough. I make tenderloins sometimes but the dryness is just so ingrained in my memory that I only eat pork if it's slathered in BBQ sauce or something.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I almost never eat pork, especially pork chops, because all of my memories of it are it being extremely dry and tough. I make tenderloins sometimes but the dryness is just so ingrained in my memory that I only eat pork if it's slathered in BBQ sauce or something.

You’re missing out. Go buy some cheap Costco chops and see what decent pork tastes like.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Cartoon Man posted:

I don't believe I've ever seen a sous vide device at Costco, which is fairly surprising. I've been super happy with my Anova Nano, and despite the name it's handled everything up to a 16lb turkey with ease.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Enos Cabell posted:

I don't believe I've ever seen a sous vide device at Costco, which is fairly surprising. I've been super happy with my Anova Nano, and despite the name it's handled everything up to a 16lb turkey with ease.

Is that the $100 one on Amazon?

I would also need a food saver, I swear I’ve seen one at the Costco store. Gonna check next time I’m there.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Find thee a good tonkatsu recipe (I actually really like the Blue Apron one but there’s a jillion). Put that poo poo on everything—rice, ramen, bread, ramen, your hands....

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I've been using the instant pot sv I got at Costco to sous vide stuff

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Cartoon Man posted:

I would also need a food saver, I swear I’ve seen one at the Costco store. Gonna check next time I’m there.

Costco is super hit or miss on appliances. I had my eyes open for a basic coffee grinder for a while after they got rid of theirs up front as part of the COVID but just ended up grabbing one off amazon.

That isn’t to say they’ve never had one but I assume it’s one of those things where they’ll have a bunch for two months ever two years.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cartoon Man posted:

You can also sous vizzle with freezer ziploc bags. Just gotta suck out as much air as you can.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Manuel Calavera posted:

You can also sous vizzle with freezer ziploc bags. Just gotta suck out as much air as you can.

My biggest hang up with sous vide is all the bags that get used. It just seems so wasteful to basically toss a bag with every meal you cook.

But I’ll fully admit to being the weird one on this. I’ve been doing a lot to try and eliminate as much single use plastic bag and wrap type poo poo in my life as I can. Not going to even pretend to be all the way there but it sure as gently caress makes you notice it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I don’t think I eat enough meat to bother with sous vide. Other than eggs, what else is it good for?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Went to church. Some rear end in a top hat was smoking cigarettes in the line. Would lower his mask, puff, then raise it. Everyone gave him dirty looks, he gave no shits. Store employee turned away somebody in line with no mask, hurray! But they ignored the smoker...

They were sold out of the food saver but I got a pack of bags. Gonna order one on amazon.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Anybody seeing/not seeing chicken breasts, either the fresh ones in the meat case or the frozen ones? Running low on them and wondering if it's worth a trip built around them.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
The last two labs I’ve been in have had Anova sous vide machines for the purposes of maintaining hot water baths. Can attest those things run like tanks forever

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
https://twitter.com/TeaPainUSA/status/1262776145281519618

I didn't watch the video because I hate those things.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

My biggest hang up with sous vide is all the bags that get used. It just seems so wasteful to basically toss a bag with every meal you cook.

But I’ll fully admit to being the weird one on this. I’ve been doing a lot to try and eliminate as much single use plastic bag and wrap type poo poo in NY life as I can. Not going to even pretend to be all the way there but it sure as gently caress makes you notice it.

Apart from really long cooks where you want a vacuum seal, you can reuse ziplock or probably silicone bags. Buying meat in bulk at Costco and vacuum sealing/freezing it (food saver and chest freezer from Costco, naturally) has been a good way for us to save money and it probably reduces packaging waste, too. Most of the meat can be dropped into the sous vide in the bag you froze it in.

Ok Comboomer posted:

The last two labs I’ve been in have had Anova sous vide machines for the purposes of maintaining hot water baths. Can attest those things run like tanks forever

I think ours is 3 or 4 years old and going strong.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Manuel Calavera posted:

Dip it in the vide water while open all the way up to the top and then seal it. No sucking required!

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

david_a posted:

I don’t think I eat enough meat to bother with sous vide. Other than eggs, what else is it good for?

Things other than meat: I've made a nice chicken liver pate (okay, that's meat. sorry), flan, panna cotta, custard, egg bites, creme brulee (all in canning jars. I had a lot of loving eggs).
Also does a very good job of reheating brisket without overcooking.
If my items are already in vacuum sealed bags, then I use those to sous vide, other wise (like the reheating of brisket) I remember my pull top lunches and gen 1 capri sun pouches in the 80's and just use freezer bags.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

But I’ll fully admit to being the weird one on this. I’ve been doing a lot to try and eliminate as much single use plastic bag and wrap type poo poo in my life as I can. Not going to even pretend to be all the way there but it sure as gently caress makes you notice it.

I just view it as since meat is extremely input heavy compared to plastic, saving even one piece of meat from overcooking pays for itself in energy input of lots and lots of plastic. Or if you prefer, and since we are in the Costco thread the fact that I can buy in bulk (less packaging) and cook in a batch then freeze in that same bag until later, well it balances out.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

topenga posted:

Things other than meat: I've made a nice chicken liver pate (okay, that's meat. sorry), flan, panna cotta, custard, egg bites, creme brulee (all in canning jars. I had a lot of loving eggs).
Also does a very good job of reheating brisket without overcooking.
If my items are already in vacuum sealed bags, then I use those to sous vide, other wise (like the reheating of brisket) I remember my pull top lunches and gen 1 capri sun pouches in the 80's and just use freezer bags.

gently caress man, I would love an ice cold Capri Sun right now. Like really nice and cold. Like, ‘mom popped it in the freezer for fifteen minutes before you got home from school because she knows’ cold Capri Sun

It’s sixty degrees out and sunny and I want a joint and a Capri Sun Jesus Christ

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Who TF shines their tires lmao

People who wash/detail their cars on a regular basis. What an odd post.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Chinatown posted:

Maybe he thinks you use it on the treads

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fallom posted:

Dip it in the vide water while open all the way up to the top and then seal it. No sucking required!

Pppfff, but sucking is fun. Blowing? I can't figure out how to work the euphemism in there aside from said euphemism is fun.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

gently caress man, I would love an ice cold Capri Sun right now. Like really nice and cold. Like, ‘mom popped it in the freezer for fifteen minutes before you got home from school because she knows’ cold Capri Sun

It’s sixty degrees out and sunny and I want a joint and a Capri Sun Jesus Christ

AMEN my brother!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i put my straw in the bottom of the pouch because i dont follow the rules!!! :twisted:

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Chinatown posted:

Bougie waste of petroleum imo

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Bougie waste of petroleum imo

My full size sedan has a large displacement V8 and averages around 15mpg. :grin:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Chinatown posted:

My full size sedan has a large displacement V8 and averages around 15mpg. :grin:

Is it a former police cruiser too?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Ok Comboomer posted:

Is it a former police cruiser too?

No its a 2019. No cop brakes, cop tires, cop suspension for me. :sigh:

Its got a big trunk though, so Costco runs are no problem! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Chinatown posted:

No its a 2019. No cop brakes, cop tires, cop suspension for me. :sigh:

Hey no body fluids in the seats either