Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Butterfly Valley posted:

The best way to play monopoly is not to play monopoly and choose literally any other game not fundamentally designed to make you hate people

I'll just put this copy of Dokapon Kingdom away then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Battle Axe
Mar 30, 2011

Had a dream last night that Nintendo announced and simultaneously released remasters of both Ocarina of Time and Majoras Mask for Switch, then was solely disappointed when I woke up.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

ColdPie posted:

Chess is overrated because I'm real bad at it.

same but also because its one of those things people study to death and turn into a chore to try and play

see also: fighting games

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Once you master the En Passant the Grand Masters of Chess descend upon a beam of light to present you that black belt in being a heckin nerd.

I used to play a bunch of Chess leagues for school, cause I'm a giant heckin nerd :v:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Chess piece Tiers:

S: Queen, Sssssss kweeeen
A: Rook, this mother fucker can go just about anywhere
B: Bishop, decent zone control
C: Pawn, can become a queen with good planning, you get a lot of them
D: Knight, situational
F: King, King fuckin sucks, it's a liability.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Infinitum posted:

Once you master the En Passant the Grand Masters of Chess descend upon a beam of light to present you that black belt in being a heckin nerd.

I used to play a bunch of Chess leagues for school, cause I'm a giant heckin nerd :v:

I cant wait to own people on Switch Chess. I'm sure there will be no ranking system :twisted:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

The Battle Axe posted:

Had a dream last night that Nintendo announced and simultaneously released remasters of both Ocarina of Time and Majoras Mask for Switch, then was solely disappointed when I woke up.

I genuinely wonder how much effort it would take to just port the 3ds remakes. other than making it work for one screen rather than two I can't see how it would be that difficult

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'll just put this copy of Dokapon Kingdom away then

I don't think a game has ever made me more heated for no reason. Incredibly simple and silly things would set me off and make me horribly spiteful. Like, I'd even get the devil form and would just do terrible things like set the game back two hours just out of spite because someone changed my name by putting a space in front of it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Takoluka posted:

I don't think a game has ever made me more heated for no reason. Incredibly simple and silly things would set me off and make me horribly spiteful. Like, I'd even get the devil form and would just do terrible things like set the game back two hours just out of spite because someone changed my name by putting a space in front of it.

A friend of mine would dump all his points into strength so he could murder you, take your sword, and drop it on the ground. That game made us even worse people than we already are.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

star wars monopoly on pc owned

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Argue posted:

Remember two months ago when the narrative was that Nintendo has gone full evil by putting microtransactions into Animal Crossing, all because people noticed a warning about ingame purchases on the box

I too hate it when people make baseless and evil narratives about pure corporations that are dear to my heart!!!

When will the persecution on Nintendo kids end :cry:

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 19, 2020

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

KingSlime posted:

I too hate it when people make baseless and evil narratives
Correct.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

KingSlime posted:

I too hate it when people make baseless and evil narratives about pure corporations that are dear to my heart!!!

i hate it when you post

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

KingSlime posted:

Weird flex, but OK.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Pretty sure sure Nintendo's version of Uno Last Card will suck because you can't punish other players for not saying "UNO!" "LAST CARD!" like irl.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I'm just saying people don't think about nintendo the same way this thread does, no one is spending their free time crafting or invested in "nintendo is doomed" theories yet it crops up here every few pages. Maybe we visit different corners of the internet I dunno

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Someone posted funny pictures of Mario being sad which then reminded someone else of how people freaked out about Animal Crossing. It's not that deep dude.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

American McGay posted:

Someone posted funny pictures of Mario being sad which then reminded someone else of how people freaked out about Animal Crossing. It's not that deep dude.
How did people freak out about Animal Crossing? How could people freak out about Animal Crossing?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I don't remember anyone "freaking out." I remember people voicing concerns about paid microstansactions but no, no freak outs.

Its not that deep dude.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I definitely remember indignant threads on reddit

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I mean, if “Nintendo is doomed” stories cropped up a lot this century, it’s because Nintendo did, quite often, appear to be doomed.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Samurai Sanders posted:

How did people freak out about Animal Crossing? How could people freak out about Animal Crossing?

I mean there were people posting "where's my direct? How do I know mechanics that have existed since game 1 will still be around?!"

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

'appear' is subjective incarnate, which is why 'nintendoomed' is a meme. The only ones who think they look doomed are the ones with something in their eyes that makes them see things that aren't there.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

eonwe posted:

I definitely remember indignant threads on reddit

You see indignant people I see consumers weighing their opinions on their potential purchases. Nintendo does make some weird decisions worth discussing before you commit to some of their products, I wouldn't say that's controversial.

But also I'm cranky and irritated at work right now so I'll drop this because it's probably not a fun thread for anyone to follow

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Based on how much fun I was having with mario 3d world, I picked up mario 3d land on 3ds. It is quite fun. The general consensus on the internet seems to be that world is better than land, and I agree...but land is still very good. It's funny, land is basically a scaled down version of world (with unique levels)...very analogous to how the game boy mario land games were scaledowns of the NES mario games, but still quite good. In fact the scaling down generates a lot of charm for me; I'm having a blast. It does some cute tricks with the 3d that has tickled me too. What a great pair of games

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Viewtiful Jew posted:

We're in such a weird time with New Horizons. We know things but like, we don't even know if they'll be actual shops like the old villages had.

It's like how it felt in the months leading up to the in-depth previews/reviews of Breath of the Wild where we didn't even know if towns were going to be in the game.

Not really a freakout in retrospect

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

KingSlime posted:

You see indignant people I see consumers weighing their opinions on their potential purchases. Nintendo does make some weird decisions worth discussing before you commit to some of their products, I wouldn't say that's controversial.

It's more your use of 'pure' that set all this off. Right now, you rightly say they make weird decisions, but by using the word pure, you're connoting beyond weird. Nintendo is often framed as a malicious corporation just because they make money on their products. Oh no, they're litigious about their IP, pure evil. They make dumb decisions, but at the end of the day, none of it is beyond inconvenience. Even their online efforts are merely head scratch worthy.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Fair enough, I think what "triggered" me is this notion that people are maliciously saying nintendo is doomed or creating "narratives" but I'm pretty sure SA is the only place I ever hear that. Because hasn't Nintendo been printing money constantly since the 80s and has in fact never been in trouble? I thought their portables always carried them cozily during their less successful console runs

All corporations are definitely evil though

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You can be pro-consumer while also liking Nintendo stuff and thinking people who complain about Nintendo stuff are dumb.

Anytime anyone makes a positive comment about Nintendo in the Nintendo thread certain posters always try to turn it into some weird "sheeple defending the megacorporation who can do no wrong!" thing.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

Kikkoman posted:

Anybody have tips or strats to help make it all more manageable? I've been using Kunoichi mainly, and this 1cc hard mode run is all the help I've found so far. It has the original arcade soundtrack playing, which is a nice bonus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_rn9neQAv4

Been playing a little more: turns out the secret is to use Ninja. He's pretty slow but his nunchuck attacks hit both sides and just shred everything.

Also the game has infinite continues, and you'll still unlock everything without 1cc'ing it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I kind of hate that you have to play through Ninja Warriors in one sitting especially after how you can save your progress and take a break in Streets of Rage 4. The game looks fantastic but they didn't really modernize the important factor of "christ let me at least take a break and come back later"

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

KingSlime posted:

Don't get me wrong, Nintendo was cut throat starting out in video games and are still feeling the bite back from that to this day. But your matter of factness on their money making is somehow not apparent or enough for some. I had a bunch of stock in them for a bit and the stock reports about them were always so misinformed in their dealings compared to the average gamefaqs user. And those reports trickle down to 'game journalists' who don't know what or how stocks work and it becomes a cycle. Like when they report Nintendo stock dropped and then speculate it's because investors aren't happy about the performance of blah blah. I go check the stock and it's already back up past the pre drop. But the news is out that death is knocking at Nintendo's door.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

KingSlime posted:

Fair enough, I think what "triggered" me is this notion that people are maliciously saying nintendo is doomed or creating "narratives" but I'm pretty sure SA is the only place I ever hear that. Because hasn't Nintendo been printing money constantly since the 80s and has in fact never been in trouble? I thought their portables always carried them cozily during their less successful console runs

You should look on Twitter after Nintendo announces anything if you want to see the doomsday narrative in action. The best recent example that I can think of was the Pokédex “scandal” for Pokémon Sword and Shield, Twitter was buzzing about how Nintendo/Game Freak were killing the franchise instead of releasing another system seller.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

nintendo is screwing us again!!!!! remember that? remember

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

pokemon swsh actually did suck though

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
To be fair, depending on which instance you're referring to Nintendo probably was screwing us again.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
on one hand Nintendo is good. on the hand other Nintendo is bad. you could say Nintendo is a corporation of contrasts.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

botw2 when

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

January 2021 with the Switch 2 according to the leaks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

pokemon swsh actually did suck though

Yeah the outrage was justified there, what if game freak used their piles and piles of money to jazz up the franchise? DQXI or hell even persona 5 despite being a PS3 title show what RPGs are like when devs are given the resources and time to improve and polish the same formula for the next mainline entry