Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

thotsky posted:

Why don't we brush our teeth with hot water? We wash our dishes, clothes, and more importantly the rest of our bodies with hot water. It's not like it is terribly uncomfortable or anything. I think about this almost every day.

Hot water heaters are gross and I wouldn't recommend using hot tap water internally

As for your broader question though idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

thotsky posted:

Why don't we brush our teeth with hot water? We wash our dishes, clothes, and more importantly the rest of our bodies with hot water. It's not like it is terribly uncomfortable or anything. I think about this almost every day.

Even studies about washing your hands have shown no difference between warm and cold water. This study performed on bovine teeth using a toothbrushing machine also found no statistical difference: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19553720/

alnilam posted:

Hot water heaters are gross and I wouldn't recommend using hot tap water internally

I wouldn’t call it gross, but avoiding it is generally recommended as it can increase your exposure to heavy metals.

Kevin DuBrow fucked around with this message at 01:01 on May 18, 2020

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

any water hot enough to kill germs would burn the gently caress out of your gums

pretty sure we take hot showers not because it's necessarily any cleaner but because it just feels way nicer. cold showers suck! but they still get you clean

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

hot water breaks down oil and grime quicker too.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

hot water breaks down oil and grime quicker too.

Yeah I've always been skeptical of the methodology behind the study that showed water temp doesn't matter in hand washing. If it's just germs sure, but oil and grime protect a lot of germs and temperature matters big time for those.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

alnilam posted:

Electric motors tend to do a big overshoot in current followed by a little wiggle waggle (called impedence ringing) until they settle down to their steady load. This causes radio freq radiation and yeah if things are poorly shielded it can cause weird hiccups. My wild guess is the control board of your audio system is poorly shielded and it gets briefly screwed with by the motor overshoot, which causes it to reset, which causes your computer to forget what kind of audio system was connected.

Does your audio system have any kind of obvious central control point? Like does the audio cable go to a subwoofer which then goes out to everything else? You can try covering that in foil :tinfoil: and see if it helps

I had a USB-C hub that would only work properly if it was covered in foil. Just so much crazy interference from that lovely device.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

sleppy posted:

I asked someone I know with it, and they said they can't distinguish enough to know that two people are twins. If all other traits are the same, they could convince themselves that any two people were twins. They also described mistaking a known twin and an unrelated friend with similar hair to be the twin and her sister. If two twins are pointed out to them, they can piece together that they do look more alike than the other indistinguishable faces in a crowd.

It is something I can never really comprehend even if I probe them with a bunch of questions. They also answer from the perspective of someone who has been struggling with and adjusting to it their entire life, so the idea of carefully comparing and evaluating two twins standing next to each other is foreign in itself. Instead they are much better at comparing movement and other physical traits.

Thanks so much for this!

I've been reading an Oliver Sacks book--he had face blindness, and also studied a lot of crazy brain stuff throughout his career. I can't really wrap my head around prosopagnosia but I think an even worse problem is recognizing faces just fine, but having a deficit in the part of the brain that knows whether something is familiar. This is what leads some people to be convinced their friends/family have been replaced by imposters. :stare:

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

alnilam posted:

Yeah I've always been skeptical of the methodology behind the study that showed water temp doesn't matter in hand washing. If it's just germs sure, but oil and grime protect a lot of germs and temperature matters big time for those.

I just can't make a decision and it stresses me out so I solved the problem by wiping my hands on the insides of my pockets.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

artsy fartsy posted:

Thanks so much for this!

I've been reading an Oliver Sacks book--he had face blindness, and also studied a lot of crazy brain stuff throughout his career. I can't really wrap my head around prosopagnosia but I think an even worse problem is recognizing faces just fine, but having a deficit in the part of the brain that knows whether something is familiar. This is what leads some people to be convinced their friends/family have been replaced by imposters. :stare:

One of his book titles is even The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Platystemon posted:

One of his book titles is even The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat.

That's also the one where he talks about a guy who doesn't recognize his own leg, and keeps trying to throw the freaky unknown leg out of bed!

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

alnilam posted:

Isn't it the soap though that would loosen the oil and grime allowing the water to wash it away off your hands?
Water temp is meaningless because it's soap that does all the work in effectively cleaning your hands.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Chemical interactions can be drastically quickened or slackened by temperature.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Helith posted:

Isn't it the soap though that would loosen the oil and grime allowing the water to wash it away off your hands?
Water temp is meaningless because it's soap that does all the work in effectively cleaning your hands.

Soap is definitely the most important factor, but anyone who's ever had to wash off a bunch of grimey machine grease knows that warm water makes the process go much faster. Or if you haven't experienced that, maybe you've tried washing a butter dish with hot vs cold water.

Those are very visible, obvious cases of oily mess. But on a more subtle level, a lot of germs are harbored by oily dirt, and kept from dessication and death by that protective oily layer. So to really wash well, washing grime off is really important. Warmth helps.

But again soap is the most important part for sure. You can wash it all with soap and any water, it just might take more time and scrubbing if the water is cold. My point is the study that claims that water temp doesn't matter is based on washing off germs like what you'd pick up from a subway pole or whatever, not for getting actually dirty. If you have warm water you might as well take the advantage, plus it feels nicer.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

If I use my phone as a USB tethered hotspot connected to my PC, and then enable my VPN on said PC, is my traffic hidden or does USB tethering gently caress with that? My PC doesn't have a wifi adapter and I've not got access to ethernet ports, so I just use my phone to connect to the internet.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Qubee posted:

If I use my phone as a USB tethered hotspot connected to my PC, and then enable my VPN on said PC, is my traffic hidden or does USB tethering gently caress with that? My PC doesn't have a wifi adapter and I've not got access to ethernet ports, so I just use my phone to connect to the internet.

A VPN will make an end-to-end encrypted tunnel, so any devices lying between your PC and the VPN server will see nothing but scrambled bits. Doesn't matter if the connection is your phone's data plan via a USB connection, a residential cable/DSL/fiber hookup via ethernet or wifi, an ancient dialup modem, or anything else.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
is there a name for that ballad style of music that played during the credits of every 90s movie?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

CzarChasm posted:

Here's probably a good place to start. Thread's pretty good and if we can't answer we can direct you somewhere else.

Cool.

So this is not for me but it is for someone I know. It's a couple who make roughly $78,000 a year (combined). They file every year and get direct deposit. Neither of them have received their check. All the tools on the IRS site (get my payment) do not indicate anything at all. They're at a complete loss and as far as helping them, I am too. If anyone could help with what to do next, it would allay the worry of a kind older couple.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

NotNut posted:

is there a name for that ballad style of music that played during the credits of every 90s movie?

I think they are just called ballads. Maybe power ballads, usually those are reserved for butt rock bands though.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

How come certain foods are safe to leave out at room temperature for extended periods (bread, cakes, muffins, etc), but others have strict guidelines to be refrigerated ASAP? I'm currently doing quarantine in a hotel and sometimes they leave food for me but I'm asleep and don't bring it in until a solid 4-5 hours have passed. It makes me feel apprehensive eating it as I don't want to get sick (they're usually chicken dishes). I never used to be strict with food safety (I'd regularly leave cooked food like stew, lentils and rice out overnight and happily eat it the next day with no problems) but no longer do this.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
The stuff that bread and cakes are made out of isn't the same as the stuff that chicken is made of. There's essentially no bacteria present in a bag of flour or sugar or whatever, and even if there's a bit of bacteria on the egg shells from the eggs used to cook it those will die pretty quickly and cleanly just as a requisite of the bread being finished. The main way those things go bad is by getting moldy, which takes longer than bacteria.

4-5 hours isn't really a huge deal honestly, there's a billion people across the world that throw their lunch in a bag at 7 AM to bring to work and eat at noon every day of their lives and never get sick.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

4-5 hours isn't really a huge deal honestly, there's a billion people across the world that throw their lunch in a bag at 7 AM to bring to work and eat at noon every day of their lives and never get sick.

i'd say this is true with food you make yourself, but with typical hotel room service food, where you dont know (and dont want to know) how long the various ingredients were sitting around before getting to you in the first place, i wouldnt push it

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It has to do with how quickly microorganisms can start consuming the food and turning them into things that make you sick.

Bread is dry and starchy and tough for bacteria to attack. It falls to fungus, and that can take weeks to set in. You may notice that flour lasts forever in the pantry if it stays dry and insects and large animals don’t get to it.

Cakes and muffins are similar. High sugar content can also have a preservative effect. Sugar is hygroscopic, it absorbs water. A bag of sugar lasts as well as a bag of flour. Bacteria would love to eat it, but if it’s not dripping wet, osmosis carries water to the sugar right through the batcteria’s cell membrane, killing them or at least causing them to go dormant. Honey is edible for millennia because as wet as it seems, it’s not as wet as the inside of a cell and it still has that drying effect.

If the food item is warm and wet, with fat and proteins and modest sugar content, that’s the perfect opportunity for the dangerous bacteria to chow down.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I always found it interesting that fish gets dangerous so quickly. What's so different about fish that makes it go bad in like an hour vs most land-based meats?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Grey Lady posted:

NO food goes bad faster than fresh fish. I knew that. But until a recent gathering of curious San Francisco fish aficionados, I never stopped to wonder why fish should be more fragile than beef or chicken, or what -- if anything -- could be done to coddle it into keeping for an extra day or two.
A few casts into the seafood literature snagged the first answer. Fish spoil quickly because they are creatures of the water and therefore of the cold. Deep ocean water is only a few degrees above freezing, and surface waters seldom exceed 70 degrees.
The microbes and body enzymes of cattle, pigs and chickens are accustomed to operating above 90 degrees. In a typical refrigerator at 40 degrees, they're nearly paralyzed. But the bacteria and enzymes of many ocean fish feel right at home and happily proceed to break apart the fish's proteins and fats into smaller, smellier molecules. The spoilage agents in warm-water fish do feel chilled and slow down -- somewhat.
Cold waters also give fish their highly unsaturated fats. Such fats have an irregular structure that leaves them fluid and biologically useful at low temperatures, but also more susceptible to attack by oxygen, which speeds spoilage.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

alnilam posted:

I always found it interesting that fish gets dangerous so quickly. What's so different about fish that makes it go bad in like an hour vs most land-based meats?

Food poisoning from fish can get really bad, like, lifetime consequences bad. Ciguatera poisoning (infection? contamination?) is caused by a microscopic algae that can mess you up for years. Cooking will destroy almost all of it, but not all of it, and once fish starts to go off it can multiply to the point where your system gets overwhelmed by it. Or if it didn't get cooked properly, eating it straight out of the oven can make you sick as well.

Compare that to beef where if it's been prepared properly, you can basically eat it raw. I think that's because they're a ruminant, and destroy parasites and bacteria they get into their systems with the whole 4 stomach set-up.

edit: that's interesting about the temperature difference, I wonder if there's a difference between tropical fish and coldwater fish.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Some of the other pages talked about that. The answer is yes. A refrigerator puts tropical fish enzymes and bacteria farther out of their normal operating zone, and they last longer than temperate fish.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Memento posted:

Compare that to beef where if it's been prepared properly, you can basically eat it raw.

just a word of warning on that, it's a big "if".

i ate extremely rare, sometimes fully raw beef for most of my life with no problems until in my late 30's i took a vacation to italy, where i ate a steak that was basically raw in a very nice and well reputed restaurant, it tasted great, no sign of anything wrong with it, but the next day and for the rest of that week i was extremely sick from food poisoning, and i have not been able to eat rare beef without feeling that sickness ever since. whatever it was that got in me, its still in me, and it only takes the one time to gently caress you up

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Can I use a Fire table to read Kindle books, access Kindle unlimited? Or do I need a Kindle for that?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

escape artist posted:

Can I use a Fire table to read Kindle books, access Kindle unlimited? Or do I need a Kindle for that?

You don’t have to use a Kindle device. There are Kindle apps for Windows, MacOS, iPhone, and Android. The Android version from the Amazon store will run on a Fire tablet.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

The Fire tablet runs some Amazon-specific build of Android that is specifically intended to get you to give Amazon more money. Anything you can do on Amazon, you can do on a Fire tablet. Kindle, music, video, anything.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I remember a game at Dave & Busters in the mid 00s that I can't remember the name of, and I can't think of unique enough search terms to search for it. It was a shooter that sat (I think) 4 people and was maybe 2 or 3 stories tall. Each seat was on a vertical rail, and you'd get taken up or down based on what you were doing. I think you were shooting balloons, some of which had arrows that would send you up or down.

Does anyone remember this, or can puzzle out a search query.

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

Boxman posted:

I remember a game at Dave & Busters in the mid 00s that I can't remember the name of, and I can't think of unique enough search terms to search for it. It was a shooter that sat (I think) 4 people and was maybe 2 or 3 stories tall. Each seat was on a vertical rail, and you'd get taken up or down based on what you were doing. I think you were shooting balloons, some of which had arrows that would send you up or down.

Does anyone remember this, or can puzzle out a search query.

I do remember playing it at a Sega Gameworks location in the late 90s or early 2000s, so the game is at least that old and you might have luck spotting it in gameworks footage. I've tried googling for it and can't locate the game.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Can anyone tell me what these rock type things are for? Are they just places to sit that are supposed to kind of look natural? In the backyard of a house in NW New Mexico.
https://i.imgur.com/9NWFr52.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Xq8CnaM.jpg

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Where can I find really hosed up spreadsheets? I want broken functions, extra spaces and messed up capitalization. Lots of different spellings. Stuff like that.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

tuyop posted:

Where can I find really hosed up spreadsheets? I want broken functions, extra spaces and messed up capitalization. Lots of different spellings. Stuff like that.

I believe the admins are working on a feature to export all of your posts to csv format

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

alnilam posted:

I believe the admins are working on a feature to export all of your posts to csv format

Just mine?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I just read in The Autobiography of Malcolm X that Elijah Muhammad recommended 'half-your-age plus seven.'

I thought this was a recent formula how old is it?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Arbite posted:

I just read in The Autobiography of Malcolm X that Elijah Muhammad recommended 'half-your-age plus seven.'

I thought this was a recent formula how old is it?

At least 19th Century, but of course, in those days it referred to the age of marriage rather than dating.

e: from 1879:

Jeza fucked around with this message at 11:21 on May 20, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jeza posted:

At least 19th Century, but of course, in those days it referred to the age of marriage rather than dating.

And it was said to be the optimal age for the bride, not the maximum acceptable difference between parties.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 11:23 on May 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
Why can't we cook and eat rotten food?

The danger is bacteria, virus', parasites and what have you that colonise the rotted food. Sufficient temperature denaturates the proteins and kills all the nasty little bugs in the food. So, what is it additionally about rotten food that makes in dangerous, even though all the mirco organisms can be killed?