Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
it was the g13+g14 interaction with each other, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Another option would be one of those cosmetic nail buffers you can find in any department store.

They should have 3 or 4 different fine grits you could use, being on a hard sponge as well it should deform a bit as well so you don't flatspot the joint.

Hell even buffing it it with the polishing part of one may help reduce friction of the parts going together.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
My kit actually has several different nail files for stuff like this. To the point where I had none in the bathroom for actually filing my nails and had to dig them out of my toolbox. Those nail buffing blocks are great for light sanding and restoring a bit of shine to the plastic after you've sanded things down. I also have some glass files in the kit for more.. intensive.. procedures.

E: gently caress legs, what we need are accessories :colbert:

Bees on Wheat fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 18, 2020

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Speaking of legs, building Gunpla makes me realize how much body mass legs take up for humanoid robots and it is kinda weirding me out.

Also I am approaching the point where I should start considering getting a shelve set for displaying my robits.

EDIT: Do any of you have a go-to blog or channel for kit reviews?

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 07:45 on May 18, 2020

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Unlucky7 posted:

Speaking of legs, building Gunpla makes me realize how much body mass legs take up for humanoid robots and it is kinda weirding me out.

Also I am approaching the point where I should start considering getting a shelve set for displaying my robits.

Shelves would be a good investment. Currently several of my kits are hanging out on a rolling microwave cart by my door and it's.. not ideal. I have one shelf on my bookcase that's nothing but robits and weeb figurines. I even put some little risers in there to cram more stuff on the shelf but ran out of room. Some of my dudes are hanging out on my liquor shelf. The top of my built-in bookcase has become what I affectionately refer to as "the gundam wing ghetto" because it has as many GW suits crammed in as possible. Still need to make room for a RG Tallgeese, too.

Seriously. Send help.

As far as reviews.. nah. Most of my purchases are impulse buys. Like how I bought this MG Dynames on a whim because I noticed it was on sale when I was buying something else entirely from Newtype. A good portion of my purchases are also "gently caress I need to add $X to get free shipping, what else might I want.." :shobon:

It's worked out for me pretty well so far. loving around with Dynames has been the most fun I've had with anything in a loooong time. He's even up to roughly 1.5 legs now. :downs:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

BadMedic posted:

Oh wow, that's a useful site. It feels like I'm going to have some big paint purchases in the future...

Also, what do people recommend for an airbrush? Initially I only planned on buying a few kits so I didn't want to buy one, but my backlog keeps getting bigger. And bigger. And bigger.

Everything in the Goonhammer link is correct. The Patriot doesn't have a thing where you can dial in the needle to stop at a certain depth, but to be honest, after using that feature on my Paasche Talon and having to move it back a little to account for tip dry on acrylics (even with flow improver) I have to agree with the Patriot 105 recommendation. There's also three very good quality-of-life features on the Patriot that the Talon doesn't have:

1) The Patriot has a little channel at the bottom of the cup for paint to run through into the nozzle. The Talon doesn't. That means the nozzle gunks up more often and requires a cleaning.
2) You can unscrew the needle chuck a little and pull the needle right out the back to swab it on the Patriot. You have to unscrew the entire back end for the Talon.
3) The O-ring that seals the aircap over the nozzle and body of the airbrush on the Patriot is inside the aircap. It's exposed on the Talon, thus it wears down more quickly if anything spills on it that has solvents. Such as the lacquer thinner used to clean the airbrush constantly. If it breaks in the wrong place, the airbrush bubbles back.

If there's some way to have a dial-in needle stop and easily removable needle that makes the best of both those worlds I'd go all-in on it.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Unlucky7 posted:

Mecha Gaikotsu on Youtube has a really extensive number of reviews and he seems to get his hands on just about everything so if you're looking for a specific kit to ponder that's a good place to start.

I also really appreciated his cheap hacks video although I only use one or two of them.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Gaikotsu really likes to do this rapid alternating zoom in/out thing that gives me a headache to watch. He's also good to watch if you want to see how much nub mark cleanup there will be.

ZakuAurelius stubbornly refuses to ever call a kit bad, but his reviews also focus more on customization, and he's got a couple of good series covering painting/kitbashing. One on the HGUC Tristan.

Prime92 runs a voice distorter for whatever reason, but is also the only one I know of to do a bunch of 3rd party kits.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LibrarianCroaker posted:

ZakuAurelius stubbornly refuses to ever call a kit bad, but his reviews also focus more on customization, and he's got a couple of good series covering painting/kitbashing. One on the HGUC Tristan.

lmao if you watch three hours of YouTube talking about things you can do with that kit.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Mecha Gaikotsu on Youtube has a really extensive number of reviews and he seems to get his hands on just about everything so if you're looking for a specific kit to ponder that's a good place to start.

I also really appreciated his cheap hacks video although I only use one or two of them.

Note this guy is EXTREMELY i mean EXTREMELY hyper and his idea of "modeling" is get kit, remove kit from sprue with god hands, do bare MINIMUM of work with zero nub removal whatsoever and slap a video together. Its all a hack job to get a kit out and go "FIRST!"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I wouldn't call it a hack job, and there's nothing wrong with doing out of box builds.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

I wouldn't call it a hack job, and there's nothing wrong with doing out of box builds.

Lets emphasize rush job then

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
that's kind of what you have to do to make a living off of youtube. like, even if it's not the MUST BE FIRST angle, it's gonna be MUST BE EVERY DAY.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

LibrarianCroaker posted:

that's kind of what you have to do to make a living off of youtube. like, even if it's not the MUST BE FIRST angle, it's gonna be MUST BE EVERY DAY.

I'll be real, I can't stand the guy.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Can't blame you for that tbh.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug

MJP posted:

I have to agree with the Patriot 105 recommendation.

Problem is, the 105 is straight up unavailable in Canada right now. (And shipping/duties from the US is 50+% of the base price)

Actually, I've put together a list of airbrushing gear I'm thinking of buying.
Compressor w/ Tank + hose
I swear every airbrush compressor out there is made at the same factory, and sellers just pick features to include.
Spray booth
Same with this one, a bunch of companies are selling the same thing.

Iwata NEO airbrush
Quick disconnect adapters
I'm assuming the airbrush and connectors are 1/8" BSP, but I can't find anything that says that straight out.

Cleaning Kit
Spray out pot/holder

So, am I missing anything/does anything stand out as garbage?

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Uh dont pay $94 CAD for a Neo.

Drop the cleaning kit. You're better off buying stuff like cleaner/cleaning brushes individually if you need them. You can get superlube by itself, or you can also try Badger's regdab.

Thats a weird price point for the Neo, since an Eclipse or one of the Mr Hobby/GSI Creos airbrushes shouldnt be that much more expensive, for an actual Made in Japan airbrush.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

No idea what prices are like generally in Canada but an eclipse is twice the price of the NEO on that site. The prices seem pretty comparable to what we pay in Australia overall. I can agree with the recommendation for a Mr Hobby brush though. Excellent value.

BadMedic posted:

So, am I missing anything/does anything stand out as garbage?

You can probably save a few bucks getting a generic cleaning pot and quick connect fittings from Amazon or Ebay.

If you're planning on spraying lacquers (and you should, they're waaay easier to spray than acrylics) get a respirator.

Don't bother with the cleaning kit for now. You probably won't need to do a full tear down and clean that often. After each colour just use a bit of tool cleaner flush it out, then after you finish for the day give it a thorough flush making sure to backwash and swab out the colour cup with a cotton tip or old brush. Taking the whole thing apart more than you need just increases the chances that you'll break the nozzle or bend the needle or something equally frustrating.

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?

Bill Posters posted:

No idea what prices are like generally in Canada but an eclipse is twice the price of the NEO on that site. The prices seem pretty comparable to what we pay in Australia overall. I can agree with the recommendation for a Mr Hobby brush though. Excellent value.

Assuming you're Australian, do you find much difference in cost between importing airbrush stuff here or just picking it up locally? Have been having a play with rattle cans lately, and while fun, does seem like it'll get more expensive with less precision faster.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Canadian prices are basically hosed. Everything's more expensive and if you import you're probably not saving much money in the conversion and that's assuming the shipping or any duty fees don't gently caress you. Selection is super limited too even on Amazon, so often times I'll just buy something more expensive because the cheaper objection isn't actually cheaper.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Vahtooch posted:

Assuming you're Australian, do you find much difference in cost between importing airbrush stuff here or just picking it up locally? Have been having a play with rattle cans lately, and while fun, does seem like it'll get more expensive with less precision faster.

Importing might be a little bit cheaper under normal circumstances but you have many more choices than are available locally. The flip side of that is the brands you can get here are better backed with parts availability.

Of course it's all irrelevant now since Japan shut down all the affordable mail options.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Bill Posters posted:

Of course it's all irrelevant now since Japan shut down all the affordable mail options.

I have a kit sitting in a Tokyo post office because EMS shut down and HLJ can’t do anything unless they send it back :(

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Unlucky7 posted:

I have a kit sitting in a Tokyo post office because EMS shut down and HLJ can’t do anything unless they send it back :(

I am quite sure the Gundam pens I ordered for a friend are trapped in forever limbo somewhere in Japan.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

So uh yeah, I'm kinda obsessed with recreating this scene after building the mg barbatos. I'm waiting on my 1/100 graze to get here.

Thing is, I think it would look awesome if I could somehow do a diorama of the graze being hit with the mace while being in the air. I'd like the graze to be hanging in midair, have the mace be embedded in the graze and having the barabatos on the ground holding the mace.

I'd guess I could try to pin the barbatos' joints but I'm not sure the arms on the kit allow it. I guess I'd have to superglue the arms in place? I'm going to drill rods in it's feet and insert int into the diorama to keep it stable.

I'll also have to dremel and saw the gently caress out of the graze because boy mika really fucks it up good

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

Monaghan posted:

Thing is, I think it would look awesome if I could somehow do a diorama of the graze being hit with the mace while being in the air. I'd like the graze to be hanging in midair, have the mace be embedded in the graze and having the barabatos on the ground holding the mace.

I'd guess I could try to pin the barbatos' joints but I'm not sure the arms on the kit allow it. I guess I'd have to superglue the arms in place? I'm going to drill rods in it's feet and insert int into the diorama to keep it stable.

One thing you could try is replace the shaft of the mace with a metal rod that extends from a hill in the diorama through the Graze.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

To recreate the smash you're gonna have to essentially build the Graze's whole torso around the mace. Which is a good opportunity to reduce the overall weight of the kit. But I think ideally you'd have the Graze supported by something other than just the Barbatos. In that scene you don't get a full look at the Graze during the smash, so you could play around with the pose a bit and see if there's anyway you could get one of it's feet touching the ground in a way that still preserves the overall motion.

But if you want to keep it 100% in the air, luckily that scene is super dusty.

So you can just hide a support in a dust cloud

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

I had to reread this a few times to make sure I wasn't losing my mind. Best typo ever.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Find some clear rod and cut various lengths to rest/affix the graze onto?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I could try the clear rod, but that'd be a last resort. It's why I never have my kits with funnels deployed or whatever, I just hate the look of it.

Gripweed posted:

To recreate the smash you're gonna have to essentially build the Graze's whole torso around the mace. Which is a good opportunity to reduce the overall weight of the kit. But I think ideally you'd have the Graze supported by something other than just the Barbatos. In that scene you don't get a full look at the Graze during the smash, so you could play around with the pose a bit and see if there's anyway you could get one of it's feet touching the ground in a way that still preserves the overall motion.

I don't see why I need to build the kit around the mace? I thought I just dremel and saw the top half of the kit glue it in. I got an old 1/100 kyrios that I'm going to see how it works before I try it with the graze

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 19, 2020

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

quote is not edit.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Monaghan posted:

I don't see why I need to build the kit around the mace? I thought I just dremel and saw the top half of the kit glue it in. I got an old 1/100 kyrios that I'm going to see how it works before I try it with the graze

I didn't mean build the kit, more like,

the torso gets really deformed by the mace, which digs in pretty deep. So you'd want to figure out what parts of the torso you even need. Looking at the instructions on Dalong, I bet you don't need the part of the torso that the left arm connects to. Just leave that out. And the space where it would've gone, that's where you put the mace. Dremel a little in the torso so the mace fits in better, and then you've got the mace digging really deep into the torso like it does in the show. And the little piece that forms the front chest armor, you can then attach that on to the whole torso/mace assembly a little crooked, like it's popping off like how it does in the show.

That seems like the easiest way to replicate the deformation and damage done by the mace without having to go crazy scratchbuilding damaged parts or whatever

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
Thanks for the airbrush advice.

Pretty much every kind of airbrush is sold out in Canada, as far as I can see. The only reason I selected the Iwata NEO was it was the only one I found, in stock, around my 100 CAD price point. An eclipse is 200 CAD, which is... a lot for something I'm still undecided about buying. All the Badger and Mr Hobby listings I've seen are either sold out, or 300+CAD.

I've got a respirator from another project I did, so I'm good on that end.

Also, I'm trying my best to avoid buying thing off of amazon... which probably isn't making it easier to find gear.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

The NEOs are perfectly good kit IMO. I have the TRN1 and I like it very much.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

For all of you who were hoping for a MG Qubeley Ver. 2.0, today Bandai has answered your question. The answer is no. :colbert: Instead you can have a Qubeley Damned in classic colors.
https://p-bandai.jp/hobby/special-1000011663/

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Finished my fourth quarantine build just now. My first was the PG Exia that I posted about earlier.

Second was the Flametoys Starscream

Built this a month or so back. Didn't really care for it too much. Found the build pretty fiddly in spots, some parts were really tight, especially the polycaps and the stickers were awful. Looks alright now that it's done, but for the price I don't think I'll be getting another one from this line.

Third was the MG Barbatos, which took me a few weeks due to procrastination.

Put in more effort than I normally do, the frame has so much detail on it that I couldn't resist doing some hand-painting to bring it out. Also got some third-party waterslides and put some topcoat on it. I'm normally a straight-build guy, don't paint often and everything else on my shelves doesn't have any topcoat. Might do this some more, really happy with how it looks with some matt on. Like an idiot I put the eye/camera stickers on during the build, but they actually look alright even after a few layers of topcoat.
Didn't panel line the weapons though, just got lazy about then.

Standing pilot figure isn't my best work, I tried putting some Tamiya panel line wash over it to bring out the details but it hosed up the paint. Also the coat is too dark.
Wish I had taken some pictures of the frame before putting the armour on.

Fourth is the HG BD:R Mobile Doll May that I just knocked out yesterday.

Not normally into anime girl kits, but the Build Divers kits have been too cute to resist for me.

Waterslides for the human faces were a motherfucker, took ages to line up. All that effort and I think I'm going to keep the robot head on her instead.

Since this quarantine doesn't look like it's going to end any time soon for me and now that the Barbatos has given me some experience with waterslides and topcoat I think I might tackle the MG Hi-Nu Gundam Ver Ka. that I've had sitting in my backlog for months.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Veotax posted:

Finished my fourth quarantine build just now. My first was the PG Exia that I posted about earlier.

Lookin' good! I finished my Dynames earlier and overall I'm pretty happy with it. (My photography, not so much, but the lighting in here sucks.)

Whoever said the official Bandai LEDs suck was right. Good god. You'd think something purpose-designed for this would actually work but nooooo. I used two LED units for this kit and they both flicker like mad unless you smack them just right because the battery contacts are total shite. Don't even get me started on the LED unit I bought for my pink Haro. Couldn't even get the batteries into it because the contacts were so stiff and weirdly formed. I think I actually shorted two batteries trying to jam them in there because poo poo got hot. On the upside, the way they incorporate the LED units into the GN Drive is pretty clever, and there are no parts to change out if you do/don't want the LEDs in there.

I really wanted to like these holsters for the pistols but whoever designed them must have been having an off day. Everything else about the kit is great, but these things just do not want to stay attached to his legs, and trying to put them on always makes me feel like I'm going to break something. Shame.

Oh also I'm apparently Captain Dumbass and accidentally broke the little peg on the action base that locks that swively part on top in place. Aside from some carefully staged poses, dude is stuck flat on his back or face down on the stand. I have another action base this size somewhere in my apartment but god knows where, so I just tilted him back and put the pistols in his hands so it looks like he's doing some stupid "I saw this in the Matrix" kinda poo poo. :3:

Not sure which part of the backlog to hit next. Part of me is itching to get started on the MG Barbatos, but part of me also wants to do something nice and simple, and goddamn do I have a lot of SD kits sitting around right now.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Got an email from Gundam Planet that they have the RG Eva-01 back in stock (both the version with just the kit and the one with the display), if anyone was still looking to get one (I was).

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
my preorder RG Eva-01 finally shipped from USAGS. Not really going to blame them much for the delay tbh.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

RillAkBea posted:

For all of you who were hoping for a MG Qubeley Ver. 2.0, today Bandai has answered your question. The answer is no. :colbert: Instead you can have a Qubeley Damned in classic colors.
https://p-bandai.jp/hobby/special-1000011663/

Looks like they're making more Polypod Balls too? Hopefully that means I'll be able to get it for a reasonable price in the USA again at some point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Got an email from Gundam Planet that they have the RG Eva-01 back in stock (both the version with just the kit and the one with the display), if anyone was still looking to get one (I was).

Thanks for the tip, I just put in an order there and cancelled the six month old unfilled order from HLJ.