Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
With quarantine upon us I've decided to finally show my girlfriend the MCU. She is a huge Sci Fi/Fantasy nerd but was never a fan of comics and had never previously seen an MCU film. Up until recently she'd never even read a comic book until I introduced her to Saga which she loves. My question is, of the feature length films (I'm not getting into any of the TV shows) which should I show her and in what order? So far I've shown her Iron Man (2008) which she loved and Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) which she also enjoyed. Should I show them in release order from this point forward or go chronologically? Should I show her all the films or cut the fat and omit the stinkers?

So far I'm planning on showing her the following

Thor (2011) Not great but establishes the characters of Thor and Loki.

The Avengers (2012)

Iron Man 3 (2013) She loves RDJ and Shane Black so I thought this should make the list.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)

Ant Man (2015) I feel it's important to introduce the Pym particle early on for Endgame.

Captain America: Civil War (2016)

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017)

Spider Man: Homecoming (2017)

Thor: Ragnarok (2017) Perhaps my favorite along with the GotG films.

Black Panther (2018)

Avengers: Infinity War (2018)

Ant Man and the Wasp (2018) Not really necessary but leads directly into Endgame.

Captain Marvel (2019)

Avengers: Endgame (2019)

Spiderman: Far From Home (2019)

I'm on the fence with

The Incredible Hulk (2008) Not a great movie by any means but she has no idea who the Hulk is even through cultural osmosis. I'm not sure if Avengers (2012) does a good enough job of setting this character up for a first time viewer. Not to mention that the recasting of Banner may be jarring.

Iron Man 2 (2010) From what I remember this doesn't really set up anything that is of importance to the overall Avengers arc besides establishing War Machine. Although I'm tempted to include it just for Sam Rockwell's Justin Hammer.

Thor: The Dark World (2013) Probably the weakest of the Thor films but does set up the reappearance of Loki in Thor: Ragnarok (2017).

Doctor Strange (2016) I wasn't a huge fan of this one and I mainly put it in this category because I think his introduction in Avengers: Infinity War (2018) was an adequate way to include the character.

I'm also planning on including the Marvel One Shots because they fill in some plot holes and retcons. So is there anything on my view list I should omit? Anything on my pass list I should include? Is release date the way to go forward? Should I just burn through em all good or bad?

Edit:

I decided to show her the entire cinematic MCU plus One Shots in order of release date. Four + per week until we finish the whole goddammed thing. I'm asking her to rank the movies in order of best to worst as we go and I'll update that ranking each film and share the insights of a first time viewer as we go.

Feel free to poo poo up this thread with any horrible opinions you may have about comic books, Marvel, or why no matter how much you shake it you still get a little down your leg after taking a piss.

Edit Edit:

If possible please use your erudite wit to remind us that there are several movies more deserving of our time than MCU films despite them being the most expensive and expansive venture in cinema history.

James Woods fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Why deliberately give someone Disney brain worms?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Show her everything in order of release and every time she asks about Thanos say he's in the next movie.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The MCU is deliberately designed so that people can jump in and essentially miss nothing as long as they've absorbed the characters through cultural osmosis, which is hard not to do nowadays. Things have been retconned back and forth, characters reset their arcs constantly, and massive earth-shaking events can be essentially ignored.

If you want to skip movies based on their relevance in terms of canon, and not necessarily characters (which I assume is why you want to skip The Incredible Hulk,) you can throw Captain America 2 and 3 right out. Iron Man 2 and 3 don't affect much in the canon even if 3 is the second-best Marvel movie. Age of Ultron meant nothing aside from the introduction of Scarlet Witch who is a completely different character now anyways.

Really if you just want the ones that Endgame builds off of you're forcing yourself to watch Thor The Dark World and Ant-Man and the Wasp.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
I somewhat want to include The Incredible Hulk because all she knows about him is that he's an angry green monster and she has no context of him being a scientist but even that movie doesn't really get into his origin because of the dismal Ang Lee Hulk.

Cap 2 and 3 explain why S.H.I.E.L.D is no longer a thing and flesh out the Winter Soldier character. Plus Cap 3 is a lot of fun. I think I'm going to show her Thor tonight but worry that following that up with The Incredible Hulk would make her lose interest before Avengers.

James Woods fucked around with this message at 13:41 on May 20, 2020

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Incredible Hulk is wildly underrated.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Why in the world would you show your girlfriend Avengers 2? its such a bad film.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

You should omit the stinkers, that way she won't have to watch anything.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Why in the world would you show your girlfriend Avengers 2? its such a bad film.

Literally the only thing of consequence that happens in it is the introduction of Scarlet Witch and Vision. Otherwise it's a 2.5-hour piece of misery.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I never really understood the hate that one gets despite being the weakest Avengers film. Besides without it Vision pops up out of nowhere and he's such a WTF character that I think he needs a little introduction. I just wish I had a cut of the movie with the Ultron California dialog.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

James Woods posted:

I somewhat want to include The Incredible Hulk because all she knows about him is that he's an angry green monster and she has no context of him being a scientist but even that movie doesn't really get into his origin because of the dismal Ang Lee movie.

Cap 2 and 3 explain why S.H.I.E.L.D is no longer a thing and flesh out the Winter Soldier character. Plus Cap 3 it's a lot of fun. I think im going ro show her Thor tonight but worry that following that up with The Incredible Hulk would make her lose interest before Avengers.

I mean, truth is I actually think Incredible Hulk is not bad. I’d say it’s in third place behind Iron Man 3 and Cap America 1.

The hard part is that on several of these movies, quality and importance to the canon are at odds. Ant Man and the Wasp and Thor 2 are two of the worst MCU movies but they also set up two of the most important elements of Endgame, but movies that do next to nothing for Endgame are Thor Ragnarok, Iron Man 3, GotG 1... so like, most of the better ones. I haven’t seen Captain Marvel but it sounds dire, but that one might still be important because otherwise Carol’s gonna do her two minutes of screen time in Endgame and your girlfriend’s gonna be like “wait who is this.”

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
"Who's that?" Is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. That's why I felt that omitting Dr. Strange worked because the way they present him in Infinity War works with him being introduced mysteriously. The only thing that will be jarring is the presence of the Old One in Endgame.

James Woods fucked around with this message at 12:18 on May 20, 2020

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
I did this to myself about a year ago just out of curiosity. I had not seen a single mcu film since the original iron man.

Just have her watch them all in release order. Don't even try to convince her they're all good films (they're definitely not). Just get her to buy in on the mindless spectacle, enjoy them for what they are.

I think Thor 2 is the most uncontroversial "skip this one" choice, it's just dreadful.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

wwhy not watch good movies instead

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

have you considered watching dragon ball super broly instead

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

Papercut posted:

I did this to myself about a year ago just out of curiosity. I had not seen a single mcu film since the original iron man.

Just have her watch them all in release order. Don't even try to convince her they're all good films (they're definitely not). Just get her to buy in on the mindless spectacle, enjoy them for what they are.

I think Thor 2 is the most uncontroversial "skip this one" choice, it's just dreadful.

After giving her her options and relaying the advise of this thread she's opted for this. I messed up release order by showing Captain America: The First Avenger second but considering the time jump I don't think it matters.

We're currently watching The Incredible Hulk and so far she loves it. At around the second act she asks "Hey una Hulka?^ I tell her yeah in the comics there's a She Hulk. ^I wanna see that."

I guess from here I'm going to do a trip report of taking a first timer through the whole mess. Release order plus One Shots. We're doing one a day Monday through Thursday. We're usually too drunk on the weekends to properly enjoy a movie. I'm going to ask her to rate her favorites in order as the series progresses and I'll post ther results after each movie.

In the meantime I'm still interested in others thoughts about viewing order and or limited orders of watching the series a la Machete Cut for Star Wars.

Feel free to use this space for general MCU discussion and derails. And the end of the day that's our bread and butter.

Current Standings
1. Iron Man (2008)
2. Captain America: The first Avenger (2011)

James Woods fucked around with this message at 12:20 on May 20, 2020

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

James Woods posted:

With quarantine upon us I've decided too finally show my girlfriend the MCU.

Doctor Strange (2016) I wasn't a huge fan of this one and I mainly put it in this category because I think his introduction in Avengers: Infinity War (2018) was an adequate way to include the character.

Don't rob your girlfriend of seeing Mads Mikkelsen.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

RBA Starblade posted:

Show her everything in order of release and every time she asks about Thanos say he's in the next movie.

:hai:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I watched every MCU film in order this past year and I had a lot of fun with it. It's just kinda cool to be able to track when each little bit of lore and each character was first introduced and see how they change(or don't change, or are unceremoniously dropped never to be heard from again) over time. Like, when they do the Crossbones scene at the beginning of Civil War I really didn't know who that guy was but then going back and watching him show up as a SHIELD guy and then a HYDRA plant in Winter Soldier was pretty cool. There's a lot of stuff like that.

RBA Starblade posted:

When Thanos just all the sudden does show up in Guardians of the Galaxy it was a pretty surreal moment because honestly I think by that point I'd accepted that he was just never going to appear(outside of little two second cameos) and the series would never be able to deliver him as a major villain.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I had literally forgotten about Thanos by the time he showed up

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'd just go in release order. If she doesn't like something like hulk just turn it off and give her any important details.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
why not just watch the ones you think are good and/or enjoyable? is continuity really more important than that?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

You should just watch Blade (1998) 26 times instead.

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 19, 2020

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kull the Conqueror posted:

why not just watch the ones you think are good and/or enjoyable? is continuity really more important than that?

Like I said, I actually had a pretty good time watching each one and trying to notice the callbacks and just the whole trajectory of the various macguffins and characters. I guess it's just a unique thing, that there's this many movies that all were made in the same continuity so you can actually notice things across such a huge number of films.

I did the same thing with Harry Potter a few years back, it was fun to watch the series from the beginning and see all the little things that got paid off by the end.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Alternate Marvel Essentials:

Captain America (1944)
3 Dev Adam (1973)
Spider-Man (1977)
Kyoufu Densetsu Kaiki! Frankenstein (1981)
Howard the Duck (1986)
The Fantastic Four (1994)
Blade (1998)
Hulk (2003)
Punisher: War Zone (2008)
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance (2011)
Venom (2018)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I mean if you can only watch one Marvel movie, make it Punisher Warzone.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHBhKbF2xMA

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ang Lee's Hulk is one of the best movies, why would you omit it :confused:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

precision posted:

Ang Lee's Hulk is one of the best movies, why would you omit it :confused:

Looking back it's kinda funny that they decided to pretend that movie didn't exist, because Incredible Hulk actually does work as a direct sequel to it. They obviously felt like the casting change made it necessary to start fresh with Norton but of course here we are years later and nobody gave a poo poo about recasting Hulk. So they really could've left it in the continuity.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

TrixRabbi posted:

Alternate Marvel Essentials:

Captain America (1944)
3 Dev Adam (1973)
Spider-Man (1977)
Kyoufu Densetsu Kaiki! Frankenstein (1981)
Howard the Duck (1986)
The Fantastic Four (1994)
Blade (1998)
Hulk (2003)
Punisher: War Zone (2008)
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance (2011)
Venom (2018)

This post gives me flashbacks to browsing YouTube around 2006. Guys would be trying to make fake “Avengers” trailers by editing clips of the 2002 Spider-Man and the Ang Lee Hulk with, like, a few shots of Kelsey Grammar as Beast from X-Men 3 and the Thing from the Corman FF.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Basebf555 posted:

Looking back it's kinda funny that they decided to pretend that movie didn't exist, because Incredible Hulk actually does work as a direct sequel to it. They obviously felt like the casting change made it necessary to start fresh with Norton but of course here we are years later and nobody gave a poo poo about recasting Hulk. So they really could've left it in the continuity.

I got a laugh when they included all the Avengers except Norton

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Venom is better than both Spider Man movies combined, I wish they'd merge it into the MCU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Splint Chesthair posted:

This post gives me flashbacks to browsing YouTube around 2006. Guys would be trying to make fake “Avengers” trailers by editing clips of the 2002 Spider-Man and the Ang Lee Hulk with, like, a few shots of Kelsey Grammar as Beast from X-Men 3 and the Thing from the Corman FF.

Would gladly watch that fanedit every day rather than sit through Age of Ultron again.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

precision posted:

Venom is better than both Spider Man movies combined, I wish they'd merge it into the MCU

It sounds like they might be.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

No don't merge it cause it will completely flatten everything charming and original about the movie (i.e. Tom Hardy and his supporting cast wrestling the film away from the director to turn it into an absurdist comedy).

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
Well The Incredible Hulk aged better than I remembered. My girlfriend loved the first act in Brazil but felt that the movie fell apart in the third act as soon as Abomination came into play. The mindless action scenes were a bore for her which does not bode well for the rest of the series... She was fifty fifty on whether this or Captain America: The First Avenger were better but ultimately opted for ther later because she felt it had a more complex story and had a protagonist with a more defined arc. She wants to know when there's a movie with a female lead superhero. I told her she's going to have to wait a bit.

Current Standings
1. Iron Man
2. Captain America: The First Avenger
3. The Incredible Hulk

Tonight is Iron Man 2.

James Woods fucked around with this message at 12:25 on May 20, 2020

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Basebf555 posted:

And I just looked and it was the third highest grossing film of the year, making 245 mill against a budget of 145, so it wasn't even a flop!

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
In a surprise decision my girlfriend thought that Iron Man 2 was the strongest of the films so far. Her reasoning was that Tony Stark is the only character thus far that feels like a real person. She likes his arc and the fact that he has flaws as opposed to Captain America and Hulk who are portrayed as being altruistic to the point that they're unbelievable. She likes the fact that he's a blowhard, a drunk and a womanizer. She made a point to notice that both Howard and Tony Stark came on stage for the Stark Expo with a bunch of dancing girls in tow (a detail I'd previously missed). She was happy to see Tony finally show his feelings for Pepper after shouting "Kiss her!" many times at the screen.

She throughly enjoyed Sam Rockwell chewing the scenery every time he was on screen. She also got really into the Roadie/Drunk Iron Man fight and wants to see more War Machine. She absolutely LOVED Black Widow and was yelling "gently caress yeah girl! Kick his rear end!" Every time she was on screen. She wants a Black Widow movie and I told her she'll have to wait for later this year. I didn't tell her anything other than that...

Current Standings
1. Iron Man 2
2. Iron Man
3. Captain America: The First Avenger
4. The Incredible Hulk

Next up Thor.

James Woods fucked around with this message at 13:51 on May 20, 2020

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I watched Iron Man 2 recently and Sam Rockwell is really good in it. He steals basically every scene he appears in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
There's 22 good movies she could watch instead.