Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Jurgan posted:

Just finished listening to Jonathan Sims’s rap demo.

Pardon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Episode 165

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Was it in iambic pentameter?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

cptn_dr posted:

If you added a beat, it would basically be a Mechanisms song.
Specifically the one in The Bifrost Incident where he goes Full Jonny on an invocation.

Quoting myself so it doesn't get lost at the bottom of the last page, if you enjoyed the Jonny Rap, and you can get over the intense dorkiness, The Mechanisms (Jonny Sims' old band) are way better than they have any right to be.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

LongDarkNight posted:

I don’t think so. It went really fast and was hard to pick out the meter. And I kept expecting end rhymes that didn’t happen, while there were a lot of internal rhymes.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Jurgan posted:

Episode 165

Just listened. Good episode.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
So, back in 2017 I released a serial fiction podcast and I don’t think I ever linked it here.

You can find info about it here, but broadly speaking, it’s about a plague of telepathy in a city ruled by corporate despots in a city where it never stops raining.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
So Shadowrun, then?

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

So Shadowrun, then?

Yes but with more exploding corporate research facilities

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

LongDarkNight posted:

Someone on Tumblr(sorry) did a write up. Some of it is, some isn't.

https://martindykewood.tumblr.com/post/616862446045544448/was-165-in-iambic-pentameter-i-had-to-put-like

My favorite line "So turn with the turn of the merry-go-round and dance to its jolly old song.
Who will you be, with a name or three, and a stranger’s face worn wrong?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Seems appropriate for the Stranger to not fit into an established meter.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Jurgan posted:

I don’t think so. It went really fast and was hard to pick out the meter. And I kept expecting end rhymes that didn’t happen, while there were a lot of internal rhymes.

Droyer posted:

Seems appropriate for the Stranger to not fit into an established meter.
Yeah, I was going to say, I haven't checked out a transcript to really analyse the meter, but the internal rhymes, slippery meter, and run-on nature really fit the Stranger. It's me, I'm Martin.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

PetraCore posted:

Yeah, I was going to say, I haven't checked out a transcript to really analyse the meter, but the internal rhymes, slippery meter, and run-on nature really fit the Stranger. It's me, I'm Martin.

Quote this if you guessed that Maritn's favourite character is walt whitman before they said it

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Well that's a wrap on not-Sasha then. It's weird to think that our hero, the Archivist, is essentially Randall Flagg. He may have more power than Jonah Magnus himself.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

cptn_dr posted:

If you added a beat, it would basically be a Mechanisms song.
Specifically the one in The Bifrost Incident where he goes Full Jonny on an invocation.

I just finished listening to this and holy poo poo it's a fun musical. Like, it's closer to Love Never Dies (except, you know...good) than what you usually think of as a concept album.

PS hi thread its me, the guy from 10 months ago who was just starting Magnus, now freshly caught up. Whee!

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I think I'm pleased where TMA is going. Martin is right, why the gently caress not? I wouldnt mind if there was some epic Metallica sound for obliteration. Unfortunately Metallica is so ligatious

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 9, 2020

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Magnus Archives just did an ad for Creepy which ended with it saying a 50 ft ant story was being read on their podcast

I swear the forums come up in the weirdest places

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Len posted:

Magnus Archives just did an ad for Creepy which ended with it saying a 50 ft ant story was being read on their podcast

Lol

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I really liked the way this last episode got into Gertrude’s story; how in answering a conversational question he slipped into Archivist Mode.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

Yeah I looked at that feed a while back and saw the title and did a quadruple take and was like wait what is it that 50FA?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Yeah I looked at that feed a while back and saw the title and did a quadruple take and was like wait what is it that 50FA?

Ive never read them but I have read the 50FA boardgame stories and ehhhh

Was it actually good or just a "right time right place" thing?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

Ive never read them but I have read the 50FA boardgame stories and ehhhh

Was it actually good or just a "right time right place" thing?

I just remember the OG 50FA stories loving YEARS ago in GBS that blew up so much, but even those memories are only vague.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I mostly remember his posts in, what, trad games? where people slowly caught on that he was just making poo poo up. That was when I started lurking before I registered, so it was before '09.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Arrhythmia posted:

I mostly remember his posts in, what, trad games? where people slowly caught on that he was just making poo poo up. That was when I started lurking before I registered, so it was before '09.

He wrecked a thread with his stories about dunking on Fatback the gamestore guy. Also his wife was super hot you guys.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Len posted:

He wrecked a thread with his stories about dunking on Fatback the gamestore guy. Also his wife was super hot you guys.

They were fun but silly. My favorite was when the guy kept trying to roll to have sex in game and got natural 1's five times in a row, so there was literally a 1/3,200,000 chance the story was true.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Ohhhh, corpse route, not root, route.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Arrhythmia posted:

Ohhhh, corpse route, not root, route.

I thought it was “root”, referring to that dream of the pulsing roots that identified dead people and then linked back to the archivist.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Jonathan Sims is the man who gave us such lines as "Missile Two killed Baldur" and a 10 Calibre Railgun standing in for Excalibur.

So I think it's safe to assume he's been building up to this loving pun the whole time.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

cptn_dr posted:

Jonathan Sims is the man who gave us such lines as "Missile Two killed Baldur" and a 10 Calibre Railgun standing in for Excalibur.

So I think it's safe to assume he's been building up to this loving pun the whole time.

Is this from one of the rpgs I didn't listen to?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Nah, it's from The Mechanisms, his old band. Baldur is from the Bifrost Incident, a sci-fi retelling of some Norse myth or other it's Ragnarok, everyone fuckin' dies and the Excalibur thing is from Sunset Over Camelot, a sci-fi western retelling if King Arthur. everybody fuckin' dies

Johnny is also allergic to happy endings.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
I'm just picturing the other Fear Gods approaching Oliver Banks and threatening "If you don't cease this destruction we will be force to take drastic measures" And he just says "What's that? You'll kill me?" :smugdog:

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Monstrous avatars of fear writing snarky emails. This is the loving best.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
Corpse roads and coffin routes were a thing though - when the nearest church was in the next valley over that's what they'd call the trail the pall bearers would take.
https://theoutdoorguide.co.uk/britains-favourite-walks/coffin-route-ambleside/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollins_Cross

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

The last TMA was so good. Almost as good as the carousel

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Fell flat for me. They can get to the Lovecraft factory any time now.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Yeah I know it was kinda the point but this one felt a little aimless and martin rambling wasnt nearly as engrossing as John's narrations. Though they really knocked it out of the park with The Worms and Roots.

The Worms 'got' me so much worse than anything else they've ever done and Roots is really interesting from a setting perspective. This kinda felt like filler with some character building in the last five minutes.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I thought that the Worms was just gross nonsense body horror. The most recent one was really good for me. Regardless, I'm impressed by the scope that they're using the fifth season to explore.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Arrhythmia posted:

I thought that the Worms was just gross nonsense body horror. The most recent one was really good for me. Regardless, I'm impressed by the scope that they're using the fifth season to explore.

I think the claustrophobia+body horror just played into my personal fears way more than anything else they've done so it might just be me

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The new season just feels too much like 50 floors of fright. *ding* burned *ding* lonely *ding*. There's no mystery to put together, no danger to the characters, no reason to put Martin through these horrors other than the Archivist not being assed to go around.

I'd love to see the spider or the extinction shake things up a bit, but all the other powers so far seem perfectly content with their own manifest sublets in the Eye's new order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

The new season just feels too much like 50 floors of fright. *ding* burned *ding* lonely *ding*. There's no mystery to put together, no danger to the characters, no reason to put Martin through these horrors other than the Archivist not being assed to go around.

I'd love to see the spider or the extinction shake things up a bit, but all the other powers so far seem perfectly content with their own manifest sublets in the Eye's new order.

The End having the twist of I will eventually kill everyone in this dimension including the entities themselves and there isnt a thing you can do to stop me was pretty interesting and I want to see more stuff like that