Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Thanks! I have leftovers for lunch and dinner today too!

Never tried cast iron skillet pizza - will have to!

Yes, preheating is important, including the pizza stone. I preheat to 450F AND use convection. I let the stone stay in the oven as it's preheating to get hot. I want the bottom of that crust to start cooking as soon as it hits the rock.

Probably took about 17 minutes. If I had to do it again, I would have used the bottom rack or at the very least no tray interfering the with heat radiating from the bottom.

meatpimp posted:

I love that the recipe specifies a "glug" quantity of olive oil! My kinda measurements.
Haha - absolutely.

The beautiful thing about pizza is that the recipe is about as open as you want it to be. About the only thing I follow are a few basic rules with the crust and sauce, other than that, freestyle it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The way I've always viewed it is that cooking is an art and all measurements are open to interpretation, baking is a science and reagents must be measured accurately or you will make a flubber, not a loaf of bread.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

The way I've always viewed it is that cooking is an art and all measurements are open to interpretation, baking is a science and reagents must be measured accurately or you will make a flubber, not a loaf of bread.

Amen. I love cooking, and am annoyed by baking.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

sharkytm posted:

Amen. I love cooking, and am annoyed by baking.

Yep, I've got no interest in baking, but I cook. My wife bakes, but doesn't like cooking. It works.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I like baking breads, but loathe baking cakes etc.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I'm definitely more towards the baking side of things than the cooking side of things.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Agree baking Vs cooking, the satisfaction of a well done loaf of bread is something else though.

I got a little cast iron "sportsman grill" BBQ and I love it, holds the heat great, just the right size for the 4 of us and being iron won't rust out and need replacing every year.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Grakkus posted:

Nice to see your house is getting fixed, and cool camper. But also

holy poo poo that McMansion

Does that thing have 2-two car garages at a right angle to each other?

Humphreys posted:

I would be putting that swelly mess into a cinderblock and covered with sand pronto.

They're being stored in the burn pit until I can get them to our local recycle station.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I can bake, but prefer to leave that to my wife since she enjoys it. I've been baking a lot of banana bread lately tho, and the last one I put a bunch of blueberries in it and it turned out great. Been experimenting with "healthy" baking by using only whole wheat flour and small amounts of sugar and it has worked out really well so far.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Baking runs in my blood. Grandpa was a master Baker (careful how you say that) and he came from a line of them himself. After world war II when the family immigrated to Canada, he opened up a couple of bakeries and that was the family business until he met an untimely demise in a traffic accident delivering bread one morning.

I also enjoy and absolutely have satisfaction of a loaf of bread or buns but I don't have the skill or patience to learn the real intricate stuff. Cooking is certainly closer to my comfort zone but I have nothing but respect for an excellent Baker. Very envious of that skill set.... But maybe not so envious of getting up at 2:30am everyday.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Elviscat posted:

In the early 2000s I worked for a company that delivered interior trim packages to new construction homes, and the wealthy absolutely lose their goddamn minds when they start designing their dream homes.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

kastein posted:

Cooking used to freak me out because everything was so imprecise until I realized that all you're doing for the most part is throwing edible tasty things together and the goal isn't to recreate some specific thing exactly.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Safety Dance posted:

Cooking used to freak me out because everything was so imprecise until I realized that all you're doing for the most part is throwing edible tasty things together and the goal isn't to recreate some specific thing exactly.

Yeah. I hate it when my wife asks for the same thing I made X weeks ago... I'm like "You think I remember what I made? I mean, I have the basic concept of the dish, but not the particulars." And then I make something similar and she loves it and all is right in the world.

I cook, she cleans. We both dabble in baking, and agreed about the simple (:lol:) joy of a loaf of bread.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

meatpimp posted:

suburban_dominance.jpg

That wraparound porch transforms the look of the house.

That's one of the things I'm most excited for, as we're going to also connect that front porch to a bigass deck on the back by wrapping around the west-facing bay window in the kitchen:

That 2nd story deck in the rendering is a little weird and I think it will turn out differently with the stairs etc. but overall I'm pretty pumped about helping connect the front & back of the house and make the entire thing more usable and fun.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Did the wheel just plug and play or did you have to recode it?

It's going to need some Forscan TLC for the heated wheel functions once I have the heated wheel module but as-is it Just Works aside from the buttons that work on the Raptor (like the adaptive steering feel) that don't exist on the Tremor.

Elviscat posted:

Yup. It's kind of a weird house with expensive roofs etc.

Tremek fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 19, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
poo poo y'all just reminded me that I have to bake bread for croutons tonight. UGH.
Baking is fine but cooking is the best. Baking gets really time consuming and while it is definitely science, it's also part art too, ESPECIALLY when it comes to yeast and proofing.

I mean, just because you bought a dozen "AA Large" eggs doesn't mean they're all precisely the same size, or the same size as the ones you used last time. Also it could be more/less humid than what the recipe normally calls for and you have to be able to identify and adjust to yield consistent results.

Hell, even something as simple as using sugar from a fresh bag versus sugar from the bottom of a bag can change your results dramatically.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Tremek posted:

Yup. It's kind of a weird house with expensive roofs etc.

Yeah, have fun when you figure out the roofers hosed up the flashing and water is dribbling into the attic.

Your house is pretty big, but it's nice, simple and clean looking, that porch is gonna be badass.

I am a battery murderer, apparently there are two wires you can swap when rewiring the start switch that will make your fuel pump run without the key in, why is that loving possible? (Figured it out when I put the new battery in and got a big spark and whirrrrr from the bike, fortunately I had a picture of the original connector on my phone so I could figure out I'm a dumbass).

I swapped brown-blue and brown-white.

I also thought this was funny, got the new battery, different brand but OEM spec, and something looked familiar.

That's a cool test indicator, why does the layout look...

Oh, think these come from the same factory in China?

That test indicator is pretty useful, it's covered by the battery hold-down.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I've been cooking a lot more obviously since the stay at home orders, and one thing I've perfected now on my 6th or so batch is brown butter rice krispie treats. Holy poo poo, browning the butter and adding more of it gives you the most amazing flavor profile. I started making them because my daughter asked for them and they're dirt simple, but taking the extra step to brown the butter is worth every additional second.

Recipe:
1 stick salted butter (1/4 lb, 1/2 cup)
12 oz marshmallows (the standard bag size at my store)
6 cups krispies.

Brown the butter, pour over marshmallows, melt in microwave, stop to stir a couple times, once melted pour over krispies, mix well, eat because gently caress waiting for them to cool.

The cool part is one family size box is exactly 3 batches of treats. So each grocery trip I buy a box of butter, 3 bags of shmallows, and 1 box of rice krispies. Easy to remember, easy to make.

Edited to make the butter qty less vague. The bag recipe is 1/4 cup butter, fyi.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 19, 2020

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So, dumb question, how big is a cube of butter? Our cubes here are typically 1lb/2 cups.... which sounds like a lot of butter for 6 cups of rice krispies.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

we usually get a pound divided in to 4 sticks (1/2c each) or 8 half sticks (1/4c each).

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

OK - I think that's about the size sleeves of margarine have. Thanks. I'm a sucker for rice krispie squares and haven't had any in far too long.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Margarine? Just use the recipe on the marshmallow bag.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oh good no, I wouldn't use margarine for that, I would use butter for sure.

Or "?" as in you don't know what margarine is?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Elviscat posted:

This seems to be the way for most modern construction, unfortunately. Best I can tell is it gives the builder more flexibility. A lot of floorplans that have two garages at right angles to each other also have options that consume some or all of one of those garages as a game room / in-law suite / whatever the gently caress else is trendy right now.

The other common option is tandem garages, where there's room for three or four cars, with at least one side being two cars deep, with just a single two-car width rollup door.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I blacklisted my only remaining customer today. No work in the foreseeable future so I guess it's time to get on those trudeau bucks. At least now I'll have time to finish the theater room renovation and start on my turbo SxS project.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

LloydDobler posted:

Margarine? Just use the recipe on the marshmallow bag.
This.

Also, you must be channeling me because I'm about to make rice krispies treats tonight while I wait for my bread to proof.
Probably gonna top it with peanut butter and chocolate though.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I've been making them as well due to Alton's video
https://youtu.be/dworC_RqzHw

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Galler posted:

Hahahaha that's awesome. I lost it at

<----Dinner

I ate half a batch for dinner on sunday night. Totally spoiled my actual dinner.

slidebite posted:

Oh good no, I wouldn't use margarine for that, I would use butter for sure.

Or "?" as in you don't know what margarine is?

I just read your post as "that's the size sleeves of margarine I have". Sorry to low-fat shame.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 19, 2020

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

slidebite posted:

Baking runs in my blood. Grandpa was a master Baker (careful how you say that) and he came from a line of them himself. After world war II when the family immigrated to Canada, he opened up a couple of bakeries and that was the family business until he met an untimely demise in a traffic accident delivering bread one morning.

I also enjoy and absolutely have satisfaction of a loaf of bread or buns but I don't have the skill or patience to learn the real intricate stuff. Cooking is certainly closer to my comfort zone but I have nothing but respect for an excellent Baker. Very envious of that skill set.... But maybe not so envious of getting up at 2:30am everyday.

I miss that life, but $8.50 an hour to work six overnights a week baking and delivering wasn't sustainable.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

poo poo y'all just reminded me that I have to bake bread for croutons tonight. UGH.
Baking is fine but cooking is the best. Baking gets really time consuming and while it is definitely science, it's also part art too, ESPECIALLY when it comes to yeast and proofing.

I mean, just because you bought a dozen "AA Large" eggs doesn't mean they're all precisely the same size, or the same size as the ones you used last time. Also it could be more/less humid than what the recipe normally calls for and you have to be able to identify and adjust to yield consistent results.

Hell, even something as simple as using sugar from a fresh bag versus sugar from the bottom of a bag can change your results dramatically.

None of that matters if you bake by weight, which everyone should do anyway.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Galler posted:

YOOOOOOOOOO he went all out and used Kerrygold!
...wait a minute... I HAVE KERRYGOLD!

Liquid Communism posted:

None of that matters if you bake by weight, which everyone should do anyway.

Well the ambient humidity and size of your sugar granules definitely still is a factor, regardless of weight.
Also, who weighs their eggs?

e; I definitely miss getting up at 3am to go to work and bake for 4 hours before going to school and heading straight back to work to close up shop and start proofing the next day's goods.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 19, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

This seems to be the way for most modern construction, unfortunately. Best I can tell is it gives the builder more flexibility. A lot of floorplans that have two garages at right angles to each other also have options that consume some or all of one of those garages as a game room / in-law suite / whatever the gently caress else is trendy right now.

The other common option is tandem garages, where there's room for three or four cars, with at least one side being two cars deep, with just a single two-car width rollup door.

also saves on driveway and such, and really, are you pulling in/out multiple cars at the same time?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

YOOOOOOOOOO he went all out and used Kerrygold!
...wait a minute... I HAVE KERRYGOLD!

Well the ambient humidity and size of your sugar granules definitely still is a factor, regardless of weight.
Also, who weighs their eggs?

Size of granules doesn't matter if you portion by weight, and flour humidity doesn't change the weight nearly as badly as it does the volume. Plus, weights instead of volumes mean easy scaling of recipes.

You weigh your eggs when you need 4lbs of them for muffin the recipe you're making in the 80 qt Hobart. :v:

For example, my day to day muffin recipe, I made 20,000+ of these by hand over two years:

Sugar - 8oz
    Salt - 1/10oz
    Shortening - 5 1/4oz
    Vanilla - 3/8oz
    Eggs - 5 1/4oz
    Whole Milk - 3 1/2oz
    Water - 3 1/2oz
    AP Flour - 14oz
    Baking Powder - 1/2oz

That's the 6 ~8oz bakery muffin minimum size version.

Method if anyone wants to make them is mix all wet ingredients (sugar counts as wet), sift together all dry ingredients, then combine. Don't over-mix. Portion into greased muffin tins and bake off. Add ~8oz frozen blueberries/chocolate chips/etc based on what you want your muffins to taste like. I like lemon oil and poppyseeds.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 19, 2020

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

slidebite posted:

Yes, preheating is important, including the pizza stone. I preheat to 450F AND use convection. I let the stone stay in the oven as it's preheating to get hot. I want the bottom of that crust to start cooking as soon as it hits the rock.

Probably took about 17 minutes. If I had to do it again, I would have used the bottom rack or at the very least no tray interfering the with heat radiating from the bottom.

I crank the oven as high as it will go, leave the pizza stone in there for 30 minutes once it's up to temperature and then pull the stone out, assemble the pizza quickly and turf it back in the oven on the top shelf. Pizza is ready in about 5 minutes once the oven is heatsoaked.

Also I can never recommend cold rising your dough enough.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Liquid Communism posted:

Size of granules doesn't matter if you portion by weight, and flour humidity doesn't change the weight nearly as badly as it does the volume. Plus, weights instead of volumes mean easy scaling of recipes.

You weigh your eggs when you need 4lbs of them for muffin the recipe you're making in the 80 qt Hobart. :v:

For example, my day to day muffin recipe, I made 20,000+ of these by hand over two years:

Sugar - 8oz
    Salt - 1/10oz
    Shortening - 5 1/4oz
    Vanilla - 3/8oz
    Eggs - 5 1/4oz
    Whole Milk - 3 1/2oz
    Water - 3 1/2oz
    AP Flour - 14oz
    Baking Powder - 1/2oz

That's the 6 ~6.5oz bakery muffin minimum size version.

Method if anyone wants to make them is mix all wet ingredients (sugar counts as wet), sift together all dry ingredients, then combine. Don't over-mix. Portion into greased muffin tins and bake off. Add ~8oz frozen blueberries/chocolate chips/etc based on what you want your muffins to taste like. I like lemon oil and poppyseeds.

lol okay I was thinking MUCH smaller portions like a handfull of cookies or like 2 scones.
Yeah if you're making dumpsters full of muffins there really isn't any other weigh (see what I did there?)

Also I just finished the whole rice krispies treats video. THAT MOTHERFUCKER USED THE BOX TO CONCEAL HIS BAKED TREATS! He was born a genius.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

also saves on driveway and such, and really, are you pulling in/out multiple cars at the same time?

Most folks with cause for a 4 car garage also likely have 2 or more drivers in the house... I’m annoyed enough as it is by our dumb rental house’s 3 car garage with a concrete driveway that curves a bit due to being in a cul-de-sac... When I put up my bigass garage this fall I’m doing at least one pull through bay because being blocked sucks.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

yeah but what are the odds that my wife and i are both simultaneously trying to leave?

my use case for a four car garage is to keep like 2 poo poo cars plus 2 actually functional cars so i think it would work ok for me

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 20, 2020

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

kastein posted:

I feel like that's a lot because baking can be something you have a lot less direct control over as opposed to most other cooking methods. If you put too much liquid in a sauce you just simmer it longer, if you put too much liquid in a batter your cookies will turn into one big sheetpan-size cookie.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yeah but what are the odds that my wife and i are both simultaneously trying to leave?

my use case for a four car garage is to keep like 2 poo poo cars plus 2 actually functional cars so i think it would work ok for me

Simultaneous isn't the issue, it's "I have to move this car to get to that car". If your neighborhood is also a pain in the rear end about street parking, that means you probably need to move the other car multiple times. Two 90 degree garages is fine for this, tandem garages less so.

The downside of two 90 degree garages is that if they're even connected at all, it's not going to be by much.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have any of the above over the tiny "two car" garage I have now. That's all only because the feasibility of me being able to afford a place where I want to live, with enough land to build a separate shop, is near zero.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Cooking chat:

I feel that one area that causes a lot of frustration with cooking, baking in particular, is recipes that are written that assume the reader has knowledge & experience of certain (often basic) techniques.

I've had to troubleshoot failures for friends and it's usually a basic issue such as not understanding what "rub butter into flour" or "cream butter & sugar" actually means, and what the result looks like. Heck half the time I don't even know why I'm doing these things, I just have the experience to know how to do them, and what they look like when done right.

Not everyone can look at a lovely recipe for bechamel and realise what they're asking when they tell you to dump flour, milk, cheese and butter in a pan is that you actually have to make a roux, gradually add the milk and then melt the cheese in at the end. Also, gently caress packet Lasagna.

Another issue that's becoming more prevalent is lovely insta/youtube clickbait videos for like 5 ingedient masterpieces. Simply put, these recipes often don't work and they only exist to please the algorithm. Here's a good video about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvqa8dsBtno

Then there's the other side of it. My girlfriend was trying to replicate one of these Dalgona iced coffee foam recipes and spent hours failing. She was getting so frustrated. In the end I determined she wasn't simply following the recipe, at all. Ingredients, quantities and techniques - all wrong. She's by no means a poor or inexperienced cook but she was trying to run before she could walk. I'm guilty of this too, I've been trying my hand at a lot more bread and while I haven't had any abject failures yet, I am making plenty of mistakes and learning by error. I am going to be a victim of hubris one day!

Anyways, thats a lot of text, have some pictures of food.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

What's that last one? It looks loving amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

Simultaneous isn't the issue, it's "I have to move this car to get to that car". If your neighborhood is also a pain in the rear end about street parking, that means you probably need to move the other car multiple times. Two 90 degree garages is fine for this, tandem garages less so.

The downside of two 90 degree garages is that if they're even connected at all, it's not going to be by much.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have any of the above over the tiny "two car" garage I have now. That's all only because the feasibility of me being able to afford a place where I want to live, with enough land to build a separate shop, is near zero.

Yeah I have an 1 block off premises garage that dates to about 1920 that is very narrow for me to work on the M5. I'll take whatever poo poo I can get.