Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It does seem like the camera one would work if you wanted to go that route though.

It doesn’t seem that pricy :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Yeah, I'd probably give it a go but from that link posted above about troubleshooting rf interference the radio signal will still be a problem with a different unit.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Stretch Marx posted:

Get rid of the 2 downstairs bedrooms and the bathroom in between them and that's not that bad actually.

But isn't that the only bathroom in the whole house? It looks like the plans don't call for any plumbing upstairs. I suppose with the smaller footprint, you'll have room for an outhouse on your property.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

norp posted:

Red/black is a 12v power supply (buried in the wall, it doesn't pop out in the ceiling with the green bundle)
Red/blue heads to the street for the gate

I was actually looking up the wiring diagrams for this unit and it seems that all six wires are meant to be connected, so perhaps the installer was just a moron.

That;s how I guessed the power was supplied.
I also guessed that the transformer was tucked away somewhere accessible, so you couldn't run an extra earth wire there and use that.

Try the home automation thread, they might have ideas on how to resolve it.

I'd guess the unused terminals are for a keypad and internal door release that you aren't using.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Proteus Jones posted:

But isn't that the only bathroom in the whole house? It looks like the plans don't call for any plumbing upstairs. I suppose with the smaller footprint, you'll have room for an outhouse on your property.

I assume that the lack of plumbing upstairs is to reduce the weight on the floors and let them get away with some thin as gently caress beams.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I wonder if it's up to code for anywhere that isn't Houston.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

norp posted:

Pretty sure it's a "bigger number better" thing that started with "3D" glass screen protectors - when curved phone screen Glass became a thing

This is visible in diamond painting, aka "5D" painting. I mean, I get that the surface has texture so it's more than 2D... but sure, why not jump straight to 5?

Incidentally, is anyone else experiencing a weird glitch where AliExpress says "Sorry, your search did not match any products. Please try again." and simply refreshing the page will actually populate it with results?

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

This is visible in diamond painting, aka "5D" painting. I mean, I get that the surface has texture so it's more than 2D... but sure, why not jump straight to 5?

Incidentally, is anyone else experiencing a weird glitch where AliExpress says "Sorry, your search did not match any products. Please try again." and simply refreshing the page will actually populate it with results?

Logging in helps me with that problem.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
My tellurium got in! A couple sources say that if you ingest tellurium, you will smell so bad that you will basically be forced to kill yourself to escape from the odor. I think that's probably exaggerated, so I grabbed a 10 gram ingot, supposedly 99.999% pure. The ingot itself doesn't smell like anything, but it got partially crushed in transit and after opening the bag I've got a headache...

I also got a 1 cm cube of tungsten from the same shop, and it's awesome. It's over 19 grams, and it's got super sharp edges. I want to get more element sample cubes over time, but even from Aliexpress they're not cheap - usually like $5-15 for the cheap elements and then thousands for some of the rare ones.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Cichlidae posted:

My tellurium got in! A couple sources say that if you ingest tellurium, you will smell so bad that you will basically be forced to kill yourself to escape from the odor. I think that's probably exaggerated, so I grabbed a 10 gram ingot, supposedly 99.999% pure. The ingot itself doesn't smell like anything, but it got partially crushed in transit and after opening the bag I've got a headache...

I also got a 1 cm cube of tungsten from the same shop, and it's awesome. It's over 19 grams, and it's got super sharp edges. I want to get more element sample cubes over time, but even from Aliexpress they're not cheap - usually like $5-15 for the cheap elements and then thousands for some of the rare ones.

Link please goon sire.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Link please goon sire.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33041149187.html <-- There's the tellurium. The N stands for the purity - 4N is 99.99%, 5N is 99.999%. Who knows what the remainder is.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33024838621.html <-- There's the tungsten. Another seller that has a bunch of the cubes is Element Hunter: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/5603003

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

Is that why my painting is intersecting the wall and I can see it with my eyes closed

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

I was having that earlier. Sometimes it would crap out just switching between pages in a search. I was logged in too, so that didn't help. :sigh:

Lonely Rolling Star
Mar 20, 2009

Better than a crowbar.

Cichlidae posted:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33041149187.html <-- There's the tellurium. The N stands for the purity - 4N is 99.99%, 5N is 99.999%. Who knows what the remainder is.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33024838621.html <-- There's the tungsten. Another seller that has a bunch of the cubes is Element Hunter: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/5603003

I never thought I needed a living periodic table in my life until five minutes ago. Thanks!

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Bees on Wheat posted:

I was having that earlier. Sometimes it would crap out just switching between pages in a search. I was logged in too, so that didn't help. :sigh:

I've had it happen when country and currency settings were mismatched.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Tellurium itself doesn't stink. It's when ingested it gets converted into dimethyl telluride your body slowly sweats out. That's what stinks. If you look at the periodic table, tellurium is in the same group as sulfur, so it forms similar compounds.

Even inhaling small amounts of vapor gives you "garlic breath", while ingesting it leads to weeks of reeks.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I wonder if it's up to code for anywhere that isn't Houston.

Nope. Spiral staircase as the only connection to more than 20% of the living space would get you the stink eye in a lot of jurisdictions.

That layout is even worse than some of the small ships I've spent too much of my life on.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MrUnderbridge posted:

Tellurium itself doesn't stink. It's when ingested it gets converted into dimethyl telluride your body slowly sweats out. That's what stinks. If you look at the periodic table, tellurium is in the same group as sulfur, so it forms similar compounds.

Even inhaling small amounts of vapor gives you "garlic breath", while ingesting it leads to weeks of reeks.

Why hasn't this been weaponised?

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

goatface posted:

Based on some of the accountants I have met, I think it has.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Had this displayed on the homepage of Ali Express as a recommendation for me today. I'm not sure what algorithms they're using.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

HJE-Cobra posted:

Had this displayed on the homepage of Ali Express as a recommendation for me today. I'm not sure what algorithms they're using.

I mean, they DO also sell hoverboards, right?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

HJE-Cobra posted:

Does that not look exotic to you?

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

goatface posted:

There are tales of chem majors "pranking" others with a speck of tellurium in somebody else's food.

Apocryphal? Who knows.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Cichlidae posted:

I want to get more element sample cubes over time, but even from Aliexpress they're not cheap - usually like $5-15 for the cheap elements and then thousands for some of the rare ones.

This thing seems to have 83 element samples at $67, neatly displayed.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

MrUnderbridge posted:

There are tales of chem majors "pranking" others with a speck of tellurium in somebody else's food.

Apocryphal? Who knows.

I can say there's been no smell after inhaling a few micrograms. I might bump up to a bigger chunk, but I don't want this to end up like those TCC phenazepam trip reports where instead of buying a grand piano and crashing my car, I have to live in a smellproof bubble for the rest of my life.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

That is a good price. I wish there were reviews because there are similar ones that just have pictures of the elements instead of samples, and the photos on that listing are pretty low-res.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

I dunno that looks kinda just like a graphic of all the elements encased needlessly in 1" thick acrylic

maybe that's the joke

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Yup. I got snookered on that one. It looked like it was the actual one with the samples embedded. Turned out it was printed on clear sheet.

One of my early mistakes, before I found out about refunds.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

whoops didn't realise I ordered entire packs of each letter - at least I have spares lol!

Edit: Any ideas for how to make these into rings? I think they are made for 30mm straps so weird people can have chokers saying PUDDIN or some poo poo.

Red Rox fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 20, 2020

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Has anyone bought any of the Lepin fake lego sets? What's the general quality like and what's some good sets to buy? Looking for a fairly big build to keep me a bit occupied during this quarantine. Though I realise by the time it arrives this will probably be over.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
I got a friend of mine one of those "Enlighten" brand knockoff Lego sets, perhaps the best set to buy

That's right, the assassination of Lego Hitler

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000108138809.html

I think the vendor I bought it from is no longer available, this one is a different listing for the same item. It's not a very big set, though. If you want a big build it's not a great choice.

Anyway, from what he said about the set, it of course wasn't as high-quality as proper Lego. He said he wouldn't want to mix up the knockoff bricks with real Lego, but it seemed okay enough otherwise. He's also kind of a purist for Lego, and good about creative builds, so I mostly got him the set just to get him a Lego Hitler.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I want to see the knockoff Lego post-suicide Hitler.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I want to see the knockoff Lego post-suicide Hitler.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/4000141758518.html

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Legos have gotten way too extreme for me.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Just Chamber posted:

Has anyone bought any of the Lepin fake lego sets? What's the general quality like and what's some good sets to buy? Looking for a fairly big build to keep me a bit occupied during this quarantine. Though I realise by the time it arrives this will probably be over.

I bought the Lepin Millennium Falcon for a friend.

It was missing a few small parts and the English on the stickers was all wrong, but other than that everything was fine. The pieces looked perfect and snapped together well. There was nothing wrong with the manual.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Millennial Failson

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Just Chamber posted:

I got the Ultrakatty knockoff from the lego, umm Lepin Movie 2. I cant see any difference. (other than like it being 1/3 -1/4 of the price)

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Cichlidae posted:

That is a good price. I wish there were reviews because there are similar ones that just have pictures of the elements instead of samples, and the photos on that listing are pretty low-res.

Yeah, I'm not sure about it, either; it just seems like it's the same product as this, which does have reviews, as well as better photos. The listing does speak of "samples", so it should actually have more than a photograph... but, this is AliExpress, so buyer beware ;)

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Just Chamber posted:

This just got posted in the LEGO thread.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Nope, I’ve been burned there. Same with ali express, most listings are aspirational and don’t actually post what’s in inventory, which is a problem with sets like that which haven’t been manufactured in awhile. They will sit on your order, possibly for months because they’re unable to get it themselves and you’ll have to fight for a refund and drag out the process with fake tracking numbers, or they’ll substitute it with a shittier brand like lele or bela. Not a big fan of either platform. Plus you’re paying separately for shipping there, which brings their prices over most other places. Lepin as a brand is dead, after the raid last year the remnants were rebranded as King/Queen. Gobricks also makes high quality bricks for Mould King & Sembo/SY among others.

This is where I bought mine in December, as well as most of my other retired bootlego bricks. They keep good track of their inventory, take PayPal, are responsive on email, and typically ship fast (~12 days to US, though YMMV as international flights are dead and shipping shot up 50% recently).

Hope that helps!

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

Platystemon posted:

I bought the Lepin Millennium Falcon for a friend.

It was missing a few small parts and the English on the stickers was all wrong, but other than that everything was fine. The pieces looked perfect and snapped together well. There was nothing wrong with the manual.

I bought the same for my nephew. I don’t recall him having missing pieces but he may have just not mentioned that (This was for xmas 2017).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
Now that I think about it, it may not have been missing parts.

Some of the greebles, I think the binoculars, were a little loose, so I ordered authentic LEGO replacements for a few bucks.