Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pastry of the Year posted:

This is Pasqually, by the way:

I actually have a great fondness for those weird old Chuck E. Cheese animatronic characters, so when this news broke yesterday I was like you know what, good for you.

You may argue about the quality of CEC pizza, but it's where I learned, as a kid, that I love black olives, so it can never go below 2/5 for me. :shobon:
I read in an article that they have phased out the animatronics in their locations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

So, and apparently this is not a joke, Chuck E Cheese created a separate brand name for them to sell pizza and wings via food delivery apps since in most places they can’t open normally

https://twitter.com/usatoday/status/1262714116810162176?s=21

Is that uncommon? Over here in the UK basically every major chain restaurant has shadow kitchens under other names on Deliveroo (even in the normal times).

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Am I not remembering correctly or isn't Chuck E. Cheese pizza not good? If I ordered from some place called Pasqually's and got Chuck E. Cheese I'd be annoyed. You don't go to an arcade because the food is delicious.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Krispy Wafer posted:

Am I not remembering correctly or isn't Chuck E. Cheese pizza not good? If I ordered from some place called Pasqually's and got Chuck E. Cheese I'd be annoyed. You don't go to an arcade because the food is delicious.
Yes it’s trash. The company is claiming that the Pasqually’s pizza is more ‘premium’ but I highly doubt that

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Krispy Wafer posted:

It's one step above frozen pizza, all assembled from Sysco ingredients.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I really just need to get good at making my own pizza, the biggest problem I have is that I have to let the dough rise for a couple of hours, and that just saps my will to do it on a week night.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Wal-mart sells a decent non-frozen dough that you just throw the ingrediants on and bake, costs like $2 - $3 bucks. Should be near the ready to bake cookies/pilsbury biscuit rolls.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Anora posted:

Wal-mart sells a decent non-frozen dough that you just throw the ingrediants on and bake, costs like $2 - $3 bucks. Should be near the ready to bake cookies/pilsbury biscuit rolls.

I know, but I figure "pizza" is a good post-apocalypse skill

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
English muffin pizzas taste better than anything with the word English in it has a right to and don't require separate dough.

Krispy Wafer has a new favorite as of 16:39 on May 19, 2020

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Iron Crowned posted:

I really just need to get good at making my own pizza, the biggest problem I have is that I have to let the dough rise for a couple of hours, and that just saps my will to do it on a week night.

I use the dough recipe from here, no need to let it rise for an hour. It still puffs up huge as it cooks.

https://www.countrysidecravings.com/deep-dish-three-meat-pizza/

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

BigDave posted:

It's one step above frozen pizza, all assembled from Sysco ingredients.

not sure if "step above frozen pizza" is accurate here

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

brugroffil posted:

not sure if "step above frozen pizza" is accurate here

It's not a big step, but it's still a marginal improvement.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

BigDave posted:

It's not a big step, but it's still a marginal improvement.

I don't know, have you ever had a Totino's Party Pizza?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

I don't know, have you ever had a Totino's Party Pizza?

My kid was trying to describe a type of pizza she wanted me to buy. Like it's square and it has little square chunks and you put it in the microwave and yeah kid I know Totino's. I knew Totino's when I was your age.

I was happy to see the price has only gone up .29 cents in 25 years.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Krispy Wafer posted:

My kid was trying to describe a type of pizza she wanted me to buy. Like it's square and it has little square chunks and you put it in the microwave and yeah kid I know Totino's. I knew Totino's when I was your age.

Have you told your kid that microwaves are bad, and that she should use the oven because it makes it crispy and delicious?

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Why would this make you happy? I'd bet it's a result of compromising even further on quality. Like how McDonalds kept their dollar menu items the same price for like 20 years and 5 Guy's can't go like 2 years without raising prices.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

AvesPKS posted:

Why would this make you happy? I'd bet it's a result of compromising even further on quality. Like how McDonalds kept their dollar menu items the same price for like 20 years and 5 Guy's can't go like 2 years without raising prices.

Odds a 1991 era Totino's pizza cost 50 cents to make and a 2020 Totino's cost about 75 cents to make. They're still making that party pizza money without skimping on 'quality'.

Iron Crowned posted:

Have you told your kid that microwaves are bad, and that she should use the oven because it makes it crispy and delicious?

I'm totally going to try and air fry a Totino's.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

AvesPKS posted:

Totino's are the perfect hangover breakfast and/or day drinking afternoon snack.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

blunt posted:

Is that uncommon? Over here in the UK basically every major chain restaurant has shadow kitchens under other names on Deliveroo (even in the normal times).

It isn't common where I am at, although after this all started, we do have a couple mystery places on delivery apps that are either food trucks or just completely making their address up. I'm pretty sure one of the new Mexican places was actually a topless bar pre pandemic.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rick posted:

I'm pretty sure one of the new Mexican places was actually a topless bar pre pandemic.

Hell, I'm sold post-pandemic

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Phy posted:

Toilet paper, flour and milk propping up the ecnomy

Grandma your bread recipe sucks!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Thread is slacking off on it's primary duty.

https://twitter.com/Amy_Siskind/status/1262793939289100288?s=20

Big Wicker may never recover.

Krispy Wafer has a new favorite as of 21:47 on May 19, 2020

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

and another Blues Brothers joke becomes indecipherable to future audiences

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Good news for Trader Pete's!

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

FlamingLiberal posted:

You can make that same kind of meal with a $120 InstaPot

Yes, but not all at the same time like with this thing. They both do things that the other doesn’t. They’re not really comparable devices.

Like I can kinda understand that this is a first of its kind device and that there’s a premium for that kind of thing because the supply chain and assembly lines are still new. Maybe something like this will become more plausible for an average person to own when prices go down, kinks get worked out, and more features are added.

As it is though I’m a bit baffled on who’s buying enough of these things to keep this company in the black.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

and another Blues Brothers joke becomes indecipherable to future audiences

For a company that's been around for almost 60 years, that's the extent of it's cultural zeitgeist and it has to share that with disco pants, haircuts, and baby clothes.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Krispy Wafer posted:

I spent many boring afternoons as a child being dragged to a pier one while my mother looked at wicker chairs and pillows and clay pots and dried willow reeds and poo poo while I desperately hoped for death to take me. I'm very pleased that they are dead, for purely petty reasons.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

This is Pasqually, by the way:

I actually have a great fondness for those weird old Chuck E. Cheese animatronic characters, so when this news broke yesterday I was like you know what, good for you.

You may argue about the quality of CEC pizza, but it's where I learned, as a kid, that I love black olives, so it can never go below 2/5 for me. :shobon:

You should check out The Rock-afire Explosion documentary. Its fascinating and depressing.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Odds a 1991 era Totino's pizza cost 50 cents to make and a 2020 Totino's cost about 75 cents to make. They're still making that party pizza money without skimping on 'quality'.

I'm totally going to try and air fry a Totino's.

I could be wrong. I probably haven't had one in a few years and I'm sure you know how comparable the taste is to the original. One of the reasons I like Roy Rogers food is because it's a nostalgia trip eating there, as all of their food tastes exactly the same as it did 25 years ago. (If Wendy's came out with a 'circa 1996 chicken sandwich' I'd eat there for sure). I've just tended to notice that over the last 20-25 years any product that maintains consistent quality for years usually goes up in price, and anything that tries to maintain a consistent price either ends up cutting portion sizes or quality.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Promoted Pawn posted:

As it is though I’m a bit baffled on who’s buying enough of these things to keep this company in the black.

Assumes facts not in evidence, your honour.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I've seen it. I recommend it to anyone interested; I'm glad they're keeping those weird old robots alive, but I don't really want anything to do with them.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Volmarias posted:

I spent many boring afternoons as a child being dragged to a pier one while my mother looked at wicker chairs and pillows and clay pots and dried willow reeds and poo poo while I desperately hoped for death to take me. I'm very pleased that they are dead, for purely petty reasons.

Not the same chain but your post evoked sudden memories of the bleak existential despair that took hold of my soul while being dragged to the local Wicker, Clay And Reeds by my mother when I was a child.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

I'm sad to see them go, to be honest. I don't know anything about their business practices, but as a teenager it was fun to go and find weird cheap poo poo to put in your room.

I bet teens these days feel the same way about wish.com

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

lord funk posted:

I'm sad to see them go, to be honest. I don't know anything about their business practices, but as a teenager it was fun to go and find weird cheap poo poo to put in your room.

I bet teens these days feel the same way about wish.com

That’s what Cost Plus World Mart is for now. Or Spencers.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Biplane posted:

Not the same chain but your post evoked sudden memories of the bleak existential despair that took hold of my soul while being dragged to the local Wicker, Clay And Reeds by my mother when I was a child.

I have the exact same sentiment about all those Oak Furniture Stores that popped up in the 90s and collapsed in the past few years. I have many, many unpleasant memories of being dragged to store after store while my parents hemmed and hawed and eventually selected a fuckoff huge entertainment center and... giant bed-surrounding double-armoire dealie, both of which they abandoned to the buyers of our house in 2013 because they could not be hosed to move any of it across the country

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Sex Hobbit posted:

I have the exact same sentiment about all those Oak Furniture Stores that popped up in the 90s and collapsed in the past few years. I have many, many unpleasant memories of being dragged to store after store while my parents hemmed and hawed and eventually selected a fuckoff huge entertainment center and... giant bed-surrounding double-armoire dealie, both of which they abandoned to the buyers of our house in 2013 because they could not be hosed to move any of it across the country

It's hell.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Subjunctive posted:

Assumes facts not in evidence, your honour.

Fair enough.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
As someone who knows nothing about interior design how is Pier 1 any different than all the other housing goods stores? Like, they all seem to sell more or less the same stuff, to my eye anyway. :shrug:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I must be kind of weird in that I always liked checking out furniture stores, albeit I'd get my grubby mitts all over everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sex Hobbit posted:

Its a shame because that Oak stuff would legit last forever and its too bad its ugly (in most cases) and heavy as gently caress.