Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

Just wanted to say I picked up the official Carista OBD2 adapter (my older bluetooth adapter wasn't the full protocol that carista uses, worked for torque level stuff only) and it's worked really well. I cleared the airbag fault, reset the service interval, and turned on flashing brake lights during extreme braking. I tried turning on the long-press remote function to roll windows down but it didn't work. I guess it's not supported in my vehicle (Mk5 GTI). I used it on my partner's 2013 Jetta to turn DRL on (I'm in Canada) as well.

It was about the same price on Amazon as any other adapter so I'm pleased. It comes with a free month trial of the full app features which I used for this.

I enabled long press windows up/down on my 2009 GTI with a VAGCOM cable a few years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Does anyone know of a good guide to R8 servicing costs? I can now get a company car which would probably be an A4 or 3-series wagon/estate and it occurs to me that I could replace my TTS* with something a bit less sensible for pootling around here and Northern Italy post lockdown.

Looks like I can get an S-Tronic V8 Spyder for 60-70k CHF and the idea is very appealing.

* which is being recalled this year because it may catch fire

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Residency Evil posted:

$1k/year doesn't seem terrible?

Better than my S8 €10k last year. This year I'm aiming for €1k. Only had to replace a door lock, rear brake calipers, cables and oil. Hopefully it'll even out the longer I own it..

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

knox_harrington posted:

Does anyone know of a good guide to R8 servicing costs? I can now get a company car which would probably be an A4 or 3-series wagon/estate and it occurs to me that I could replace my TTS* with something a bit less sensible for pootling around here and Northern Italy post lockdown.

Looks like I can get an S-Tronic V8 Spyder for 60-70k CHF and the idea is very appealing.

* which is being recalled this year because it may catch fire

Buy an Alpine you coward

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Don't know if this is the right thread or not, and it's the dumbest question ever, but I can't figure out how the GPS in my Volkswagen Golf works. Let's say I have to go to Fart street 69. I can start typing in Fa and Fartstreet will come up, but when I select that, there's no way to select a number.
Do I have to type Fartstreet 69 every time I want to go there? I'm missing something extremely obvious right?

EDIT: Oh yeah, that reminds me of something else. I have that active info display, and if I select navigation, I only see an arrow on that display. On videos and pictures of the active info display, they always have the full navigation map up there. Is that also a setting I'm missing?

I feel like an 90 year shouting at kids to get off my lawn :negative:

shut up blegum fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 8, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

you're gonna have to tell us what model, year, and trim there friend

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Even though the UI is backwards in my mk6, I always start my address input going from State -> City -> Road -> Building #

Could be that you're in the menu for finding an intersection.. where it'll first ask you for one street, then the next cross street. Useful for where you don't really know the building # offhand.

https://imgur.com/vFcGrqP

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Maybe you gotta enter it like a German and put the house number first?

Idk

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you're gonna have to tell us what model, year, and trim there friend

Oh right, it's a 2019 Golf Variant Comfortline, and it has the "Discover Media" navigation system.

dialhforhero posted:

Maybe you gotta enter it like a German and put the house number first?

Idk

Hmmm, don't think that's how they do it in Germany, but I'll try that out.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I’ve been hoping used 997 prices come down soon because I need to replace my Saabaru, but I drove a 3rd gen TTS today just to see what that would be like as a backup.

I was surprised how much I liked it. DSG still has significant delay when you put your foot down in auto modes but is fine in manual.

Minimal roll, a bit crash over bumps but overall the right level of firmness for me. Nice grip.

I love the styling, especially the interior. Extremely simple and modern with no bullshit screen in the center stack. The AC controls are really well designed. I have a soft spot for 1st gen TTs as well but didn’t like the second.

It does feel a bit like a cave (I don’t like slick tops) and cargo/seating is kind of a joke, but probably not worse than a 911. My kid would just barely fit in the back in his forward facing seat, and a shorter person might still fit in the passenger seat.

I don’t see it for the 30k they’re going for, though - the value proposition isn’t there, even though I’m limited by needing a back seat. That’s a high premium for styling and interior on what is otherwise an OK car. A base 997 C2 probably makes more sense. GTI or Golf R are obviously more sensible, but I’m in that desperately hollow stage of midlife where I want some flair.

Does anyone know if the base 3rd gen TT has the same suspension and sport mode?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

blk posted:

I’ve been hoping used 997 prices come down soon because I need to replace my Saabaru, but I drove a 3rd gen TTS today just to see what that would be like as a backup.

I was surprised how much I liked it. DSG still has significant delay when you put your foot down in auto modes but is fine in manual.

Minimal roll, a bit crash over bumps but overall the right level of firmness for me. Nice grip.

I love the styling, especially the interior. Extremely simple and modern with no bullshit screen in the center stack. The AC controls are really well designed. I have a soft spot for 1st gen TTs as well but didn’t like the second.

It does feel a bit like a cave (I don’t like slick tops) and cargo/seating is kind of a joke, but probably not worse than a 911. My kid would just barely fit in the back in his forward facing seat, and a shorter person might still fit in the passenger seat.

I don’t see it for the 30k they’re going for, though - the value proposition isn’t there, even though I’m limited by needing a back seat. That’s a high premium for styling and interior on what is otherwise an OK car. A base 997 C2 probably makes more sense. GTI or Golf R are obviously more sensible, but I’m in that desperately hollow stage of midlife where I want some flair.

Do you have another vehicle for taking the kid biking, camping, putting their instrument in when they get to that age, etc?

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Not yet. I'm divorced, have my kid part time, and the future is very ambiguous - I might settle down with someone else who would have a second vehicle (it's been on/off with a B5 Passat owner; I guess that qualifies as an abusive relationship). I might not, and put my kid up front once he's too big for the back, or I could move on to another car. The TT definitely has the jack of all trades, master of none thing going on.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Buy an Alpine you coward

Now there's an idea, sounds like they are basically a finished Elise (which I absolutely loved when I drove my brother's). I'll have to give one a test drive. Have you driven them?

blk posted:

The TT definitely has the jack of all trades, master of none thing going on.

I have a TTS and what you describe is correct. It's objectively an awesome car but just a bit boring to drive. When I got it I was thinking about a Cayman or older 911 but as it's my/our only car the practicality of being able to get stuff in the back won out - 165cm skis fit in the back and my girlfriend is a cycle racer and we don't have to use a roof rack. It's been awesome in the snow, never got stuck in some pretty bad conditions.

Depends on what you need I guess, as an only car it gets to the "sporty enough" point, and looks great, while being vaguely practical. What it doesn't do is put a big smile on my face when I drive up the 21 hairpin bends to where I am in the mountains.

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 9, 2020

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

blk posted:

You want 2017+ MK3 TTS. My fiance has the 2016 which does not have Android auto or car play, and while the virtual cockpit is great, we basically never use the in car navigation. Of we could just get Android auto/Google maps on the dash that would be great.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

knox_harrington posted:

Now there's an idea, sounds like they are basically a finished Elise (which I absolutely loved when I drove my brother's). I'll have to give one a test drive. Have you driven them?

Unfortunately not. I know there's a dealer in Zurich because I used to stay in a hotel across the street. By all accounts it's a fairly good bridge between Cayman and Elise, and they look cool.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
'13 TDI Passat progress:
DSG Service done
New AC compressor valve
Oil done

Next month:
Rear struts, tires all around, and timing belt kit.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
is there any particularly better version of the DSG service kit from any of these online vendors who sell them

Nermal.
Mar 16, 2003

Hello!

Russian Bear posted:

The 1st gen A7 really tickles me. The proportions are just so and while a long car, it looked rather normal sized even when I drove by in my Fit. The hatch seals the deal. I'd also like to know about reliability of these if anyone has experience. I assume the twin turbo 8 has more potential for issues than the supercharged 6.

Engine mounts on the 3.0T. It wasn’t fixed until the mid cycle refresh in 2016. It’s not IF they need to be replaced, it’s when. I have a relative who owned 4 various A6s-A7s and every C7 got the shakes and needed mount replacements. The C7.5 didn’t budge. It only happens on the A6/A7 for some dumb reason, the S4 / S5 / SQ5 / A8 3.0Ts mounts are fine. Everything else is reliable and pretty easy.

The 4.0T has some sort of “common enough where hordes of people are crying for a class action lawsuit” problem with something getting blocked and destroying BOTH turbos, which is an eleventy thousand dollar repair out of warranty. It’s like a five second Google and you’ll run into dozens of posts from grumpy twin turbo replacers. Coworker blew them on his A8 Sport, he was FURIOUS. I think there’s a way to replace something and get in front of it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BraveUlysses posted:

is there any particularly better version of the DSG service kit from any of these online vendors who sell them

Pentosin sells a fluid/filter kit:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=7668792&cc=1505288&jsn=2219

That's what I used.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Nermal. posted:

Engine mounts on the 3.0T. It wasn’t fixed until the mid cycle refresh in 2016. It’s not IF they need to be replaced, it’s when. I have a relative who owned 4 various A6s-A7s and every C7 got the shakes and needed mount replacements. The C7.5 didn’t budge. It only happens on the A6/A7 for some dumb reason, the S4 / S5 / SQ5 / A8 3.0Ts mounts are fine. Everything else is reliable and pretty easy.

The 4.0T has some sort of “common enough where hordes of people are crying for a class action lawsuit” problem with something getting blocked and destroying BOTH turbos, which is an eleventy thousand dollar repair out of warranty. It’s like a five second Google and you’ll run into dozens of posts from grumpy twin turbo replacers. Coworker blew them on his A8 Sport, he was FURIOUS. I think there’s a way to replace something and get in front of it.

Thanks. Yeah I haven't even googled about the S7 because lol owning that engine out of warranty.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

So I bought a CPO 2017 Golf about a month ago with a 1.8T. After a week or two it developed a squeak at low speeds, especially when turning. They replaced a handful of parts (crankshaft pulley, wheel bearing, strut bearing, serpentine belt and tensioner).

Well, they called just a bit ago, and said they found a bunch of metal in the oil after changing it just recently and they're going to be replacing the engine and turbo. Luckily this is all under warranty.

I feel conflicted. On the one hand, they've replaced and checked a whole bunch of things, and it'll hopefully all be remedied. On the other, this is a car with 50,000 miles that had oil changes every 5,000 and seemed to be well taken care of. I don’t know, maybe it’s just luck.

Anyway, sorry I needed to vent I guess. Any advice? Worth replacing the clutch or anything else?

Carnage pic for kicks:

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 17, 2020

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
That's... a ton of poo poo to randomly replace to find a squeak.

They're replacing the entire engine and turbo? I say run with it. You lucked in to a brand engine with all the 50k stuff still under warranty. Just make sure the engine warranty extends past the current time/mileage service window and enjoy your new car.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

bigman.50grand posted:

That's... a ton of poo poo to randomly replace to find a squeak.

They're replacing the entire engine and turbo? I say run with it. You lucked in to a brand engine with all the 50k stuff still under warranty. Just make sure the engine warranty extends past the current time/mileage service window and enjoy your new car.

Yeah, just drive the thing, that's the answer I'm thinking. Some web searching found that VW engines might be more likely to fail than most (1 in 52, source: https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/most-reliable-engines/), but I figure do the maintenance and send in an oil sample when the oil is changed next.

As far as the parts go, I was surprised they even took on the job at all. Based on my warranty paperwork, it sounded like they didn't fix "noises", but that was all the more I pointed out to them, and they've gone and done all this.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Don’t mod your engine because this exact thing happened to my buddy and because he had dome some modding they didn’t have to honor the warranty. He was hosed.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

dialhforhero posted:

Don’t mod your engine because this exact thing happened to my buddy and because he had dome some modding they didn’t have to honor the warranty. He was hosed.

Hehe, I decided to pass on the ECU tune one of my co-workers encouraged me to do. A 70hp boost might be nice, but like hell if I'm doing that to my one and only that I haven't even made one payment on.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 19, 2020

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I did a Neuspeed Power Module for this reason in that it's easy to remove and doesn't stress things out as much as a tune potentially would (I hope??) APR is also doing a tune with its own limited power train warranty that I was sort of thinking about as well.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I keep debating on APR+, I'm just not sure how good their warranty is. The good news is the dealer I bought the car from does the APR+ tune and also does the work, but it still needs to be approved by APR and they haven't had anyone try yet (which I guess is also good news).

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Interesting. It was the APR my co-worker showed me, but I’ll let this blow over before I do anything too wild with the car. I’m in the rust belt, so maybe it’s not worth trying to preserve it forever anyway.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
JUST make sure you get the APR/Neuspeed flash rolled back to OEM before you go back to the dealer, or they'll get suspicious and will take any chance to not have to honor warranty

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

From my understanding even if you roll it back they can sometimes still tell and flag the car TD1. That's why you do a power module which doesn't flash the ECU or the APR+ which covers the power train where Audi/VW would deny claims.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I think APR+ is better than a backpack, I don't trust backpacks for a wide variety of reasons which are probably entirely psychological. Flash is a lot easier than backpack install.

The dealer doesn't really give a gently caress, they'd just as soon have the warranty honored if they can get away with it. It's VWGoA that cares. Just develop a good relationship with your service manager.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I had to have the engine on my 07 GTI replaced when it had about 85,000 miles on it. Luckily it was determined to be a manufacturing defect and VW paid for it even though it was out of warranty. Car now has 185,000 miles on it and I haven't had any problems since then.

It took the dealer about a month to do the work I think a lot of that time was waiting on the new engine to arrive from Germany. My dealer was really cool and gave me a loaner while they fixed it. I got to stop in when they got the new engine in and chatted with the tech a bit he was stoked to be doing the work. It was much more exciting than the run of the mill maintenance he usually got to do there.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

flightless greeb posted:

From my understanding even if you roll it back they can sometimes still tell and flag the car TD1. That's why you do a power module which doesn't flash the ECU or the APR+ which covers the power train where Audi/VW would deny claims.

Yes, they can. But often if the flash looks OEM they'll ignore it. There's a flag that gets set after an aftermarket flash that you cannot reset.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Yes, they can. But often if the flash looks OEM they'll ignore it. There's a flag that gets set after an aftermarket flash that you cannot reset.

My understanding is that flag is the dreaded TD1. They can also see the number of times the ECU has been flashed.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

My understanding is that flag is the dreaded TD1. They can also see the number of times the ECU has been flashed.

Yup, our local dealer doesn't care as long as the flash is OEM at the time of warranty work, but other dealers are not so forgiving.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
The main issue as I understand it is that when they scan the car for warranty work and VW reviews it, they will flag it as TD1 whether the dealer cares or not and deny the power train part of the warranty. It's funny because my dealer is an APR dealer as well, so they don't care, but they have to do what VW says. In fact, for an APR+ warranty, they go through the normal warranty process and if and when VW denies it, they go to APR for the warranty authorization. I just wish I knew more about how APR handles their warranty.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Does VW require a scan on warranty? If you're getting a longblock yeah I think that has preauth requirements but usually the dealer has an approval limit.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Does VW require a scan on warranty? If you're getting a longblock yeah I think that has preauth requirements but usually the dealer has an approval limit.
I mainly mean for things that would be affected by a tune, so engine, turbo, transmission issues. The rest would still be covered.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Thumposaurus posted:

I had to have the engine on my 07 GTI replaced when it had about 85,000 miles on it. Luckily it was determined to be a manufacturing defect and VW paid for it even though it was out of warranty. Car now has 185,000 miles on it and I haven't had any problems since then.

It took the dealer about a month to do the work I think a lot of that time was waiting on the new engine to arrive from Germany. My dealer was really cool and gave me a loaner while they fixed it. I got to stop in when they got the new engine in and chatted with the tech a bit he was stoked to be doing the work. It was much more exciting than the run of the mill maintenance he usually got to do there.

Yup, they’ve been pretty great honestly. Rocking a loaner Tiguan, which isn’t half bad. Probably going to spring for the clutch overhaul too, as they’ll do it for the cost of the kit. Not cheap, but hopefully I never have to worry about it again. Definitely hoping for a success story like yours.

Still curious about a tune, but it’s leagues ahead of anything else I’ve had as it is. That turbo I tell ya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah, they hook your car up to the scanner anytime it’s in the dealer for service now.