Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Elissimpark posted:

Yeah, I was thinking of combo organs. I bought myself an Arturia Minilab to dick about on recently and I've been obsessed by the Vox Continental simulation in Analog lab - it has some pretty crunchy noises. I'm thinking that the issue with keyboards and metal is you can't quite get the rhythms a guitar is capable of - you can't really chug.

Artic Brother on that album is kinda getting close to what I'm after.

I'm surprised no one has assaulted your ears with this infamous album in regards to keyboards. Though it's probably due to it being more hard psych than stoner, maybe proto metal if you're feeling super generous. I can't decide if I like it or hate it personally, but there is no guitar on it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

quote:

Before going solo, Billy Joel was one half of a Psychedelic / Heavy Metal band called Attila. They released their one and only album in 1970. It is considered by many critics to be the worst rock album ever made.

quote:

End of the sixties, I was in a two-man group. We were heavy metal, we were going to destroy the world with amplification

They didn't.

quote:

Joel himself has gone on record as describing the album as "psychedelic bullshit"

Billy Joel disapproved ditch-weed boogie rock; I'm sold lol

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 15, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
The man who could not destroy the world with amplification smdh

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
new in the company of serpents. it's good

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Elissimpark posted:

Would anyone know any stoner or doom bands that are keyboard or organ based?

I know there's a whole bunch of psychedelic bands, but I'm thinking more of a Sabbath or Sleep sound.

Or is it impossible to play doom on an organ without sounding like Iron Butterfly?

Not organ/keys based but REZN have a fair bit of synth at the front end of a lot of their songs. they have two albums, the first one a sort of cosmic/space vibe to the synth, and the second album is more a underwater/deep sea vibe.

also check Ruby The Hatchet for some Hammond organ backed 70s rock with an absolutely incredible female vocalist.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 16, 2020

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Doom-adjacent at most, but this is a great album

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kyMowKsgPCp_lnCpQ_PScOQy1ZyEdaRLw

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

What's the deal with bongrippers "terminal on Spotify being like 10 tracks instead of the two tracks it is everywhere else?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Laserface posted:

What's the deal with bongrippers "terminal on Spotify being like 10 tracks instead of the two tracks it is everywhere else?

Stream numbers baby

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Brann Dailor (Mastodon) had a side project that was /[super]/ synth heavy. But it veered toward prog rock and not really stoner metal.

Arcadea

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gzjxkiJiyfQ

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Laserface posted:

I prefer this tbh, I know I know hour long tracks are "experiences" but sometimes I just wanna throw a few Dopesmoker or Bell Witch riffs into a shuffle playlist without having to listen to the whole drat thing

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Elissimpark posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1S7IJcC30

Interestingly, the Tocatta and Fugue that the kid is playing there (that's only the Tocatta bit) is pretty much 4 minutes of shredding, followed by 5 minutes exploring a riff - arguably the 17th century equivalent of stoner metal.
I have BWV 565 on vinyl somewhere with a bunch of other Bach organ works, it's definitely an important early development in SDS.

Laserface posted:

IDK but now I'm listening to the entirety of the two track version again. lol that people get upset about how hosed up Bongripper do or don't get when they keep putting out records like this.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The dumbest online argument I've ever gotten in was with someone who thought Bongripper took themselves too seriously so this has been amusing for me. RIP to the IMDb forums.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Band with a song titled Reefer Sutherland that make change at their merch table with stickers takes themselves "too seriously"

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
Bongripper are stealing valor. Which is always cool.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

lots of famously straightedge people edge up being druggies so we need to make room for people going the other direction

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
terminal is 10 tracks because a 2 track album on spotify gets marked as an EP. i think.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ingmar terdman posted:

Band with a song titled Reefer Sutherland that make change at their merch table with stickers takes themselves "too seriously"

This person also thought the word “groove” meant a gradual increase in tempo and that Meshuggah invented downtuning. It has haunted me for years.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

That makes me curious about the first guitarists/ bands to use downtuning. Sabbath maybe? Or old blues players?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Iommi downtuning because of his hosed up finger is like the first lesson of metal 101, that guy dumb lol

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Henchman of Santa posted:

This person also thought the word “groove” meant a gradual increase in tempo and that Meshuggah invented downtuning. It has haunted me for years.

Who is this we’re talking about?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

my bony fealty posted:

Iommi downtuning because of his hosed up finger is like the first lesson of metal 101, that guy dumb lol

Yeah but I did a little bit of digging and drop tuning had been in use by classical and blues for quite some time.

tho Iommi tuned to Eb standard, not a drop tuning. He mightve been the first I can find to do that.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Snowy posted:

Who is this we’re talking about?

idk some loving kid on an imdb music forum nearly a decade ago who has imprinted this dumb conversation on my broken brain.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

s/t and paranoid are standard and MoR is three half steps down. Not sure if they started tuning down live leading up to recording that one though. The timing of losing the fingertip and tuning down seem to have been somewhat conflated over time

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i stand corrected i couldve sworn i heard MoR was in Eb

I also did a bunch of research once and Sweet Leaf is in fact the earliest bong rip sample I could find (tho was that bong rip sample in the original record or added later?)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ingmar terdman posted:

s/t and paranoid are standard and MoR is three half steps down. Not sure if they started tuning down live leading up to recording that one though. The timing of losing the fingertip and tuning down seem to have been somewhat conflated over time

The point being made as I recall was that Bongripper were in fact ripping off Meshuggah for tuning down to F

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

tho Iommi tuned to Eb standard, not a drop tuning. He mightve been the first I can find to do that.
Jimi was tuning down years before he did.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

A human heart posted:

Some of Paul Chain's later work reduced the emphasis on guitars and focused a lot more on keyboards, although I'm not really a huge fan of that stuff when the traditional doom material is so good. Like, compare this to this

He's still making music, although he declared Paul Chain's artistic death years ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1FI5Bs2h9s

(I named my kitty Lola after his wife, since she's a frequent co-writer)

im_sorry fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 17, 2020

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time

Elissimpark posted:

Would anyone know any stoner or doom bands that are keyboard or organ based?

I know there's a whole bunch of psychedelic bands, but I'm thinking more of a Sabbath or Sleep sound.

Or is it impossible to play doom on an organ without sounding like Iron Butterfly?

Skepticism?

Pre-Cambrian Syndrome
Jan 6, 2006

Turbinosamente posted:

I'm surprised no one has assaulted your ears with this infamous album in regards to keyboards. Though it's probably due to it being more hard psych than stoner, maybe proto metal if you're feeling super generous. I can't decide if I like it or hate it personally, but there is no guitar on it!

That album quickly became my favourite thing in the whole world. Hopefully the shimmer doesn't wear off before the German discogs seller delivers an overpriced and barely playable copy.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Elrobot posted:

Skepticism?

Looked them up in youtube, saw the tails and wondered where that'd be going.

Interesting, but funeral doom is a bit bit ponderous (and growly) for my tastes.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Anyone got good youtube concert/documentary suggestions? been watching a few to get my gig fix and it doesnt really hit the spot but some come pretty close.

Thoroughly enjoyed the King Gizzard 'Chunky Shrapnel' film, and found this one the other night and there is some killer performances from early 2000's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSurEUOnqVA

That first song by Unida (black woman) is so intense. Really goes to show too that Josh Homme (who appears in the above doco in QOTSA) was not the mastermind of Kyuss.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

King Buffalo dropped what is probably their final Quarantine session.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep05jKi_Qkg

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Snowy posted:

Speaking of inter arma covers, the vinyl is pretty and there’s copies left

https://interarma.bandcamp.com/album/garbers-days-revisited

Looking forward to hearing their version of Hard Times
The two tracks I'm most curious about are March of the Pigs and Purple Rain, which is a WILD spectrum of songs in the first place.

They've been one of my faves since Sky Burial & The Cavern, and as some have said they're amazing live, especially just watching TJ and his endless stamina. If you haven't seen it, here's TJ effortlessly aping John Bonham when he was 7 years old. Dude was born to drum.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Laserface posted:

Anyone got good youtube concert/documentary suggestions? been watching a few to get my gig fix and it doesnt really hit the spot but some come pretty close.

Thoroughly enjoyed the King Gizzard 'Chunky Shrapnel' film, and found this one the other night and there is some killer performances from early 2000's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSurEUOnqVA

That first song by Unida (black woman) is so intense. Really goes to show too that Josh Homme (who appears in the above doco in QOTSA) was not the mastermind of Kyuss.

The 1994 Obsessed documentary is a must see if you haven't already: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJwl_5vFQi0

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Siivola posted:

Jimi was tuning down years before he did.

You're right, I think that's who I was thinking of actually, for some reason I thought it was Iommi

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.

The point being made as I recall was that Bongripper were in fact ripping off Meshuggah for tuning down to F

Do bongripper play 6 or 8 string though, curious.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Pre-Cambrian Syndrome posted:

That album quickly became my favourite thing in the whole world. Hopefully the shimmer doesn't wear off before the German discogs seller delivers an overpriced and barely playable copy.

Yeah, after some debate I decided to get one of the 1985 reissues that's supposedly mint off of discogs, because a large part of what sells it to me is that ridiculously awesome cover art, and it's much cheaper than a 1970 original. So much for the cassette tape I had impulse bid on, oops. Perhaps I'll darken a friends door with it or something.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Less Claypool posted:

Do bongripper play 6 or 8 string though, curious.

Extended range guitars are cheating in s/d/s. Tune that E way the gently caress down or quit.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.

Extended range guitars are cheating in s/d/s. Tune that E way the gently caress down or quit.

Get those heavy gauges son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

What's the lowest tuning possible?