Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

UncleGuito posted:

Got my Duet earlier today after a delay with my BB preorder. Initial impressions are fantastic- can't believe this thing is < $300! The build quality is fantastic and performance is better than expected.

But I mostly wanted to cover how Stadia plays, as well as Linux performance for those devs out there:

-Stadia: runs as well as it does on my gaming desktop and TV- no noticeable difference! The screen is colorful and crisp. The browser interface loads quick and controller pairing ran into no issues.
- Here's a pic of the device running Destiny 2: https://i.imgur.com/ktvCm55.jpg
- Here's a video: https://imgur.com/zzg9VB3
- Highly recommend this as a portable Stadia device if you can find one!

Linux: installed quickly and haven't run into any issues with terminal so far. I got this mainly to use as a portable python dev station while traveling and it seems like it'll fill that void. The keyboard will probably take a little to get used to (as others have said, the symbol keys are smaller so easier to miss) and the trackpad seems a bit thin, but overall, performance seems the same as other Chromebooks I've used.

tldr; I'm very impressed with this device. Seems like a steal and no-brainer at its current pricepoint.

If you get a chance to check out OnShape, a browser based CAD system I'm so drat interested in how that works.

Really, 3D performance in general. I'd love if some of my cohorts I volunteer with could do 3D modeling on a Chromebook. It's a passion project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

No Chromebook/Chrome OS devices whatsoever support HD Netflix in the Android app. The Pixel Slate does allow 1080p Netflix in the web browser though, so presumably the Lenovo Duet does too.

Google really really really needs to fix this. This is one of the big reasons why android tablets are still necessary and why ChromeOS can't fully replace them.

This is also a reason why the Galaxy Chromebook is such a waste. No HD support in Android apps let ALONE HDR support which is what you would ideally want to see with an oled screen.

This is also one of the reasons why my XPS 13 2:1 has largely replaced my pixelbook, I can get Dolby Vision with my notebook on Netflix.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 19, 2020

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Android functionality on Chromebook is really bad—my advice to people who are reading this thread and who are considering buying a Chromebook is to not count on the Android functionality to work very well. Many Android apps, even those by reputable companies, don’t work very well on Chromebooks.

bull3964 posted:

Google really really really needs to fix this. This is one of the big reasons why android tablets are still necessary and why ChromeOS can't fully replace them.

This is also a reason why the Galaxy Chromebook is such a waste. No HD support in Android apps let ALONE HDR support which is what you would ideally want to see with an oled screen.

This is also one of the reasons why my XPS 13 2:1 has largely replaced my pixelbook, I can get Dolby Vision with my notebook on Netflix.

Lol, I remember complaining about how Amazon Prime Video’s Android app sucked on Chromebook earlier in this thread and how it was indicative of how the Android functionality on Chromebook was poorly implemented and supported.

In a reply to my earlier post, you told me that I was unfairly blaming Chromebook when it was the app’s fault. I guess after using a Chromebook yourself you now agree with me.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

all of the netflix BS is because of DRM i assume right?

who exactly do they think theyre stopping from stealing content

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

silence_kit posted:

Lol, I remember complaining about how Amazon Prime Video’s Android app sucked on Chromebook earlier in this thread and how it was indicative of how the Android functionality on Chromebook was poorly implemented and supported.

In a reply to my earlier post, you told me that I was unfairly blaming Chromebook when it was the app’s fault. I guess after using a Chromebook yourself you now agree with me.

That's not a fair characterization of the issue though.

Your issue is that you couldn't get smooth playback of video, period, from the Amazon app and using it to paint the picture that video didn't work properly on the Android subsystem at all while I was pointing out that Netflix worked perfectly fine (still does!) so it was certainly possible for it to work properly, making it an app issue that local playback wasn't working properly.

Basic functionality is completely different from polished advanced features. Hell, two years ago when that post was made most Android phones themselves didn't support full HD playback in Netflix.

I've been using Android functionality since it was a beta channel feature, there's no new realization here. It's also not inconsistent to be perfectly happy with a launch feature but then be disappointed that things haven't advanced since then.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
How is e-book reading in portrait? Kindle or Play Books. Is it too big or does it weigh too much?

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad

waffle iron posted:

How is e-book reading in portrait? Kindle or Play Books. Is it too big or does it weigh too much?

Seems good! I don't like using it in landscape as a tablet because of the aspect ratio (I read in landscape on my iPad fwiw) but it reads well in Portrait. Scrolling is smooth and fonts are crisp in Kindle.

NewFatMike posted:

If you get a chance to check out OnShape, a browser based CAD system I'm so drat interested in how that works.

Really, 3D performance in general. I'd love if some of my cohorts I volunteer with could do 3D modeling on a Chromebook. It's a passion project.
Never heard of this but will try it out tomorrow.

UncleGuito fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 20, 2020

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

On my Pixelbook I'm having trouble with the taskbar, which I can't get to show up after signing in. Anyone else have this issue? I'm on the beta channel and I tried powerwashing already, which didn't fix it.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Insanely good info

Thanks again for this, I pulled the trigger on the Slate today to treat myself a little. With Krita coming out for Android/ChromeOS and actively resenting both my mobile workstation and R11, I thought it was time.

Really psyched to see how it goes and play around with Crostini.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The slate and keyboard arrived today! The only thing I'm missing from the bundle is the stylus.

So far, it has been very good. The speakers can get a little peaky, but I remember my iPad Pro being peaky at first and then breaking in over the course of the week, I'll send a trip report for later on.

My 3D modeling software is working great. It's by Dassault Systemes who make SOLIDWORKS, this one just lives in the browser. Seems to be holding up alright while messing with it trying to make it break.

Krita getting released for Android was a surprise and I am REALLY enjoying how it's going. It worked a lot better than the version I downloaded right off the terminal, so that has me really excited for when the stylus comes in. Hopefully it'll have pressure sensitivity and all those other fun things.

I picked up Inkscape (sadly not the 1.0 version since I didn't get Crostini to upgrade to Debian Buster). That is also going very well!

Getting Steam Link to run has been a pretty bad experience so far, but it sounds like it's better suited to ARM devices. Never really got past the launch screen for any games.

All in, though, it's been very good. I'm still rather curious about the Duet, but honestly this is pretty rad. I might snag a Brydge Type G next time they're on sale - it was a godsend for my iPad Pro when I had it. My Logitech MX Master paired up great, and it's bananas seeing things like "8 hours remaining" for battery life after hauling around engineering boat anchors the last few years.

If anyone knows how to get Crostini to upgrade to Buster, that would be nice just to have the latest and greatest on that front. I'm really 'gized to keep playing with this and make some neat things!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Any recommendation for a low cost ideally 12 or 13 inch Chromebook that works well with Linux? I just killed my venerable laptop with water. :smith: It served me well.

I could go down to 11 inch if necessary. Don't wanna spend too much. Duet is interesting but a bit small and I'd like a real hinge.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

MikeJF posted:

Any recommendation for a low cost ideally 12 or 13 inch Chromebook that works well with Linux? I just killed my venerable laptop with water. :smith: It served me well.

I could go down to 11 inch if necessary. Don't wanna spend too much. Duet is interesting but a bit small and I'd like a real hinge.

All Chromebooks are great for Linux as long as they have decent enough specs. The Lenovo Chromebook C340 would be perfect for your needs if you're looking for a cheap small 11.6" thing.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

1366x768 is a bit lower than I'd like, but for a cheap chromebook I guess that's a tradeoff you pretty much have to make (and the problem of windows programs that expect minimum vres of 800 isn't an issue). I'll take a look at it.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I'm in the market for a Chromebook. My gaming desktop is in the living room for the foreseeable future and I need a Chromebook to do basic productivity web browsing and play some steam link games on every now and then.

Budget is about 450 and under. I will be plugging some external hard drives in it every now and then. Would prefer a not garbage screen because of the steam link and Netflix streaming. Battery life not a massive concern because I'll be probably plugged in a large part of the time. An HDMI or Display port out would be nice but not necessary I can get an adapter. I can't have an arm chip for steam link reasons atleast I don't think I can. Anyone have a good idea, also don't mind refurbs but would prefer not used hardware.

Ended up getting this https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-15-6-chromebook-intel-celeron-4gb-memory-128gb-emmc-flash-memory-platinum-titan/6398412.p?skuId=6398412

LionYeti fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jun 9, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Huh, actually, I mentioned that my old laptop died to prompt this: I wonder if there's a small cheap chromebook I can transplant the 256 2.5 SSD into. Maybe even a ram stick. Or do all the current chromebooks use eMMC.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

haven't seen a chromebook yet that didnt have soldered on emmc

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Replaceable storage happened years ago (first year of two of Chromebooks) but the tech industry decided that was a nice trend that had to stop ...

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
Some of the higher end models (Asus C436) have NVMe but I'm not sure if it's a user replaceable part, can't find a teardown.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Huh, actually, I mentioned that my old laptop died to prompt this: I wonder if there's a small cheap chromebook I can transplant the 256 2.5 SSD into. Maybe even a ram stick. Or do all the current chromebooks use eMMC.

I have an OG i5 pixel chromebook sitting on a shelf I can list on SA mart for bargain price if you want

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nah, I decided in the end to splurge in the EoFY sales and go full replacement laptop instead. Thanks, but.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
Ordered a Lenovo Chromebook Duet 128 GB today from Best Buy. Looking forward to having a tablet for books and YouTube. Also the 64 GB model is available at Walmart for in person sales and most store should have a demo station (look in the tablet area).

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
ChromeOS is getting Parallels

https://www.parallels.com/chrome/

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wonder what performance will be like. And if they'll let you set things up into seamless windows operation and pretend your chromebook is a windows computer permanently with relative ease. The windows netbook market has been nonexistent the past decade or so.

Probably not.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

MikeJF posted:

I wonder what performance will be like. And if they'll let you set things up into seamless windows operation and pretend your chromebook is a windows computer permanently with relative ease. The windows netbook market has been nonexistent the past decade or so.

Probably not.

Doesn't Parallel's just run a Windows VM? I don't have much experience with it.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Could anyone with a Lenovo Chromebook Duet attempt streaming Slay the Spire (or a similarly undemanding game) through Steam Link (or another freely accessible streaming solution I'm unaware of)? That's pretty much the one thing I'm hung up on, whether or not the Mediatek is too underpowered to do this, in which case I might just wait until a new base iPad is released.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Chromebook Spin 713 on sale for $529

This is nuts. Everyone was already gushing over it at $629.

Edit: finally replacing my Pixel 2013 :toot:

Dr. Eldarion fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jul 23, 2020

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Sale is dead now, unfortunately.

Got mine already today! It's gorgeous. The screen is beautiful, and makes my old Pixel (which already had a great screen) look bad. Keyboard is good, trackpad is good. Speakers are okay if on a hard surface, underwhelming directly on a lap, and not great on a blanket.

Overall I'm really happy for the price.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I got a Monoprice USB-C hub for my Pixel Slate, and it wasn't work unless it's plugged into mains power, but even then it's supposed to pass power to the Slate, but doesn't.

Is there a compatibility thing anyone knows about or is this just a dud?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

It's probably compatibility. I've got power passthrough on a Dell D6000 and this Juiced

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Thanks! That's a bummer. I truly hate returning things by mail.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I have been tasked with getting a laptop for my daughter entering the 7th grade. It's looking like we're doing a web based homeschool program because of Covid (with some close acquaintances who live nearby and also have kids so they're not completely isolated, but anyway).

We're all Android here, I haven't had a Windows machine in forever. Should I get a Chromebook? If so, tell me what to get. Obviously cheaper is better but definitely under $500 which looks reasonable.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Anyone else with a Pixelbook having an issue with google results being too wide? There's just extra padding that makes the page scrollable left and right (which also pushes my account link in the upper left off the screen).

I've reset everything, Power Washed. Removed extensions. Even tried incognito mode It still is the same. No issue at all on my normal computers or my Chromebook Duet.

It really feels like they hosed something up relating to 3:2 displays.

I can't seem to find anyone else having the same issue and I'm stumped at what's going on.

The only way I can avoid it is by going to 90% screen size and maximizing the browser window which isn't a terrible solution, just odd.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 26, 2020

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

angryrobots posted:

I have been tasked with getting a laptop for my daughter entering the 7th grade. It's looking like we're doing a web based homeschool program because of Covid (with some close acquaintances who live nearby and also have kids so they're not completely isolated, but anyway).

We're all Android here, I haven't had a Windows machine in forever. Should I get a Chromebook? If so, tell me what to get. Obviously cheaper is better but definitely under $500 which looks reasonable.

Are there any specific software or hardware requirements posted by the homeschool programs? You'll definitely get a much higher quality device for your money going with ChromeOS over Windows, but it doesn't mean much if you can't use anything :v:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If it is web based and everything is done through a website, a chromebook should be just fine. Chromebooks can do nearly anything with a website that a windows based computer can. But definitely look into the program or ask them if you will need any software that only runs on a specific OS. Like if they have some sort of testing software you have to run to make sure your computer isn't doing anything to help your kids cheat or something.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I've found the best options with this kind of thing is to switch to a beta branch of Chrome OS or just wait for an update.

I had a mouse cursor stuck on my Slate for 2 updates, and other annoying things that go away as Google fiddles with poo poo.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

NewFatMike posted:

Are there any specific software or hardware requirements posted by the homeschool programs? You'll definitely get a much higher quality device for your money going with ChromeOS over Windows, but it doesn't mean much if you can't use anything :v:

No hardware retirements listed so I assume anything modern will work fine. Says everything is browser based, using flash player. So should be fine? It's not a great hardship if it doesn't work, I'll just use it myself and get her something else.

So anyway what's my best option here, that's actually in stock to purchase somewhere?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

angryrobots posted:

Says everything is browser based, using flash player.

That's problematic, but not just for Chrome (but especially chrome)

Adobe is stopping the distribution of flash in December and Google has it on their roadmap to remove flash from Chromium in Jan 2021.

Of course, all browsers are dropping support of flash at the end of this year, so this isn't really something that can be worked around easily.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I would get a lenovo/dell/hp branded dock, it is more likely to be standards compliant as it has to function in a business environment and they're actually responsible for support/returns etc. It's cheaper to make it the Right Way the First Time. This one is $50

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Laptop-Charging-Reader-GX90T77924/dp/B07TZ3PQDN/

This one is $135 but includes a 65w power adapter built in (for max compatibility)

https://www.amazon.com/USB-C-Mini-Dock-Adapter-40AU0065US/

This is closest to what I have, and you can use a 6' cable to hide the dongle in a drawer in your desk, rather than have a 6" lovely dongle and all your cables flapping about on your desk making a disaster of everything $165

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkPad-USB-C-40AS0090-Warranty/

$165 seems like a lot of money for a usb dock, but given that it's going to be compatible with USB4 coming out this fall, gives you 3-4 years, minimum, compatibility down the road with your next laptop(s). So far I have 2 years on mine and am not in any hurry to replace it.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

bull3964 posted:

That's problematic, but not just for Chrome (but especially chrome)

Adobe is stopping the distribution of flash in December and Google has it on their roadmap to remove flash from Chromium in Jan 2021.

Of course, all browsers are dropping support of flash at the end of this year, so this isn't really something that can be worked around easily.

Ok, looks like their FAQ is outdated, their web developer has already moved their curriculum to HTML5 and they say outright that they support Chromebooks. It just says all this on their FB page so I had to get my wife to find it. :v:

SO. Best available Chromebook in the <$500 range, and cheaper is better cause it's for a child?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

angryrobots posted:

Ok, looks like their FAQ is outdated, their web developer has already moved their curriculum to HTML5 and they say outright that they support Chromebooks. It just says all this on their FB page so I had to get my wife to find it. :v:

SO. Best available Chromebook in the <$500 range, and cheaper is better cause it's for a child?

The Lenovo Flex 5 Chromebook has gotten really good reviews across the board.