Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

At least the final season of GoT gave us some good memes.

Did it? I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Dany kind of forgot about the iron fleet is one at least.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Drogon destroying the throne because he is Woke to the evils of feudalism was a fun one.

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

chaosapiant posted:

I’ve never truly understood all the hate against GRRM. I guess it’s fun/cool/In-style? Dude wrote some great books that people loved and got super bogged down into the details of his own story. He dug a hole in his own fiction and hasn’t been able to climb out yet. I don’t pity him but I also don’t wish him ill will, make fun of him, or laugh at him. He’s just a dude who was doing what he loved it and it got too big and got away from him.

Go read the bad thread starting when book 3 came out. You can see how the anger evolved. Waiting 5 years or whatever for the 4th book, and then realizing that it was literally half finished was pretty hard to swallow. It was like 10 years between Tyrion/John chapters or something. And then the constant shilling of water-logged calendars, missed deadlines, wildcards books getting published every year... Lot's of people have been waiting 20 years to find out how this story ends. That's just a long time.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Sanderson is a great hire to really flesh out the blood magic system.

pseudanonymous posted:

He never even finished volume 2 of "Ways and means of Blight agriculture in the modern era" it hardly seems like he's qualified to do the kind of exhaustive worldbuilding that is required to support 700 feet of ice.

kek. I think his head would explode trying to hammer the magic events of the books into a cohesive system. I thought GRRM had something larger to say about the gods and magic, but it never materialized.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I think people get so heated over GRRM because not only has it been such a long wait, and the wait being so long between Storm and Feast, and Feast being half a book ... is that he's very openly spending his time doing a bunch of other poo poo and posting about it online all the time. So it's really easy to read him as giving zero fucks about something he's left unfinished, that a lot of people are really invested in.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Drogon destroying the throne because he is Woke to the evils of feudalism was a fun one.

Also Drogon destroying the throne because his mom was killed by blades and it is made out of blades.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It helps that there's always a fresh batch of Neil Gaimans or otherwise sympathetic fans who don't get it, willing to dig their heels in as contrarians in a half-hearted attempt to troll or otherwise posture in middlebrow superiority.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
The only hope I have left for this series is that those alleged "fake endings" they supposedly filmed are in fact real and I hope someone leaks them to the internet one day like that alternate ending to Quantum Leap that was discovered a few years back. For literally no other reason than I'm curious to see if any of them are any better than the actual ending that everyone involved with the show went "Yes, this is the one we're going with" on.

I want to see if they can clear the already hilariously low bar.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

After the reaction they got I'm surprised they didnt go "oh uh whoops we aired the wrong ending heres the real one solongsuckers" *tire screech noises*

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The only 'fake endings' filmed are the coronation scene

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

I’ve never truly understood all the hate against GRRM.

Absolute Fucker. 'Nuff said.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

nine-gear crow posted:

that alternate ending to Quantum Leap that was discovered a few years back.

Oh? Like a whole different episode or just "Sam leaps home"?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

esperterra posted:

I think people get so heated over GRRM because not only has it been such a long wait, and the wait being so long between Storm and Feast, and Feast being half a book ... is that he's very openly spending his time doing a bunch of other poo poo and posting about it online all the time. So it's really easy to read him as giving zero fucks about something he's left unfinished, that a lot of people are really invested in.

The decision to split Feast plus the note at the end of the book saying IIRC "hey don't worry you'll get the next half in a year or so!" and then that persistently not happening was really the jumping off point I think.

It took straight up 11 years between the end of Storm and the next Jon, Tyrion, Dany chapters which is loving insane, and we are quickly approaching another 11 years with no next chapter in sight. For me it's really in how the time between books started exponentially ballooning out of control. We went from 2 years between the first three books to 5 to 6 to ??? so even if you're just following the pattern you expect that to keep getting bigger, and GRRM is doing literally nothing to assuage any of those concerns.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Guy A. Person posted:

exponentially ballooning out of control

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

And he keeps saying he's working on it! If he just said "look, fellas, you know I'd love to finish it, I'd just prefer to finish this next cake. I'll update you when I finish a chapter, which will be never," people would be more sympathetic. It's the blatant, repeated lies that are annoying.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
But have you guys considered that George R.R. Martin Is Not Your Bitch?

E: lol that comment is over 11 years old

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Martian posted:

But have you guys considered that George R.R. Martin Is Not Your Bitch?

jesus christ

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Could be worse, the Outlander series began in 1991 and still isn’t finished.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Could be worse, the Outlander series began in 1991 and still isn’t finished.

Are new books still coming out?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

VanSandman posted:

Are new books still coming out?

Yes. Looking at Wikipedia it looks like the release schedule is a lot like ASoIAF where the first few came out real quick and then the next ones have taken increasingly longer times to come out.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’ve said it before but if he wasn’t such an rear end in a top hat he would just have someone else finish it for him. I mean, that’s what’s gonna happen anyways cause he doesn’t have much longer to live, just look at em.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

esperterra posted:

Personally I feel it was the feast “split” that broke a lot of readers. There was a long wait leading up to what was to be the complete fourth book, gurm claiming it was then to be split in two because he wrote too much to fit into one book, and then turns out the second half essentially did not exist, causing a long wait yet again.

e:f,b

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 20, 2020

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Martian posted:

It better watch out for itself around GRRM.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Oh? Like a whole different episode or just "Sam leaps home"?

It was a scene meant to be tacked on to the end of the episode as both an epilogue and open door to possibly continue the series. Al decides he’s going to leap after Sam and bring him home so the final scene is him saying goodbye to his wife and her going “Bring him home, Al.” With the implication that eventually Sam Becket did indeed return home, contrary to what the infamous final title card for Quantum Leap claims.

After years of it being rumoured to exist, two years ago Allison Pregler (aka Obscurus Lupa) found photo negatives of the scene for sale on eBay and bought them and was able to get them authenticated. Her discovery prompted someone else to come forward with actual (but heavily degraded) footage of the scene that lines up with the script for said scene that had been floating around online for years fuelling rumours of the alternate ending.

It was a hell of a find for TV history, all told.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 20, 2020

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

TERFherder posted:

kek. I think his head would explode trying to hammer the magic events of the books into a cohesive system. I thought GRRM had something larger to say about the gods and magic, but it never materialized.

There's some GoT theory crafter guy on Tumblr whose name I can't remember because they haven't posted in forever (I think the bad tv ending might have given them a stroke). They had some pretty coherent and plausible theorizing on the magical workings in the books and how there seemed to be a impending "oh poo poo" moment with Euron doing some Eldritch stuff as well as the other forces in motion with the dragons, Others, Faceless Men, etc. But even if GRRM did have some larger conflict brewing regarding the various magical factions I think he's lost the thread and we'll never see it anyway.

Evil Fluffy posted:

The Others turn living things in to their undead thralls and they are only weak to things like silver obsidian. They're literally Ice Vampires. They even have the generic "thralls are destroyed if their sire dies, all vampires are destroyed when the original vampire dies" vampire trait. At this point GRRM will likely not finish the books if for no other reason than he's seen how stupid anything he told D&D turned out to be.

Do the Others do that "kill the leader and the rest all die" thing in the books? I honestly cannot remember.

Invalid Validation posted:

I’ve said it before but if he wasn’t such an rear end in a top hat he would just have someone else finish it for him. I mean, that’s what’s gonna happen anyways cause he doesn’t have much longer to live, just look at em.

At this point I don't think anyone would care at all if the last however many books were ghostwritten, as long as the quality and tone wasn't too off. There are enough writers now who are either hugely inspired by GRRM, or outright got their start doing GoT fanfic, that you could easily find someone to do it and do it well.

I imagine the only thing stopping his publisher from doing so is fear of alienating GRRM himself.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Goddamn.

I prefer the ending we got, I think. The idea that Sam finally gains conscious control over the leaps and just decides that leaping forever is the best use of his life, that's a satisfying ending rather than "now there's a third person flapping about in time."

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Mat Cauthon posted:

Do the Others do that "kill the leader and the rest all die" thing in the books? I honestly cannot remember.

No load bearing boss in the books. Or anything else except that they melt if you stick them with dragon glass.

Mat Cauthon posted:

At this point I don't think anyone would care at all if the last however many books were ghostwritten, as long as the quality and tone wasn't too off. There are enough writers now who are either hugely inspired by GRRM, or outright got their start doing GoT fanfic, that you could easily find someone to do it and do it well.

Weird name post combo.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

genericnick posted:

Weird name post combo.

I'm not a huge fan of Sanderson finishing WoT - I read the first one he did and wasn't impressed. My personal feelings aside, he seems to have done a passably good job but the seams are pretty apparent and his way of conceptualizing certain themes or aspects of the story (like magic or politics) is very distinct from Jordan's in various ways.

That being said, I imagine working off a dead guy's notes is much tougher than having them available to answer questions and check your work while you fill in the gaps in their outline/manuscript. There's also a lot more money riding on GRRM redeeming his books, ghostwriter or not, than WoT ever stood to make.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Mat Cauthon posted:

There's some GoT theory crafter guy on Tumblr whose name I can't remember because they haven't posted in forever (I think the bad tv ending might have given them a stroke). They had some pretty coherent and plausible theorizing on the magical workings in the books and how there seemed to be a impending "oh poo poo" moment with Euron doing some Eldritch stuff as well as the other forces in motion with the dragons, Others, Faceless Men, etc. But even if GRRM did have some larger conflict brewing regarding the various magical factions I think he's lost the thread and we'll never see it anyway.

Sounds like Poor Quentyn https://poorquentyn.tumblr.com/

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

genericnick posted:

No load bearing boss in the books. Or anything else except that they melt if you stick them with dragon glass.

Yeah the "kill the head and the others die" thing seems to be ripped directly from the Avengers movies, and it sucked there too. And I'm a big fan for Avengers movies.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Mat Cauthon posted:

I imagine the only thing stopping his publisher from doing so is fear of alienating GRRM himself.

Also... the law?

This isn't the 50s, no one signs over rights like that.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The only 'fake endings' filmed are the coronation scene

Remember the 'leak' about how the show would end with Dany's corpse being paraded through King's Landing as people throw poo poo at it? I wish we'd gotten something only as dumb as that. While Jon having to kill Dany wasn't a surprise in the slightest, poo poo like Jamie vs Euron "the fuinal boss" Greyjoy was awful.

At least we got Cleganebowl. :confuoot:

Mat Cauthon posted:

I can't think of any white walker being killed other than the one Sam stabs and I don't recall that section mentioning anything other than him stabbing it, it dying, and him hauling rear end away from the area.

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah the "kill the head and the others die" thing seems to be ripped directly from the Avengers movies, and it sucked there too. And I'm a big fan for Avengers movies.

It's a trope with vampires in a bunch of settings. They didn't need to rip off The Avengers for their excuse for how the 'Good guys' beat an otherwise unstoppable undead army.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Hell it's the entire climax of Ender's Game

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

mossyfisk posted:

Also... the law?

This isn't the 50s, no one signs over rights like that.

Yeah obviously. My point was more that GRRM is so famous, rich, and influential at this point that it would implode any working relationship if the publisher leaned on him to use a ghostwriter and they don't have the leverage to do so anyway. It's not like they can threaten him with a lower advance or blacklist him at this point.

Yeah that's the one. I looked him up, I guess he's doing more podcasts and stuff now.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Evil Fluffy posted:

Remember the 'leak' about how the show would end with Dany's corpse being paraded through King's Landing as people throw poo poo at it? I wish we'd gotten something only as dumb as that. While Jon having to kill Dany wasn't a surprise in the slightest, poo poo like Jamie vs Euron "the fuinal boss" Greyjoy was awful.

Hey I toxxed on that, actually, I got egged into toxxing on that because I people insisted it was too stupid for the show and I, the smooth operator that I am, insisted that nothing is too stupid for the show.

So, to the benevolent mod who spared me the toxx, you probably read this thread, thanks for that.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It really breaks my brain how come up until after the 7th season people were still saying things like "THEY ARE PROFESSIONAL WRITERS, THEY'LL NEVER DO SOMETHING THIS STUPID" well after bad pussy.

Bad pussy was in season 5, everything that happens in season 5 gets undone in the first 20 minutes of season 6. lol.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

You want a good book but you need the bad thread.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

emanresu tnuocca posted:

It really breaks my brain how come up until after the 7th season people were still saying things like "THEY ARE PROFESSIONAL WRITERS, THEY'LL NEVER DO SOMETHING THIS STUPID" well after bad pussy.

Bad pussy was in season 5, everything that happens in season 5 gets undone in the first 20 minutes of season 6. lol.

I was in that camp purely on the basis of “gently caress it. I’m finally gonna get an ending to this story. I don’t care how rough it is, it’s an ending. Yeah, the writing sucks, but it’s not aggressively dumb. They have a glide path in front of them, there is no possible way they could—oh.”

For what it’s worth though, a lot of those bullshit fake spoilers from 2017 DID come true. Euron was the final boss, although in the poo poo corpse ending he fights Jaime, Jon, AND Drogon in the Dragon Pit and they all blow up together when Drogon accidentally ignites a cache of wildfire stored under the Pit. So that alone is a more bitchin’ end to Weird Sex Pirate Euron than we got.

Also in both versions the Night King dies in like the third episode utterly randomly, though the poo poo corpse ending at least has the heroes lose the Battle of Winterfell, because you know, wrote those bugfuck “spoilers” at least still understood what drama and pacing are.

Cersei also just kind of randomly dies in both versions, ending the story as an afterthought and doing gently caress all in the final arc.

A character no one cares about takes the throne because Jon and Dany are both (good as) dead.

And of course, most important of all, both the fake spoilers and the real ending take a massive, gross, hilarious, insulting dump all over Dany and then parade the effigy around for shits and giggles.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
That 'poo poo on the corpse' possibly fake spoiler dump really boggles my mind to this very day, it's still very possible it was the actual outline written by D&D before it got dave hilled or something like, it did hit a lot of the 'twists' even if almost every single detail was wrong; though to be honest the ending the fake script was way too clever and thematic for D&D to pull off, I'm not surprised we wound up with 'Drogon is out there' instead of 'Undead Bran opening his blue eyes', which would have been better in every way.

gently caress can we just say those fake spoilers were the real ending? Why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

emanresu tnuocca posted:

gently caress can we just say those fake spoilers were the real ending? Why not?