Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Oh, and Existenz, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Do those parts in Videodrome when James Woods makes out with a TV, and then whips a TV while the woman on the screen gets off count?

e: this worked surprisingly well
https://www.imdb.com/search/keyword/?keywords=virtual-sex

Origami Dali fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 9, 2020

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Teknolust
Electronic Lover (1966)
Virtual Sexuality
Life 2.0
Demonlover
.com for Murder
Thomas in Love

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I’m looking for movies in which people “gently caress” remotely using weird future technology. Think Demolition Man, Ready Player One (not explicit, but implied with that force feedback suit), Her/Blade Runner 2049, Tammy and the T-Rex.

E: how could I forget Lawnmower Man?

Sleeper (1973)

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I’m looking for movies in which people “gently caress” remotely using weird future technology. Think Demolition Man, Ready Player One (not explicit, but implied with that force feedback suit), Her/Blade Runner 2049, Tammy and the T-Rex.

E: how could I forget Lawnmower Man?

Strange Days does count but warning it's a rape scene

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

This week we've watched Fury Road, Master and Commander and Edge of Tomorrow. Recs of other well-crafted action movies with efficient stories? Bonus points if it's something that delivers the kind of physical opulence that Mad Max / M & C revels in.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

anatomi posted:

This week we've watched Fury Road, Master and Commander and Edge of Tomorrow. Recs of other well-crafted action movies with efficient stories? Bonus points if it's something that delivers the kind of physical opulence that Mad Max / M & C revels in.
You may have already seen 'em but these come to mind: Hot Fuzz, Attack the Block, Crank 1&2, Kingdom of Heaven Directors Cut, Kong Skull Island, Serenity, Akira, and Redline.

edit: also Dunkirk, 1917, Prometheus and Snowpiercer might fit the bill.

fenix down fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 17, 2020

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Dredd as well.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
Dredd is fantastic and fits the "efficient story" bit very well.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Have you gotten into Hong Kong era John Woo? Bullet in the Head, Hard Boiled, The Killer.

You may also like:

Dead End Drive-In
Drug War
Police Story I & II
Revenge (2017, directed by Coralie Fargeat)
Smokey and the Bandit
Streets of Fire
Vigilante (1983)

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

fenix down posted:

You may have already seen 'em but these come to mind: Hot Fuzz, Attack the Block, Crank 1&2, Kingdom of Heaven Directors Cut, Kong Skull Island, Serenity, Akira, and Redline.

edit: also Dunkirk, 1917, Prometheus and Snowpiercer might fit the bill.

Serenity?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Mission Impossible: Fallout is probably the best action film since Fury Road, not sure you'd call the story "efficient" though :v:

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Not the Matthew Maconaughey one :)

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

The other night I watched American Pop with some friends and while opinions were divided, we all agreed that, despite the fact that the film takes place mostly in the same place, the whole thing felt like an enormous journey. What are some other films that achieve a similar emotion?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Weirdly enough, the first thing to come to mind was The Tree of Life.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

The other night I watched American Pop with some friends and while opinions were divided, we all agreed that, despite the fact that the film takes place mostly in the same place, the whole thing felt like an enormous journey. What are some other films that achieve a similar emotion?
The Hateful Eight, Stop Making Sense.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Russian Ark

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Thanks for the recs, y'all!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Trying to think of movies with desert hicks like Tremors, Raising Arizona, sort of Breaking Bad, sort of Paris, Texas

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

morestuff posted:

Trying to think of movies with desert hicks like Tremors, Raising Arizona, sort of Breaking Bad, sort of Paris, Texas

The hills Have eyes

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Cool and/or fascinating ancient history (pre-Christ at latest) or pre-history movies? Very open.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Agora (2009) for sure.

Edit: my bad, it's not pre Christ.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Examples of movies where there's one character talking about something really outlandish and it's mostly dismissed by the other characters only to be revealed in the 3rd act that they were right? Or just any movie where there's a hard turn in the 3rd act into something very different. Examples: (obviously, spoilers follow): 10 Cloverfield Lane, From Dusk to Dawn (although the hard turn comes in the second act), Dude Where's My Car, A Serious Man (maybe?). I suppose Conspiracy Theory fits although it's obvious from the first minute how things will unfold later.

Also, is Mysterious Skin any good?

E: I should clarify that I'm not talking about movies where a character tries to convince people about something the audience is already aware of ala Jaws, Godzilla movies, disaster movies, where we know the scientist character who is being ignored is right. I'm more interested in movies that look skeptically at the doomsayer.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 25, 2020

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

regulargonzalez posted:

Also, is Mysterious Skin any good?

It's incredibly good.

Binkie
Mar 20, 2004

Robble Robble Robble

morestuff posted:

U-Turn

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello

regulargonzalez posted:

Examples of movies where there's one character talking about something really outlandish and it's mostly dismissed by the other characters only to be revealed in the 3rd act that they were right?

The Mist

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Dredd as well.

Dredd rules. I saw someone recommend Kong: Skull Island. Yes. Also Edge of Tomorrow. Horrible name.....but really good movie. I heart Emily Blunt.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Also Edge of Tomorrow. Horrible name.....but really good movie. I heart Emily Blunt.

I love that they unofficially changed the name to "Live Die Repeat" when it came out on Blu-Ray.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

pooch516 posted:

I love that they unofficially changed the name to "Live Die Repeat" when it came out on Blu-Ray.

I saw that. Much better name.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

pooch516 posted:

Wasn't it called "All You Need Is Kill" at some point?

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
That's the name of the manga it was based on.

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

The Lodge on Hulu. I put this one off because it looked like another generic "haunted house" kind of movie to me (I try not to make these pre-judgements but I always fall victim to it).

It turned out to not be that at all.

It's very well down psychological horror with a lot of "look and feel" references to The Shining. I totally even missed the reference with the dog's name. The characters actually watch The Thing at one point and this movie is just about in the same class for the genre.

Highly recommended!

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

What are some good pastoral movies, that is, movies about life on a farm or about farming? Babe or Days of Heaven are good examples.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

pospysyl posted:

What are some good pastoral movies, that is, movies about life on a farm or about farming? Babe or Days of Heaven are good examples.

Witness. :v:

Field of Dreams and The Horse Whisperer are legit.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

pospysyl posted:

The Emigrants (1971)
The New Land (1972)

Dersu Uzala (1975) also comes to mind but it's more about rugged living than farming.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Days of Heaven
Jean de Florette
Nowhere in Africa
The Tree of Wooden Clogs
Earth (Zemlya)

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Are any of Paul Verhoeven's movies worth watching outside of the classic trilogy of Robocop, Total Recall, and Starship Troopers?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Are any of Paul Verhoeven's movies worth watching outside of the classic trilogy of Robocop, Total Recall, and Starship Troopers?

Pretty much all of them. Elle, Black Book, Basic Instinct, The Fourth Man, and Showgirls all rule. Flesh and Blood is not very good but it's interestingly weird. Hollow Man is also not great but you can see where there was a much better movie at some point in the process that got chopped up.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Apparently Soldier of Orange (Dutch film) is excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

The Fourth Man is a queer masterpiece