Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

64bit_Dophins posted:

Where is the best place to get Macbook replacement batteries?

I have a 13in 2013 retina MBP that has a battery that is on its way out.

I don't really want to upgrade yet and feel like I can get another few years out of this thing.

Ifixit will sell you a whole kit with tools and such for just a few bucks more than the naked battery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Shaocaholica posted:

Honestly WUXGA in 17" or 15" is still plenty useful and not dated. It's too bad it was dropped so soon.

Heck, specking of XPS, Dell just re-introduced this res.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

~Coxy posted:

Heck, specking of XPS, Dell just re-introduced this res.

Yes it is glorious I’m tempted to buy the 17” in both resolutions*.

*used. In 5 years when it’s 1/3 the price.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
1680x1050 on my 13" Pro makes me feel like I'm going blind.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Daniel Bryan posted:

Are you > 35?

All the kids using their Retinas crank that poo poo.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Bob Morales posted:

Are you > 35?

I'm 34. :shepicide:

It's not that bad, just a tiny bit too small.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Daniel Bryan posted:

:same:

I have to use my Macbook Pro at a low resolution to feel comfortable and I'm not even old. I'm 33!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Well I can't just call you "man"

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

this might've been an answered question back when the new 13s were announced, but what's with the apparently different cpu in the base model 13? feels like most outlets have been saying it's the same 8th gen but it's not.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

sleepwalkers posted:

this might've been an answered question back when the new 13s were announced, but what's with the apparently different cpu in the base model 13? feels like most outlets have been saying it's the same 8th gen but it's not.

This is what Everymac has listed

2019 MacBook Pro 13" "Core i5" 2.4 Touch 2.4 GHz Core i5 (I5-8279U)
2019 MacBook Pro 13" "Core i5" 1.4 Touch 2 TB 31.4 GHz Core i5 (I5-8257U)

2020 MacBook Pro 13" "Core i5" 2.0 4 TB 32.0 GHz Core i5 (I5-1038NG7)
2020 MacBook Pro 13" "Core i5" 1.4 2 TB 31.4 GHz Core i5 (I5-8257U)

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I was interested in getting a mini but I read online (not recommended) that the processors are 8th gen, compared to the current 10th gen. How much of an actual difference would a more up-to-date chip be?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

well why not posted:

I was interested in getting a mini but I read online (not recommended) that the processors are 8th gen, compared to the current 10th gen. How much of an actual difference would a more up-to-date chip be?

AFAIK 10th gen desktop CPUs aren't even out yet (being released next week). Anyway, the top spec Mini has an i7 8700 (6C12T). A 9700 (9th gen, 8C8T (...why does this not have HT???)) or the upcoming 10700 (10th gen, 8C16T) would only be ~10-15% faster for most workflows, except in workflows that can take advantage of the extra 2 cores on the 9th/10th gen chips, in which case you might see more like ~25-35%. So depending on your use cases, the difference could be "not much" to "somewhat significant". Another note is since the Mini was release, Apple has started using i9s in some products as top spec options, so it's possible if Minis are ever CPU refreshed, the top spec option might be (assuming 10th gen) an i9 10900 (10C20T) instead of an i7 10700 (8C16T).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Splinter posted:

AFAIK 10th gen desktop CPUs aren't even out yet (being released next week). Anyway, the top spec Mini has an i7 8700 (6C12T). A 9700 (9th gen, 8C8T (...why does this not have HT???)) or the upcoming 10700 (10th gen, 8C16T) would only be ~10-15% faster for most workflows, except in workflows that can take advantage of the extra 2 cores on the 9th/10th gen chips, in which case you might see more like ~25-35%. So depending on your use cases, the difference could be "not much" to "somewhat significant". Another note is since the Mini was release, Apple has started using i9s in some products as top spec options, so it's possible if Minis are ever CPU refreshed, the top spec option might be (assuming 10th gen) an i9 10900 (10C20T) instead of an i7 10700 (8C16T).

Isn’t the gpu way way better? It’s a big bottleneck on the current model, tho Apple says you can egpu your way to success there

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Ok Comboomer posted:

Isn’t the gpu way way better? It’s a big bottleneck on the current model, tho Apple says you can egpu your way to success there

I had not considered the iGPU. Looking at spec sheets, the 8700, 9700 and 10700 all use "UHD Graphics 630" at identical specs, so maybe not? But I have no idea.

e: Maybe you are thinking of their 10th gen laptop CPUs, which I believe have already moved to Ice Lake/10nm and have upgraded iGPUs. I don't think their desktop CPUs are expected to get Ice Lake (or w/e their desktop 10nm chip will be called) until the 11th gen processors, probably not until sometime in 2021.

Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 20, 2020

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
"10th gen graphics are up to 80% better!*"

* In that 18fps is 80% better than 10fps.

Get an egpu if you're not getting a 16"/Mac Pro.
Also, 10th gen desktop CPUs are still using 14nm process. Only the mobile chips are realizing the benefits of 10 nanometer.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Are you > 35?

I'm over that hill and crank that poo poo. Guess I'm used to tiny screen elements from basically using an iPad mini as my main machine for the better part of the decade.

Course now I'm back to mostly using my Mac mini lately and want a 4K or 5K2K display...

well why not posted:

Short version of the last few posts: there'd be some more cores.

On the plus side since the only thing they changed for 2020 was doubling the stock storage sizes, if you can find a deal on a 2018 you can rest easy knowing you're not missing out on anything (...other than that extra storage).

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Apple opening stores in Canada today. Bet the repair bars gonna get slammed..

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

This is what Everymac has listed

2019 MacBook Pro 13" "Core i5" 2.4 Touch 2.4 GHz Core i5 (I5-8279U)
2019 MacBook Pro 13" "Core i5" 1.4 Touch 2 TB 31.4 GHz Core i5 (I5-8257U)

2020 MacBook Pro 13" "Core i5" 2.0 4 TB 32.0 GHz Core i5 (I5-1038NG7)
2020 MacBook Pro 13" "Core i5" 1.4 2 TB 31.4 GHz Core i5 (I5-8257U)

ope, must've been looking at the 2018 model in that case.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Was hoping for some general info and advice on purchasing an iMac. I have a 27" that has worked excellently for about 6 years but it is starting to show its age a little now. I'm looking to replace it with the current iMac 27" (I know new ones are rumored sometime this year but would rather upgrade now, especially since I've heard they're changing processor type which will make Bootcamp gaming difficult/impossible?) and was seeking advice on hardware options as one of my biggest priorities and reasons that I like the iMac so much is that it runs completely silently.

I was going to get the most powerful one they have and customize it with a 2TB SSD and upgrade the graphics to Pro Vega 48 (for gaming in Bootcamp) but wondered about the CPU. I have a vague memory of reading somewhere that people recommended upgrading the CPU from the default i5 to the i9 because it's quieter? I don't intend to be running very demanding games on ultra settings, just current stuff at medium or so and at a decent framerate (I'm not fussed about 4k/5k either, I already drop game resolutions on my current iMac anyway). Is the i9 quieter? Does it run cooler and more efficiently or am I just misremembering whatever it is that I think I read? Is there much of a power jump from the i5? It seems like the i5 would be the better choice since although it has less cores their default clock speed is higher but I thought it best to ask here since I'm torn on what to go with and getting something powerful that lasts seems wise before Apple switches processors but I don't want something so powerful that I sacrifice how quiet it runs.

Also noticed the specs get close to the base model iMac Pro at this point which comes with a better GPU (I don't know the difference between the standard iMac CPUs and the Xeon in the Pro) and would just need the SSD upgrade? I think I read about iMac Pro having some issues however so I'm torn on the whole thing.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Trying to build a Windows gaming iMac seems like a miserable idea unless you're a millionaire and don't care about overspending for underpowered hardware. Goonspeed my friend.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

If it's anything like my MBP 16" you'll have to manually manage your thermals and do stuff like max out fans, turn off CPU cores, and turn off turbo to avoid having your CPU throttle to 780MHz within 5 minutes of gameplay.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
You should definitely consider building a Windows gaming PC and going with a Macbook Air or Pro as a secondary Mac machine if gaming is that important to you. iMac gaming is perilous with questionable thermals and nonstop weird issues. Also there will probably be a 10th gen iMac update within the next couple months, so this is the worst time to upgrade. The current iMac models were released last March.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 20, 2020

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Binary Badger posted:

Apple opening stores in Canada today. Bet the repair bars gonna get slammed..

Depends on how many people held out and/or still have hope.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

SUNKOS posted:

I don't intend to be running very demanding games on ultra settings, just current stuff at medium or so and at a decent framerate (I'm not fussed about 4k/5k either, I already drop game resolutions on my current iMac anyway).

I can't say anything about the current iMac offerings, but as someone who's had a Bootcamp partition for a few games that don't have Mac versions since Bootcamp was possible, I don't get the hyperbolic doomsaying responses to this. It's fine, really, folks. From the quote, their expectations are perfectly reasonable, and the convenience of only having one machine and not having to deal with a PC taking up extra space is worth it for some.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Do the video card drivers ever update? Seems like AMD goes out of its way to make sure you can't download their web drivers and I doubt apple is particularly aggressive about pushing out driver updates for windows.

If you have the space, I also recommend the external display + mac laptop + windows gaming pc. All 3 is probably cheaper than trying to get a specced out iMac.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Yeah I have an Xbox One X & PS4 for gaming and I wouldn't be planning on running latest releases. I'm not looking for an iMac that can run Red Dead Redemption 2 or Cyberpunk 2077 at 60fps 5K etc. because I know it's pointless. My current iMac has an ancient i5 from six years ago and a 780m GPU and I've been happy with it gaming-wise (I like a lot of indie games). Never had to mess with thermals or anything like that.

I've been looking more into the iMac Pro however and saw they redesigned the cooling system for that which looks pretty good and apparently for some reason current iMacs don't have the T2 chip despite the Pro having them? Kinda torn between a fully-upgraded iMac or going a bit further for the Pro which seems like the better choice?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
My bad advice would be to look on the refurb store for a 10-core/2TB iMac Pro but that's bad advice don't do that unless you want to spend a bunch of money but also be happy.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

My Bad Advice would be to buy a 10 year old cheesegrater Mac Pro for $500 and stick the fattest AMD video card you can find in it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

MrBond posted:

Do the video card drivers ever update? Seems like AMD goes out of its way to make sure you can't download their web drivers and I doubt apple is particularly aggressive about pushing out driver updates for windows.

If you have the space, I also recommend the external display + mac laptop + windows gaming pc. All 3 is probably cheaper than trying to get a specced out iMac.

No, you have to download updated drivers from a guy who apparently does a lot of re-jiggering to get them to work: https://www.bootcampdrivers.com/

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

American McGay posted:

My bad advice would be to look on the refurb store for a 10-core/2TB iMac Pro but that's bad advice don't do that unless you want to spend a bunch of money but also be happy.

Yeah I looked and they only have one with a 1TB SSD :(

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

MrBond posted:

For macOS, Apple used to issue Graphic Firmware / Graphic updates separately from the OS; I think the last graphics-only update they issued was for 10.6.x.. sometimes for video card firmware, sometimes for drivers.. after that they pretty much wound up folding them into point releases and not bothering to tell anyone they updated the drivers unless it was to fix something specific, like a particularly nasty bug with older Mac minis and HDMI connections.

SUNKOS posted:

I've been looking more into the iMac Pro however and saw they redesigned the cooling system for that which looks pretty good and apparently for some reason current iMacs don't have the T2 chip despite the Pro having them? Kinda torn between a fully-upgraded iMac or going a bit further for the Pro which seems like the better choice?

If you're going to play 3D / FPS games a lot and you got a big budget, it'd probably better to go for the iMac Pro, which has a much beefier (but still not engineered for gaming per se) cooling system.

However, the considerations for the iMac Pro are these:

1- RAM is expandable, but requires opening the machine up by removing the display, and removing the logic board, and using somewhat expensive desktop DIMMs. The regular iMac takes less expensive laptop DIMMs and there's an easy access hatch to pop them in

2- CPU is socketed, which means future (Xeon W compatible) CPU upgrades are possible, but GPU is soldered onto logic board.

3 - The iMac Pro is said to have the best speakers of any Mac desktop, but since there's only the iMacs, this, and the new Mac Pro which has a single, tiny built-in speaker, that's not saying much

4- iMacs have either a 3 TB Fusion drive or 1/2 TB SSD storage, iMac Pros have SSD only, available with 1, 2, or 4 TB.

iMac Pro SSDs are technically upgradeable but only at purchase time, if they get damaged they can be replaced separately, but are an Apple proprietary build (only available from Apple as a service part) and can only be replaced in pairs.

iMac SSDs have a dedicated slot and can accept industry standard M.2 NVMe drives with a cheap adapter, but you won't be able to do BootROM updates with a third party drive.

If you only intend on playing limited animation games like Into the Breach, the regular iMac might be a better value.

Regular iMacs don't have T2s as it would drive up their price, which would put them out of reach of the education market.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I have a Windows tower and a mac laptop with a dual monitor set up where I can double output from either or have single output from each and it feels like the most efficient way to cover all my work/home/fun bases.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I have a late 2013 iMac that’s still going great - as soon as I got an SSD to replace the old fusion drive. However, what happens when macOS stops supporting my old computer (which will probably happen soon as it is near the bottom of the list of supported machines already)? Is it rendered useless? Should I get something new now while it’s still alive and kicking and I might get some change for it?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I don't think macOS actually stops supporting hardware in the same way that say iOS does. I don't think you have anything to worry about for another 5 years.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

American McGay posted:

I don't think macOS actually stops supporting hardware in the same way that say iOS does. I don't think you have anything to worry about for another 5 years.

I can’t install catalina on my late 2011 macbook pro so there are many of us that got end of lifed by that release.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I'm hoping we get at least one more macOS release out of the 2013 iMacs. They are great machines. Being stuck on Catalina would be sad.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

cowofwar posted:

I can’t install catalina on my late 2011 macbook pro so there are many of us that got end of lifed by that release.

Eh you’re not missing much. You can always use the dosdude patched installer it’s pretty slick with Catalina but I’d wait for the next point release or later.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Last Chance posted:

I'm hoping we get at least one more macOS release out of the 2013 iMacs. They are great machines. Being stuck on Catalina would be sad.
Would it though? It's been a while since I've been excited about a yearly macOS update. I honestly can't even tell you the difference between the last few. Dark mode is cool I guess.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Xabi posted:

I have a late 2013 iMac that’s still going great - as soon as I got an SSD to replace the old fusion drive. However, what happens when macOS stops supporting my old computer (which will probably happen soon as it is near the bottom of the list of supported machines already)? Is it rendered useless? Should I get something new now while it’s still alive and kicking and I might get some change for it?

If Apple stops supporting your iMac then it simply continues to perform as it does today until the end of time. You just don't get whatever new features are in the next OS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
A 2013 iMac is practically new for me. Especially with upgraded ram. Good luck opening one up for SSD upgrade tho the 2013s are a pain just youtube the disassembly and see. The easier ones before that weren't all the easy either.

With the patcher community you'll get a few more major MacOS revisions after Apple drops support.