Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

loving McAfee.

Only loving McAfee would regularly fail to detect actual malware on end-user computers, but zot a shortcut inside a .zip file as a "potentially unwanted program".

loving McAfee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
Why do some random developers insist on using GTK file picker for everything (Sublime Text... Firefox...)? Please I'm begging for the love of all that is meaty and delicious that they implement DE-specific handlers. GTK file picker chooser lacks features, has dumb bugs, and routinely causes lag issues. Drop an SSHFS connection and GTK file picker shits the bed with its freshman bullshit quality.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

stevewm posted:

My company is in the process of building another store. I have been trying to sort out connectivity.

I found out there is a local outfit that has been running fiber to local businesses.

In doing a bit of research, I found out the owner of the fiber company is ALSO the owner of the local competitor store that our new store is likely to run out of business.

Oops....

I work for a CLEC that can provide Layer 2 and Layer 3 services, and Spectrum is one of our e-bonded carriers (I'm pretty sure anyway--I know for 100% that we have an IA with them) so if you want me to put you in touch with someone we can work it out over PM.

e: any kind of Layer 1 stuff for connectivity is going to depend on Spectrum to do the actual construction but apart from that it's likely to be cheaper for someone to deal with them through us, it's just any kind of special construction is uncertain till they do a survey and decide what absurd markup they want to quote to us to get it done. Even so, and even dealing with bullshit tariff rates it's still usually cheaper and less of a headache.

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 19, 2020

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
Techs who just bullshit answers because they feel compelled to say something even when they dont know the answer.

A tech tried to tell me I didnt have remote access to a PC because I asked him to take my access away (I've no idea)...

I think he was getting upset that this particular PC had an issue, a manager asked me to look at it and I was interfering with "his baby" so tried to talk me out of getting involved.

But this was coming from a guy who, when I said "do they still do anti static bags? I dont think I've ever fried anything with static" replied with

"Oh I have, I fried a stick of RAM, it threw me across the room"

"F. Off that's not static"

"That's what H&S put it down as"

Righto

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
What's H&S?

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

Health and Safety department

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
wow you have one of those??

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

I'm my own department and we run a streamlined ship here. No inspections or drug tests necessary.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

dragonshardz posted:

loving McAfee.

Only loving McAfee would regularly fail to detect actual malware on end-user computers, but zot a shortcut inside a .zip file as a "potentially unwanted program".

loving McAfee.

Sounds like they’re capturing the chaotic energy of their namesake well.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
*takes down notes*

right... so this person thinks people working on electrical equipment shouldn't be shocked... yeah we'll take a note of that. can you explain, in detail if possible, what steps you would take if an employee--hypothetically--was shocked or experienced some other type of... workplace malfunction? You understand this is just routine.

I guess if they were shocked by the work they shouldn't have gotten the job in the first place, am I right Bob?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Blue Moonlight posted:

Sounds like they’re capturing the chaotic energy of their namesake well.

they are way more chaotic and evil than their namesake which is saying something

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

taqueso posted:

they are way more chaotic and evil than their namesake which is saying something

https://youtu.be/bKgf5PaBzyg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKgf5PaBzyg

Weedle
May 31, 2006

hey at least the girls poop on him voluntarily. i never asked for mcafee to be preinstalled

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

HiroProtagonist posted:

wow you have one of those??

The guy actually said the "Health and safety executive"

Which is to suggest his incident was so severe that someone from the national independent body for health and safety was required to preside over this incident.

It just doesnt happen like that :D

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Ticket Description: "Cannot install zoom."
Priority: 1

IT: 'please note that Priority 1 should only be used for life or death situations'

User:

quote:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/20/singapore-sentences-man-to-death-via-zoom-call
A man has been sentenced to death in Singapore via a Zoom video-call for his role in a drug deal, the city-state’s first case where capital punishment has been delivered remotely.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

READ.
THE.
loving.
TICKET.

Does no one read tickets anymore? Do they just see the summary in JIRA, read the first word, and go "I GOT THIS" *slams close ticket button*

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

grillster posted:

I'm my own department and we run a streamlined ship here. No inspections or drug tests necessary.

Idunno man, testing the drugs is the best part :lsd:

stevewm
May 10, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

READ.
THE.
loving.
TICKET.

Does no one read tickets anymore? Do they just see the summary in JIRA, read the first word, and go "I GOT THIS" *slams close ticket button*

No one reads tickets or emails.

The last update of our ERP software introduced a small bug when saving a quote. There is a very easy and quick workaround for it. I sent an email twice to the sales group explaining how to workaround it until fixed. I am still getting daily calls a week later because no one can be bothered to actually read and comprehend a 2 sentence email.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

READ.
THE.
loving.
TICKET.

I hate this poo poo. Here's my last post about that kind of thing.

ConfusedUs posted:

It is one of life's true joys to write the nice "gently caress you" response.

I pinged one of our engineering groups about a customer escalation that has been open since July 2019. I'm not front-line Support, so if I hear about it, it's A Big Deal to someone.

The description in the ticket is something like "Unable to remove notifications." They respond with "we added that feature."

This pissed me off for several reasons. First, the customer has had a lot of issues, all just similar enough to keep the ticket open, but it has certainly evolved beyond a description set 8+ months ago. The issue is now duplicate notifications, and has been since December. Second, the email I sent quoted the actual problem in detail. Third, we had an entire meeting with this team earlier this month about how to move forward with this exact ticket, and they promised action.

And they don't even bother to do more than read the single line description?

My response offered to help them come up with a process for how to update ticket descriptions. Who owns this? Support? You? Let's get this in writing so this doesn't happen and make a customer wait for three months. It offered to schedule a second meeting about the ticket to bring the group together to show urgency and team-building spirit! It offered to speak to assorted Directors to see about getting them additional resources to tackle the problem. I was one helpful motherfucker.

Next step is actually doing all those things. Don't think I loving won't.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

After 11 years at the same organization I'm just getting my stuff read by being graybeard terse. Use heading styles for condescending bolding and then if called out say you're doing it to be ADA compliant, like I do. Your results may vary if your reporting structure is arrogant and on coke, but for others I recommend it.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Moo the cow posted:

Ticket Description: "Cannot install zoom."
Priority: 1

IT: 'please note that Priority 1 should only be used for life or death situations'

User:

That's a pretty hilarious response from the user tbh.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

ConfusedUs posted:

I hate this poo poo. Here's my last post about that kind of thing.

I love a carefully deployed 'ah clearly the issue here is training or headcount, let me speak to someone higher up and inform them that your team need assistance' delivered with a poo poo-eating grin. I kept having to refer one of our guys to training webinars because they would constantly ask questions about how to do things that were both very basic, documented clearly, and covered by the training course that he'd been on a week before. It's like malicious compliance in a way.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I'm seriously considering taking a demotion at my current work. It'd be about a %20 paycut but I wouldnt be on call anymore.

I'm on call once a week every month. No on-call pay but we can take the time as comp time in the same pay period but its just never worth it. Last month I was up until 3am because of a fiber cut, coordinating with telco and site. Last week we had another fiber cut and it was the same.

I'm tired of checking emails on my phone 24/7 and having to respond here and there. Its exhausting. I dont want to work when Im not at work.

I can go from roughly $88k to $70k with the same benefits, and might even be able to get another week of PTO out of it and not have to be on call or tied to my phone anymore.

It'd be a huge step down in responsibilities and prestige but I dont care anymore. I want to clock in, do my work, and leave.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I'm seriously considering taking a demotion at my current work. It'd be about a %20 paycut but I wouldnt be on call anymore.

I'm on call once a week every month. No on-call pay but we can take the time as comp time in the same pay period but its just never worth it. Last month I was up until 3am because of a fiber cut, coordinating with telco and site. Last week we had another fiber cut and it was the same.

I'm tired of checking emails on my phone 24/7 and having to respond here and there. Its exhausting. I dont want to work when Im not at work.

I can go from roughly $88k to $70k with the same benefits, and might even be able to get another week of PTO out of it and not have to be on call or tied to my phone anymore.

It'd be a huge step down in responsibilities and prestige but I dont care anymore. I want to clock in, do my work, and leave.

I bet if you do the sums based on the amount of hours that you actually work (including all those on-call hours), you're actually going to be up 20%+ on your current hourly rate.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Glacial hiring processes are what's pissing me off. I've been through four five interviews so far for this position stretching back to February

Meanwhile I had an interview at a place yesterday and didn't get a real good vibe and told them so and then later that evening got a call from the owner and he tried to sell me the moon. Smells fishy.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

BaseballPCHiker posted:

What you're considering going to closely describes my current job and pay at a city government. I am very content. Would recommend.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Do it.

I'm currently looking into a similar move, but it would be a 20% pay increase + moving to a higher CoL area, making it a harder call to make :v:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Moo the cow posted:

I bet if you do the sums based on the amount of hours that you actually work (including all those on-call hours), you're actually going to be up 20%+ on your current hourly rate.

Counting the non-paid work hours as hourly wage isnt something I even factored in but you're right.

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

What you're considering going to closely describes my current job and pay at a city government. I am very content. Would recommend.

Hey I'm local city government too! I'd be going from the network infrastructure team to our overpaid, overstaffed helpdesk.

Wibla posted:

Do it.

I'm currently looking into a similar move, but it would be a 20% pay increase + moving to a higher CoL area, making it a harder call to make :v:

The salary range is the only thing that gives me pause. If I stay in my current position I could be topping $100k in another 3-4 years with built in raises. Then in 3-4 years I'd imagine we start getting cost of living adjustments.

If I apply for helpdesk I'd be at the top of the salary range and would only be able to get cost of living adjustments there would be no more pay grades for me to move up in. But I could actually just clock out and leave work at work.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Depends whether you want to make a living or make a career.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Being on-call loving sucks, but I am not sure dealing with helpdesk tickets every day is better.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Hey I'm local city government too! I'd be going from the network infrastructure team to our overpaid, overstaffed helpdesk.

Also local city government employee chiming in to say that this is very rare. We are very understaffed and overworked but we are still in the top 10% of local governments in that we actually have an IT department. Not all localities are even so lucky.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

Being on-call loving sucks, but I am not sure dealing with helpdesk tickets every day is better.

True, but it ends when you clock out for the day. Im not having to check my email/IMs just in case every hour at home and im not expected to work late or weekends.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Also local city government employee chiming in to say that this is very rare. We are very understaffed and overworked but we are still in the top 10% of local governments in that we actually have an IT department. Not all localities are even so lucky.

How our helpdesk got to where it is today amazes me. 1200 users and we have 14 helpdesk staff. Starting pay $65k. That seems like an absurd ratio to me, especially when we dont have the call volume to dictate that many people in my opinion.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I’m relatively new to city government work and was very surprised to learn that our staff of 40 people in IT was large by most standards in the area. Thankfully we aren’t as heavily overworked since we’ve hired 10 people over the past year but it’s still pretty busy.

Along those lines - any other Munis admins out there?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Do it and use the time savings to learn something else with a view to moving. Your company has a poo poo on-call setup if you're expected to monitor emails.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

duffmensch posted:

I’m relatively new to city government work and was very surprised to learn that our staff of 40 people in IT was large by most standards in the area. Thankfully we aren’t as heavily overworked since we’ve hired 10 people over the past year but it’s still pretty busy.

Along those lines - any other Munis admins out there?

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MY DUDE!
Hows Dashboard working out for you?

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MY DUDE!
Hows Dashboard working out for you?

Still on 11.3 for the time being :( but I'm building the plan for our upgrade next year (we would have gone this year but they pushed back the EOL to 2022).

Edit: Things pissing me off: Working with a vendor to fix a data feed that was broken for a year (no one ever documented that it existed) and I can't get them to respond to let me know the results of testing the new data feed. This after jumping through all of their hoops to get access to their testing environment :fuckoff:

duffmensch fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 21, 2020

Weedle
May 31, 2006

my boss idly floated the idea the other week of promising 24/7 helpdesk monitoring (we have three techs) and i said (paraphrased) "gently caress offffffffffffff" and haven't heard about it since

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I’ve started to get a reputation for doing stuff with PowerShell with some of the other it groups in my company so I’ve started getting some random “can you look at this? / How do you do this? “ emails from people I don’t normally work with on a daily basis

I say this because I just got an email with the subject “powershell ?” and it took me way too long to realize it was spam

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

duffmensch posted:

Still on 11.3 for the time being :( but I'm building the plan for our upgrade next year (we would have gone this year but they pushed back the EOL to 2022).

Well that's good, at least you have plenty of time to plan. Don't slack though. We were using the Genero client like a year past EOL and that was a bit of a problem.

poo poo that pisses me off: loving printers in Munis/Tyler Forms. We are still waiting on Tyler forms to finish configuring everything so we can move off of Adobe Central though. I think once we've done that it will be a lot more manageable. Right now the loving onion that is munis printing with MULTIPLE layers of scripts and programs involved passing raw data is just untenable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

BaseballPCHiker posted:

How our helpdesk got to where it is today amazes me. 1200 users and we have 14 helpdesk staff. Starting pay $65k. That seems like an absurd ratio to me, especially when we dont have the call volume to dictate that many people in my opinion.

:stare: We have 4 (fully staffed at 5, hiring freeze right now though) at ours, probably around that many users. Similar pay, though they don't hire any "entry level" people. I think the level 1 pay is in the low 50s, but there aren't any level 1s on staff right now. Staff to workload balance seems good.

This is the only city I've ever worked out so I couldn't say if it's rare or not.