Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

Glad I'm not the only one super annoyed by captcha fever.

I'm always struggling to decide what counts. Select all the traffic lights. Fine. But does that mean just the light, or the assembly, or the pole too? And this one square has a tiiiiny sliver showing that a lot of people wouldn't notice. Do I click it? Who knows! Oh, click the bus, well, your picture has lovely resolution and I can tell if that grey blob in the background is a bus, an SUV, or a house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Eclipse12 posted:

I'm always struggling to decide what counts. Select all the traffic lights. Fine. But does that mean just the light, or the assembly, or the pole too? And this one square has a tiiiiny sliver showing that a lot of people wouldn't notice. Do I click it? Who knows! Oh, click the bus, well, your picture has lovely resolution and I can tell if that grey blob in the background is a bus, an SUV, or a house.

I hear ya, and this is why trained AIs will develop compulsive OCD in the coming years

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Binding of Isaac. I bought it on Switch and it's just too much to take in I can't keep playing.

There's hundreds of items unlocked at the start, the game doesn't tell you the names of them before you pick them up, some are just bad and should never be picked up but look like the good ones that should be picked up.

The RNG is stupid. I went three floors without finding a key once. Another run had me get 6 maps down before I got anything to modify my tears.

I can almost never afford anything in shops because money is rare as gently caress

And then there's just the edgelord aesthetic that's very difficult to put aside.

I'm glad some people are able to sink hundreds of hours into it but I'll stick with games that aren't hard to be hard

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nuebot posted:

I sure hope you're not the kind of person who shares passwords with more than one account or device! Because boy howdy that sure was a problem when GTAV first came out, and it's still a problem because they've fixed literally nothing.

They can't possibly be storing the hashes unsalted, right? Nobody in 2020 could be that primitive?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Eclipse12 posted:

Based on experience I now go 'sloppy'. Don't spend more than 2 seconds thinking about it, just go for the immediately obvious. You want to match the majority of human responders and this seems to be the best way to do that. If you overthink it then you won't match other people and will be marked 'wrong'.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

google will also tell you to try again even if you don't get it wrong, depending on how much they dislike you. if they hate your ip address enough they just setup an unending stream of captchas that never get marked correct

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Byzantine posted:

I'm not saying people deserve that for playing GTAV, but I am saying that San Andreas still exists and is better in every single way.

Or Bully. I think that holds up better than GTA San Andreas I think.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I would love for Bully to get a sequel. :sigh:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Electric bullygaloo

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
Could split the GTA difference and have it be University and do a ruff on old frat house films

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Make it like Revenge of the Nerds only you play a well-educated Jock who beats up nerds for being rapists.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Riatsala posted:

Can a smart person explain to me why every other game I get has to install DirectX? It's dragging down a lot of games that I want to play, lately.

Edit: Okay, you know what? gently caress GTA 5 in general. I'm not even playing the drat game yet and I'm tired of it

First download the hundred gig game, then install it, then install Direct X, then download the Rock Game Launcher, then it can't verify the game with the Epic Launcher, so you have to restart both, then I have to create a Rockstar Social account, which is capped off by 5(!) captchas where I identify crosswalks in pictures, but poo poo I got it wrong so I have to do a bonus captcha, but whoops the username is taken so I have to chose another name and do MORE CAPTCHAS, gently caress them up, do MORE CAPTCHAS, verify my email, link my Rockstar Social account with my Epic account, and then, a solid half hour after the game was installed I get to play it. gently caress. this. noise. I had to fill out less information to take out a house loan.

Edit 2: Never mind I also had to log into my Rockstar Social Account and fill out more captchas, which were wrong so I had to do 5 of them.

lmao

e: grand theft auto five hourse of your time

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Make it like Revenge of the Nerds only you play a well-educated Jock who beats up nerds for being rapists.

The mascot is a literal white night, the game writes itself

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Len posted:

Binding of Isaac. I bought it on Switch and it's just too much to take in I can't keep playing.

There's hundreds of items unlocked at the start, the game doesn't tell you the names of them before you pick them up, some are just bad and should never be picked up but look like the good ones that should be picked up.

The RNG is stupid. I went three floors without finding a key once. Another run had me get 6 maps down before I got anything to modify my tears.

I can almost never afford anything in shops because money is rare as gently caress

And then there's just the edgelord aesthetic that's very difficult to put aside.

I'm glad some people are able to sink hundreds of hours into it but I'll stick with games that aren't hard to be hard

The vast majority of items are fine to pick up, the only ones that I'd say are total run killers that should be avoided at all costs are Ludovico Technique, Cursed Eye, and Curse of the Tower. Otherwise it's fine to just pick everything up and learn it that way. It's really helpful to turn on the additional HUD which shows you your stats so you can see exactly what stuff does when you pick it up.

Yeah, you occasionally get screwed by the RNG and it sucks, I find that to be pretty rare though.

You can usually have plenty of money to start using the shop by the third floor. Being able to meaningfully use it on the first or second is rarer so I default to not wasting a key opening it on those floors, but some runs you get a lot of money early so it's nice that they're still there early. Being able to find the secret room really helps with money, which is generally pretty easy once you've done it a few times.

And yeah the aesthetic is dumb but you kind of stop noticing it.

I found watching a few runs by some streamers really helped me figure out how to play the game correctly. I think Sinvicta is probably the least annoying of the big names. Of course there are a ton of roguelites out there so if you don't like this one there's no need to force yourself.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

YggiDee posted:

I hate the 'click the crosswalk' captchas so much. Whatever happened to the wiggly letters? I miss the wiggly letters.

And you know what, if a robot wants to play GTA so badly, maybe we should let them.

You could enter anything you wanted for the non wiggles is why. I entered poo poo for every book reading word cause gently caress you you'll get no free labour from me.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

The Moon Monster posted:

The vast majority of items are fine to pick up, the only ones that I'd say are total run killers that should be avoided at all costs are Ludovico Technique, Cursed Eye, and Curse of the Tower. Otherwise it's fine to just pick everything up and learn it that way. It's really helpful to turn on the additional HUD which shows you your stats so you can see exactly what stuff does when you pick it up.

Yeah, you occasionally get screwed by the RNG and it sucks, I find that to be pretty rare though.

You can usually have plenty of money to start using the shop by the third floor. Being able to meaningfully use it on the first or second is rarer so I default to not wasting a key opening it on those floors, but some runs you get a lot of money early so it's nice that they're still there early. Being able to find the secret room really helps with money, which is generally pretty easy once you've done it a few times.

And yeah the aesthetic is dumb but you kind of stop noticing it.

I found watching a few runs by some streamers really helped me figure out how to play the game correctly. I think Sinvicta is probably the least annoying of the big names. Of course there are a ton of roguelites out there so if you don't like this one there's no need to force yourself.

I'd say the absolute run killers are cursed eye and dunces cap myself, though I'd give you curse of the tower hurts a lot more runs than it helps. I kind of like it anyway. Ludovico Technique I'd say I find more annoying than bad most of the time, especially if you get it early enough in a run that you hadnt already tricked out your tears to a ridiculous degree.

I will add though that when I was starting the game, Dead Cat was an absolute run killer for me. I just couldnt reliably kill any of the bosses without taking 2 hits. But when I'd played enough to learn their patterns it was much less of a big deal. There are probably a few other items like that too, but thats the one I remember as it was such a change from "Never take" to "take if you already have at least one guppy item, the risk is worth the chance of the transformation" to "Just take it, its good".

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The bit in Majora's Mask where you have to run tedious fetch quests for Gibdos to open doors in a well can gently caress right off. I've been running all over Termina getting goddamn milk, beans, fish and whatnot. They're zombies what do they even want them for.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Terraria has two new bosses and the one thats actually worth doing requires you to find a bug at night and kill it and the bug is incredibly rare to find and also doesn't seem to be affected by enemy spawn boosters, also you want to capture it instead for reasons. To make it worse they know that its a pain in the rear end to find because in journey mode instead of the usual 3 boss items to research for duplication it only takes 1, making it clear they know how exactly how annoying it is.

On that note the first new boss is incredibly overtuned, despite being meant to be fought earlier its way way harder than the mechanical bosses because it just flies all over the place and spews enemies and projectiles and erratically bouncing projectiles on just normal that it feels like they accidentally gave it its expert mode attacks on normal.

Zoig has a new favorite as of 15:19 on May 19, 2020

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao

Necrothatcher posted:

The bit in Majora's Mask where you have to run tedious fetch quests for Gibdos to open doors in a well can gently caress right off. I've been running all over Termina getting goddamn milk, beans, fish and whatnot. They're zombies what do they even want them for.

That whole section drove me nuts when I played the game earnestly for the first time a few years ago. I had the same problem you did getting milk, beans, fish, rupees, etc. And then made it all the way through to the end of the area, and find out you also need a stupid Goron Keg to get in. ONE MORE TRIP OUT INTO THE WORLD. If you don't have a guide or anything it's literally 'go into the room, find out what it needs, go get it, check the next room, etc.'

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

SiKboy posted:

I'd say the absolute run killers are cursed eye and dunces cap myself, though I'd give you curse of the tower hurts a lot more runs than it helps. I kind of like it anyway. Ludovico Technique I'd say I find more annoying than bad most of the time, especially if you get it early enough in a run that you hadnt already tricked out your tears to a ridiculous degree.

I will add though that when I was starting the game, Dead Cat was an absolute run killer for me. I just couldnt reliably kill any of the bosses without taking 2 hits. But when I'd played enough to learn their patterns it was much less of a big deal. There are probably a few other items like that too, but thats the one I remember as it was such a change from "Never take" to "take if you already have at least one guppy item, the risk is worth the chance of the transformation" to "Just take it, its good".

Totally forgot about the dunce cap since it's mercifully rare, but yeah that's absolutely one. Maybe I just suck at the Ludovico Technique but it generally makes my room clear times skyrocket and makes it hard for me to defend myself. The only time I'd take it is if you already had brimstone which has only actually happened to me once. Run killer is maybe a bit too harsh for curse of the tower, but aside from one glorious greedier run where I got it + pyromaniac on the first floor it always hurts me way more than it helps.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

SiKboy posted:

Cursed Eye is great if you get black candle. Dead Cat is more of an enabler item in that it makes devil deals no brainers most of the time.

If you have both DLCs, I can't recommmend the mod External Item Descriptions enough. It's so incredibly helpful.

Isaac's real problems: There's like fifty items that are just +health. And the DLC bosses are neat and have interesting attack patterns, but also have adaptive damage reduction so you "can't kill them too fast". In a game that's all about getting ridiculous item combinations that do hilariously broken things.

JackSplater has a new favorite as of 17:19 on May 19, 2020

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

The Moon Monster posted:

Totally forgot about the dunce cap since it's mercifully rare, but yeah that's absolutely one. Maybe I just suck at the Ludovico Technique but it generally makes my room clear times skyrocket and makes it hard for me to defend myself. The only time I'd take it is if you already had brimstone which has only actually happened to me once. Run killer is maybe a bit too harsh for curse of the tower, but aside from one glorious greedier run where I got it + pyromaniac on the first floor it always hurts me way more than it helps.

I mean, you arent wrong about Curse of the Tower, I just kind of enjoy the short lived chaos (and if you get it with pyromaniac or Host Hat its a real good time). Ludovico Technique lives and dies by what other tear boosts you get, it can be ludicrously powerful with the right other boosts, but there are also a bunch of good items that just suck with Ludovico Technique. I can usually do okay with it, but it doesnt ever make a run more fun, and some room layouts are an absolute nightmare with it.

Oh, I also more or less immediately quit any run where I accidently pick up... I cant remember the name of it, but it gives you a crosshair on the screen which you constantly fire tears towards. Its not objectively terrible, but I just absolutely loathe it.

JackSplater posted:

Cursed Eye is great if you get black candle. Dead Cat is more of an enabler item in that it makes devil deals no brainers most of the time.

If you have both DLCs, I can't recommmend the mod External Item Descriptions enough. It's so incredibly helpful.

Isaac's real problems: There's like fifty items that are just +health. And the DLC bosses are neat and have interesting attack patterns, but also have adaptive damage reduction so you "can't kill them too fast". In a game that's all about getting ridiculous item combinations that do hilariously broken things.

I'd agree on those as being real problems. The item pool is bloated as all hell at this point, with many items just being strictly superior to others. For example there is an item which lets you carry an extra pill, and an item which lets you carry an extra card. Both of which are strictly inferior to the item(s? I think there are two now?) which let you carry an extra card OR pill. And so many different +1 health items, all inferior to the +1 health (and a stat boost) items. Some of this is due to different rarities, but honestly that doesnt make "Oh, I got another +1 health" feel any better. Its not bad, its just not interesting.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

SiKboy posted:

Oh, I also more or less immediately quit any run where I accidently pick up... I cant remember the name of it, but it gives you a crosshair on the screen which you constantly fire tears towards. Its not objectively terrible, but I just absolutely loathe it.

Marked. It's an item that most of the time is terrible, but as with a lot of items there are situations it's amazing. Epic Fetus comes to mind. And Cursed Eye, since it removes the negative effect.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

It should really have an option to start with just base Isaac and then add/subtract expansions at whim. Because there's entirely too much to wrap my head around

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

JackSplater posted:

I still won't take cursed eye with black candle. True it's not a run killer at that point, but I hate the whole charge mechanic. Playing on the switch I end up with sore thumbs after a run with any charge item that's less powerful than Tech X or Brimstone. Speaking of, one of the things dragging the game down on the switch is that I can't use a "no curses" mod.

SiKboy posted:

I'd agree on those as being real problems. The item pool is bloated as all hell at this point, with many items just being strictly superior to others. For example there is an item which lets you carry an extra pill, and an item which lets you carry an extra card. Both of which are strictly inferior to the item(s? I think there are two now?) which let you carry an extra card OR pill. And so many different +1 health items, all inferior to the +1 health (and a stat boost) items. Some of this is due to different rarities, but honestly that doesnt make "Oh, I got another +1 health" feel any better. Its not bad, its just not interesting.

That's Marked, and yeah it's poo poo. It's basically a variant on the same idea as the Ludovico Technique but it doesn't get most of the advantages.

The hold extra consumables items don't quite work like that. Little Baggy lets you hold two consumables AND turns all consumables into pills. The Starter Deck does the same thing but turns all consumables into cards. The other two just let you hold both. IMO it's not really a problem since the two neutral ones appear in different item pools so you interact with them in different ways.

But yeah, the item pool is majorly bloated. There are a huge number of duds in the active item pool in particular. Like pretty much all of the bean items other than Wait What, which feels like it was created as commentary on how the bean items suck.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

The Moon Monster posted:

Like pretty much all of the bean items other than Wait What, which feels like it was created as commentary on how the bean items suck.

If memory serves, the devs asked "What's the worst item in Isaac" in a poll, and butter bean won, so they made Wait What.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I'm not a fan of the game, but I'm curious, what makes the beans so terrible?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Leavemywife posted:

I'm not a fan of the game, but I'm curious, what makes the beans so terrible?

Most of the beans are active use items that make you fart on command. When other active use items typically have extravagant effects that will clear the screen or teleport you around, temporarily poisoning an enemy and kinda knocking back their bullets is so far down the usefulness scale that if I see a bean in the first item room of the game, I'll just restart the run.

EDIT: I should also add that I typically do runs with the 1 HP character. So he starts with an active use item that doubles his damage for a single room.

DoubleNegative has a new favorite as of 01:31 on May 20, 2020

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

They're all active items which means you can only hold one of them and they require you to charge them over the course of a few rooms. The effect when you use them is that you fart which, depending on the bean, has a variety of different effects like poison, charm, or knockback. You have to get pretty close to enemies in Isaac to use them which is dangerous and often not particularly worth it since you'll (almost) always inherently have a ranged attack. They're all super underwhelming and you'll almost certainly be able to find a better active item without much difficulty.

Wait What looks exactly like the butter bean (in fact if you pick up and put down the butter bean enough it will become wait what) but it recharges automatically after a few seconds (instead of a few room clears) and has a shockwave effect that deals damage and can destroy bomb-able objects like rocks and walls so it's much more useful. It's still only high-mid tier as far as actives go though.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

In my brief time with Isaac i seldom got an item for that slot but man was i drowning in batteries

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

DoubleNegative posted:

Most of the beans are active use items that make you fart on command.

How hosed up is it that this is a negative

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Len posted:

In my brief time with Isaac i seldom got an item for that slot but man was i drowning in batteries

A lot of characters start with them (all of them except ???'s better than the beans) but you have to unlock the characters and in some cases unlock the active items for them as well.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

SiKboy posted:

The health economy in Binding of Isaac is deceptively complex and the game does not hint at it whatsoever. If you're playing "correctly", Nine Lives should almost never leave you with 1 HP, because you should have a buffer of soul/black hearts on top of your red HP.

Similarly, all the redundant +1 HP items can actually be very, very exciting if you're playing all your cards right thanks to devil deals.

DoubleNegative posted:

Most of the beans are active use items that make you fart on command. When other active use items typically have extravagant effects that will clear the screen or teleport you around, temporarily poisoning an enemy and kinda knocking back their bullets is so far down the usefulness scale that if I see a bean in the first item room of the game, I'll just restart the run.

EDIT: I should also add that I typically do runs with the 1 HP character. So he starts with an active use item that doubles his damage for a single room.

Honestly I can see scenarios where Butter Bean could save your rear end. And The Bean's damage potential isn't completely terrible, though the once-per-room charge isn't ideal. Mega Bean can act as a lesser Wait, What? in a pinch. Kidney Bean...ehhh...I think status effects are underrated but that one's probably the hardest to use correctly or get the best outcome from.

Really what it comes down to is that barring a really odd run (not impossible to have if you're playing the fully randomized character, Eden, but still very unlikely) if you enter an item room past maybe the first two floors and you see a bean item, it will not represent a significant boost in power nor a win condition.

Seconding the recommendation to watch some Isaac streamers btw. You will learn all sorts of poo poo from Eden streakers.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 02:05 on May 20, 2020

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

If the game doesn't explain itself well enough to play it without watching streamers I'm going to move onto the many other games in my backlog that do.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Len posted:

If the game doesn't explain itself well enough to play it without watching streamers I'm going to move onto the many other games in my backlog that do.

You can win Isaac runs without using a single outside source for information. Just like you can make it through Dark Souls blind with enough effort. But there's no getting around the fact that system mastery has an enormous impact on how you play the game and your chances of success.

This isn't a defense, btw. I actually hate when games rely too much on system mastery. But I also just happen to enjoy watching streams and end up internalizing stuff so. :shrug:

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

John Murdoch posted:

You can win Isaac runs without using a single outside source for information. Just like you can make it through Dark Souls blind with enough effort. But there's no getting around the fact that system mastery has an enormous impact on how you play the game and your chances of success.

This isn't a defense, btw. I actually hate when games rely too much on system mastery. But I also just happen to enjoy watching streams and end up internalizing stuff so. :shrug:

To harp back on about the surge 2, it's onboarding was rather good. I wish there had been a bit more time taken to explain some mechanics thought enemies that were even more vulnerable to counters. But in very glad I stuck with it for a great accessible souls like

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Jestery posted:

To harp back on about the surge 2, it's onboarding was rather good. I wish there had been a bit more time taken to explain some mechanics thought enemies that were even more vulnerable to counters. But in very glad I stuck with it for a great accessible souls like

It took me a few hours to get to the prompt where it actually explains how to parry. After that, the game was golden. That and restarting to get the implant that gives you 30 damage on getting hit.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Post poste posted:

It took me a few hours to get to the prompt where it actually explains how to parry. After that, the game was golden. That and restarting to get the implant that gives you 30 damage on getting hit.

30 energy. I stacked that with a bunch of other things until my opponents' pitiful attempts to hurt me would only make me MORE POWERFUL.
(Literally. Taking a hit would give me more energy than it cost to heal said hit.)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Halo 1 was too difficult for me on Normal but not challenging enough on Easy. I guess I probably wasn't playing it 'right' or at least the way it expects you to, but the last 3 or so levels are just totally brutal. Huge fights with 20 enemies and a half dozen of those little dudes almost entirely in the open and they'll just sit there instead of coming to you so you gotta pop out and zig zag in their direction... followed by even huger fights of approximately one million gribbly zombiemen in a one Master Chief wide hallway pouring at you so you have to strafe backwards like it's Serious Sam.

I really don't get what the game wanted out of me, especially when they started to give enemies rockets that can just kill you in one hit from full health and shields. I realize criticizing a 20 year old game isn't really conducive to anything but it would've been nice if you could carry 2 or 3 medpacks with you like FEAR. Instead you have to wait for the game to GIVE you medpacks and you can't take them with you so if you lose that health again tough luck. Mechanically I think the game holds up very well but there are a few things about it that could've been improved that have nothing to do with its age.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 06:23 on May 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

CJacobs posted:

Halo 1 was too difficult for me on Normal but not challenging enough on Easy. I guess I probably wasn't playing it 'right' or at least the way it expects you to, but the last 3 or so levels are just totally brutal. Huge fights with 20 enemies and a half dozen of those little dudes almost entirely in the open and they'll just sit there instead of coming to you so you gotta pop out and zig zag in their direction... followed by even huger fights of approximately one million gribbly zombiemen in a one Master Chief wide hallway pouring at you so you have to strafe backwards like it's Serious Sam.

Bullets do more damage to flesh and lasers do more damage to shields.
If you understood that, I got nothin'. The Library is the worst level in the game and the Flood with rockets are the worst part of it.