Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

GunnerJ posted:

Oh man who has the link to the full version of this some fan did, definitely the best fan content for a work of media ever produced.

edit: https://archiveofourown.org/works/2427119/chapters/5371283

Pony Pals LMFAO

Literal tears running down my face when I read that.

OK so Terezi is about to crash the ship so I guess I'm doing this HS2 bullshit

e: pointing out that Pony Pals picked President PI Tom Selleck for 2020 I mean would be an improvement over the Apprentice guy lol

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

quote:

The Canon de 8 Gribeauval or 8-pounder was a French cannon and part of the Gribeauval system developed by Jean Baptiste Vaquette de Gribeauval. The Old French pound (French: livre) was 1.07916 English pounds, making the weight of shot about 8.633 English pounds (or 8 lb 10 oz). The 8-pounder was the medium weight cannon of the French field artillery

i learned something to-day

its kind of in keeping with the running joke that vriska does not know a single thing about sailing a ship that her octets produce field artillery

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Plom Bar posted:

Apparently this was in the works as far back as December of 2018. And was definitely Hussie's idea. So we can't really pin this on fan writers.

Anyway, everything before the Yiffy reveal is dynamite.

I need this source home-slice

Logged onto discord to "Why did jade and rose have to gently caress when ectobiology is a thing" and it just spiraled out of control from there.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I totally believe it's Hussie. It has the exact same energy as the stuff with "actually, Mark Twain caused Hitler's rise to power" in the Skaianet Systems logs. Just goofy, provocative silliness that tweaks the nose of the audience by doing exactly what they don't (think they) want. Normally he spins that into gold, but he misses on occasion, and I think this is one of those times.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Handily, the latest Patreon-only content has dropped; it's a conversation between Hussie and Dirk, and Hussie makes it clear that Yiffany is his idea and he loves her. BTW, here's a silhouette of Yiffany.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
That's just Karkat's hair but tilted 45 degrees or so.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm ready to love Yiffy. I temporarily reserve the second-best new kid spot for her (Harry Anderson gets number 1).

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Zeruel posted:

I need this source home-slice

Will you accept a primary source, or will you say "oh she's just lying"?

https://twitter.com/gamblignant8/status/1255145261090762756?s=20

I've been saying this for about *checks watch* 4-5 years now, but y'all really gotta get it out of your heads that Hussie is the sole arbiter of Good Homestuck Content and anything that you, personally, don't like or vibe with must be the result of insidious outside influence of Hussie's Flawless Vision

Plom Bar fucked around with this message at 07:35 on May 1, 2020

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Anyway today's bonus update is some good poo poo

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Plom Bar posted:

I've been saying this for about *checks watch* 4-5 years now, but y'all really gotta get it out of your heads that Hussie is the sole arbiter of Good Homestuck Content and anything that you, personally, don't like or vibe with must be the result of insidious outside influence of Hussie's Flawless Vision

Hey I resent that accusation, I've been say Hussie is capable of writing lovely stuff that sucks for years. :colbert:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
who on earth thinks this is bad?

it's impossibly dumb, incredibly weird, and takes the shift in focus from friendship and the apocalypse (and kids) to relationships and trauma (and maybe kids sorta) to an absurd endpoint

it owns, it's the funniest thing homestuck's done in years, it's gleefully irreverent and treats the story with the exact amount of seriousness it deserves at this stage (that is, none)

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Patreon has commentary on the sequence.

"Alright, the final Yiffy sequence. Here's where we hear the bulk of her background, in all its wonderment and stupidity. I actually have remarkably little to say about this, other than the fact that I feel pretty good about the whole thing. There's a particular kind of euphoria that comes from having made something that severely pisses thousands of people off, and dear reader, I've been clinging to that euphoria in these dark days.

If you're reading this later on, you'll already be confused at this, because you will have fallen in love with Yiffy so completely and utterly that the idea of anyone saying a bad word against her will seem totally infeasible. This is my prophetic vision. And with that, thanks for reading! See you next time."

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Also from the commentary:

quote:

Quite a lot of people were very sad about the Dirk Strider memorial effigy. Me too. I was crying when I wrote that. It could, however, have been significantly worse: originally it was going to be the Dirk Strider memorial pinata. I changed it because contrary to what the internet will tell you, I am not a loving monster.
Aaaaand boom, there it is. Yiffy has been teased at last. Reading this after the fact, I'm sure you have Opinions about this development. Let me assure you that whatever emotion you're feeling right now, we all felt in spades back when we first heard that we had to include this in the story. Yiffy was a non-negotiable plot point, a solid nugget of patented Hussnasty bullshit integral to the HS^2 experience.
Making these panels was a bit more of a pain than I anticipated. The original font used was a variety of Lucida Console called "Semi-Condensed", which was bundled with Windows XP. As far as I can tell, it literally does not exist any more. So what I had to do was use Photoshop's text settings to modify the regular Lucida Console font to match the one that appears in Homestuck. If anyone wants those settings, I have saved them and can include a screenshot in a concept art bundle. I'm sure literally thousands of people will be interested to see this. But seriously, it was an important detail to get right, because otherwise thousands of people would have GENUINELY gotten extremely mad at me. Homestuck is just like that.

Note that who is the "I" in commentary is not revealed, but seems to switch regularly. I loved the Lucida nugget. How does Homestuck cope with changes in technology since it began? See, for instance, the death of Flash. (Commentary also says that they aren't doing Flash any more, with the reasons explained at the beginning of HS^2.)

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Is there somewhere I can easily read all the bonus/patreon update (other than patreon, hussie got all of my money back in the kickstarter)? I basically know how nothing works that is not served directly at the homestuck2 page.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I would love to see what Hussie thinks is the reason Yiffy made readers mad, because this whole epilogue and onward seems to be just addressing the complaints of the loudest people.

Homestuck didn’t fail to stick the landing because of too little fluffy character moments or too little major plot developments.

Also this thread loved Zack’s finale for Paradox Space, so we’ve known that other people can do Homestuck right :colbert:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

subpar anachronism posted:

Is there somewhere I can easily read all the bonus/patreon update (other than patreon, hussie got all of my money back in the kickstarter)? I basically know how nothing works that is not served directly at the homestuck2 page.

That seems kinda :filez: to me. This is new content, explicitly produced to encourage ongoing financial support.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Pants Donkey posted:

I would love to see what Hussie thinks is the reason Yiffy made readers mad, because this whole epilogue and onward seems to be just addressing the complaints of the loudest people.

Hussie loves tweaking the noses of people who take the characters very seriously with ridiculous dramatic twists.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
I'm disappointed they bothered with this Patreon update, they really knocked the sails out of the twist later on.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
The twist being off-camera mentioned in a single Prose sentence will take the wind out of the sails of the twist.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That seems kinda :filez: to me. This is new content, explicitly produced to encourage ongoing financial support.

I didn't realize it was exclusive to Patreon, sorry. I was under the impression only the newer stuff was, then was released later elsewhere.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Update! drat, I love the new kids. And I'm glad Kanaya isn't as blasé as all that. Jane was disturbingly hot as she villained over her shoulder at Yiffy when exiting.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

More focus on the new kids is good.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
This one felt very weird and unsettling, but I liked it because it kind of helped differentiate Homestuck2 in my mind from Homestuck original.

Good update.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Something weird is clearly happening, but I'm getting a little tried of waiting to see what that is.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Something weird is clearly happening, but I'm getting a little tried of waiting to see what that is.

I went back to see when this thing started and it's been running for six loving months by now, good god. Nearly seven. The pace is unaccountably glacial, particularly for something that's mostly text and hasn't even had any complex bits production-wise.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Did anybody catch the reference to John hating the word "cute"? Like, does that point back to something we saw happen?

Also, nothing feels weird yet to me, in the Candy timeline; it just feels like everybody (except Jane) digging out from their Epilogue low points, and introducing the new set of kids. Not much happened in Acts 1-2, either.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Did anybody catch the reference to John hating the word "cute"? Like, does that point back to something we saw happen?

Also, nothing feels weird yet to me, in the Candy timeline; it just feels like everybody (except Jane) digging out from their Epilogue low points, and introducing the new set of kids. Not much happened in Acts 1-2, either.

It's the last thing Terezi wrote himk in that timeline.

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
:nyan:

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Figured it was more foreshadowing for June. No one seems to have brought it up on Tumblr either, though I may have just missed it among one million Yiffany posts. Goddamn did they do a 180 on that dog girl.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Jane was disturbingly hot as she villained

:thunk:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

The over-the-shoulder shot in the tight skirt? That was just as intentional as any of Brain Ghost Dirk's poses.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

iirc there are a couple horny-tinged descriptions of adult Jane in the epilogues so that's not without precedent, at least

when Homestuck started I was in my mid-20s so the teen stuff didn't really connect for me like it seems to have for folks who are in their mid-20s circa now

seeing these characters grappling with early middle age while also dealing with whatever bullshit nonsense Hussie et al throws at them, tho, gives me new appreciation for what this must have felt like to read Homestuck at abt the same age as the characters

until last year I was not expecting "lets see what these kids are like in their 30s" but it's cool to see it, and gratifying to see things mirrored from my social group's experience navigating being a bunch of young-olds

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
35 year old john egbert stands alone in his room and thinks "i should start a podcast"

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

paranoid randroid posted:

35 year old john egbert stands alone in his room and thinks "i should start a podcast"

Chappo Trapped in House

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Bilirubin posted:

Chappo Trapped in House

sollux is definitely the felix in this situation

thii2 fuckiing 2uck2 dude

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Matt is Karkat. Just listen to his legendary McMargle rant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r752os2uUgI

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
this all feels spectacularly cursed. i regret my involvement.

homestuck.txt

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I really would not have batted an eyelash at homestucks slapping the poo poo out of each other if I had not read the content warning, I have to stop reading those

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Same.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Server management is hard.

quote:

So, quick rundown:

mspaintadventures.com used to connect to a real life server, which would redirect certain URLs to homestuck.com (pages) and normally serve the rest of assets.
homestuck.com developers used some mspaintadventures.com assets (not pages) while developing their website, and forgot to fix the problem.
Within the last few days, Andrew Hussie unlinked mspa.com to the server and directed it to the homestuck.com server. Redirection is now handled on their side. Unfortunately, this has broken a lot of things.

So, what is broken?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Pu0GeFTCj_juo5KBDOWd20gf4O3_8HDMM54Y7JZ6wrs/edit#heading=h.oto9nytdflga

Here's a list of what was broken before the mspa server became inaccessible. With this change, many of the latent issues have turned into catastrophic failures.

In particular, these are new issues:

Alterniabound has no music, because the files were hosted on mspa.com. https://www.homestuck.com/story/2792
The muffled Dave/Terezi pesterlog is fully broken now. https://www.homestuck.com/story/7934
I AM ALREADY HERE and other Lord English text seems to be gone (hover over the banners). https://www.homestuck.com/story/4079
Missing images in general in dialogue such as this.
The hidden links to Pony, Pony2, and Darkcage2 (the flashing icons in the corner of the flashes at the end of the animations) are broken. Example: https://www.homestuck.com/story/938
Any old SBAHJ URLs no longer work. Example: http://www.mspaintadventures.com/sweetbroandhellajeff/?cid=044.jpg. The redirect is screwed up.
The test_index "exploit" that fans used to read Homestuck as it was originally designed no longer works. Example: http://www.mspaintadventures.com/test_index.php?s=6&p=001901.
Retcon listings are broken. https://www.homestuck.com/oilretcon.html
The first easter egg song of the Phat Beat Machine is also gone. The Trickster mode music of the first walking flash is also missing.
The Damara translation file is gone.
Almost all the flashes were "temporarily" mirrored at 360p on youtube. They haven't been fixed in years. This is a terrible alternative to Flash, and they probably should be reuploaded at a higher resolution, ideally 1080p or at a good enough bitrate in 720p.
A bunch more stuff that we surely haven't found, and a lot of stuff that's in direr danger now than ever, i.e. anything that relies on the mspa.com domain being up. If it ever goes down, Homestuck will become unreadable, as at least two pages rely on the redirect being up. Additionally, some pages don't even have a non-flash alternative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life_source
May 11, 2008

quote:

Homestuck will become unreadable,

maybe... maybe thats....

no, no, never mind me