Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Solice Kirsk posted:

Are trucks a spectrum now too?

Have been for a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Solice Kirsk posted:

Are trucks a spectrum now too?

no, its a model of car.

made by ford tho

E: gently caress, made by chevy

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Trucks are a type of sandwich

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Trucks are a type of sandwich

I'll fuckle a truck, but I won't fuckle a sandwich.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I like my trucks well done, with ketchup :colbert:

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

SubponticatePoster posted:

"Experts said it was the first time a terrorism charge had been laid over violence tied to incels, a term that refers to self-described “involuntary celibates.”"

Even terrorism charges get laid before they do :laugh:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

I swear I've seen this post years ago.

The funny thing is that he's not wrong, and that's kind of exactly what the counselor is talking about; the way people form mental images and definitions of things from the moment they're born.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Isn't that just pattern recognition? Something almost every species develops in some capacity? It feels like a very underwhelming observation.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Outrail posted:

Isn't that just pattern recognition? Something almost every species develops in some capacity? It feels like a very underwhelming observation.

Yes, the simplicity of the idea helps explain the concept of psychological stereotypes within the context of the story.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Outrail posted:

It sounds more like she was describing a basic Platonic theory of forms but realised she had to dumb it down a lot for the sake of the goon, but still overestimated him.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Outrail posted:

I think she’s just dumbing it down for him, but yes, other species do it too. There was a study from MIT that looked at this sort of by accident, because what it was originally focused on was roadkill. Somebody noticed that crows were getting hit by trucks on the Mass Turnpike at higher rates than you’d expect, so they did some field study to figure out why. It had to do with pattern recognition and murder behavior (murder of crows, I mean), and how they set “watchcrows” to warn the group of danger while they fed on other roadkill. Crows can definitely tell the difference between trucks and cars, and it turned out that trucks were more dangerous because none of the Boston watchcrows could say “TRUCK!” but of course they could all say “CAH, CAH, CAH”

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Pirate Radar posted:

I think she’s just dumbing it down for him, but yes, other species do it too. There was a study from MIT that looked at this sort of by accident, because what it was originally focused on was roadkill. Somebody noticed that crows were getting hit by trucks on the Mass Turnpike at higher rates than you’d expect, so they did some field study to figure out why. It had to do with pattern recognition and murder behavior (murder of crows, I mean), and how they set “watchcrows” to warn the group of danger while they fed on other roadkill. Crows can definitely tell the difference between trucks and cars, and it turned out that trucks were more dangerous because none of the Boston watchcrows could say “TRUCK!” but of course they could all say “CAH, CAH, CAH”

Aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I like my trucks well done, with ketchup :colbert:

Truck circumcision is mutilation.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Fuck yeah cinema is finally dead

Pirate Radar posted:

This is an act of violence

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Pirate Radar posted:

BOOOOOOOOO

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pirate Radar posted:

You fucker.... :stare:.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Pirate Radar posted:

Well sonofabitch

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Pirate Radar posted:

loving legendary

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Pirate Radar posted:

:lmao:

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Pirate Radar posted:

:trumppop:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

SubponticatePoster posted:

"Experts said it was the first time a terrorism charge had been laid over violence tied to incels, a term that refers to self-described “involuntary celibates.”"

Even terrorism charges get laid before they do :laugh:

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Pirate Radar posted:

Thank you for ruining my day.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Haters vacate, this is great
:discourse:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Pirate Radar posted:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
That's a top tier joke

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
goddamn, hoss, and you even posted it in the quotes thread and saved me the trouble

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

I, too, navigate primarily using the screams stemming from the horror of my own existence

purple death ray posted:

echolamentation

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
Am I the only person on this site who’d heard that joke before?

I don’t mean to be a wet blanket, but at this point I’m genuinely curious. It’s been going around a long time. Maybe it’s such a groaner that no one can bear to repeat it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've heard it before too, but what I appreciated isn't the joke per se (it is a good joke), it's deploying it into a conversation that's already talking about pattern recognition and trucks, and watching everyone hit the ground face first when Pirate Radar pulls the rug out from under 'em

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Trucks: it's all about delivery.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Phy posted:

I've heard it before too, but what I appreciated isn't the joke per se (it is a good joke), it's deploying it into a conversation that's already talking about pattern recognition and trucks, and watching everyone hit the ground face first when Pirate Radar pulls the rug out from under 'em

It’s much more effective when you work it into a seemingly regular conversation. Some versions of it write the last line like “all of them could say CAH CAH CAH but none of them could say TRUCK!” which is wrong, the CAH CAH CAH has to be the last thing you say because people won’t really be listening to anything after that

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Captain Hygiene posted:

I, too, navigate primarily using the screams stemming from the horror of my own existence

purple death ray posted:

echolamentation

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Am I the only person on this site who’d heard that joke before?

I don’t mean to be a wet blanket, but at this point I’m genuinely curious. It’s been going around a long time. Maybe it’s such a groaner that no one can bear to repeat it.
The joke is old, but it's all about the delivery. The seamless transition between a seemingly serious post into a dad joke is what makes it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

So you all didn’t recognise the joke till it was too late. :ms:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Platystemon posted:

Why are you like this?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Platystemon posted:

Yes, much like your mother.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Maybe most people are slower than you at recognizing jokes because they don’t see one in the mirror every day

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

If you all recognised jokes faster, I wouldn’t have to tell you to turn on your monitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Platystemon posted:

If you all recognised jokes faster, I wouldn’t have to tell you to turn on your monitor.

I won’t be crass like the other poster and suggest your mother is slow with jokes, after all, she got the fastest joke of all time 9 months before you were born