Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I don't know if this is the best place to ask, but I'll start here first.

My TV has lovely speakers and I would like to use my headphones. My TV only has an optical out for sound. I bought a Digital to Analog Audio Converter to convert the optical to be able to use my 3.5mm headphones, and it works but there's no volume control. I can't lower the volume through my TV and I can't lower the volume with the device I'm trying to use, an Analogue Super NT.

Would something like this solve the issue?: https://www.amazon.com/iLuv-i111-Sp...89772475&sr=8-4

Or should I return the Digital to Analogue Audio Converter and go with some other solution? I'm pretty sure my TV supports bluetooth devices/speakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That thing will work. I’ve had issues with cheap inline volume controls before, but it has good reviews and is cheap so give it a shot. I’d probably just return it and get a headphone amp/dac thing or use the Bluetooth myself so not to have to deal with the inline control.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Is it worth getting a separate streamer/network player or just using a (reasonabl spec) bluetooth audio adapter and casting from my phone?

I have a separate amp/cd player and bookshelf speakers and I could get a full on separate streaming unit to go alongside it (though the streamer alone would cost more than the rest of the set did because it's about 13 years old) because I haven't bought an actual CD in ages and could use it for internet radio as well, but I guess all I get over a straight bluetooth audio adapter is better DACs, a fancy case, a controller app that probably sucks and the theoretical ability to use it without control from a phone if it's got a display built in.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I'm an idiot and didn't realize they sell the same thing I bought originally WITH volume adjustment as an option. I guess I just didn't realize I would need it before I tried it out.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Is it worth getting a separate streamer/network player or just using a (reasonabl spec) bluetooth audio adapter and casting from my phone?

I have a separate amp/cd player and bookshelf speakers and I could get a full on separate streaming unit to go alongside it (though the streamer alone would cost more than the rest of the set did because it's about 13 years old) because I haven't bought an actual CD in ages and could use it for internet radio as well, but I guess all I get over a straight bluetooth audio adapter is better DACs, a fancy case, a controller app that probably sucks and the theoretical ability to use it without control from a phone if it's got a display built in.

Advantages over bluetooth are : better audio quality [although bluetooth improves with each new version], more range, the ability to operate away from your phone and do stuff on your phone while you're streaming that won't play over the stereo, the ability to stream a local library from a computer/NAS, the ability to do multi-room playback, integration with Chromecast/Airplay. These may be more or less relevant to you. The stereo component ones are all overpriced IMO, like you could buy a nice new receiver with streaming built in for less than what most of them cost. Affordable options would be getting a Chromecast Audio from eBay [>$50], the Dayton WBA28 [$84] or building a Raspberry pi with an audio board and Volumio [~$100]. You may be able to get a good deal on an old Sonos ZonePlayer or Pre-2015 Connect because they're going into a legacy functionality penalty box this summer but all you're really missing is high res and integration with newer Sonos gear which won't be an issue if you're not planning to build that out. If I was starting from scratch I'd take a closer look at the Dayton since it's 1/4 the price of a Sonos Port which is the next least expensive and seems to have most of the functionality of larger stuff. I'd guess there's some significant quirks/drawbacks at that price point but it might be worth a shot.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

qirex posted:

Advantages over bluetooth are : better audio quality [although bluetooth improves with each new version], more range, the ability to operate away from your phone and do stuff on your phone while you're streaming that won't play over the stereo, the ability to stream a local library from a computer/NAS, the ability to do multi-room playback, integration with Chromecast/Airplay. These may be more or less relevant to you. The stereo component ones are all overpriced IMO, like you could buy a nice new receiver with streaming built in for less than what most of them cost. Affordable options would be getting a Chromecast Audio from eBay [>$50], the Dayton WBA28 [$84] or building a Raspberry pi with an audio board and Volumio [~$100]. You may be able to get a good deal on an old Sonos ZonePlayer or Pre-2015 Connect because they're going into a legacy functionality penalty box this summer but all you're really missing is high res and integration with newer Sonos gear which won't be an issue if you're not planning to build that out. If I was starting from scratch I'd take a closer look at the Dayton since it's 1/4 the price of a Sonos Port which is the next least expensive and seems to have most of the functionality of larger stuff. I'd guess there's some significant quirks/drawbacks at that price point but it might be worth a shot.

Thanks I hadn't actually looked at just replacing the amplifier with something new with streaming built in, or to be honest replacing the whole set with a decent all in one seeing as this is currently sitting in the kitchen taking up space. I also forgot that I can use casting off a raspberry pi I already have set up so don't necessarily have to use Bluetooth.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I've got a shitton of that fancy Monoprice 12AWG speaker cable.
It's alright I guess. It's nicely braided and heavy but the insulation is loving THICK and the separately insulated core strand is weird, but whatever.

Anywho, I'm looking to get some screw-type (not crimp or solder) fork spade (or ring) terminals for my 2ce that can accommodate these cables but not having much luck.
Anyone have a suggestion where I should turn to? Or am I just SOL and should go buy some crimp type terminals?

I'm not sure what the stud size is offhand but apparently the OD can be a max of 7/16".
I'll check the stud size when I get home.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
“The VTF2 is the smallest sub they make. Maybe my wife won’t even notice it!”

Sub got delivered today.

:v:

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 19, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Residency Evil posted:

“The VTF2 is the smallest sub they make. Maybe my wife won’t even notice it!”

Sub got delivered today.

:v:

Put a lamp on it and pretend it's a new end table.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

True home theatre pro wife acceptance factor is buying the subs, figuring out where they sound best and then installing them in the room above/below vented into the theatre room. Wife can't moan about a big box if she can't see it :v:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
True home theater teen answer: install the biggest sub you can under her seat so she gets all the vibrations. :shlick:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The real trick is to get a wife who complains it's not loud enough.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.

What sub?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KillHour posted:

The real trick is to get a wife who complains it's not loud enough.

I was going to say something crass but decided not to.

But man, am I glad I finally bought this HSU sub: it's fantastic! If anything, it's bringing to light that I may need to upgrade the rest of my system.

Currently, I have:

HK AVR 700 receiver
Pair of these speakers I built in college (MB1 version): http://murphyblaster.com/content.php?f=MBOW1.html
HSU VTF2 sub

I think the HK AVR 700 receiver is the next thing to upgrade? Sounds like I should just wait for an X-series Denon to go on sale?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I've got a shitton of that fancy Monoprice 12AWG speaker cable.
It's alright I guess. It's nicely braided and heavy but the insulation is loving THICK and the separately insulated core strand is weird, but whatever.

Anywho, I'm looking to get some screw-type (not crimp or solder) fork spade (or ring) terminals for my 2ce that can accommodate these cables but not having much luck.
Anyone have a suggestion where I should turn to? Or am I just SOL and should go buy some crimp type terminals?

I'm not sure what the stud size is offhand but apparently the OD can be a max of 7/16".
I'll check the stud size when I get home.

I checked and 1/4" or #10 stud is fine.
7/16" is the max possible outer diameter of the spade terminal.

I still can't seem to find anything that has screw or compression fittings for 12 AWG wire.

If nobody has any suggestions I'm probably just going to give up and find some cheap crimp terminals.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Any of these work? https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/index.htm

Their cables are all 12 or 10 guage so I assume the connectors work fine with that.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

powderific posted:

Any of these work? https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/index.htm

Their cables are all 12 or 10 guage so I assume the connectors work fine with that.

I looked at blue jeans but couldn't discern the outer diameter of the fork since they give no technical information. I'm having the same problem most other places too. It appears that everyone uses the same ~13mm+ outer diameter or doesn't specify.
I need 7/16" or around 11mm.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Thanks I hadn't actually looked at just replacing the amplifier with something new with streaming built in, or to be honest replacing the whole set with a decent all in one seeing as this is currently sitting in the kitchen taking up space. I also forgot that I can use casting off a raspberry pi I already have set up so don't necessarily have to use Bluetooth.

So I bought a Marantz "Melody X" 612 in the end, and it's not bad. A bit plasticky and I miss having a proper volume control knob, but it does do the job pretty well. CD player is a bit slow but considering a streaming separate would have cost more than the whole thing did any the CD separate I had before was dying, not bad. The Heos app is not the worst I've ever used either.

Unrelated, anyone want to buy a Cambridge audio azur amp and CD player :v: ?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm pretty sure the normal person home audio industry has gone 100% banana plugs and car audio where ring terminals are common never bothered with screw on connectors. Just buy a $20 crimping tool.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

qirex posted:

I'm pretty sure the normal person home audio industry has gone 100% banana plugs and car audio where ring terminals are common never bothered with screw on connectors. Just buy a $20 crimping tool.

Yeah I have several. I'm just gonna suck it up and get some lovely 1/4" terminals.

The reason I was looking at the screw/compression type is that they usually have deep inserts and or surrounds to go around the cable insulation.

I was hoping to have a very resilient connection (OR to at least be able to reuse the ends every time she rips the cable out) at the speaker side because my 2 year old yanks on the cables and rips them out of the ring terminals. Occasionally she chews on the cables too so I bought this big thick fuckoff cable from monoprice that is impenetrable but also has like the most ridiculous amount of insulation and weight to it.

I think I've gone through an entire 50 pack of ring terminals and my current cables are like a good 2 feet shorter than they used to be due to how many times I've had to re-crimp them.

Edit: vandersteen 2ce are great speakers but have like the absolute DUMBEST loving binding post setup on the planet.

Double edit: essentially I'd like to not have to re-crimp a cable every time I turn on the TV.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 23, 2020

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Maybe try that bitter apple stuff they use to get pets to stop chewing cables? It'll really open up the midrange too.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

qirex posted:

Maybe try that bitter apple stuff they use to get pets to stop chewing cables? It'll really open up the midrange too.

I tried hot sauce and that pet spray. I'm pretty sure it only encouraged her. The child is vicious and insatiable.
Luckily she hasn't hosed with the speakers themselves so I haven't yet resigned myself to listening to the TV with just the unintelligible built-in speakers.

I'm not really into the audiophile woo (hence the cheap rear end monoprice replacement cable with no ends) but I'm really starting to consider trading the kid in for a pair of Focal Kanta.

If I can't find buck enough spade forks, I'm just gonna use ring terminals and just enough wire to attach some 1/4" TS female connectors to the speakers, then wire a 1/4" TS male to the speaker wire back to the amp for a redneck quick-disconnect.
I was also looking for those fork spade to banana plug connectors but they're only in 90deg and I'm pretty sure she'll snap off the banana leads before she pulls them out of the back of the speaker.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

I was going to say something crass but decided not to.

But man, am I glad I finally bought this HSU sub: it's fantastic! If anything, it's bringing to light that I may need to upgrade the rest of my system.

Currently, I have:

HK AVR 700 receiver
Pair of these speakers I built in college (MB1 version): http://murphyblaster.com/content.php?f=MBOW1.html
HSU VTF2 sub

I think the HK AVR 700 receiver is the next thing to upgrade? Sounds like I should just wait for an X-series Denon to go on sale?

Seem reasonable? Those 2-way speakers aren't holding me back the most right?

zynga dot com
Nov 11, 2001

wtf jill im not a bear!!!

A dossier and a state of melted brains: The Jess campaign has it all.
I'm looking at buying a pair of floor speakers, and I'm wondering if aftermarket grills are a thing - either purchasable or DIY. We're going for a more vintage look in the living room so it'd be cool if I could swap out the black grille on a pair of walnut speakers to something grey/cream/beige-ish.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
DIY absolutely, I imagine there are some aftermarket options but it seems like it would be rare just because they would be model specific

The general thing is to make a frame and cover it will grill cloth:
https://www.parts-express.com/cat/speaker-grill-cloth-fabric/319

The frame is often routed from a sheet of MDF/plywood but you could build it like a picture frame I suppose. Magnets are a common way to attach to DIY speakers, but you'd probably want to try and match the existing hardware. You could absolutely just re-cover the existing pieces with fabric you like better.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 05:57 on May 26, 2020

zynga dot com
Nov 11, 2001

wtf jill im not a bear!!!

A dossier and a state of melted brains: The Jess campaign has it all.
Thanks, that’s exactly what I was looking for! I’ll wait until the speakers come to see how I want to actually approach it, but it’s nice to know I don’t need to worry about having to find that color combo at the start.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

zynga dot com posted:

I'm looking at buying a pair of floor speakers, and I'm wondering if aftermarket grills are a thing - either purchasable or DIY. We're going for a more vintage look in the living room so it'd be cool if I could swap out the black grille on a pair of walnut speakers to something grey/cream/beige-ish.

I just bought some of that "PREMIUM" Speaker Grill Cloth from Parts Express.
https://www.parts-express.com/mellotone-premium-black-speaker-grill-cloth-yard-64-wide--260-332

There's also lots of crazy options from places like Guilfords of Maine via GIK Acoustics or Soundaway Spoonflower, and Acoustimac (Printed Acoustically Transparent Fabric).

You best bet is to just get some cheap acoustically transparent fabric from JoAnn's Fabrics or from Parts Express.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Hadn't heard of Guilfords before, so much pretty stuff!

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Hey if anyone’s interested in portable stuff I noticed Best Buy Has UE Megaboom 3s for sale for $119 and they’ll give you a free (white) charging pad.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
We recently got a 4k blu ray player that's paired with an LGC9 and a 3.1 vizio speaker set. We tried watching something this evening but it sounded like a channel was missing. The TV's audio output was set to optical and the center and surround speakers sounded fine, but certain sound effects or dialogue would drop out in a strange way. When I swapped the output to TV speaker only, it all sounded right. The issue only manifested when audio was going to the external speakers over optical cable.

Do I assume I need a 5.1 set up for use with the player, or is it likely a setting is wrong somewhere? I've checked in the player and the TV's settings but don't see anything that strikes me as off.

Fifteen of Many fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 29, 2020

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Fifteen of Many posted:

We recently got a 4k blu ray player that's paired with an LGC9 and a 3.1 vizio speaker set. We tried watching something this evening but it sounded like a channel was missing. The TV's audio output was set to optical and the center and surround speakers sounded fine, but certain sound effects or dialogue would drop out in a strange way. When I swapped the output to TV speaker only, it all sounded right. The issue only manifested when audio was going to the external speakers over optical cable.

Do I assume I need a 5.1 set up for use with the player, or is it likely a setting is wrong somewhere? I've checked in the player and the TV's settings but don't see anything that strikes me as off.

Optical seems cool because lasers, but it's really old 90s tech that has trouble with modern audio codecs. If you have the option of using HDMI for your audio, I bet it'll solve your problems.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006

eddiewalker posted:

Optical seems cool because lasers, but it's really old 90s tech that has trouble with modern audio codecs. If you have the option of using HDMI for your audio, I bet it'll solve your problems.

It turns out the optical port is broken anyway (thing it broke when I unplugged it to troubleshoot) and it doesn't have an HDMI input at all so new soundbar is in the cards no matter what! Will look for an HDMI capable one and report back.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/3150924-denon-introduces-2020-x-series-avrs.html

Looks like Denon 2020 receivers are out!

The 2700 looks pretty good to me I think, especially since I only have a 2.1 system, although the 3700 may have better EQ/may be the best "value" of the line.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 4, 2020

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The new Denon series seems like a good step toward future proofing but I wonder if 8k/vrr /hdmi 2.1 first year products will have the same goddamn problems early 4k avrs did.

I just got a half price 4400 last year and am not replacing my tv soon so I’m good anyway.

On a side note I replaced my KG 4.5s with RP8000Fs yesterday, and also my surround KG 1.5s with RP502s. Very happy so far. The 502s look much cleaner since I’m not having to use a mount and they work well being mounted directly to back wall due to our setup. My wife is much happier.

The 8000s are a clear upgrade over the KG, just the amount of sound/volume they are able to push with detail and without distortion is ridiculous. The 502 will take longer to evaluate but we did watch pacific rim last night, which I know pretty well, and I would say the surround effects were both more noticeable but also more integrated into the rest of what was going on.

The KG setup was great since I got all of them like 8 years ago for $200 (along with a lovely center I didn’t use) and they are still in great condition according to my ears and the audyssey freq response graph, which seems kind of amazing for 25 year old speakers.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Dogen posted:

The new Denon series seems like a good step toward future proofing but I wonder if 8k/vrr /hdmi 2.1 first year products will have the same goddamn problems early 4k avrs did.
Everything about HDMI 2.1 seems jankier and more difficult than 2.0, I mean the biggest receiver company in the world couldn't do 2 switched inputs in time to make this model year. People suspect the 48gpbs lines need a lot more shielding which would make physical routing more difficult.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

qirex posted:

Everything about HDMI 2.1 seems jankier and more difficult than 2.0, I mean the biggest receiver company in the world couldn't do 2 switched inputs in time to make this model year. People suspect the 48gpbs lines need a lot more shielding which would make physical routing more difficult.

Yeah, this seems pretty clear now. I really just need something with 4K switching capabilities. If there's a good deal on an X3500/X3600 I might just get that, however it seems like the supply has dried up.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

qirex posted:

Yeah bandwidth being harder to achieve than anticipated seems to often be the problem in these applications. 4K UHD over 2.0 was problematic, and due to work from home I've had some exciting times jacking with Thunderbolt 3 and having to swap out lovely cables and/or cables that are too long to get poo poo to work.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Probably a dumb question but why can't they send audio/video over like, CAT6

Dogen
May 5, 2002

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Probably a dumb question but why can't they send audio/video over like, CAT6

Did you see above where the bandwidth of HDMI 2.1 is 48Gbps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Dogen posted:

Did you see above where the bandwidth of HDMI 2.1 is 48Gbps?

I assume then that that is higher than cat6