Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The weather finally feels like its gotten to a place where I can get my poo poo together so I got out to my garden today and discover mint has sprouted up everywhere! Weedy bastard!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Quick dumb question
The weather has finally stabilized here and my little green house is overflowing with plants to be transplanted. The only problem is we are expecting rain for the next week straight. Should I plant tomorrow or wait until the rain stops next week to plant. Or will all the rain be good for the little guys?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Best time to plant is right before it rains imo. Nothing beats rainwater, and a week of rain is gonna pretty well mitigate any transplant shock.

If it’s gonna be a weeklong, hurricane-sequel pounding deluge that would smash tender little seedlings maybe wait, but I think you’d be fine to plant if it’s just normal rain.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Yeah my understanding is that rain is far better for transplants than sun, so overcast and rainy days, while maybe less enjoyable for you, are excellent gardening days

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I just posted this in the plants thread, but then I saw this thread and thought it might be a better fit:

I just bought some pepper plants; cayennetta and tabasco peppers.

I got some potting soil and some compost, and a couple of 16in pots, one for each plant.

I know they need plenty of sun and plenty of water, but I'm curious if there's any other tips or tricks I might benefit from.

I grew some Thai bird's eye chilis a few years ago, and got a decent yield with just potting soil and throwing water at it when I remembered, so I'm hopeful that I get even better results from this attempt.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

There is a passing shower at the moment, so I figured I'd do a garden construction update. The main fence is done, which has a lot of joins in it because I'm recycling sections as I go. Of course I was like 7 feet short and had to cut some out of a spare section after coming up with a solution for holding the flying ends together:

So now I've got 4 sections, all joined up like this:

On to the "bunny fence". Once again recycled. I'm using an old level to throw across the fence and bend that last 3-4" out at a 90. I'd rather have more than that, but this should suffice. Should keep the smaller critters from getting over and all but the smartest ones from being able to dig under. This will be backfilled with soil over the parts on the ground:

So how to attach that fence to the existing fence? 17 gauge electric fence wire and a rebar hook.

Fold a 12-18" piece of wire in half to make a loop, put the hook in it:

Bring the flying end over the hook from the right hand side:

And pull out on the tool handle - it spins:

And you end up with a nice twist that hold everything together. This is not a nice twist because I was trying to do it one handed to take pictures:

This is how they turn out when you're doing your part properly:

When this shower passes I'll be back out to finish and then I'm down to back fill and figuring out what I want to do under the gate to serve the same purpose as this varmint fence.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Things are growing!!

After I thinned my radishes they’ve really taken off. The beets are going steady, my lettuce is little shoots, peas are coming strong, and garlic is going nuts.

My cauliflower is pretty sunburned but it’s recovering. I pinched off the dead leaves and really bad ones and that helped some.

Both tomato plants and half the chili plants went in today. 54 is the low for the next week so I think it’s time.

I need to buy another container for the rest of the peppers. And something for them and the tomatoes to grow on.

And containers for marigolds.

And marigolds. And lavender. And another container for basil.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Done with the welded wire on the fence.

The research question now is what do I do with this gate?

Obviously I'll put some of that welded wire on it down low, but I have a gap to the left and can't connect this to the ground reasonably.

Initial thoughts.... make a "threshold" out of dirt/rocks behind it (only swings out) with some more welded wire in it, buried. Add welded wire to the gate with a section hanging off to the left. Or something.

Open to ideas, but I'll come up with something that that at least kinda works and may need some rework.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Making me real self conscious and shamed about my cheap rear end plastic fence.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

Making me real self conscious and shamed about my cheap rear end plastic fence.

If I could get away with that it's exactly what I would do. No shame there.

I've got deer that will jump over 6' fence and rabbits/ground hogs/etc that will go right on through or dig under unless I do this.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
lol if you don’t have an insect‐resistant screenhouse with a positive‐pressure vestibule

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I ate the first thing from my garden today...had to thin out my radishes so I took all the ones I culled and sprinkled them on some sauteed fiddleheads as a sort of microgreen. Added a little peppery bite.

I always get a little miffed at thinning things out..I know the reason, cause you never know if you will have some bad seeds so you over sow, but I always feel guilty when nearly all of them sprout up and it feels like a waste of time and money that I planted them just to rip them up.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Got a question about grafting that I'm struggling to find any information at all on, dropping it here in case anyone has happened across this in their various travels.

We have a Loquat tree in our backyard, and I'm wondering if there is any point in trying to graft Quince onto it, for fun more than anything. Apparently Quince is a common rootstock for Loquat, so every single search I do just comes up with grafting Loquat onto Quince.

Anyone have an idea or know where I might find the info?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
I couldn’t find information about quince on loquat, either, but people have put pear and medlar on loquat, though not necessarily in the long term, and with no word on taste. Rootstock can but does not always affect taste.

More generally, graft compatibility is usually but not always commutative. Loquat on quince works, so it is likely but not guaranteed that quince on loquat works. Cultivar can be the deciding factor in marginal cases.

If you wanted to be sure someone somewhere has had success before paying for scions or whatever, you could ask on one of the forums. Houzz, the Tropical Fruit Forum, Permies, Ourfigs, and Daley’s are some places where this kind of thing comes up. I’m sure someone has done it for curiosity and just not bothered to publish the results. They lurk and will chime in if the subject comes up.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 09:11 on May 18, 2020

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Platystemon posted:

I couldn’t find information about quince on loquat, either, but people have put pear and medlar on loquat, though not necessarily in the long term, and with no word on taste. Rootstock can but does always affect taste.

More generally, graft compatibility is usually but not always commutative. Loquat on quince works, so it is likely but not guaranteed that quince on loquat works.

If you wanted to be sure someone somewhere has had success before paying for scions or whatever, you could ask on one of the forums. Houzz, the Tropical Fruit Forum, Permies, Ourfigs, and Daley’s are some places where this kind of thing comes up. I’m sure someone has done it for curiosity and just not bothered to publish the results. They lurk and will chime in if the subject comes up.

Awesome information, thanks!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

I ate the first thing from my garden today...had to thin out my radishes so I took all the ones I culled and sprinkled them on some sauteed fiddleheads as a sort of microgreen. Added a little peppery bite.

I always get a little miffed at thinning things out..I know the reason, cause you never know if you will have some bad seeds so you over sow, but I always feel guilty when nearly all of them sprout up and it feels like a waste of time and money that I planted them just to rip them up.

Counterpoint: seeds are cheap, you were planting anyway, you had microgreens to add to your sauteed fiddleheads, and all the while having insurance in case some of your seeds weren't viable. It's hard to break that mindset, but culling and thinning is part of gardening. Letting everything live overcrowded and fighting for resources is not a better option, and sowing too little is something that you can't go back in time to fix. Ya done good, kid.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Counterpoint: seeds are cheap, you were planting anyway, you had microgreens to add to your sauteed fiddleheads, and all the while having insurance in case some of your seeds weren't viable. It's hard to break that mindset, but culling and thinning is part of gardening. Letting everything live overcrowded and fighting for resources is not a better option, and sowing too little is something that you can't go back in time to fix. Ya done good, kid.

Yeah, I have to break myself of this as well.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Got my broccoli starts in yesterday, come outside today to see that uh, they all basically loving died within 16 hours or at least they’re drat close to it, all wilted and sad

Cauliflower still looking okay, though

This is my first time growing broccoli, is there some magic incantation that I missed that would have saved me here?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Sockser posted:

Got my broccoli starts in yesterday, come outside today to see that uh, they all basically loving died within 16 hours or at least they’re drat close to it, all wilted and sad

Cauliflower still looking okay, though

This is my first time growing broccoli, is there some magic incantation that I missed that would have saved me here?

Did you try water or anything else? I’ll admit I don’t know anything about broccoli starts, but I’ve found that tons of my other plants throw temper tantrums and wilt like crazy after doing pretty much anything to them and water and a bit of time (or going back in to the hotbed when they weren’t hardened off) did wonders to bring them back.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Some of my peppers are not looking great either
Did I... get bad compost from the greenhouse or something? I have never had problems starting gardens at any other place I've lived, and I'm doing all the same stuff I normally do

I suppose the tap water at my current house could also be literal poison

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Could be transplant shock if they only went in yesterday and you've sufficiently watered them. They'll probably bounce back soon, and if you can make a little shade for them while they recover it might help a bit. I'm not a broccoli-growing expert by any means, but they don't look dead at all to me. Dead plants are either crispy dry or waterlogged mush. These seem like they have a fighting chance.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Those are nowhere near dead! It's definitely some transplant shock but that should wear off soon enough.

Are you sure the roots have adequate drainage? They look a little damped off but it could go either way.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I think I’m going to be buried in eggplant soon. I’ve already had 2 foot long Japanese ones and now have a big fat black one too. Also wondering why the hell I planted 9 hills worth of squash, and what the hell Im going to do with all these radishes.

Something (squirrels?) keeps digging up my asparagus bean seedlings.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hey, look what I found in the woods: cobblestones.

Between that threshold and the stake I drove to run a bit more varmint fence everything looks pretty tight when closed.

I think construction can be considered complete now. Just got an email from Burpee that the rest of my seedlings are getting shipped.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I think I’m going to be buried in eggplant soon. I’ve already had 2 foot long Japanese ones and now have a big fat black one too. Also wondering why the hell I planted 9 hills worth of squash, and what the hell Im going to do with all these radishes.

Something (squirrels?) keeps digging up my asparagus bean seedlings.

I fail to see the problem. Fresh eggplant is wonderful. And give radishes to your neighbors, or learn how to cook them too. I love to throw them into a wok with pork and season mostly with garlic and just a little vinegar. I cook them just barely so they’re still crunchy strips.

I do hope you have space in cool storage or a freezer for all your squash (depending which squash you have). Winter squash will save well for a long time if you have a cool and dry space (or can make one). Summer squash you just eat until you feel like you can’t eat any more and then give bags of it away.

I have about one more week until I’ll have my seeds and can plant things again. And my basil and pepper starts just survived a 3 day car trip without any ill effects. Hopefully I can get some decent starts from a nursery as I could really use some more plants.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Jhet posted:

I fail to see the problem. Fresh eggplant is wonderful. And give radishes to your neighbors, or learn how to cook them too. I love to throw them into a wok with pork and season mostly with garlic and just a little vinegar. I cook them just barely so they’re still crunchy strips.

I do hope you have space in cool storage or a freezer for all your squash (depending which squash you have). Winter squash will save well for a long time if you have a cool and dry space (or can make one). Summer squash you just eat until you feel like you can’t eat any more and then give bags of it away.

I have about one more week until I’ll have my seeds and can plant things again. And my basil and pepper starts just survived a 3 day car trip without any ill effects. Hopefully I can get some decent starts from a nursery as I could really use some more plants.

PM me, I'll likely have some extra peppers and tomatoes in a week. Fred Meyer has good, cheap starters too. Nothing too exotic, but hard to beat for two bucks.

super floppy disk
Feb 21, 2004
This is my first year growing garlic, it's mostly looking good

But a few are really sad, just limped over and stunted.

Is this something I should worry about affecting the rest of my garlics? I haven't noticed any bugs or obvious signs of disease, etc. but I don't really know why these few ones are doing so bad.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

That looks like some fine garlic!

Check these guys out:
Golden pearls

One of those tomatoes I was told to prune earlier.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

My black cherry tomatoes might actually pull through. The days after I pruned the gently caress out of them we had steady rain which kept the spider mites from re-establishing themselves and in any they have to climb a whole lot further from the ground now.

Got the first few off my blueberry bushes:

And they were quite good. So many more to come.

Also I had moved my blackberry containers from one spot to another to make room for another blueberry bush, but guess what is coming up from the ground where the blackberry used to be...

😑 drat blackberry sent roots out through the drainage holes in the container which have now turned into separate blackberry bushes.

I might try to dig them up and transplant them because hey free blackberry bushes!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

😑 drat blackberry sent roots out through the drainage holes in the container which have now turned into separate blackberry bushes.

I might try to dig them up and transplant them because hey free blackberry bushes!

:ohdear: Oh no. Mint is an invasive plant and impossible to get rid of, but mint doesn't have spike vines. You may have a blackberry patch now, my friend.

B33rChiller posted:

One of those tomatoes I was told to prune earlier.

I feel like I owe you a direct apology. During my ranting about pruning tomatoes, I was coming from the perspective of cutting overgrown plants back and not about growing from seed or starter. It's a big loving difference, and I should have caught it. The good news is that is a very healthy plant and it'll probably explode if you give it a bigger pot.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

dominicds posted:

This is my first year growing garlic, it's mostly looking good

But a few are really sad, just limped over and stunted.

Is this something I should worry about affecting the rest of my garlics? I haven't noticed any bugs or obvious signs of disease, etc. but I don't really know why these few ones are doing so bad.

Sometimes the garlic just doesn’t do a good job growing. I had a handful of those this year too. They weren’t really growing, but I left it because it wasn’t time to disturb all the rest to pull them out. Those won’t really do anything and they can’t dry out properly, but there’s no harm in seeing for yourself what they look like when the rest are being harvested.

The rest looks really great and you should have lots of good garlic.

super floppy disk
Feb 21, 2004

Jhet posted:

Sometimes the garlic just doesn’t do a good job growing. I had a handful of those this year too. They weren’t really growing, but I left it because it wasn’t time to disturb all the rest to pull them out. Those won’t really do anything and they can’t dry out properly, but there’s no harm in seeing for yourself what they look like when the rest are being harvested.

The rest looks really great and you should have lots of good garlic.

Ok, thanks for the sanity check!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

My patio apple tree (gala on dwarf rootstock) has developed one set of leaves that turned white and powdery over a couple of days, is this fungal or something? Should I treat it or the whole plant or just prune this bit off?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Have you ever heard of MARIGOLDS being sold out? Everyone in my area has gone insane for them. There were no seeds, no plants, nothing at Home Depot. And the distributor was sold out too, no new ones till next week. No basil starts left either. What crazy times we live in. I still have half a packet of seeds left, I'll have to start them to give out.

I have yellowing leaf veins and tips on some of my peppers, is this from overwatering?

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 20, 2020

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Are you doing any kind of fertilizing? Yellow tips is usually not enough water or food in my experience. They look pretty healthy otherwise, weird.

I really like Neptune's Harvest Tomato & Veg Fertilizer 2-4-2 but it might be objectionable on a patio.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

mischief posted:

Are you doing any kind of fertilizing? Yellow tips is usually not enough water or food in my experience. They look pretty healthy otherwise, weird.

I really like Neptune's Harvest Tomato & Veg Fertilizer 2-4-2 but it might be objectionable on a patio.

They're in fresh miracle grow potting soil, and I fertilized 5 days ago with 20-20-20. Did I over-fertilize? Hardwood mulch. That's why I'm so confused. It's been a touch chilly, in the 40s last night and probably tonight, but they were like this yesterday and it was high 50s overnight then. Daytime temps over 60. Still a bit cold, but I cant bring them in again, no room. Tonight should be the last 40s night for the season though.

The apartment maitnence guy was staring at my plants, I went out to say hi and he was like "Is that a Karela? Where did you get that, they're sold out all over!" I picked up a bitter melon/karela on a whim (we love bitter melon curry), apparently the area's short on those too. He advised me to trellis heavily, or it will cover the patio.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 20, 2020

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Oh wow, I totally forgot that I wanted to grow bitter melon this year. I wonder if it's too late.

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

I have a rock flower bed in front of my house that i cleared out and planted a bunch of flower seeds in earlier this spring. in the process of clearing it out i found a buried walnut there.

now the flowers are coming in and a squirrel keeps coming in a diggin up the same spot looking for the nut. is there anything i can do to get it to stop? will it eventually stop? should i build a tiny landmine and bury it in the saame spot?

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
give the squirrel back its nut

source: squirrel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

ive thought about leaving a little pile out there to make amends