Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Has anyone gotten a Dualshock 4 working with this game? I cannot for the life of me get it working (using DS4Windows). The defaultt profiles seems to have left touchpad and d-pad bound together r(even though it doesn't show that) so anytime I move forward it pulls up the phone. And of course this small indie game seems to lack native DS4 support so I'm SOL for now.

I'd like a controller for driving around at the very least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%
I was OK with Paleto, but I didn't use it for gun-running. It was free, so I just used it to complete all my research.
Once research was done, I switched to gunrunning.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

GyverMac posted:

This game is the most user unfriendly I've ever experienced. Me and a friend got this for free from the Epic store in order to just have some fun with the online part. First four days we couldnt even get online at all. Fair enough server loads and all that. Today we managed to get in. We create out characters, and theres a prompt to skip the tutorial. We figure since we both played this at release we kinda know the basics so we skipped. Turns out we cant join each others session without having completed the tutorial.... And apparently there is no way to start the tutorial once you skipped it. We had to then create new characters and go through the tutorial. But it doesnt seem to tell you when its complete, so we are clueless as to what to do. I get mission prompts from simeon and Gerald while my friend gets nothing. We spent over an hour trying to figure this stuff out, navigating through labyrinthine menus, dealing with ridiculous loading times, disconnects, hackers wiping out every player on the servers we were on, and still didn't manage to play together.

JFC. All i wanted was to dress up in tiger pants and a cowboy hat and rob liquor stores with my buddy.

I don't recommend RDO then. You think GTO is broken, doesn't hold a candle to Red Dead Online.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Has anyone gotten a Dualshock 4 working with this game? I cannot for the life of me get it working (using DS4Windows). The defaultt profiles seems to have left touchpad and d-pad bound together r(even though it doesn't show that) so anytime I move forward it pulls up the phone. And of course this small indie game seems to lack native DS4 support so I'm SOL for now.

I'd like a controller for driving around at the very least.

Give this a whirl - can't help much cuz Steam Controller but might help you out!

https://steamcommunity.com/app/271590/discussions/0/152393186501988382/

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

widespread posted:

I just go off of this. It's been linked before I know that.

I loved this, but does anyone have a full nightclub guide, as it's not even in the full scope of the doc?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I kinda figured the Paleto bunker is so out of the way it's even more of a hassle to run there and do anything with it, but it was free, so hey. Can I put the bunker function on hold until I'm ready to take it further so I don't have to pay for the upkeep until I'm ready to seriously start supplying it (or even take another bunker in a better location) ?

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

TeaJay posted:

I kinda figured the Paleto bunker is so out of the way it's even more of a hassle to run there and do anything with it, but it was free, so hey. Can I put the bunker function on hold until I'm ready to take it further so I don't have to pay for the upkeep until I'm ready to seriously start supplying it (or even take another bunker in a better location) ?

Yes, you can deactivate the bunker and let it stay dormant so you aren't paying tjr daily upkeep fees on it.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

TeaJay posted:

Everything needs supplies pretty drat often, which is annoying, and to save money you'll have to do the supply missions quite a lot. I'm especially wary about the bunker since it tends to spend a lot but hasn't yet really made anything (granted, haven't had money for any upgrades for any location).

Apart from grindy businesses the online part is fun with friends (when it works, that is, we've had a huge number of errors, crashes and disconnects) but if I understood it correctly only one person can be the "boss" at a time and the whole crew cannot upgrade one MC club / business for everyone but each individually, which kinda sucks.

Regarding businesses and being the "boss".. When CEO first came out, and then through crates, and Import/Export, it really was designed to be one boss at a time among your friends.Stacking crates and cars are labor intensive, and while your associates get paid crap, I do beleive the goal was to trade off who was the boss. To kindle the spirit of cooperation, work with others as you would have them work with you, etc blah blah blah. This kinda worked good when there was an imbalance- maybe only one of your friends was doing busineses so you would help them and then they would turn around and do some VIP work to get everyone paid.

When Motorcycle Clubs came out, they were designed to be cheaper, so that everyone could get them and get rich. They way that most of the MC(and bunker) stuff is structured, you only need to be the boss when you are actively stealing supplies, or when you are selling product. Now it's possible for your friends to each spend a few minutes at their warehouses, buying supplies on their own, and then everyone has about 2 hours to kill while they wait. Fill this couple hours with game modes or other work, and then once everybody's supplies are cooked, you team up, sell, change teams, sell, change teams, sell, etc. Everyone gets paid

The next step in the businesses was the truly passive - Nightclubs. Once you get enough back end stuff "mastered"*, this builds by itself and you just need to go once aday or every other, and sell it. These sales were even geared towards doing thingso n your own- you get one vehicle to use for example. And then it starts making more, ready for you to come back later and turn your product into cash

Intended by :rockstar: or not, it really is an evolution of the business model, to allow for doing things other than straight up grinding- which is still an option if thats what you prefer. Of course the game is a grind to make money. If the unofficial goal in the online game is to make money, then unfortunately, yo ureally do need to start "at the bottom" with some grinding, some businesses, and some >gasp< work! Think of the "cookie clicker" type games on phones. In the beginning you are clicking like mad trying to get things leveled up, but after a while you get some good pieces and automatic clickers and (if they exist) you can now check out other parts of the game, while the game clicks away for you. Now instead of grinding every single crate, you click on your businesses to start them up, and then come back and sell and make money. It is a grind, but the grind changes as you progress. If the only way to make money was crates, then it would get old quick, and it did. The execution by R* isn't perfect, there's no in-game instructions on what order to do things, and stupid decisions every step of the way. but that progression does exist and allows you to "play" besides just working

*By mastering businesses, I mean getting them upgraded to be most efficient. For I/E, it means getting those low dollar seed cars. For crates it means getting multiple warehouses and a terrorbyte, etc.Dealing with a Coke business that has staff and equipment upgrades, is much more manageable than non-upgraded. It extends the time between supplys, it makes more product per supply, etc

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Otacon posted:

Give this a whirl - can't help much cuz Steam Controller but might help you out!

https://steamcommunity.com/app/271590/discussions/0/152393186501988382/

That pointed me to an actual solution: adding the rockstar launcher to steam and launching it from there let’s me start GTA5 under Steam which let’s me the use the controller perfectly. Thanks!

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Is it possible to get all the new player benefits as an old player? Like if I log in through the epics game launcher does that do it, or is it only for new Social Club accounts?

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Zesty posted:

I don't recommend RDO then. You think GTO is broken, doesn't hold a candle to Red Dead Online.

Yeah I've figured that much. Its so hilariously bad that I almost suspect Rockstar of doing it on purpose so fans wont stray away from the cash cow that is GTA Online.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Just wait to see how hosed up poo poo gets when GTA6 is formally announced

Me personally, I simply cannot wait for GTAified 1993 Nissan Maximas and 1996 Toyota Tercels for 10 million bucks a piece.

Otacon fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 19, 2020

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That’ll only be announced when this stops making money.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Otacon posted:

Me personally, I simply cannot wait GTAified 1993 Nissan Maximas and 1996 Toyota Tercels for 10 million bucks a piece.

GTA 6: the only car we can afford is a 1989 Volvo station wagon

top speed: yes?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

One real annoying thing is how the game keeps logging me out of Social club every time I start the game. So every drat time I have to relog no matter how much I press "remember me" or "remember this device" and get to solve a crapload of captchas _and_ get an e-mail about how there's an unrecognized device connecting to the game. Is there any way to fix this?

And some game-related stuff: what are the best vintage cars available? I'm not really into modern muscle/sports cars but I would love a vintage classic car. I noticed a replica of James Bond' Aston Martin on sale and that kinda tickled my fancy right away.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

TeaJay posted:

One real annoying thing is how the game keeps logging me out of Social club every time I start the game. So every drat time I have to relog no matter how much I press "remember me" or "remember this device" and get to solve a crapload of captchas _and_ get an e-mail about how there's an unrecognized device connecting to the game. Is there any way to fix this?

And some game-related stuff: what are the best vintage cars available? I'm not really into modern muscle/sports cars but I would love a vintage classic car. I noticed a replica of James Bond' Aston Martin on sale and that kinda tickled my fancy right away.

These issues are 100% due to the extremely high server loads due to Epic Games. Before this past weekend I've only ever had to login once. It will pass.

If you like the JB700 look, I'd recommend the Stirling GT (Sports Classics) and the Vapid Clique (Muscles) as both are surprisingly fast and handle well. The JB700W.... just looks sweet. And has oil mines.

Otacon fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 19, 2020

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Otacon posted:

Me personally, I simply cannot wait for GTAified 1993 Nissan Maximas and 1996 Toyota Tercels for 10 million bucks a piece.

it's actually kinda weird seeing gas prices in game at $4.50 a gallon when it's $1.70 near me in real life

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Oh yeah, the Stirling especially is what I was looking for.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

The Grotti GT500 is also very stylish.

https://gta.fandom.com/wiki/GT500

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

Windows 98 posted:

Is it possible to get all the new player benefits as an old player? Like if I log in through the epics game launcher does that do it, or is it only for new Social Club accounts?

Can confirm this works. I just got a bunch of free poo poo when I installed through the Epic Games Launcher. Now I have 200gb of GTA installed.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

TeaJay posted:

Oh yeah, the Stirling especially is what I was looking for.

Also don't overlook the Stinger GT if you're looking for classic cars. There is also a topless variety as well :eng101:

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Dannywilson posted:

I loved this, but does anyone have a full nightclub guide, as it's not even in the full scope of the doc?

I want to write up something on the Nightclub as it's one of the two businesses I ever actually bother selling, double money weeks or no, and there are a couple of traps you can't fix if you fall into them.

The most important thing offhand is you can buy 3 vehicles on Warstock to sell Nightclub goods, but do not ever buy the Mule Custom, it sucks and is worse to drive than the larger Pounder. If you buy the Mule Custom I don't think you can ever actually get rid of it, so you're stuck with a lovely truck for Sale missions.

TeaJay posted:

Also you don't get charged for the bunker if you're not in a CEO/MC when the daily expenses come due (in my case with all three upgrades, 9400 dollars)

So if you ever idle to build stock, don't be in a CEO/MC while you do it.

Also buy a new bunker (Chumash) this week, before Thursday, while they are 40% off!

mp5 fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 20, 2020

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Something neat I found out on my own is that you can idle forever if you go to your Nightclub computer and watch the DJ video feed. Decent background music if you leave audio on while game is in background.

If you minimize it to the taskbar you'll still be kicked for idling, but if it's a completely covered background window it's fine.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

TeaJay posted:

solve a crapload of captchas

I hate captchas, especially pick the pictures that contain stuff. If one square contains one tiny inch of say, a streetlight does that count? I sure dont know because it keeps failing me whether i include those pictures or not.

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!
Is there an Australian Goons Crew?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
There are Australian Goons in crew.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

˙ʍǝɹɔ uᴉ suooפ uɐᴉlɐɹʇsn∀ ǝɹɐ ǝɹǝɥ┴

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

˙ʍǝɹɔ uᴉ suooפ uɐᴉlɐɹʇsn∀ ǝɹɐ ǝɹǝɥ┴

Only Australians will get that post, but like 14 hours later...

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

So I kinda played some single player over the weekend when everything was fuckered up. I'm only an hour or so into the game, and so far have been just cruising around doing things with no real plan, or following a plot. I know at some point there are some major choices and strategies needed for the end game and stock market etc., I'm not super worried about spoilers. That being said, if I continue to just bumble through and go from one shiny object to another, I'm sure it will eventually get to the end of the game- but are there other branches that only appear at certain times? Do things happen in the normal flow that will remind me "hey its time to look up that stock info". Basically I don't really need a script of mission by mission progress, and I'm sure I'll look up maps for the collectibles and such as I go. I'm mostly curious what/when the major pivot points are so that when they come up, I can see if they shut other things completely out of the game, so that I'm ready to move on

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Zero VGS posted:

Something neat I found out on my own is that you can idle forever if you go to your Nightclub computer and watch the DJ video feed. Decent background music if you leave audio on while game is in background.

If you minimize it to the taskbar you'll still be kicked for idling, but if it's a completely covered background window it's fine.

You can idle forever from any TV in an apartment or garage, or any security camera, anywhere. Just can't minimize the game. Also, leave any organization you're in first, as your properties all charge you utilities and can be raided when you're a CEO or whatever.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

I know at some point there are some major choices and strategies needed for the end game and stock market etc., I'm not super worried about spoilers.

The one thing I wish I did for single player was save the lester assassination missions. Do them after you finish the final heist since you can make a lot in the stock market that way since you'll have a lot to invest.

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

VegasGoat posted:

The one thing I wish I did for single player was save the lester assassination missions. Do them after you finish the final heist since you can make a lot in the stock market that way since you'll have a lot to invest.

Yeah! I remember reading that you can really play it up by doing things to affect stock prices (which sodas you buy, maybe like blowing up stuff around a business you want to do poorly. Don't really remember)

I've always said I would do this one day, when I go back and finally complete story mode...

Maybe after they take the gtao servers down

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

VegasGoat posted:

You have to do them at some point before completion I think. As in, you can only do so many heists. Either way, look it up. It’s pretty specific. Like you invest in the competitor of the company of the ceo you assassinate. Then hold onto the stock. The trick is that you have to sell before it goes down. If you’re on PC, you can manipulate saves, but not sure about console.

I 100% the game, so when I got the PC version, I went out and grabbed a save on the internet. It had more money than I could have managed to get.
The big thing you need money for end game is to buy the golf course as Trevor so you can play wearing whatever you want, lol

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

FuturePastNow posted:

You can idle forever from any TV in an apartment or garage, or any security camera, anywhere. Just can't minimize the game. Also, leave any organization you're in first, as your properties all charge you utilities and can be raided when you're a CEO or whatever.

I would start a mission (Editor in Thief was my go to since it was right next to my office) and then go into an apartment or office and watch TV while idling overnight. Never kicked unless the connection broke, and no fees for rent/etc.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Windowed mode, 720p, half resolution scale, half refresh-rate, sound off when out of focus, stick behind browser window. That's how I roll.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Dannywilson posted:

Some nightclub tips:

• The Elysian Island and airport locations aren't horrible, but you'll save a lot of travel time if you spend the extra money on a club that isn't one of those. I like Downtown Vinewood the best, as it's right near the casino and the garage beacon is easy to drive into.

• You can do the promotion missions in an invite-only session if you want to avoid player attacks.

• When you've got workers gathering product in the nightclub warehouse, the product levels in your nightclub are independent of the product level inside the bunker or MC business. Upgrades to bunker and MC businesses won't affect the nightclub operations, either. So if you have a meth lab, as long as it hasn't been shut down, you'll still accrue meth stock in the nightclub even if there's nothing to sell at the lab itself.

• At some point you might encounter a bug where the cocaine meter or some other product stalls out. I've been able to solve this by un-assigning all warehouse workers and then re-assigning each one to a new product. If that doesn't work, you'll have to shut down and restart that MC business, then go back to the nightclub and re-shuffle your nightclub workers.

• Nightclub sell vehicles are meticulously crafted to behave like poo poo compared to other large trucks in the game. They're heavy enough to cause tire traction to fail on steep streets, but they operate in a physics distortion field where that weight doesn't translate into ramming power when you're cruising at highway speed. If you're hauling down the road in a Brickade or even a sanitation truck, small cars get tossed aside like toys when you t-bone them. In the Pounder Custom, the same impact drains a ridiculous amount of momentum, despite all that product supposedly weighing you down. Armor upgrades are essential but some gates become impassable if the Pounder Custom is fitted with rooftop weapons. It's a good idea to have an Up-N-Atomizer gun to free your truck if it gets stuck on a piece of terrain. If a sale is looking hopeless due to incoming griefers or lack of time on the clock, just quit the app. If you quit while the vehicle is in one piece and there's still time on the clock, you'll lose some stock but most of it will be there in the nightclub when you relaunch the game.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I actually recommend just not getting the Pounder or the Mule. Fully upgraded the Speedo is actually really good. Sure you might need to do 2-3 runs, but it's so much easier than trying to maneuver the Pounder.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh hey some of the bonus cash from doing various poo poo is beginning to show up. Neat I might be able to buy poo poo now then figure out how to actually play and of things in this.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

Slush Garbo posted:

Only Australians will get that post, but like 14 hours later...

So I live in Vancouver, and Australians are people from the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

Medullah posted:

I actually recommend just not getting the Pounder or the Mule. Fully upgraded the Speedo is actually really good. Sure you might need to do 2-3 runs, but it's so much easier than trying to maneuver the Pounder.

:agreed:

However, I also have a fully upgraded Mule, which I have never, ever used.