Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I remember finding it really that funny that there were Gor movies and that MST3k did one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

The_Other posted:

Confession time. I've read the first couple of Gor books. While the whole bondage/slave girl thing is there from the beginning, it not until the fourth book that it really became really prominent (I remember cringing at parts of that book). Even fans of the series have complained that in the later books Norman spends too much time dwelling on the care of slave girls and less on the action and narrative.

In their defense I would say that the first two books are okay, and I actually enjoyed the third book. That's probably because Norman spends more time on the sci-fi / action part then on the whole bondage thing.

These were mixed in with a big box of paperbacks I inherited some years ago. I managed to make it through Assassin (I think) before the slave girl digressions became too much. As has been mentioned, the first three are decent enough Burroughs knockoffs, but after that...hoo boy.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

https://mobile.twitter.com/Emm_Initiative/status/1260586246570561536

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Slave girl bondage is a much better topic to write about than science fiction and science action

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Ras Het posted:

Slave girl bondage is a much better topic to write about than science fiction and science action

Let's not go there.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Safety Biscuits posted:

Let's not go there.

Veto

Go there

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Speaking of weird sex stuff that will make Safety Biscuits uncomfortable lets talk about Piers Anthony and his multiple books dedicated to normalizing pedophilia

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Piers Anthony has stated that the book is set as a murder mystery. It has, typical for Xanth books, many puns. Readers also get a better understanding of the nature of Ida's moons. Air Apparent includes a character known as a Debra who is a 13-year-old girl who is constantly pressured to take off her bra. To De-Bra so to speak. She is based on a real girl. Debra Kawaguchi was a huge fan of the Xanth series and after her death in 2004, her father wrote Piers and asked him to include Debra in his cast of characters. After Piers explained to Debra's father that the only way he could think to include Debra in the book was through the De-Bra-ing pun, Mr. Kawaguchi agreed that Debra would have been delighted to be a character in Xanth and would have loved the pun. Piers mentions Mr. Kawaguchi in the author notes as the inspiration for Debra. Debra is depicted on the front cover of the hardback book as a flying centaur.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

for any other author and that would be by far the worst thing they ever wrote

For Piers Anthony, not even top ten

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Someone wrote a short story about how persecution of Otherkin will be the next Holocaust, and I read it, and now I'm pissed and here's the link https://dailysciencefiction.com/science-fiction/future-societies/sean-vivier/tornillo-memorial

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Someone wrote a short story about how persecution of Otherkin will be the next Holocaust, and I read it, and now I'm pissed and here's the link https://dailysciencefiction.com/science-fiction/future-societies/sean-vivier/tornillo-memorial

Mike noted a woman on a leash in the direction of Felix's nod, and he scowled at her, no doubt a therian Otherkin. "That's different. They think they're animals. So we treat them like animals, just like they want."

nut
Jul 30, 2019

no doubt

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

That story is the My Little Pony pogrom photo in written form

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

look what you did Safety Biscuits

a cornered animal is more dangerous

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'll read it when it's a book.

e: Well, probably not even then.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I think the funniest part to me about that story isnt the otherkin poo poo but instead the fact that the writer condenses the extent of fiction about the holocaust and internment camps to comic books

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Also the big Japanese internment book being the one by epic boss George Takei instead of Farewell to Manzanar or Obasan.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 18, 2020

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

well I guess I detest the modern world now

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

look what you did Safety Biscuits

a cornered animal is more dangerous

Gosh, Mel, sorry about the weird sex stuff that made you uncomfortable!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

MockingQuantum posted:

If you haven't read Du Maurier's Rebecca go do that immediately

Just finished this and it was excellent. :thanks:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Is there really not a thread for TC Boyle?? I think he's at least as good as Stevesy King.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Safety Biscuits posted:

Gosh, Mel, sorry about the weird sex stuff that made you uncomfortable!

Do not attempt to rubber and glue me

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://www.tor.com/2020/05/19/download-a-free-ebook-of-tooth-and-claw-by-jo-walton-before-may-23/

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

quote:

Tooth and Claw is a fantasy tale of a family dealing with the death of their father, of a son who goes to law for his inheritance, a son who agonizes over his father’s deathbed confession, a daughter who falls in love, a daughter who becomes involved in the abolition movement, and a daughter sacrificing herself for her husband.

And everyone in the story is a dragon

WHAT A TWIST

But the real question is whether any of the dragons are acorns

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
It's basically Anthony Trollope, except all dragons

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Ah, the Netflix reboot of Dinsoaurs!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

"I just flew in from Camelot and boy are my arms tired"

"Yes, Paul, we are dragons and our arms are attached to our wings necessitating their use in flight, this is sadly an unavoidable consequence of our physiology"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
No no no, comedy of Manners

quote:

Tooth and Claw is the easiest of my books to summarize. It’s a sentimental Victorian novel in which all the characters are dragons who eat each other. If that sounds appealing, you’ll like it. If not, then probably not. I had the idea for it all in a flash one day. I was reading Trollope. When my husband went to work, I was reading The Small House in Allington. Now The Small House in Allington is about Lily Dale, and all of Trollope’s weird fixations about women are in fine display in that book. Sometime during the day, the library called and said they had a book for me, so I went to pick it up. The book was Ursula Le Guin’s The Other Wind. Not sorry to have a break from Trollope, I started to read it immediately, so when Emmet came home I was immersed in it. “How’s the book?” he asked. “Pretty good, but it doesn’t really understand dragons,” I said. Emmet looked at me in amazement. “Trollope doesn’t understand… dragons?” And in that moment I had the great revelation that is Tooth and Claw, that Trollope understands dragons perfectly, and it’s only when he tries to write about human beings (and especially women) that the books lose psychological realism. But dragons… dragons could be just like that. They could be bound by biological imperatives to behave like people in a sentimental Victorian novel. They could need to eat each other to get bigger — the perils of consumption! I started to giggle. I made dinner and got all the worldbuilding sorted in my head.I decided to steal the plot of Framley Parsonage, rather than The Small House At Allington, because I’d finished Framley Parsonage and could see how to make the whole thing work better, with dragons.

.. . .

here’s a way in which the Victorians were monsters. And there’s a way in which they were adorable. When modern people write about them, one or other of those things tends to get lost. With Tooth and Claw I was going right down the middle of the line between those two things, between charming and gruesome. And I was having fun being funny. Tooth and Claw is my first book that had space for humour. Also, it’s written in full-bore Trollope sly omniscient. Omni like that is a special case of first person, and a ton of fun to play with — there’s one point where the narrator directly addresses the gentle reader — only the gentle kind of reader, not the kind who hangs around publishers offices with claws out ready to eat writers who displease them. I knew perfectly well that the modern reader would disapprove of cannibalism and not be at all bothered by cooked meat, but the narrator knew just the opposite of the implicit dragon reader. I really enjoyed using this, and I learned a lot about how point-of-view works from doing it.

http://www.jowaltonbooks.com/books/tooth-and-claw/

It's really quite clever if you've read a lot of Trollope

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 19, 2020

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Saramago wrote a decent novel from the perspective of an elephant, but I have a feeling this whole “what if almost like humans but dragons” thing is the polar opposite

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Cute idea, although I fail to see what is specifically Victorian about stabbing people in the back to get ahead.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

"This book doesnt really understand dragons" is a quote with potent Sham energy

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

ulvir posted:

Saramago wrote a decent novel from the perspective of an elephant, but I have a feeling this whole “what if almost like humans but dragons” thing is the polar opposite

"Saramago wrote a decent book with the premise" is cheating because Saramago was the genius of our times.

You could give Saramago Sonichu and he would come back with a treatise on the modern condition that would move you to tears

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Mel Mudkiper posted:

"Saramago wrote a decent book with the premise" is cheating because Saramago was the genius of our times.

You could give Saramago Sonichu and he would come back with a treatise on the modern condition that would move you to tears

Wait you guys didn’t cry to sonichu haha me neither

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

nut posted:

Wait you guys didn’t cry to sonichu haha me neither

when blake and angela realize their love for each other because the hermaphrodite hedgehog fucks them both :cry:

please dont tell me if I got those character names right because if I did I am so upset with myself

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Cute idea, although I fail to see what is specifically Victorian about stabbing people in the back to get ahead.

Doing it with [social] class, mostly

Anyway it's free and neat and y'all should swipe your talons at it

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 19, 2020

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's basically Anthony Trollope, except all dragons

My biggest complaint about Tooth and Claw is that it doesn't really feel like "all dragons". Like, there were lengthy periods of the book in which I completely forgot that the characters were not meant to be human, and then there'd be some passing reference to wings or cannibalism and I'd go "oh, right", but it really does feel like she wrote a Trollope homage and applied the thinnest possible veneer of draconism to it.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Doing it with [social] class, mostly

Anyway it's free and neat and y'all should swipe your talons at it

I love you Hieronymous but this page makes me want to throw you into a locker so bad right now you loving nerd

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

this reminds me that I need to read death with interruptions

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

ulvir posted:

this reminds me that I need to read death with interruptions

Its lesser saramago honestly.

Still real good but hes done comedic analysis of beauracracy dealing with the metaphysical better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Can anyone think of any decent modern written characters/settings with a lot of short stories?

I was thinking of Jeeves and Wooster, Conan the Barbarian. Sherlock Holmes and Poirot, too.

Murderbot is kinda close, as a series of novellas.

I imagine the whole idea has gone by the wayside for economic reasons, but it's pretty fun reading through the Sherlock short story collections for example.