Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

MarcusSA posted:

Its a shame because that Oak stuff would legit last forever and its too bad its ugly (in most cases) and heavy as gently caress.

Also TVs outgrew the size of the TV hole within years. My folks used the CRT they bought to fit in there right up until they moved house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Cyril Sneer posted:

As someone who knows nothing about interior design how is Pier 1 any different than all the other housing goods stores? Like, they all seem to sell more or less the same stuff, to my eye anyway. :shrug:

What are your thoughts on wicker?

If you don't like wicker, you aren't missing much.

If you like wicker, you probably already lament the passing of Pier 1.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I care about wicker inasmuch as it makes up the seat and seatback of the Cesca chair

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

AvesPKS posted:

I could be wrong. I probably haven't had one in a few years and I'm sure you know how comparable the taste is to the original. One of the reasons I like Roy Rogers food is because it's a nostalgia trip eating there, as all of their food tastes exactly the same as it did 25 years ago. (If Wendy's came out with a 'circa 1996 chicken sandwich' I'd eat there for sure). I've just tended to notice that over the last 20-25 years any product that maintains consistent quality for years usually goes up in price, and anything that tries to maintain a consistent price either ends up cutting portion sizes or quality.

With Totino's they changed how they're made(square instead of a circle, can be made in big sheets and cut up) and how they're packaged(no cardboard box with a plastic wrapped pizza inside, now its just wrapped in a thicker plastic bag that has all the graphics on it). They probably cut back on their ad buy budget as well. At safeway, they go for 2$+ but at winco its usually 99 cents to 1.20$. I can't really eat those anymore, too much sodium plus those are guaranteed heartburn.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Growing up in Australia, the only knowledge I had of Pier 1 was from The Simpsons, where Milhouse has a monkey that they found passed out in a basket. The monkey gives Bart head lice and gives Milhouse some kind of horrible virus.
When I looked it up just now it turns out that the episode referenced Pier 1 when originally aired but was later changed to the fictional "Trader Pete's" because Pier 1 complained.

https://simpsons.fandom.com/wiki/Monkey

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Sekhmnet posted:

With Totino's they changed how they're made(square instead of a circle, can be made in big sheets and cut up) and how they're packaged(no cardboard box with a plastic wrapped pizza inside, now its just wrapped in a thicker plastic bag that has all the graphics on it). They probably cut back on their ad buy budget as well. At safeway, they go for 2$+ but at winco its usually 99 cents to 1.20$. I can't really eat those anymore, too much sodium plus those are guaranteed heartburn.

I only ever had a party pizza after meeting my spouse and they're good as hell (in the oven)

the only grocery store I've been able to get to lately had a four pack of them for $2 so I stocked up :sickos:

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Cyril Sneer posted:

As someone who knows nothing about interior design how is Pier 1 any different than all the other housing goods stores? Like, they all seem to sell more or less the same stuff, to my eye anyway. :shrug:

1. Wicker everywhere

2. One of the only places you could still purchase a papasan chair.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Sekhmnet posted:

They spent all their ad budget on paying SNL to make fun of them.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
WHAT’S WRONG WITH MY HUNGRY GUYS?!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Promoted Pawn posted:

Yes, but not all at the same time like with this thing. They both do things that the other doesn’t. They’re not really comparable devices.

Like I can kinda understand that this is a first of its kind device and that there’s a premium for that kind of thing because the supply chain and assembly lines are still new. Maybe something like this will become more plausible for an average person to own when prices go down, kinks get worked out, and more features are added.

As it is though I’m a bit baffled on who’s buying enough of these things to keep this company in the black.

Maybe it's the first of its kind but there are like 6 of these 'smart ovens' on the market, some for around half the price. Which . . . is still too much. One was offering to allow users to use the oven for free as long as they are subscribed to their $60+ a person a month food plan.

I am pretty lazy so I could see eventually getting something like this at a much lower price.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Pope Corky the IX posted:

"What's your name?"
"I..I've never had one"

Money well spent.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Pope Corky the IX posted:

*checks sodium content

No amount of mushy vegetables and rubbery meat is worth this.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

EoinCannon posted:

Growing up in Australia, the only knowledge I had of Pier 1 was from The Simpsons, where Milhouse has a monkey that they found passed out in a basket. The monkey gives Bart head lice and gives Milhouse some kind of horrible virus.
When I looked it up just now it turns out that the episode referenced Pier 1 when originally aired but was later changed to the fictional "Trader Pete's" because Pier 1 complained.

https://simpsons.fandom.com/wiki/Monkey

Lol I made a joke about this last page and nobody got it and I'm surprised because abstruse Simpsons references are usually a gimme here

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Lol I made a joke about this last page and nobody got it and I'm surprised because abstruse Simpsons references are usually a gimme here

I'm sorry :(
They've never aired the Trader Pete's version here so I had no idea what you were talking about until I looked up the scene on frinkiac

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Private Equity has brought more knives to the GameStop boardroom.

I LOL that they still consider GameInformer something they can leverage after they went all Jason Calacanis on it and replaced the whole staff with For Exposure dregs.

Their PowerPoint is a fun and delusional read. https://www.restoregamestop.com/presentation

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Aren't most of the other gaming mags dead now? I haven't kept track in a long time but I thought those were mostly gone (as they should be, since the things you used to only be able to look up in a gaming mag are all online now and have been for ages).

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

Aren't most of the other gaming mags dead now? I haven't kept track in a long time but I thought those were mostly gone (as they should be, since the things you used to only be able to look up in a gaming mag are all online now and have been for ages).

EGM is technically still barely holding on as a website and CGW has been dead for most of a decade, so yeah, it was kind of the last one standing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I really thought EGM was totally dead by now

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

I really thought EGM was totally dead by now

They keep dragging its corpse out as an online only thing every now and again but everyone who made the magazine good is long gone. They don’t even do long form articles anymore.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1264306358561562626

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Seems great if you're in the market for a used car

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

lord funk posted:

I'm sad to see them go, to be honest. I don't know anything about their business practices, but as a teenager it was fun to go and find weird cheap poo poo to put in your room.

I bet teens these days feel the same way about wish.com

I never set foot in a Pier 1 until last year so perhaps things have changed, but every single item in that shithole was like 5x as expensive as the same poo poo you could find at Hobby Lobby or Target or whatever.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Lambert posted:

They're already listing dozens and dozens of them. The ones I saw weren't priced like they were steals or anything though.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

They're already listing dozens and dozens of them. The ones I saw weren't priced like they were steals or anything though.

We were looking at their luxury cars last night and there were some really great deals on their site.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Shareholders having a hurts donut.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

MarcusSA posted:

We were looking at their luxury cars last night and there were some really great deals on their site.

Aside from the fact that they're rentals and thus are about as beat up as 10x their mileage would suggest.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I want a wicker swingset.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's so weird to remember how big of a deal gaming magazines used to be.

Big enough that they inspired that old webcomic PVP.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BigDave posted:

It's so weird to remember how big of a deal gaming magazines used to be.

Big enough that they inspired that old webcomic PVP.

I got EGM and CGW for years, for free for most of them thanks to what I assume was some kind of computer error. I used to love when those showed up in the mail. Both of them had some really well written stuff. When you compare their output to games websites of the time, or even now, it was like night and goddamn day.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I got EGM and CGW for years, for free for most of them thanks to what I assume was some kind of computer error. I used to love when those showed up in the mail. Both of them had some really well written stuff. When you compare their output to games websites of the time, or even now, it was like night and goddamn day.

I would get 6 months of free Game Informer for no reason as well. Just out of the blue *bam* here's the latest updates on Half Life 2.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BigDave posted:

I would get 6 months of free Game Informer for no reason as well. Just out of the blue *bam* here's the latest updates on Half Life 2.

I got every single issue of both from September 99 (I remember because it was the Dreamcast launch issue of EGM) til... at least August of 06 when I left for college without paying a dime. It was goddamn bizarre.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

I'm pretty sure those magazines got most of their revenue from ads anyway. We had stacks of Electronic Musician and Keyboard Magazine delivered every month to our music department at my university for a decade. Never had to pay.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Since we are talking game magazines , RIP Nintendo Power. 10 year old me loved it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Lambert posted:

My understanding is that they basically never get maintenance performed so the engine has a much shorter life expectancy than it ought to. They're priced as bargains for a reason, otherwise they would just get cycled into the regular used car market via auction or something.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

Since we are talking game magazines , RIP Nintendo Power. 10 year old me loved it.

:same:

I think they did an article for Super Metroid that somehow had a spread of the entire worldmap of Zebes, and ~10yo me loving loved it.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Maybe I got lucky, but my first car was a former rental (2002 Dodge Neon. RIP. I still miss that loving car), and it ran like a champ. I put a lot of miles on that in very short time. Was a tank

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Duckman2008 posted:

We had the issue dedicated to Super Mario 3 and ended up laminating the page with all the memory puzzle solutions.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I miss PC Accelerator the edgy PC Gamer magazine that only lasted 2 years. 14 year old me loved it.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
I still wish I kept my copies of PC Gamer- its impossible to find online copies.

At least for the US version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
Hey, speaking of the thread title:

https://twitter.com/mashable/status/1263836719104876545?s=21