Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
Edit; Double Post

Falco fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Frances Nurples posted:

Real nice. How are those planes held in place?

For the picture? just gravity and friction. I have some magnets on order though.

AFewBricksShy posted:

That looks fantastic.

I decided to build one of those Japanese Style tool boxes for all of my hand tools (building it entirely out of hand tools(maybe)), and to store it in my basement because my garage gets way too humid in the summer and things get a bit rusty.
I love your storage for the spoke shave and the chisels, I'm absolutely stealing those for one of the trays.

https://www.woodcraft.com/blog_entries/making-a-traditional-japanese-toolbox

Well you'd just be re-stealing them. Based them on google image searches but definitely not my original design.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

bobua posted:

She needs some drawers but she's done for now.

Looks really nice.

I'm like 99% sure I would smash the light bulb the first time I tried to take a chisel out, though.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Looks really nice.

I'm like 99% sure I would smash the light bulb the first time I tried to take a chisel out, though.

Yeah, that light is temporary

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

bobua posted:

Yeah, that light is temporary

Nothing's as permanent as a temporary solution :v:

And agreed, that's great work!

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
I am just going to put these here. The current barometric pressure outside is 30.12 - FYI. Almost all the pots I have used couldn't pull more than -27 Hg at this altitude so I don't know why all of a sudden I am getting well over -30.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Planter box

Redwood fence pickets, redwood lattice caps, and redwood lattice strips. Not sold on the legs, might change it.

Can redwood sawdust cause a bad sore throat? I can't explain where it came from with the social distancing, mask wearing, not touching anything, washing and disinfecting constantly, no one else in my house leaving or interacting with anyone. And I don't feel sick at all otherwise.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

FogHelmut posted:

Planter box

Redwood fence pickets, redwood lattice caps, and redwood lattice strips. Not sold on the legs, might change it.

Can redwood sawdust cause a bad sore throat? I can't explain where it came from with the social distancing, mask wearing, not touching anything, washing and disinfecting constantly, no one else in my house leaving or interacting with anyone. And I don't feel sick at all otherwise.
All sawdust can, definitely. And the more you expose yourself to it, the more sensitive you get over time. I know it's not super possible right now, but get yourself a good respirator for wood working.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

FogHelmut posted:

It absolutely can. Which reminded me of this story of the fbi buying a giant sculpture that made employees sick.

Also nice planter box. What's going in it?

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

FogHelmut posted:

Planter box

Do you snore? Raggedy breathing at night can cause a sore throat.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I'm quite allergic to pine, due to growing up in a woodshop basically. Same thing can easily happen to other woods

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

FogHelmut posted:

Planter box

https://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/wood-allergies-and-toxicity/

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

:staredog:

*puts on goggles, 2 respirators, gloves, booties, and a chastity belt before stepping into the shop*

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Some wood dust is really bad, but any wood dust isn't great. Really, the best thing is to use a respirator when any kind of dust is involved.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

This should keep me busy for a while, ripped out the carpet and trim in the basement. Floors are not flat enough for the planned LVP and I’m considering my options. The high spots are to higher to ignore. Professionals are coming to refinish the upstairs wood floors in a few weeks, my wife is impressed with my timing.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Get a floor grinder? They’re not expensive to rent for a day and with some course grinders you could probably smooth it down sufficiently in that time. Barring that, if it’s way up and down all over the place, pour some self leveling mix?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

Get a floor grinder? They’re not expensive to rent for a day and with some course grinders you could probably smooth it down sufficiently in that time. Barring that, if it’s way up and down all over the place, pour some self leveling mix?

That is one of options we have decided to look into, the others being concrete overlays, epoxy, and polished concrete.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I did the floor leveler stuff before putting in laminate floors, it wasn't awful.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

I did the floor leveler stuff before putting in laminate floors, it wasn't awful.

My concern is that the high spots are really high (1-2 inches) and we have 1200 feet to flatten enough for the LVP, we will see what the concrete dude says.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

1-2”? Wow. Over what span?

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Built a planter:

Also while building said planter realised I need more work surface so built a workbench.

Next project is to build a stand for my mitre saw.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Atticus_1354 posted:

It absolutely can. Which reminded me of this story of the fbi buying a giant sculpture that made employees sick.

Also nice planter box. What's going in it?

Not sure what's going in it, it was a mother's day gift to my wife from our 3 year old son. I let him squeeze the trigger on the nail gun once while I was holding it. He helped the most by wandering off and watching cartoons instead of picking up my tools and pretending they were spaceships and hiding them.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Wasn't sure if there was a book making or paper craft thread, but this looks like a good place to post this. Ever since the quarantine started I've been reacquainting myself with my love of bookbinding by making my own sketchbooks. Still pretty rusty but I think these turned out alright:

The left two are stab bound, the gold leafed one is case bound. The green has really nice Tomoe River paper so I can sketch with my fountain pens and the other two are made with a cotton-rag printmaking paper.

It's really nice getting back into this. Like seeing an old friend.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Chip McFuck posted:

Wasn't sure if there was a book making or paper craft thread, but this looks like a good place to post this. Ever since the quarantine started I've been reacquainting myself with my love of bookbinding by making my own sketchbooks. Still pretty rusty but I think these turned out alright:

The left two are stab bound, the gold leafed one is case bound. The green has really nice Tomoe River paper so I can sketch with my fountain pens and the other two are made with a cotton-rag printmaking paper.

It's really nice getting back into this. Like seeing an old friend.

Whoa those look awesome! I'd love to know more about the process.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Thank you! I really appreciate that. Instead of writing out the process, here are a few photos to document a pocket-size stab-bound book I made today. I'm not a great writer, so I thought this would be easier to understand than my bizarre grammar. Hopefully you'll find it interesting!

The materials you need are pretty basic: paper, thread, a ruler, a needle, and an awl (or other sharp, pointy object). If you're cutting your paper to a desired size, then you'll need also an exacto or mat knife and a pencil. I'm using some fancy Lineco stuff, but any needle and thread will work just as fine.

(of course, a helper might be required)

Take one of your pages and create a stab-hole template. Measure and stab two holes near the corners with your awl .5in from each side. Then measure and stab two more holes roughly equidistant from each other as well as the two outer holes. Using the template, stab the four holes on each of the pages.

If you want to, you could now clip the pages together with a couple of binder clips and trim the edges if you are concerned about pages not being perfectly flush. I'm not worrying about that here, as this specific book is meant to be knocked around in a pocket so I don't mind if it's not perfect.

Once done stabbing the pages, pull a length of thread about as long as your arm. Thread the needle and tie a knot to keep the thread from slipping off.

Now we're ready to start binding! To try and keep this simple, I'm going to label the holes #1 through #4. In the following pictures #1 will be the hole farthest from my hand and #4 being the closest.

Start the binding on hole #2. Thread the needle through the entire book block and pull the needle and thread through. Leave a couple inches of thread (called a tail) on the other side. You'll need it later.

Thread the needle through the same hole again and pull taut. Now you should have a little loop of thread over the spine of the book.

Thread the needle through #3 and create a loop the same way we did through #2.

Do the same with #4. This time, however, we're going to push the needle through the same hole twice, creating a loop on the spine as well as the edge of the book.

Now we're going to push the needle back through #3 and #2 until we get to #1. No need to make loops this time, just make straight runs of thread between each.

Make the same two loops over the spine and edge as you did on #4. You should now have to lengths of thread on the same side of the book; one attached to the needle and the other the tail.

Pull the needle under the thread around #2 and tie a knot or two.

Once that's done, you now have a complete book!

I'm in the process of making a case bound book but because that uses glue it'll need a couple of days for drying and pressing before photos can be taken. Once it's done though, I'll be happy to document that process too.

Edit: Spelling

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 15, 2020

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
^ Really cool! Thanks for the details, and please thank your helper :3:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Built some slidey hidey tool cases for my car (but not for car tools):

More photos in the album: https://imgur.com/a/HWUDGT0

e: forgot the link :downs:

Trabant fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 17, 2020

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Why do you need woodworking on the go? Personal tools for work at a makerspace?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
That's exactly it! I don't have a shop of my own so I use the ATX Hackerspace to make my dumb things. A lot of the communal stuff gets beat up real bad so I prefer to bring my own.

I'd keep the tools stored nice and orderly in my place instead, but we live in a small-ish condo already bursting at the seams with stuff so this was the next-best option.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Reminded me of my "makerspace bag" :) Same type of abuse here too, guess its just part of a communal learning workshop.

Are you guys open down in Austin? Dallas Makerspace has been closed due to covid.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
We closed about two months ago and they're trying to reopen now but it's been a mess. The board is trying to be very cautious but (some of) the membership is being all weird with "well, why can't we do X or Y or Z instead?" I get the consternation from those that actually use the space for their livelihoods, but for hobbyists like me... Man, you can chill the gently caress out for a while longer. Nobody's going to die if you can't build a stepstool or 3D print a minifig for a few more weeks.

From what I understand, ATXHS is an absolute mess compared to yours. Physically, organizationally, metaphorically, take your pick. I'm keeping my membership active so it stays afloat because Austin needs something like it, but if someone put together a new one... I'd jump ship in a hot minute.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.
Got a new table saw, so been busy making some table saw stuff.

Taper Jig

Crosscut sled

Improved dust collection cart

Next up: Router table extension wing

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Trabant posted:

That's awesome!

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

bEatmstrJ posted:

Got a new table saw, so been busy making some table saw stuff.

Taper Jig

Crosscut sled

Improved dust collection cart

Next up: Router table extension wing

Lookin good. How much was the dust collection cyclone? And what kind of table saw?

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

HolHorsejob posted:

Lookin good. How much was the dust collection cyclone? And what kind of table saw?

The "cyclone" is a bucket topper that Home Depot sells for $40. It fits one of their 5 gallon buckets. Seems to be pretty effective, keeps my filter from getting clogged and much easier to empty. I went with a Laguna Fusion 2 saw.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Trabant posted:

These are really good, great use of that hidden space and I like the rotating bit storage. I wish I could get a 4x8 sheet of kaizen foam locally.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

taqueso posted:

That's awesome!

cakesmith handyman posted:

These are really good, great use of that hidden space and I like the rotating bit storage. I wish I could get a 4x8 sheet of kaizen foam locally.

Thanks!

You might be able to get 2x4 Kaizen sheets more easily, but it will still require shipping which can get obnoxiously expensive. 5S Foam might be another option, although I've never seen it in person.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
Finally made the window valance that my wife asked for for mother's day.

1x8 cut and assembled. This is around 10 ft 4 in long.

Batting attached with spray adhesive and staples.

Fabric attached in the same manor. Laid the fabric out on the ground to line everything up since I wanted my pattern to follow correctly.

Mounted to its permanent location.

Also I maged to snap a drill bit off in the wall stud when hanging it.

fallin1 fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 21, 2020

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
^ I found upholstery of any kind to be a total mother, so well done!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Finished the router extension wing for my table saw. Now just need to make a fence for it.