Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

HiroProtagonist posted:

I got an opportunity to mess around with drone control and it kinda... sucks, to put it mildly.

The range on it is pathetic, like around 25 or 30 tiles (after which you just lose connection) and while the power consumption at least isn't stupid and you're able to run the remote controller bionic for a good amount of time, it really is pointless for the full range on it be less than the typical aggro distance of zombies.

While controlling, say, an automatic street sweeper or something, you are locked in place and easy meat. And while I avoided it (narrowly, on one occasion), it's entirely possible to run yourself over with the robotic vehicle you're bionically possessing while you're stock-still like Professor X using the cyber brain computer.

I didn't suicide this guy yet so one of the other things I want to try out is whether it can control turrets--although the aforementioned lovely range most likely means you're going to be plugged full of 7.62 long before you can get close enough, although even so it may still be helpful in some kind of confined space like a lab, assuming remote controlling turrets is possible at all. I haven't run across any yet (labs or turrets), so that's what I'm waiting on.

Let me know if it's possible. If taking remote control of a turret can be used to neutralise them, that'd be pretty neat - even having to tank the first volley and then taking control beats getting slaughtered trying to fire off even a single shot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

You don’t use the remote controller to drive the car. You use it to turn the turrets on as you run back screaming.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Dandywalken posted:

I know eyebots respect the badge though. They acknowledge the Marshall badge and departs with some "Feds have it under control " message
That's rad! I haven't messed with the quest lines but I'm gonna keep it in mind. Also the town I'm working through has three police stations so chances for me to find and test some of the other badges are looking up

HiroProtagonist posted:

I got an opportunity to mess around with drone control and it kinda... sucks, to put it mildly.
Some forms of remote control are already in the base game btw. For instance, you can find boxes with electric toy cars and drive those around in your field of view. I thought that's pretty nifty when I gave it a try. Also the remote control for the toy car has an extra button without function so I think you can strap some explosives to it and detonate it remotely. At least I really hope that's the case :v:

PiCroft posted:

Let me know if it's possible. If taking remote control of a turret can be used to neutralise them, that'd be pretty neat - even having to tank the first volley and then taking control beats getting slaughtered trying to fire off even a single shot
You can sorta do this in the base game already. There is an item called the "control laptop" that you can craft. Needs an USB drive with "HackPro", the recipe book and 7 electronics to make. Not sure if you need computer skill to use it effectively but I would assume so. From what I could gather, it allows you to hack and disable turrets and robots. Though the range seems to be rather short

Qubee posted:

I'm wondering if it's possible to dive in and learn things intuitively, or if a lot of my knowledge will be gained from experience / asking you guys.
It's gonna be a mix of both, with heavy leaning towards the latter. Like the game is full of obtuse mechanics, doesn't offer much in the way of in-game help and a lot of the information on the wiki/web is outdated or unreliable. I dug through a lot of info on the web when I started to play this game and pestered the people itt when I couldn't solve a question on my own. The thread has been hugely helpful in that regard so read along and ask away! There's also content on youtube that you can watch and learn from. For instance, this video might help you out with making your text more readable.

Qubee posted:

Am I able to recruit NPCs to come live with me and go on expeditions with me? That would make the prospect of scouting out towns a lot less daunting, knowing I've got a second pair of eyes and arms to help me out of sticky situations. And being able to throw them at a dangerous threat to act as a meat shield whilst I run away would be handy.
Yes but they're still WIP so they have a range of issues which makes them act less than smart and gets them killed if you don't outfit them with high-tier armor and solid weapons. If you manage to recruit one, you can then dive into the dialog menu to learn how you can interact with them and what they can and won't do. The NPC camp option was already mentioned and while I haven't messed with it myself, it seems to be a huge time&material sink right now and also still WIP. But take a bit of care when you approach an NPC out in the world. Some of them are bandits(which should show as hostile) and neutral ones can still be scared by you or have some hostile reactions which depends on a whole heap of factors. NPCs that are part of your starting scenario are always "safe" in that regard though and also should be fairly easy to recruit

Qubee posted:

The possibilities in this game make me so excited. It's like a more fleshed-out version of Unreal World.

And the thought of maybe one day making my own campervan with supplies, refrigeration and living space so I can gently caress off into the middle of nowhere and still be comfy.
Yeah that's also what sucked me into the game. I mean beyond my love for post-apoc games and roguelikes. The vehicle construction system is really drat cool and feels very rewarding after you figured it out. The main thing is that a vehicle, in terms of the game, doesn't need an engine or wheels. It's just a blanket term for anything that you construct with the system. And that includes a whole ton of contraptions like foldable shopping carts, solar power banks, boats, lifting cranes, stationary light sources or fridge/freezer units. It's easily one of my favorite aspects of the game

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 19, 2020

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

re: meese, spotted in a gbs thread:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Thanks for the advice, Tin Tim. Completely new question: is there a wounds screen or anything? I got into a fight with a zombie (I was mistakenly smashing the floor until I realized it's a roguelike and I'm meant to bump into them to attack) and it bit me a few times. I have no idea if this is a death sentence or not, but I applied bandages to the bite marks nonetheless. Is the only info I get in terms of health status / wounds the bars to the right for my arms, legs and torso? Also, what's the button to wait for an extended period of time, keybindings says its l and I cannot for the life of me figure out what that is, I've tried I, l, | no bueno.

Oh and whenever I craft stuff, it just puts a crafting sticker on the floor and I have to tediously pick it up and activate it to finish crafting it. Surely there's a faster way of churning out tonnes of lockpicks?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Red means bleeding, blue means almost infected.

Try to craft at a table/counter but if you can’t, use the (*) construction menu to lay down a crafting spot.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Qubee posted:

Completely new question: is there a wounds screen or anything? I got into a fight with a zombie (I was mistakenly smashing the floor until I realized it's a roguelike and I'm meant to bump into them to attack) and it bit me a few times. I have no idea if this is a death sentence or not, but I applied bandages to the bite marks nonetheless. Is the only info I get in terms of health status / wounds the bars to the right for my arms, legs and torso?
Unless you have the "self aware" trait, all you see is those green-to-red bars, and if you do have "self aware" you just get actual numbers instead. Getting bit isn't a death sentence, and bandages (ideally disinfectant too) are all you need for things to naturally heal on their own. Not 100% sure but it seems to me healing is faster when you're sleeping, but I'm not sure how much and I don't think wounds that aren't bandaged heal much if at all.

The exception is a "deep bite/wound/whatever" which can kill you if you let it develop into a full on infection but that takes 24 hours of going untreated and you'll see if you have one. All you need to fix it thought is some kind of disinfectant or antiseptic (or, if you like pain, cauterizing it with something hot like a soldering iron).

Qubee posted:

Also, what's the button to wait for an extended period of time, keybindings says its l and I cannot for the life of me figure out what that is, I've tried I, l, | no bueno.

Hit "enter" and it's under Misc (#7): Wait for a length of time > wait until you catch your breath (or some other length of time)

Qubee posted:

Oh and whenever I craft stuff, it just puts a crafting sticker on the floor and I have to tediously pick it up and activate it to finish crafting it. Surely there's a faster way of churning out tonnes of lockpicks?

You might have something in your hands, put anything in your hands away somewhere and try to craft at a countertop or a table or some kind of surface. Making a crafting spot isn't necessary either, but it doesn't sound like you're doing that, just mentioning it.

Also, in the crafting screen, you can (b)atch stuff so you don't have to repeat it one at a time.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Qubee posted:

Thanks for the advice, Tin Tim. Completely new question: is there a wounds screen or anything? I got into a fight with a zombie (I was mistakenly smashing the floor until I realized it's a roguelike and I'm meant to bump into them to attack) and it bit me a few times. I have no idea if this is a death sentence or not, but I applied bandages to the bite marks nonetheless. Is the only info I get in terms of health status / wounds the bars to the right for my arms, legs and torso? Also, what's the button to wait for an extended period of time, keybindings says its l and I cannot for the life of me figure out what that is, I've tried I, l, | no bueno.

Your main info is indeed via the health bars on your limbs. Almost every other condition shows up in the "effects" tab on your character info sheet(AltGr+@). If you see a bite show up there(colored blue) then you need to use some form of disinfectant on it to make it go away. Otherwise it will become worse after 2 hours and start to develop into the zombie infection after 6 hours which then needs antibiotics or it will kill you. Antiseptic liquid or powder(found in first aid kits, pharmacies, ambulances etc.) usually works on the first try but if you don't have it then there are a few alternatives with lower success chances. You can make cattail jelly from cattail stalks that you find in swamps. Needs survival 1 and the recipe is found in several survival related books which are common finds in houses and basements. You can also rarely find hydrogen peroxide in bathrooms or basements. And the last resort is to cauterize the wound with a soldering iron or knife+fire source. It's dicey though because it has 50% success and can also make the infection worsen faster if you fail. Securing some form of disinfectant is very important before you get into fights. It's honestly better to run away if you don't have that

The direct way to the menu for waiting is AltGr+the key for angle brackets on your keyboard. It has these symbols <,>,| on it for me

E:beaten and such

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 19, 2020

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

weird that disinfectant works on extradimensional goo

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Eat your tide pods to defeat the xenos, citizen

E: Also wrt to zombie bites, it's worth it to remember that they can only make bite attacks if they have grabbed you. If you're strong enough to break the grabs of most zombies then just step away once they grab you and you'll never catch a bite

E2: I'm currently working on clearing a city and I've noticed something strange about my character

My stats have increased a whole lot for no reason as far as I can tell? I'm playing with stats through kills so this shouldn't happen on it's own

E3: Exiting and reloading my game fixed it so :shrug:

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 19, 2020

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

How long does it take zombies to revive? I am breaching my first lab, and I want to dissect a bunch of scientist corpses for their bionics, but I am not sure how much time I have to cut them up before they start waking up.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Time to finally jump back in. Is it worth getting any build past the stable? I know recently they've been broken thanks to the new inventory system but was any build between those points a significant upgrade, or should I just default to 0.E?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Mr. Lobe posted:

How long does it take zombies to revive? I am breaching my first lab, and I want to dissect a bunch of scientist corpses for their bionics, but I am not sure how much time I have to cut them up before they start waking up.

About a day.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

Time to finally jump back in. Is it worth getting any build past the stable? I know recently they've been broken thanks to the new inventory system but was any build between those points a significant upgrade, or should I just default to 0.E?

Just do stable. The launcher's list doesn't go back far enough to avoid the bagpocalypse, so you'd have to hunt down the relevant build yourself, and there's nothing terribly amazing you're missing.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Should I be as scared of zombies as I am? I'm venturing into my town as the evac shelter doesn't have sheets, and I want to board the evac shelter up and supply it so I can spend a few days settling in and getting the hang of things. But whenever I venture into town, as soon as zombies start shuffling towards me, I high-tail it back to the shelter. Can I beat them with my plank (12 str) or should I avoid at all costs?

I figured since it's my first character, I should probably play brazenly so I die quickly rather than spending ages setting up and dying to something really quick due to inexperience.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Individually, zombies are slow and super fragile. You can definitely kill one with a cudgel. Three, even, assuming they're not special zombies.

Then you get mobbed and surrounded by a dozen, run out of stamina and die. It's the extra zombies you didn't start out fighting that tend to get you.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Exploring at night is much safer (which is why you should automatically take Night Vision on every character). Zombies can only see about 4-5 tiles in the dark, making it a lot easier to slip away, or to drag one off alone so you can bludgeon it to death without a dozen more joining in.

Keep in mind that you can run, but running is a very sharp double-edged knife. It drains your stamina very quickly, and having low stamina makes you slow. It's sort of bullshit; you'll run to get away, run out of stamina, be forced to stop running, and then they'll catch up because you're slow from being out of breath. :shepicide: As such, you generally want to run short distances, and press | to "wait until you catch your breath" as soon as you can.

As The Lone Badger said, definitely try to fight only one enemy at a time. Fat, tough, and feral runner zombies are slightly harder than normal ones, while crawling, headless, and decayed are weaker. All can be beaten, one on one, by a newbie survivor with a cudgel or 2-by-sword or whatever. On the other hand, brutes will tear your rear end in half - avoid them at all costs. A good plan is to lure your victim onto rough terrain, such as a chair, window frame, or bush; stand on the far side of the obstacle from them so they have to climb onto it to get next to you. Doing so takes them several moves, giving you a few turns to beat them. You can then drag them to another obstacle if you like, but usually one is enough.

The main danger of fighting early on (aside from, you know, getting mobbed and killed) is infected bites, which work like this. At some point you will get grabbed, which is bad enough on its own; move away to escape it. While grabbing you, zombies can give you a "very deep bite," which will turn the affected limb's name blue. You need to disinfect such wounds ASAP -- you can use antiseptic from a first aid kit, or craft cattail jelly using one of a number of "outdoor survival" type books. Cattail jelly is the grease that makes the wheels of Cata turn, make a shitload of it as soon as you can.

megane fucked around with this message at 08:01 on May 20, 2020

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You can also cauterise bites with a lighter+knife or soldering iron. Do not do this.

Re cattail jelly, make a gallon of it and then just frickin' bathe in it every time you return to base. Slather it onto every body part. It'll help you heal faster.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 08:07 on May 20, 2020

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

After raiding a lab and getting several backpacks worth of extracted CBMs, I didn't find an autoclave. I tried raiding the town hospital, but while I found a lot of plastic pouches, no autoclave. I am beginning to get worried I spent all that time harvesting for nothing.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

It's also possible to learn the cattail jelly recipe from a quesg from rando NPCs. Getting that is the best quest a starting NPC can give you imo.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Heh, guess the autoclave didn't end up being an issue because I used an already sterilized CBM with an autodoc that I *thought* was secure, and ended up having a swimmer zombie eat my anesthetized torso to death. At least it was a painless death, I suppose.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I'm sure plenty of people have brought this up already, but do you guys just play your character until they become basically unkillable post-apocolyptic gods riding atop a death chariot?

I just started playing the game and started off with the convicted prisoner start. And after escaping prison and looting the next town over I'm sort of at a loss as to what my motivation is other than just see how long I can survive.

I get that this game is a sandbox (and a great one at that), but even rimworld, and factorio, hell even Minecraft has an option to 'wrap things up' once you feel like you've progresses sufficiently far. Not saying I'm there yet by any means but I do kind of wish there was more to the game other than attempting to avoid the lose condition for as long as possible

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

I'm sure plenty of people have brought this up already, but do you guys just play your character until they become basically unkillable post-apocolyptic gods riding atop a death chariot?

I just started playing the game and started off with the convicted prisoner start. And after escaping prison and looting the next town over I'm sort of at a loss as to what my motivation is other than just see how long I can survive.

I get that this game is a sandbox (and a great one at that), but even rimworld, and factorio, hell even Minecraft has an option to 'wrap things up' once you feel like you've progresses sufficiently far. Not saying I'm there yet by any means but I do kind of wish there was more to the game other than attempting to avoid the lose condition for as long as possible

There's prescripted quests, right? I suppose once you've completed the last quest, you've gotten as far as version 0.whatever has to offer. I would imagine some kind of closure is in the long term plans, it wouldn't surprise me if it doesn't become version 1.whatever until they have a formal "win", however rudimentary.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I managed to get into my first town, I had to kill about 6 zombies, a zombie dog and a zombie cop. There's a couple of fat zombies I'm avoiding, and I unfortunately managed to attract the attention of a fast zombie (or whatever the one is that is really quick). I killed that one too. The lack of a comprehensive wound system makes me worry excessively. Even if I try and kite zombies (swing, backstep, swing, backstep) they still manage to bite me even though there's no grab prompt.

They're consistently tearing through previous bandages and wounding me, but the bars are green so I suppose I'm okay? No need to keep bandaging? I used antiseptic from a first aid kit, but it says the outcome is poor, same with bandages I apply. So I'm at a loss as to whether I should disinfect these wounds or just let them heal naturally and save these bandages and antiseptic for more serious matters.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mr. Lobe posted:

After raiding a lab and getting several backpacks worth of extracted CBMs, I didn't find an autoclave. I tried raiding the town hospital, but while I found a lot of plastic pouches, no autoclave. I am beginning to get worried I spent all that time harvesting for nothing.

Find an autoclave isn't the end. The furniture sort require a ludicrous amount of plutonium cells to function. You have to find a portable autoclave, turn it into a mounted autoclave, then mount it in a vehicle* with a charged storage battery and a tank of water.

* does not have to be an actual vehicle, just something built using the vehicles system

Qubee posted:

I managed to get into my first town, I had to kill about 6 zombies, a zombie dog and a zombie cop. There's a couple of fat zombies I'm avoiding, and I unfortunately managed to attract the attention of a fast zombie (or whatever the one is that is really quick). I killed that one too. The lack of a comprehensive wound system makes me worry excessively. Even if I try and kite zombies (swing, backstep, swing, backstep) they still manage to bite me even though there's no grab prompt.

They're consistently tearing through previous bandages and wounding me, but the bars are green so I suppose I'm okay? No need to keep bandaging? I used antiseptic from a first aid kit, but it says the outcome is poor, same with bandages I apply. So I'm at a loss as to whether I should disinfect these wounds or just let them heal naturally and save these bandages and antiseptic for more serious matters.

Wait until you finish your raid before you bandage and disinfect. Being bandaged and disinfected will help you heal faster but not being so won't make you degrade or anything, and as you've noticed being hit again ruins the effect.
Your outcomes are 'poor' because your character is bad at First Aid and hence only getting a relatively small bonus (compared to what you could get if you were skilled).
Feel free to use antiseptic but definitely reserve a few doses in case of deep bite.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 09:49 on May 20, 2020

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

The Lone Badger posted:

Find an autoclave isn't the end. The furniture sort require a ludicrous amount of plutonium cells to function. You have to find a portable autoclave, turn it into a mounted autoclave, then mount it in a vehicle* with a charged storage battery and a tank of water.

* does not have to be an actual vehicle, just something built using the vehicles system

Wait until you finish your raid before you bandage and disinfect. Being bandaged and disinfected will help you heal faster but not being so won't make you degrade or anything, and as you've noticed being hit again ruins the effect.
Your outcomes are 'poor' because your character is bad at First Aid and hence only getting a relatively small bonus (compared to what you could get if you were skilled).
Feel free to use antiseptic but definitely reserve a few doses in case of deep bite.

I could have made a power structure from the many solar panels I was irrationally hoarding plus a bunch of scavenged car batteries, but I never found any autoclave, let alone a portable one is the problem. I am guessing they aren't guaranteed, are they.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I get that it's just to gate access to the zillions of CBMs you can scavenge from labs, but in principle an autoclave isn't so different from a pressure cooker. Considering the ridiculous latitude this game gives you in terms of what you craft, it's dissonant on a simulationist level that you can't make one.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Scour labs and you're bound to find one eventually. Or the Research Facility, that tends to have them.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

End-game, for me, tends to be seeing how many serums my character can take before either reaching transcendence or turning into a chimera while also driving overengineered vehicles at 200+mph just to see if the inevitable crash is survived. Running through towns, labs, or caves as fast as possible in search of dumb loot and cursed artifacts that are a gamble between becoming more obscenely powerful or exploding. Things like that. The more deathdefying the better.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 11:18 on May 20, 2020

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
See if your character can survive the 400 hits of meth you've hoarded.

So since someone mentioned AV problems with the launcher, I have a similar problem. My launcher needs to be run as administrator, asks me if I really truly want to run this program I double-clicked on, and when I try to unobsolete a mod, tells me I don't have permission to save the file and should consult an administrator.

Insert GIF of Hades going "I OWN YOU."

And yes, I've tried changing the file permissions, apparently my account has admin access, but the option to let my very own rear end edit these specific json files is still greyed out.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

weird that disinfectant works on extradimensional goo

It doesn't. The blob doesn't kill anyone.

Deep zombie bites kill you because you come down with sepsis.

It's still dumb that you clean wounds with disinfectant, rather than soap and water or saline irrigation, though. It doesn't really make sense, if a bite is deep enough to give you sepsis then just putting a little hydrogen peroxide on it shouldn't really help, at all.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Qubee posted:

Should I be as scared of zombies as I am? I'm venturing into my town as the evac shelter doesn't have sheets, and I want to board the evac shelter up and supply it so I can spend a few days settling in and getting the hang of things. But whenever I venture into town, as soon as zombies start shuffling towards me, I high-tail it back to the shelter. Can I beat them with my plank (12 str) or should I avoid at all costs?

I figured since it's my first character, I should probably play brazenly so I die quickly rather than spending ages setting up and dying to something really quick due to inexperience.
There was a lot of good advice already and here are my 2 cents.

Raiding in the day light should be something you do once you have some armor(8/8 defense early, 10/10 or better after that) and a decent weapon. When you're still squishy it's better to go out at night to take advantage of the vastly reduced sight ranges that zombies have. The move modes(") also allow you to crouch which reduces your noise level and lets you hide behind objects that are like at least waist high. You can scope out edges of towns in the daylight to figure out what you want to hit at night since the base vision range of your character is pretty far. Binoculars or a survivor telescope also double the range you explore on your map. Once you do raid during the day, it's important to master the honorable and ancient technique of "kiting". Move a few steps at a time and don't just jam your movement keys! Keep an eye on your hud because every creature that you can see will pop up there. Press Shift+v to examine the monsters in your field of view to see where they are exactly. Pressing Tab in that menu switches between looking at items and monsters. Also pressing x gives you a free-look mode where you can use the arrow keys to move your cursor around in your field of view. These tools are very important for spacial awareness! The Shift+v menu will also show you some information about the monsters you can see. If there is an exclamation mark on their name, then they have spotted you and will come towards you, if they are hostile. If you break line of sight, they will move to your last know location and also follow your scent trail. I'm not sure how the scent mechanics work, but it's important to remember that you can't just stop the pursuit by ducking into an alley. You want a bit of distance and some obstacles like cars or houses along the way.

Okay, with some of the basics covered, you can now prepare to kite. You need a safe "staging point" where you kite the zombies to. Ideally you also want to devise an exit/emergency strategy in case you pull something that you can't handle. This is a bit tricky early on, but generally speaking, having a working car nearby is a really safe bet. It's extra safe when said car is electronic, since those don't make engine noises. Or you can plan a route that leads you into a forest tile to break line of sight and slip away without going too deep into the forest itself. Or when you're deeper in a city, you can use cars and traffic jams/wrecks as obstacles to aid your escape. You can also go into the back of an enclosed car like an ambulance/security van and chill there for a while, as long as the zombies didn't see you do it. Moving through houses/streets that you haven't explored before your escape is very dangerous and not recommended, unless you absolutely have to! Let's work with the example of getting into a town from the outskirts. In that case, my staging point would just be the empty field next to the part of town I've chosen for my entry. If I don't have a car, I would look for a nearby forest tile as my escape route. If there's tall grass or rocks on the way, I can use those as obstacles. If I would have to escape that way, I would also try to use sprinting in bursts to get some distance before I hit the woods. Sprinting is stamina intensive though, so try to not dig into your last two bars of stamina. Just in case you are forced to fight. That's why you should try to do it in small bursts(if possible) and then switch back to walking for a bit to recover at least some small amount of the stamina you just burned. Staging points are also a dynamic concept. Because once you have cleared the area you were kiting from, you can move into it and use it as your next staging point. Clearing cities block by block(as long as you can deal with the enemies), with the road intersections as staging points is a common tactic I believe. At least I'm doing it like that and have been successful so far.

Right, let's finally get to the kiting part. As said, move slowly and watch your hud like a hawk. Once zombies show up, take a look at them. Most enemies give you a good indication as to their danger by their name and depending on what tileset you use, also with their representation. I use UnDeadPeople which is very good in that regard imo. If the zombie is nothing special, then you can kite it without any extra thoughts. Keep moving tile by tile, and check the Shift+v menu to see if it has noticed you. As soon as it does, stop and start to move back towards your staging point where you'll kill it in 1v1. Zombies that are slower than you will stop following if you kite them over a long distance, so you might have to move back and forth a bit to keep them on your trail. They also path in very direct ways and will run into open cars and then get stuck there if they aren't trong enough to smash through. Keep this in mind when you kite and try to lead them around such obstacles. It's very annoying to have to try to lure them out of the cars otherwise. You won't be able to just kite everything into 1v1 situations though, since sight ranges obviously overlap. If you have more than one zombie on your heels, then you want to evaluate that situation. If it's just basic zombies, then you can usually let it happen since they won't reach you all at once and you can quickly kill them as they approach. But if there is something dangerous following with them, then you either need to be sure that you can take it, find a way to split that group up into pieces and isolate the danger, or just get out and try again another day. It can also happen that the activity of zombies that follow you through the street stirs up other zombies in houses around it. Keep an eye on your mini-map and evaluate your situation if you suddenly see a bunch of red blips spilling into the streets. Usually that's a gtfo moment and you return later to kite the new group of zombies before you can move further into the city.

Since there are so many different zombies in the game, I would be sitting here for a day, if I would write kiting&fighting advices for each and everyone of them that I know about. Instead, I'm just going to stick to some of the more common "low-tier" specials. Boomer/gas/smoke zombies and their variations, require you to have an active gasmask equipped to safely engange them in melee. Also carry a towel to clean yourself if you catch bomer bile or something like that. Boomer/gas zombies make explosion noises on death, but it doesn't travel very far. Shrieker zombies and their variations can be an issue though, since they shriek every few rounds after they spot you, which draws zombies in the area towards their location. You really want to be sure that your staging point is safe when you kite them there. Otherwise they might draw a bunch of surprises from the area around you. It's usually a good idea to get out after you kill one and wait for a bit in a safe location, before you return to check if they attracted anything. There are also some zombies that can shriek without having a clue to it in their name. Survivor zombies for example. It's a good idea to keep an eye on your log for this, because the shrieking will show up there. Feral runners are very fast and you usually won't be able to kite them far without sprinting. Which is a bad idea due to the stamina drain. They aren't that tough tbh so just kill them once they catch up to you. Their evolved versions(feral hunter/predator) are very dangerous without good armor though! Do not mess with them early on and prepare to die if you can't escape safely. You will never outrun them, even with full sprint. Rollerskates might let you do it, but I wouldn't bank on it. But once you have some good armor, you can also just kill them once they catch up to you since they aren't that tough. Their threat comes from their high move and attack speed, so it goes down a lot once you can tank their hits. Zapper zombies need a "non conductive" weapon to hit them! Otherwise you'll get zapped on every hit you land. The info box for every weapon tells you if it's conductive or not and a basic quarterstaff is a good early option to carry on you. Skeletal zombies are fairly slow and not that much stronger than their fleshy counterparts, but they have high cut resistance and moderate bash resistance. It's best to use a bash weapon against them and the quarterstaff is a good option again. Their next form, the shocker, is much more dangerous and should be avoided until you have a decent gun. Be mindful of your stamina when you fight them though. Since they can take more hits, you can get into trouble if your stamina was already low when you started the fight with them. I guess zombie soldiers should also be mentioned here, since they also have high cut resistance and are best handled with bash damage. And lastly, everything with brute in the name should be avoided early on. Not only are these zombie variants tough as nails, they also have a special throw attack that will fling you away. This will do damage to all your limbs at once, and you will also need to get up again after you hit the ground, which might costs you precious time. I think the attack is more dangerous if they manage to fling you into a car/wall but that hasn't happened to me so far.

I'm sure a lot if this seems daunting for a fresh player, but it honestly won't take long before you learn the ins and outs of raiding, zombies and their variants and what tactics to use

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 21, 2020

Qubee
May 31, 2013

That was awesome advice and I really enjoyed reading it. I've been bashing normal zombies in the starter town, and I found a farm which is enclosed to the south, east and west, and has a small 4-tile-wide opening to the north. I managed to tame a horse and am riding it around! Trying to find rope so I can tie it down to prevent it following me into dangerous places, I can't sneak really well when there's a horse clopping into the house behind me. Trying to figure out how to harvest plant fibre so I can make lots of rope relatively easily. The kiting / staging area advice has got me pumped, I was having fun just imagining the scenarios but actually doing it myself is going to be heaps more enjoyable.

I'm still religiously bandaging my wounds but I'm not sure how effective or wasteful it is. And then I get into a fight and zombies smack the bandages off.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Mr. Lobe posted:

Heh, guess the autoclave didn't end up being an issue because I used an already sterilized CBM with an autodoc that I *thought* was secure, and ended up having a swimmer zombie eat my anesthetized torso to death. At least it was a painless death, I suppose.

Typical american healthcare all told.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Motherfucker posted:

Typical american healthcare all told.

Don't be absurd, that's vampires, not zombies.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I think I'm just going to start a new world and use freeform character creation to recreate my character. I am not finding cities, and I have miles and miles of road hemmed in by forest before I even have a chance to get to anywhere that could generate a new one.
Is there anything that won't generate if I set city distance to zero or to very low?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Qubee posted:

I'm still religiously bandaging my wounds but I'm not sure how effective or wasteful it is. And then I get into a fight and zombies smack the bandages off.
It was mentioned but safe the bandages/disinfectant for when you're done with fighting. HP healing does happen over time and is not instant or quick. Zombies will destroy your bandages and get grime into your disinfected wounds as you learned. This will make you waste supplies which you could easily avoid. Painkillers are good to take while you're still out and fighting, since pain will reduce your performance and can seriously gently caress you up if it gets too high. But only use disinfectant right away for deep bites and bandage if you bleed. All other healing can be done when you're back home and chill

Also kinda related, if you find an MP3 player hold on to it with all your might and keep it fed with batteries! It's the best mood boosting tool in the game and offsets a lot of common mood issues. Whenever you see the mood face dip to red, flip on your tunes and be happy again

Qubee posted:

That was awesome advice and I really enjoyed reading it. I've been bashing normal zombies in the starter town, and I found a farm which is enclosed to the south, east and west, and has a small 4-tile-wide opening to the north. I managed to tame a horse and am riding it around! Trying to find rope so I can tie it down to prevent it following me into dangerous places, I can't sneak really well when there's a horse clopping into the house behind me. Trying to figure out how to harvest plant fibre so I can make lots of rope relatively easily.
Howdy, fellow farm dweller :tipshat:

Horses are pretty OP as they have infinite stamina and are faster than any other creature in the game I think. Also, all you need to tie an animal down is a short rope. You can find those by removing seatbelts or craft it with 6 long strings and no skills. Iirc you get them from removing curtains and can also find them in cupboards. Based on your posting, you'll probably be happy to hear that you can also tame, cats, dogs, cows and chickens for your farm life. Each one needs their own type of food to tame and there is a bunch of things you can do with them afterwards. I haven't really delved into all that though and usually only tame a doggy or two to make my base feel less empty.

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 20, 2020

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Qubee posted:

Even if I try and kite zombies (swing, backstep, swing, backstep) they still manage to bite me even though there's no grab prompt.
So, there are actually two distinct "bite" attacks, confusingly enough. I think they give slightly different messages, but I don't remember. One is just a "normal" bite, can happen any time, and just deals damage. The other can only be used while grabbing, and does more damage along with a chance for a blue bite.

quote:

To deal with just normal damage (i.e. the HP bars going down), I just keep a pile of boiled makeshift bandages and a gallon jug of cattail jelly by my bed, and apply them to all wounded areas before I go to sleep. You essentially absorb healing out of applied bandages/disinfectant over time. Zombies will knock them off, as mentioned, and you heal faster while sleeping anyway.

This is independent of their use for deep bites (i.e. "TORSO" is written in blue) and bleeding ("TORSO" is in red). Those should be handled immediately, making it worthwhile to carry a few bandages/doses of disinfectant around with you.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The Autoclave power requirements thing is pretty dumb. Let us aload a few heavy batteries in there instead, cowards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
How do I get dogs to keep following me? They tend to wander off after I've tamed them with dog food.