Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Its soap opera for kids, why would you end it. :v

Because at some point kids stop being kids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Pretty much any children that started reading One Piece when it first came out are at least in their 30s. It's been 23 years, you'd have to be a super precocious kid to be going reading it before you were 7.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Skwirl posted:

yes

but theres always more kids

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Synthbuttrange posted:

yes

Yeah, you can switch to reruns at that point. That's why so many American cartoons (back when Saturday Morning cartoons were a thing) stopped at fiftyish episodes.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, you can switch to reruns at that point. That's why so many American cartoons (back when Saturday Morning cartoons were a thing) stopped at fiftyish episodes.

Yeah, but switching to reruns means that, if you want to produce new episodes, you have to make an entirely new thing. If you go the Pokemon route and have the entire thing be basically the same template and characters forever, you don't have to worry about getting a new name out there, and you can basically keep doing the same thing.

Of course, this is only actually a choice with cartoons or comics. With live action you either have to acknowledge the progression of time, or keep making new stuff.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Woebin posted:

Thanks for reminding me of this.

Having 90’s michael jackson means there probably would be 0.0001% left of the budget for anything after his salary.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Skwirl posted:

Their purchasing power is only going to increase as they get older and nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Quality varies but it's a pretty great 80sMCU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The costumes still look too modern. They need to be closer to the 80s super hero films that did exist.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Blair Underwood being their pick for Black Panther says so much about whoever created this.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Skwirl posted:

Blair Underwood being their pick for Black Panther says so much about whoever created this.

In what sense?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Michael Jackson as Star-Lord also completely misses what worked about Chris Pratt's casting. He was an actor for comedies that happened to have some unexplored chops elsewhere, which brought a lot in making GotG much lighter than everything around it. Pratt only really became a 'serious' get after stuff like GotG gave him some credibility for that kind of star.

Transplant that into the 80s, and you'd probably want... Eddie Murphy, maybe? Any of the Ghostbusters? I know in the nineties it's absolutely a Will Smith role.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 10:29 on May 20, 2020

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Cleretic posted:

Michael Jackson as Star-Lord also completely misses what worked about Chris Pratt's casting. He was an actor for comedies that happened to have some unexplored chops elsewhere, which brought a lot in making GotG much lighter than everything around it. Pratt only really became a 'serious' get after stuff like GotG gave him some credibility for that kind of star.

Transplant that into the 80s, and you'd probably want... Eddie Murphy, maybe? Any of the Ghostbusters?

The Ghostbusters were all way too old for that casting to work. Maybe Rick Moranis, but he was a bit typecast as the nebbish type. Would Dave Foley have worked in that role?

Maybe Kurt Russel if he was doing a nerdy version of Jack Burton.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Synthbuttrange posted:

yes

Oda, the author of One Piece, has Q&A sections on his comic in the collected volumes. Like a year ago or so one of the questions was "How did Luffy and Zoro meet?" (For context, they met in like chapter 3 or 4 iirc, which was 20+ years ago.) So you already have new readers jumping in while having no idea on how the characters got where they are now.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

In what sense?

It means they thought Denzel would be too political of a choice.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Woebin posted:

Thanks for reminding me of this.

Shame for leaving out Bill Bixby.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Skwirl posted:

It means they thought Denzel would be too political of a choice.

I guess. Or it could have been because Blaire would have been 30 in this hypothetical 90's Black Panther film as opposed to Denzel who would have been 40. And Blaire would be close to Wesley Snipes as Kilmonger.

Also at this time, Blaire was a relatively unknown actor coming off Just Cause or maybe Gattica depending on when this movie would have been made.
I think the idea was to get a young, up and coming actor who wasnt famous enough to command a huge price tag before they do the franchise stuff.
Just speculating.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Cleretic posted:

Transplant that into the 80s, and you'd probably want... Eddie Murphy, maybe? Any of the Ghostbusters? I know in the nineties it's absolutely a Will Smith role.

Sure but lol if you don't spend your quarantine pining for a feature length Captain EO

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

MikeJF posted:

Quality varies but it's a pretty great 80sMCU

This is the only casting I'm mad we didn't get, but at the same time I'd still rather have the modern version, because the vfx really made the film work.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

If these movies were made in the 80s or early 90s then Fury would have been a white guy. Possibly Clint Eastwood for that Hard Edged Shoot First Ask Questions Never kind of guy.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

He'd be played by David Hasselhoff

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

howe_sam posted:

This is the only casting I'm mad we didn't get, but at the same time I'd still rather have the modern version, because the vfx really made the film work.

Ehh. Just a lot of CGI. It looks neat but after like 30 seconds in the ~mirror dimension~ your brain starts sliding off it.

Real movie magic is something else entirely.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Michael Keaton, then? He was a light comedy actor before he did Batman; a whole lot of fans back in 1989 expected the movie to be a disaster because they cast "that guy from Mr. Mom" as Batman.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Some of the casting choices are pretty clever, like swapping Gina Carano with Cynthia Rothrock in the Deadpool one and I'd totally see Grace Jones as Nebula as well.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

"I'll be -- women!"

Next: WOMEN AND MORE WOMEN

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The Ghost Who Stalks

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Modern VFX made that particular Dr. Strange script work but "we can do Inception, too" was really not most people's idea of what a Dr. Strange movie would be. There isn't much in a typical Strange story you couldn't do with 80s effects. The 80s were a constant stream of fantastical movies and effects and they could have done really good movies for most if not all Marvel characters (budgets permitting).

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

80s Dr Strange, but with these sound effects

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKLV5FfumNE&t=5s

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
I don't get why they pick Lena Olin for, I assume, Jane Foster and not Black Widow.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Mikl posted:

Oda, the author of One Piece, has Q&A sections on his comic in the collected volumes. Like a year ago or so one of the questions was "How did Luffy and Zoro meet?" (For context, they met in like chapter 3 or 4 iirc, which was 20+ years ago.) So you already have new readers jumping in while having no idea on how the characters got where they are now.
Yeah, I'm one of those, though I at least know the broad strokes of the chapters I didn't read. Lol at One Piece making it to the point where new kids climbing aboard treat established events like unknown backstory details, though.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

To be fair to the guy making those posters I'm sure Mel Gibson loves Norse mythology, or at least a version of it.

root
Jun 17, 2000

Booska mask replica...

3D Megadoodoo posted:

"I'll be -- women!"

Next: WOMEN AND MORE WOMEN

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
why are you debating "appropriate" actors? you'd get christopher reeve playing a "college age" cub reporter spiderman and you'll like it.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Mystery Men Comics #5 (1939)

House of Mystery #14 (1953)

The Fantastic Four #4 (1962)

The Vision and the Scarlet Witch #6 (1986)

The Adventures of Spider-Man #3 (1996)

Scarlet Spider #12 (2013)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

:lol:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

howe_sam posted:

Jodorowsky's Strange would never get made, but the preproduction materials would inform wizard movies and comic books for decades to come

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Yeah I don't care for the 80's spider-man being a one to one re-cast of BTTF, but otherwise I like most of the choices

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

I appreciate this.

Darthemed posted:

<--TO BE CONTINUED--

quote:

Scarlet Spider #12 (2013)

...Why Belgians, specifically?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Darthemed posted:

I'm just glad Doc isn't sticking his pinky out while he holds the teacup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Mikl posted:

I appreciate this.

<--TO BE CONTINUED--

...Why Belgians, specifically?

She's about to commit a murder on a train with a bunch of people