Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

The_Doctor posted:

Where were Kyle and co? I must have blinked and missed them.

they show up when bow's making his big speech late in the season, and rogelio also has one of hordak's baby imps(?) in a baby carrier thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Booky posted:

they show up when bow's making his big speech late in the season, and rogelio also has one of hordak's baby imps(?) in a baby carrier thing

Ah, thanks! I’ve seen the screen cap, but couldn’t place it.

i can’t believe they Hermione and Ron-ed Bow and Glimmer. Bow needs a cute boy!

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

He's only dating Glimmer to get closer to Eternia's Most Feral Eligible Bachelor, Micah. I'm kidding of course but it does amuse me that there's literally not enough male characters for Bow to have a boyfriend. Kyle and Rogelio are together, Seahawk is with Mermista, Hordak is with Entrapta, and Swift Wind is a horse. Micah really is the only available male character and I love it. No overabundance of male characters here.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I don't think it's iron-clad that Bow and Glimmer are dating. Like, in Adora's dream of the future they have couple-y mannerisms, but that's pretty much it. That moment also seems like "here's something Adora wants" rather than an actual precognition of what's to come.

I definitely read the "I love you" as "you are my best friend and I care about you immensely, and I need to let you know that before we both maybe die, especially since things have been bad between us lately". It's open to interpretation I guess, but you'd think if it was a big confession of Hidden Heterosexual Love they'd kiss.

Plus, I think it's cool (and on brand for She-Ra's general message) to normalise telling your friends you love them. Media needs more of that! Especially close friendships between a man and a woman that aren't a secretly simmering romance plot!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Bow and Glimmer got the traditional gay "maybe they hooked up after the show (because we don't want to offend our sponsors)" treatment. It's actually really funny.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Not every declaration of love is accompanied by a kiss :eng101:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

The_Doctor posted:

Where were Kyle and co? I must have blinked and missed them.

That was the one disappointment, History's Greatest Monster never got his comeuppance :mad:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CuwiKhons posted:

He's only dating Glimmer to get closer to Eternia's Most Feral Eligible Bachelor, Micah. I'm kidding of course but it does amuse me that there's literally not enough male characters for Bow to have a boyfriend. Kyle and Rogelio are together, Seahawk is with Mermista, Hordak is with Entrapta, and Swift Wind is a horse. Micah really is the only available male character and I love it. No overabundance of male characters here.

:hmmyes:

On all those points. Micah is very much daddy.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

The_Doctor posted:

:hmmyes:

On all those points. Micah is very much daddy.

Evil Micah was too horny

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
I binged the whole drat season last night and, well, I LOVED it. Yes. I am lightly disappointed it's over because all my crying breakfast friend type shows are ending.

However, was I punch drunk or did the Dads name drop Eternia down in the ruins? I also heard the cannon explanation for the use of Greyskull, in that its the name of the resistance cell Mara was in. Though why it's honor became the trigger phrase for the sword is a mystery. Maybe it was something else pre-Mara and resistance? Maybe the cell was named after the Castle on Eternia after Horde Prime ostensibly razed the planet?

edit: "We do NOT throw tanks at our friends!"

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i personally read it as bow and glimmer being close friends for so long meant that they just decided to hook up after that "I love you x2" scene, but it's definitely open ended!

i'm also really wondering what happened to angella after her sacrifice? she was just stated to be stuck in the void between dimensions like gilgamesh from ff5; maybe she could still be found post-show?? :ohdear:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Bow and Glimmer dating honestly seemed like it had been likely since a couple seasons ago, so I wasn't particularly surprised when they implied that.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Senerio posted:

Bow and Glimmer got the traditional gay "maybe they hooked up after the show (because we don't want to offend our sponsors)" treatment. It's actually really funny.

lmao this is exactly it

season was flawless. problematic redemption arcs are actually what i live for

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Booky posted:

There's also been a cute piece of artwork released by Noelle maybe not her but somebody on the crew where they appear alongside what looks like a big collection of all the canon couples in a big wedding.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CaptainCrunch posted:

However, was I punch drunk or did the Dads name drop Eternia down in the ruins? I also heard the cannon explanation for the use of Greyskull, in that its the name of the resistance cell Mara was in. Though why it's honor became the trigger phrase for the sword is a mystery. Maybe it was something else pre-Mara and resistance? Maybe the cell was named after the Castle on Eternia after Horde Prime ostensibly razed the planet?

They may not have but that was definitely by the POWER of Grayskull the first time she went SheRa v2

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

CaptainCrunch posted:

I binged the whole drat season last night and, well, I LOVED it. Yes. I am lightly disappointed it's over because all my crying breakfast friend type shows are ending.

edit: "We do NOT throw tanks at our friends!"

I recall Eternia being a password a few times in the series.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
of all the things I'll miss about this show the most, Adora's nerdy snort laugh is one of them

also drunk adora

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Pyrotoad posted:

There's also been a cute piece of artwork
Oh poo poo does that mean Catra's Loser Squad was a triple polycule? :aaa:

So just finished this today and I started to really appreciate it at I'm proud of you Catra and by the time the big gay kiss happened I was 110% :getin:

I think the fact we can debate the state of characters at the ending is really positive though I do note a lack of handwringing at Penitent Hordak getting Ace/Aro/Demi-groove back aside from the pointed Mermista comment. biggest sin this season was Chipped Mermista not being around to drop her sick burns

I would love to see what this group could do with a stab at He-Man.

And hey oh poo poo did I completely miss a conversation about how Entrapta's custom Space Suits were functional and non-sexualized for the women, but Bow got a motherfucking Abs-Window? because that poo poo was amazing.:blush:

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

even if you want to read the show's genre stuff as merely metaphors for more realistic drama (and I think the show really tries to have its cake and eat it too on that point in the writing), I think it's pretty interesting that Scorpia (who's more or less straightforwardly emotionally abused and has her self-confidence destroyed by Catra on the non-fantastical level of the story, a subplot that gets its own musical number this season) and Entrapta (it's hard to read this one non-literally it's kind of just attempted murder) pretty much have to be kind and forgive Catra outright for the arc to work at all. I think we honest to God spend more time this season complaining that Entrapta likes robots than dealing with Catra's relationship to anyone else other than Adora, which is a lame payoff for the four seasons she spends interacting with non-Adora characters.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I don't think Entrapta and Scorpia are physically capable of holding grudges.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The previous season showing us that Scorp's family capitulated to Hordak, likely because they knew they'd get extincted if they didn't, predisposed her to be helplessly obsequious and to downplay her own needs/strengths.
that whole backstory was heartbreaking with her basically going "Yeah I guess we had a kingdom and a queen heh maybe i'm a princess too only the gem never really responded to me. . . but, uh, hey I get this neat Horde gear now and a barracks and stuff that's great too"

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I hope there's a comic or something that gets made that gets to explore some of the stuff being talked about.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

entrapta got pretty passive aggressive(??) at catra and her former actions at one point in s5, but scorpia's a softie for sure! :v:

Xelkelvos posted:

I hope there's a comic or something that gets made that gets to explore some of the stuff being talked about.

a comic would be nice, or maybe an epilogue OVA or miniseries!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Booky posted:

a comic would be nice, or maybe an epilogue OVA or miniseries!
She-Ra and the Masters of the Universe!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I feel like Scorpia's powers came out of nowhere? She could definitely sting with her tail before, but crazy red lightning everywhere and shooting from her claws was new?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

The_Doctor posted:

I feel like Scorpia's powers came out of nowhere? She could definitely sting with her tail before, but crazy red lightning everywhere and shooting from her claws was new?

Black garnet was her princess stone, they just never let her near it until s4.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

FilthyImp posted:

She-Ra and the Masters of the Universe!

BY THE POWER OF HAIR POOF

(but not the one you expect!!)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

That's from the Crystal from the end of the previous season.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

My first impression on the new season had me thinking that it hosed up handling an abusive character with shadoweaver and especially catra, but I think the good takes itt have mellowed me on this point. Not sure how I feel about it overall, but I admit I'm twitchy on deceptions of abuse in media generally, and also watched the entire show high. An excellent excuse to rewatch the show, tho.

That said, I think it's pretty clear that the show sets up "I Love You" as an explicitly romantic relationship thing; We have Catra/Adora, Spinnerella/Netassia, and iirc Mermista/Seahawk, with Entrapta/Hordak being the exception that proves the rule. I'm pretty sure by this pattern that Bow/Glimmer were supposed to be implied to be romantically dating, which isn't really something I care for, especially because it means the show does not normalize saying it to platonic friends. (Which I'm all in for, myself.) Am I imagining things?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I think Bow and Glimmer are basically the two besties that everyone thinks may have feelings for each other but no one asks and they have this nebulous platonic-but-close thing going on since they always hang out and poo poo.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I think its more 'wow scorpia does not feel like the natural fit for this nor does this feel like it fits just... at large' like:

Plant control - Flowery hippy
Ice powers - Kid dressed in furs
Sparkly powers like teleportation - Girl with glittery hair
Water powers - Mermaid girl
Red force lightning but also limited telekinisis sometimes - A scorpion woman with pincers instead of hands.

Its kinda jarring but than again I don't know what 'scorpion themed' powers would actually look like or why one of the five crystals belongs to a dynasty of scorpion human hybrids to begin with anyway.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

FilthyImp posted:

I think Bow and Glimmer are basically the two besties that everyone thinks may have feelings for each other but no one asks and they have this nebulous platonic-but-close thing going on since they always hang out and poo poo.

That's exactly how I read it! I know a few permutations of this in real life and no one knows

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Honestly, Keston John really climbed up the ranks of my favorite voice actor list this season. His Hordak was always great, but the way he differentiates between Prime and Wrong Hordak and all the other clones while still technically being the same voice? Perfection.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I haven't watched since season 1. Is the new season the last one? Is it worth binging through?

Also feel free to spoil me slightly on if Catra continues becoming a worse villain or if she tries turning poo poo around eventually.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Nerdietalk posted:

Honestly, Keston John really climbed up the ranks of my favorite voice actor list this season. His Hordak was always great, but the way he differentiates between Prime and Wrong Hordak and all the other clones while still technically being the same voice? Perfection.

Yeah, for real. Horde Prime and the clones are maybe the best voice performance of the season - not just Prime's menace, but the smarmy, adoring fanaticism of his "brothers" and the way it transitions into the gentle bemusement of Wrong Hordak. So good!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Zerilan posted:

I haven't watched since season 1. Is the new season the last one? Is it worth binging through?

Also feel free to spoil me slightly on if Catra continues becoming a worse villain or if she tries turning poo poo around eventually.

This new season is the last one and the series has concluded! Definitely worth binging through, unless you dropped it because you hated what the show was; if you're expecting it to change its style in some way, it doesn't. If you dropped it because you didn't have time or got caught up with stuff, I'd say it's definitely worth watching all the way through.

To answer your Catra question: Yes

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Zerilan posted:

She eventually does, but it's gonna get worse before it gets better. Season 3 will really push your limits on how much you care about her, in particular, because that's Catra at her worst.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Pyrotoad posted:

She eventually does, but it's gonna get worse before it gets better. Season 3 will really push your limits on how much you care about her, in particular, because that's Catra at her worst.

I found her really sympathetic in season 1 despite as much of an rear end in a top hat she kinda is from the start, and my enjoyment of the show in s1 was like 80/20 Catra/Entrapta. I knew she got a lot worse in s2/3 though which kinda pushed me away from wanting to watch until knowing whether it was just an endless downhill slide or if she ever starts to improve.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Pyrotoad posted:

Yeah. You're going to see a really bad (spoilers in case) downward spiral from her and it's tough to watch. But, she'll get there in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Motherfucker posted:

Red force lightning but also limited telekinisis sometimes - A scorpion woman with pincers instead of hands.
It's just because she uses a paralyzing electric attack and sting = paralysis. But she's also the most removed from her gempower, too.

It might make sense if the Black Garnet harnessed, uh, negative energy... somehow? And... if the bugpeople were, like, legendary badass warriors?
Because then it might be that Scorpy never resonated with the stone because she was such a dopey lighthearted goof? And that it helped keep the balance between all the other creative powers?

Man, I swear that Catra was one of the princesses in the S1 segment when LightHope explains how Etheria works and I kept hoping she was somehow related to Magic Stealthcat and it would be that both she and Adora were kidnapped and at the end they both get She-Ra powers