Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

darnon posted:

Typically there's a gas generator system that pressurizes and hucks the missile out of the launch tube into the air before the primary motor ignites. So it's already a good few stories above the trailer and then it's boogieing out of there pretty quick.

Topol-M

Is this video in real-time at the start? Looking at the cap falling off, it doesn't look like it's been sped up, but if that's the case, the launch tube gets up there fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Proper Kerni ng posted:

If you used Sprint x 17 for surface-to-surface it would go from Mar-a-Lago to Mare Marginis in about an hour and 45 minutes. Not quite Futurama Speed, but still a bit much for most non-apocalypse applications.

Bruh... if you're expecting a nuclear event, and I cannot emphasize this enough, do not fukken look directly at it.

One of my great grandmothers survived the 1917 Halifax Explosion and was temporarily blinded when, like a fuckload of other Haligonians, she looked out the window to take a look at the ship burning in the harbour. She said later on that she'd have rather hid in the basement.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Fearless posted:

One of my great grandmothers survived the 1917 Halifax Explosion and was temporarily blinded when, like a fuckload of other Haligonians, she looked out the window to take a look at the ship burning in the harbour. She said later on that she'd have rather hid in the basement.

gently caress she was lucky to survive, weren't a lot of the casualties from that due to flying glass?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

darnon posted:

And sometimes you get the fun scenario of the missile popping out of the launch tube and just flopping over when it fails to ignite. Like so:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cikuNhTjCe8

Many of these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjH8Em5Kv18

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

What happens when this happens on a VLS on a ship?

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
That happens.

And then it also happened to the Germans three years later:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8TaIP-TgRw

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/kingstonareif/status/1227782902378876928?s=21

lol that tomahawks are now the “Marines cheap” long range surface to surface fires option now.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
In the absence of a viable State Department, Tomahawks have become precision diplomacy.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Memento posted:

Is this video in real-time at the start? Looking at the cap falling off, it doesn't look like it's been sped up, but if that's the case, the launch tube gets up there fast.

There's a very noticeable jump in the video, visible in all the shots, when the tube is almost vertical, then to fully vertical. I'd imagine that it takes significantly longer than they want you to know about to get that last little bit.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Edit probably erroneous information removed.

LtCol J. Krusinski fucked around with this message at 07:00 on May 19, 2020

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Judging by the clouds there's only a few seconds skip in both shots.

It's also fairly quick in this night launch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvA9GAufqlI

darnon fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 19, 2020

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

darnon posted:

Judging by the clouds there's only a few seconds skip in both shots.

It's also fairly quick in this night launch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvA9GAufqlI

You seem to be correct on this. Thanks for sharing that.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Anyone have any links handy about training events where nuke silo commanders refused to launch and were sacked, or other similar refusals of absolute orders? I’m making a small group study about it in the Army. Not just American, but british, too.

I remember reading about British politician Denis Healey, but he isn’t under absolute orders such as a uniformed officer would be.

Major Harold Hering of the US Air Force was fired for the hypothetical question of ”how do I know the president is sane?”, speaking of Nixon.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 07:38 on May 19, 2020

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Harold Haring, Stanislav Petrov, and Vasili Arkhipov

E: Sgt. Jeff Kennedy recieved a Letter of Reprimand for violating the two-man rule and entering the launch control center alone to read critical pressure gagues during the Little Rock Titan Silo fire before being med-boarded out of the AF due to injuries recieved during that incident

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 07:58 on May 19, 2020

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

large hands posted:

gently caress she was lucky to survive, weren't a lot of the casualties from that due to flying glass?

There were about 800 or so people rendered permanently blind from the blast-- the Canadian National Institute for the Blind was created in 1918 in large part to help the who lost their eyesight afterwards (and from the Great War as well).

Boston in particular, but Massachusetts as a whole moved mountains to help afterwards. Nova Scotia was very nearly the 14th colony to join the Revolution and there are extensive ties between NS and New England that go back centuries. A lot of people in that area have kin across the border (in either direction). My own family settled near Boston on arrival in the new world, but was subsequently a part of a migration of British settlers from the American colonies into lands now vacated by expulsion of the Acadians.

Anyways, what happened in Halifax was extensively documented and studied by the people working in the Manhattan Project so as to get a sense of just what could happen when a singular, massive explosion took place in a built up area (estimates put the force of the explosion to be equivalent to nearly 3 kilotons of TNT). The devastation that this sort of event causes is very difficult for most of us to fully comprehend; whatever emergency responses that aren't disabled by such an event find their ability to respond effectively severely degraded and this doesn't really go away. Halifax was damned lucky to have the support of the rest of Canada, big chunks of the northeastern US and the British Empire-- I shudder to think what would have happened had the rail lines been fully severed.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

TURN YOUR KEY, SIR!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Vahakyla posted:

Anyone have any links handy about training events where nuke silo commanders refused to launch and were sacked, or other similar refusals of absolute orders? I’m making a small group study about it in the Army. Not just American, but british, too.

I remember reading about British politician Denis Healey, but he isn’t under absolute orders such as a uniformed officer would be.

Major Harold Hering of the US Air Force was fired for the hypothetical question of ”how do I know the president is sane?”, speaking of Nixon.

The good news is that the USAF has since been packed with death cultists, so they will never again fail to bring about nuclear armageddon.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Platystemon posted:

The good news is that the USAF has since been packed with death cultists, so they will never again fail to bring about nuclear armageddon.

It's good that we've found something for the death cultists to do. I'm always glad when people with challenges find something they excel at.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

shame on an IGA posted:

Harold Haring, Stanislav Petrov, and Vasili Arkhipov

I don't know Haring, but neither Petrov nor Arkhipov violated direct orders from a superior officer. Petrov made a legitimate judgment call, and Arkhipov was the superior officer. Both great men to be sure, but not the movie scenario of refusing to turn the key despite the deranged general shouting orders.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Scratch Monkey posted:

TURN YOUR KEY, SIR!
Hey look, it's a very young Michael Madsen.

(The superior officer he's threatening is a young John Spencer)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

FMguru posted:

Hey look, it's a very young Michael Madsen.

(The superior officer he's threatening is a young John Spencer)

A superior officer who was just telling him where to score the best weed prior to the "end the world" transmission.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Platystemon posted:

Is it really Armageddon if you're blown into the loving embrace of Christ? 9/10 AF generals say no!

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Murgos posted:

Fun fact #2 trident missiles have a physical safety in the form of a firing pin attached to a lanyard. Once the missile is far enough away the lanyard yanks out the firing pin which starts the rocket motor (I assume with concurrence from guidance).

I'm picturing one of those brightly colored braided lanyards my kids made in 1st grade art class.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fearless posted:

There were about 800 or so people rendered permanently blind from the blast-- the Canadian National Institute for the Blind was created in 1918 in large part to help the who lost their eyesight afterwards (and from the Great War as well).

Boston in particular, but Massachusetts as a whole moved mountains to help afterwards. Nova Scotia was very nearly the 14th colony to join the Revolution and there are extensive ties between NS and New England that go back centuries. A lot of people in that area have kin across the border (in either direction). My own family settled near Boston on arrival in the new world, but was subsequently a part of a migration of British settlers from the American colonies into lands now vacated by expulsion of the Acadians.

Anyways, what happened in Halifax was extensively documented and studied by the people working in the Manhattan Project so as to get a sense of just what could happen when a singular, massive explosion took place in a built up area (estimates put the force of the explosion to be equivalent to nearly 3 kilotons of TNT). The devastation that this sort of event causes is very difficult for most of us to fully comprehend; whatever emergency responses that aren't disabled by such an event find their ability to respond effectively severely degraded and this doesn't really go away. Halifax was damned lucky to have the support of the rest of Canada, big chunks of the northeastern US and the British Empire-- I shudder to think what would have happened had the rail lines been fully severed.

Huh, I thought retina-searing flashes were a unique feature of nuclear detonations, is there a threshold on conventional explosives for this or was it a specific type of ordinance? Were there flash burns as well?

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

zoux posted:

Huh, I thought retina-searing flashes were a unique feature of nuclear detonations, is there a threshold on conventional explosives for this or was it a specific type of ordinance? Were there flash burns as well?

It's not retina damage, it's a face full of glass shards when the shock wave gets to the window you're looking through.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Yeah, a lot of the city's population ran to their windows or down to the harbour to watch the burning ship, without knowing its cargo.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

The explosion itself dished out the part of the harbour where it occurred-- more than a century later, the ocean bed remains blasted flat (aside from discarded shopping carts and car parts).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wow I assumed it was the same thing as say Hiroshima because that is an insane number of people to be specifically blinded by glass. How long did the ship burn before it went up

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Wikipedia posted:

. On the Mont-Blanc, the impact damaged benzol barrels stored on deck, leaking vapors which were ignited by sparks from the collision, setting off a fire on board that quickly grew out of control. Approximately 20 minutes later at 9:04:35 am, the Mont-Blanc exploded.

Nearly all structures within an 800-metre (half-mile) radius, including the community of Richmond, were obliterated.[4] A pressure wave snapped trees, bent iron rails, demolished buildings, grounded vessels (including Imo, which was washed ashore by the ensuing tsunami), and scattered fragments of Mont-Blanc for kilometres. Across the harbour, in Dartmouth, there was also widespread damage.[1] A tsunami created by the blast wiped out the community of the Mi'kmaq First Nation who had lived in the Tufts Cove area for generations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Fearless posted:

The explosion itself dished out the part of the harbour where it occurred-- more than a century later, the ocean bed remains blasted flat (aside from discarded shopping carts and car parts).

It's a fuckin gold mine, Julian!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Captain von Trapp posted:

It's not retina damage, it's a face full of glass shards when the shock wave gets to the window you're looking through.

Even in Hiroshima, many of the people who were permanently blinded had it happen from flying glass. Many people, especially children, were trying to see what was happening, and a blast can shatter windows at much greater distances than it can destroy buildings. As a result, Hiroshima now has one of the best schools for the blind in the world.

As it happens, this is the reasoning behind Duck and Cover. It won't save children in the fireball zone, but there's a much larger number of schools where hiding under desks would protect the students from flying shards of glass.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/Oriana0214/status/1262961152763604992

Didn’t a Raptor crash last week too

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Does coronavirus affect the planes themselves :ohdear:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

priznat posted:

Does coronavirus affect the planes themselves :ohdear:

Better feed the engines lucky coins for protection.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

priznat posted:

It's a fuckin gold mine, Julian!

I was hoping someone would catch that.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

33rd FW PAO posted:

-- NEWS RELEASE --

An F-35A Lightning II assigned to the 58th Fighter Squadron crashed upon landing around 9:30 p.m. today at Eglin Air Force Base, Fla. The pilot successfully ejected and was transported to the 96th Medical Group Hospital at Eglin AFB, Fla., for evaluation and monitoring.

The pilot is in stable condition. At the time of the accident, the pilot was participating in a routine night training sortie. First responders from the 96th Test Wing are on the scene and the site is secured.

The accident is under investigation. There was no loss of life or damage to civilian property. The name of the pilot is not being released this time.

Please contact the 33rd Fighter Wing Public Affairs office at (850) 226-3876 or 33fwpublicaffairs@gmail.com with any questions.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
33fw public affairs at gmail dot com?

seriously?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I didn't believe it either but an almost identical message is on their website.

https://www.33fw.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/2192246/33rd-fighter-wing-f-35a-crash-at-eglin/

quote:

EGLIN AIR FORCE BASE, Fla. --
An F-35A Lightning II assigned to the 58th Fighter Squadron crashed upon landing around 9:30 p.m. today at Eglin Air Force Base, Fla. The pilot successfully ejected and was transported to the 96th Medical Group Hospital at Eglin AFB, Fla., for evaluation and monitoring.

The pilot is in stable condition. At the time of the accident, the pilot was participating in a routine night training sortie.

First responders from the 96th Test Wing are on the scene and the site is secured.

The accident is under investigation. There was no loss of life or damage to civilian property. The name of the pilot is not being released this time.

Please contact the 33rd Fighter Wing Public Affairs office at (850) 226-3876 or 33fwpublicaffairs@gmail.com with any questions.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

darnon posted:

Typically there's a gas generator system that pressurizes and hucks the missile out of the launch tube into the air before the primary motor ignites. So it's already a good few stories above the trailer and then it's boogieing out of there pretty quick.

Topol-M

Where are the crew when this is happening?

Have they beat feat half a mile, or are they cowering in the (hopefully) safety of the cabin.

I'm assuming that exhaust cloud is super-toxic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

bit like with the trailer - after you spent what you have on the missile, a few soldiers is insignificant