Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

bird with big dick posted:

I bought $800 worth of knives.

Did you have to prove your worth to the Japanese blacksmith first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Two knives that cost $400 each or
Eight hundred knives that cost $1 each?

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

How fat is the person you're planning to murder?

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

Moo the cow posted:

Two knives that cost $400 each or
Eight hundred knives that cost $1 each?

-10 knives that cost -$80 each

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Crusty Nutsack posted:

yes. I just bought a 4-pack of smart plugs as overkill for a lamp that annoys me, and a cute little french fry print from an artist I like. both very unnecessary

A print of painting of a french fry or
A print of a painting painted with a french fry?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Moo the cow posted:

Two knives that cost $400 each

This. I been watching too much Forged in Fire during the quarantine.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Moo the cow posted:

A print of painting of a french fry or
A print of a painting painted with a french fry?

well, I guess I don't know. I assume it was painted with a brush, or maybe a hot dog

https://twitter.com/hawkkrall/status/1258846091489001472

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I've been squirrelling as much of my money away as I can due to economic anxiety (the real kind not thinly veiled racism)

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

And that reason is because cartridge razors are more convenient and require less effort, not because safety razors were bad because they're not at all. My grandpa used a safety razor for his whole life and he had the closest shave I've ever seen.

Straight razor (but one that uses disposable blades, I need to leave room for someone 1up me bragging about their leather strop). It's a loving lightsaber and it gets so you can nip off a single stubble hair you somehow missed. The precision comes at the cost of a nasty loving nick or two per month for probably the first two or three months, after that you're golden unless you try shaving hungover, which you'll do about once or twice per month.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

PipHelix posted:

The precision comes at the cost of a nasty loving nick or two per month for probably the first two or three months, after that you're golden unless you try shaving hungover, which you'll do about once or twice per month.

This is 100% why I haven't done it yet.

The old safety razor and a badger brush do me just fine and are cheap as chips.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

MarcusSA posted:

Repeating my worldly recommendation of the cheapest Bic disposables and KY jelly.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
What am I doing during quarantine?

I'm smoking weed and watching Drive In Movie Ads on Prime and it is exactly what it sounds like and everything is ok right now :)

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Followed suit and wow is this the journey I needed, thank you for sharing

SUNDAY IS CHURCH, SAVE FREE TV i'm dying :v:

e: not to mention DRIVING OFF WITH SPEAKER IS A CRIME

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

flesh dance posted:

Followed suit and wow is this the journey I needed, thank you for sharing

SUNDAY IS CHURCH, SAVE FREE TV i'm dying :v:

e: not to mention DRIVING OFF WITH SPEAKER IS A CRIME

yeah this poo poo is amazing

I'm the lady eating chicken wings off a paper plate in a car at the drive in with my husband and kids

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

The absolute doomsday stuff peppered in is a chef kiss every time

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

This. I been watching too much Forged in Fire during the quarantine.
To hang on the wall or to defend your apartment from invading horders?

(I'm okay with either, we're living in strange times)

Crusty Nutsack posted:

well, I guess I don't know. I assume it was painted with a brush, or maybe a hot dog

https://twitter.com/hawkkrall/status/1258846091489001472
Those are surprisingly happy. I like them

MarcusSA posted:

"Don't worry, it will only slice your face open about 4 times, absolute maximum 6" is really not a great selling pitch.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I still like using my whatever you call the regular razors. The 3 bladed kind or whatever.

Including if it gets too long and I have to run a beard trimmer with no guard over it I can still shave in about 4 minutes.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I can absolutely shave in a couple minutes with a safety razor.
Sure I COULD get a brush and lather and stuff and do the full monty with a pre-shave balm (awesome), and an aftershave, and all the fancy poo poo if I want to or I can still just use a nice shave cream (like the proraso I mentioned, or Cremo is alright (Here it's $2), I just like it more than canned stuff) rub it on and go to town just as fast as a mach 3 or 5 or 97 or whatever and believe me, I can let it GO. A LOT. before doing this.
Seriously, one application of shaving cream, one or two passes with the razor, blam, done. After you get used to it they ain't dark wizardry or hard on your face or anything. I don't really get too much razorburn or ingrown hairs regardless of which kind I use, because I use that good shaving cream and pre-shave stuff, cuz that's the poo poo that makes a difference (+ technique), but the cartridge ones get me redder or seem more likely to dry me out or something than the safety ones do if anything.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 13:36 on May 20, 2020

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

prom candy posted:

safety razors are twee bullshit, there's a reason people stopped using them when cartridge razors came out

Yeah, I’ve used both and IMO the cartridge razors are better in every way except price. They are easier to use, and create less irritation for a given level of closeness of shave.

The reason why the old fashioned razor people focus so much on the technique and the creams and accessories is because they hide the shortcomings of the old technology and are needed to get a decent result.

naem
May 29, 2011

https://www.theonion.com/gently caress-everything-were-doing-five-blades-1819584036/amp

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I'm planting potatoes and carrots today.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Potatoes are a chump plant you can buy them for 20 cents a pounds and they taste exactly the same, plant tomatoes they’re expensive and the store ones taste like cardboard.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

hmm it looks like seed catalog places finally have things in stock, many/most were entirely out during the pandemic but it looks like I can order and do late planting now. Good.

e: holy crap if you order from Jungs seeds you can grow garden babies. Check it out. I'm gonna get a garden baby and sell 'em or can 'em

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 20, 2020

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Potatoes are a chump plant you can buy them for 20 cents a pounds and they taste exactly the same, plant tomatoes they’re expensive and the store ones taste like cardboard.

Here's the part you're missing B with BD, when you plant your own you can grow varieties that are strange and when you serve them to people they wonder what exactly it is they are eating.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

I want to write a screenplay with my over-abundance of government-imposed-isolation free time. Energy to actually do so is not in abundance unfortunately.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

You can buy purple ones at the grocery store what kinda potato you got that's weirder than that. Dazzle me.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Moo the cow posted:

To hang on the wall or to defend your apartment from invading horders?

One of them is a cleaver so it'll probably get used at least a little in the kitchen. The other is a bowie so it'll just be for threatening family members I disagree with or whatever.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

You can buy purple ones at the grocery store what kinda potato you got that's weirder than that. Dazzle me.

I grow masquerade's which look like an extremely fat little man with a horrible skin condition.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Literally A Person posted:

I grow masquerade's which look like an extremely fat little man with a horrible skin condition.

taking these and crossing them with my garden babies to grow "HarleQueen Hybrids"

also I just spent the last hour outside in my far back yard where I have some sumac that grow in an area and I finally realized that a couple of them had gone too hog wild and were impeding my lawn mowing, as well as some of my trees back there desperately needed trimming. So I took my pole-saw and such back there and then squinted at it and said "gently caress that noise" and went and got my sawzall and tore the HECK out of them and cut down a couple trees thicker than my arms (think real life he-man) it was hosed up. Now I gotta trim up some of the mess I didn't make logs out of but I got tired.

opie
Nov 28, 2000
Check out my TFLC Excuse Log!
I spent too much money on a box of mtg unglued boosters. I also have a box of unopened unstable boosters, and I can’t decide whether to save them for a draft or try building some decks. They just released unsanctioned which is basically pre-built decks and not as exciting but at least has all the cards.

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost

opie posted:

I spent too much money on a box of mtg unglued boosters. I also have a box of unopened unstable boosters, and I can’t decide whether to save them for a draft or try building some decks. They just released unsanctioned which is basically pre-built decks and not as exciting but at least has all the cards.

Whatever brings you happiness man.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

opie posted:

Individually, I know what each of those words mean.

But together in sentences? Not a clue.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Unless you're buying some sort of poo poo-tier potato that spends 3 months on a cargo ship, this is exactly true. My mother and father have a very extensive garden where they grow everything that our climate will allow. . . except potatoes.

When my father was growing up, they were not exactly well off, so him and his brothers each has 4 rows of potatoes that they had to maintain all summer (along with the regular farming work). Each row was ~100m in length, and they would plant, weed, and dig them up. My father and his brothers had other things in the garden they had to take care of as well, but he never resented them like he did the potatoes. One year when my parents expanded their garden my mom asked if they should plant some potatoes, and my father outright said that the store ones (Ontario grown potatoes) taste exactly the same, cost less than dirt, and don't give him nightmares.

Right now a good 50% of their 1km² garden is strawberries, with the other half being divided between the usual stuff (beans, tomatoes, peas, lettuce, onions, peppers, corn, beats, squash, cucumbers, spinach, carrots, cabbage, etc.)

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

silence_kit posted:

Yeah, I’ve used both and IMO the cartridge razors are better in every way except price. They are easier to use, and create less irritation for a given level of closeness of shave.

The reason why the old fashioned razor people focus so much on the technique and the creams and accessories is because they hide the shortcomings of the old technology and are needed to get a decent result.

yeah i used safety razors for a while too on the advice of these very forums that's why i know they're twee bullshit. it's just an excuse to turn one more thing into a hobby with all the gear purchases that come along with it. "oh sure that badger brush is fine for a beginner but once you get into it you're definitely going to want to upgrade to one with finer bristles" etc. etc. i think it also came out of the #menswear resurgence at the beginning of this decade when we all wanted to be our grandfathers circa 1960 for some reason

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

prom candy posted:

yeah i used safety razors for a while too on the advice of these very forums that's why i know they're twee bullshit. it's just an excuse to turn one more thing into a hobby with all the gear purchases that come along with it. "oh sure that badger brush is fine for a beginner but once you get into it you're definitely going to want to upgrade to one with finer bristles" etc. etc. i think it also came out of the #menswear resurgence at the beginning of this decade when we all wanted to be our grandfathers circa 1960 for some reason

oh no! not a hobby!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Have you thought of just getting the handle and blades? I did that for years with just a can of barbosol shaving cream and it was fine. (Then my wife got me the soap, cup, and brush as a gift, not something I asked for.) You can shave it with just the foam if you want, as I also did that for years.

The benefit is that I bought 100 razors for $10 like 100 months ago, and use one blade once a month. So for the price of 2 Mach-3 blades, I'm getting essentially 50 times more (assuming you also use the cartridges one a month as well). If you ignore all the "twee bullshit", you're still saving hundreds of dollars a year by using a safety razor, if you change nothing else.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

prom candy posted:

Yeah, I agree. I used an old-fashioned safety razor for like 6-8 years, and then switched back to a cartridge razor a couple of years ago after having used one on an extended vacation. The cartridge razor really is a better technology. It's not really as radically more expensive as old-fashioned razor proponents claim--the cartridges can be used for many more shaves than a double-edged razor blade before it makes the shave more irritating, although that doesn't totally make up for the price differential.

This but unironically

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Anne Whateley posted:

Scallion pancakes :getin:

How did I not think of these?

Guess I can stop shoving them all in a freezer bag for a later date!

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

LadyPictureShow posted:

I tried growing green onions, and in my hubris, I grew too goddamn many of them.

Anybody got suggestions for recipes? I don't know what to do with them all.

Sour cream and onion biscuits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

IUG posted:

Have you thought of just getting the handle and blades? I did that for years with just a can of barbosol shaving cream and it was fine. (Then my wife got me the soap, cup, and brush as a gift, not something I asked for.) You can shave it with just the foam if you want, as I also did that for years.

The benefit is that I bought 100 razors for $10 like 100 months ago, and use one blade once a month. So for the price of 2 Mach-3 blades, I'm getting essentially 50 times more (assuming you also use the cartridges one a month as well). If you ignore all the "twee bullshit", you're still saving hundreds of dollars a year by using a safety razor, if you change nothing else.

Yea, barbasol rubbed on by hand for me as well. I didn't do the math, because at this point the savings aren't worth the time, but a bag of poo poo Bics has got to be comparable or more expensive to a single, compact little box of razors that lasts approximately forever. I also had family assume that since I was using this super cheap razor for literally broke reasons that I wanted a bunch of random twee poo poo, so I have a badger brush, which I have never used.

Crusty Nutsack posted:

oh no! not a hobby!
Right? I love the guys who freak right out when you say you do things different from how they're used to and the invent some elaborate stupid backstory for you, so they don't have to consider your actual reasons. I don't wanna spend a massive amount of money on shaving my face therefore I'm a wealthy tweeboy who rides a pennyfarthing.

MarcusSA posted:

I was being half facetious. You will nick yourself a couple times till you learn, but you also won't drag a bic over your face a couple of times to get a close shave and end up with a ton of razor pimples. If your safety razor works good for you, then good for you. If 'safety razor' means the same in British English as American English, your way is anachronistic and unpopular enough you're lumped in with us, the twee people who don't have a preference, just a pathological need for attention.

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 21, 2020