Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Pearl Islands and China are the two best seasons on that list. If you're interested in dumpster fires though, Nicaragua might be your cup of tea. It features the worst cast in the show's history with a side helping of the editors and Jeff being especially cruel for reasons you can find out after you watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
The first six on your list are all wonderful.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Amazon is not good. Jesus it's bad.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
amazon was good for its time. it has aged very poorly. a decent example of an early strategic player with rob C, i suppose.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Spokes posted:

e: as far as what to avoid, if you've already seen Heroes vs Villains you can skip Samoa, Island of the Idols was very marred and not good anyway. Redemption Island and One World are okay if you want to see someone just stomp the game.
just as a foreshadowing, you will know who the winner of the season is midway through the first episode of each season and the edit doesnt even pretend to be subtle about who it may be.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Echoing that Pearl Islands, Cook Islands, and China are great.

Gabon is one of my favourite seasons. It's not a *great Survivor season*, exactly, but it's got a really fun cast that gently caress up in spectacular ways and have completely baffling relationships.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Pinterest Mom posted:

Echoing that Pearl Islands, Cook Islands, and China are great.

Gabon is one of my favourite seasons. It's not a *great Survivor season*, exactly, but it's got a really fun cast that gently caress up in spectacular ways and have completely baffling relationships.
Translation: it's a schaudenfreude season

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

It's worth it just to find out the origins / context of "that reaction GIF".

That and the elephants are pretty cool.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

JOHN CENA posted:

Translation: it's a schaudenfreude season

This is how I felt about Nicaragua

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I think Amazon is worth it to see Rob C. turn the game on its head with all the alliance flipping he pulls off, but it is really gross in the way it frames the women in that season and that part can be hard to watch.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

this seems like a really good way to cause legitimate physical fights

You say that like it's a bad thing. Keep in mind, the best possible season of Survivor, gimmick-wise, would be all the contestants trying to survive for a month with the last living player given a chance to defeat Jeff and take home the one billion dollar prize.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

You can only steal an idol from someone if they are in the attack zone, clearly.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Khanstant posted:

You say that like it's a bad thing. Keep in mind, the best possible season of Survivor, gimmick-wise, would be all the contestants trying to survive for a month with the last living player given a chance to defeat Jeff and take home the one billion dollar prize.

ah yes, the male challenge beast doesn't have enough advantages in the game

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Watching Pearl Islands now, and from Rupert's intro I can see why he's so beloved. He's literally a pirate, pillaging his own tribe's booty.

Survivor is one of the most beautifully photographed shows on television, so going back to these early seasons before they went HD loses some of the magic.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Max posted:

You can only steal an idol from someone if they are in the attack zone, clearly.

If you don't touch the thirty yard wicket with the idol you have to hop on one foot

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Max posted:

I think Amazon is worth it to see Rob C. turn the game on its head with all the alliance flipping he pulls off, but it is really gross in the way it frames the women in that season and that part can be hard to watch.
It's funny because all that sort of stuff was going 2003's-version-of-viral and brought a lot of excitement with it at the time, but watching it now feels uncomfortable. Anyway, if you can get past the 2000-era boys' locker room vibe, it brought a pretty big strategic evolution to the game and there's a lot of good stuff. Compared to today's game it may be sort of quiet but if you were watching chronologically it was the most exciting strategic season to date, by far.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

ah yes, the male challenge beast doesn't have enough advantages in the game

Oh yeah because there's no way to kill or poison a man in his sleep if he's ripped enough, right? Muscles protect you from fire, do they? Even the world's strongest man can be trivially killed by "fall down bump his head."

With your attitude, you'll be the first to be "voted" off the island in Survivor: Survival Island.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Fast Luck posted:

It's funny because all that sort of stuff was going 2003's-version-of-viral and brought a lot of excitement with it at the time, but watching it now feels uncomfortable. Anyway, if you can get past the 2000-era boys' locker room vibe, it brought a pretty big strategic evolution to the game and there's a lot of good stuff. Compared to today's game it may be sort of quiet but if you were watching chronologically it was the most exciting strategic season to date, by far.

Yeah it made sense for the time it was made it but it's just uncomfortable now. That tribal where the men's tribe just describe how hot all the women are sucks.

But Rob C. is a good narrator and Matthew was a really odd duck of a player.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Just listen to Rob’s confessionals about Matt, that’s all ya need.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Khanstant posted:

Oh yeah because there's no way to kill or poison a man in his sleep if he's ripped enough, right? Muscles protect you from fire, do they? Even the world's strongest man can be trivially killed by "fall down bump his head."

With your attitude, you'll be the first to be "voted" off the island in Survivor: Survival Island.

please do not involve me in your hosed up fetishes

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Is Pearl Islands the funniest season of Survivor? Sandra dismantling the other tribe's shelter just to take their tarp is one of the funniest things I've ever seen. I see why she's so beloved. I can't wait to see how she wins. Also, the Ryan tribe is comically inept.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Did Rupert steal his own tribes shoes or the other tribes?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Zesty posted:

Other tribe.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

clown shoes posted:

Is Pearl Islands the funniest season of Survivor? Sandra dismantling the other tribe's shelter just to take their tarp is one of the funniest things I've ever seen. I see why she's so beloved. I can't wait to see how she wins. Also, the Ryan tribe is comically inept.

There are players that definitely add a lot of humor to the game, especially if they stick around long enough. Survivor China was good for that as well. Courtney gave really entertaining confessionals.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I thought Courtney was really obnoxious tbh. That confessional where she makes fun of Todd crying about his sister's miscarriage and accuses him of lying about it is like one of the single worst moments in the entire series.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I'm fairly certain there are worse moments in the series, and we can all thank Johnny Fairplay for people not trusting anything said during family visits.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Courtney's like that friend who makes mean jokes but you laugh at them, but they keep making them and you start to feel bad about laughing at them, and then right as she kind of crosses the line and makes you feel uncomfortable she says "ok, that probably crossed the line." And you're not sure that makes it better because she isn't exactly apologizing or stopping but you're just kind of relieved she can see the line vs villains who can't.

I don't exactly remember that miscarriage thing but I wanna say it was one of those "Oh Todd, he's such a sneaky guy he's probably making it up... that's too mean and unfair... but ah well..." moments.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I like Courtney and mean friends so I always thought she had to put up with more poo poo than she really deserved. I don't blame her for being skeptical. I believe that yeah, he feels sad that such a thing happened, but he also knows there's value in visible emotional displays.

Zesty posted:

I loved his mini-arc of pressuring everyone into doing his "beach basement" shelter concept and it immediately punishes them that night with exactly the kind of weather that makes his shelter concept so bad. Well, that and tide in general lol

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Fast Luck posted:

Yes you can. She was in it because she got voted out

Long ago and far away, but blame Jeff for that, not Nat. 🙂

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I feel like Courtney was largely liked, at least online. Like she's obviously kind of a mean girl and a bully but she was blessed having a much bigger villain in the creepy poker player on her season and a largely goofy and likable cast who seemed to like her. On another season where Courtney didn't make as many friends she probably could have been a very hated villain. On the other hand its possible Courtney's personality is such that if she didn't make friends she would have never felt as comfortable to be a mean girl as she was.

I like Courtney but she's mean and she's lucky there weren't more sympathetic foils on her season. She got poo poo for being nasty to the cafeteria worker and she deserved that. She was an rear end in a top hat and a bully. But she's lucky that like that wasn't a bigger part of the season or her targets weren't bigger personalities.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 19, 2020

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Courtney rules and I also generally get the sense that she's mellowed out since China. I mean, she got along with Coach in Ponderosa during HvV

The China miscarriage stuff is definitely super rough though. I could be wrong, but my memory is that it's not even just Courtney; there's just a straight-up extended segment where Todd's sister says she had a miscarriage and everyone else is like "Ah, Todd's the type of guy to make that up for sympathy" and...that's it? When I rewatched the season a few years ago, I couldn't believe it was presented in the show the way it was.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
assuming todd was lying is lovely, though if i were there i may have had a confessional where i at least went "could he be lying...?"

right when your loved one comes out does not seem like the best time to ask for potentially bad news.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

xbilkis posted:

Courtney rules and I also generally get the sense that she's mellowed out since China.

It's also been, what, 13 years.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I'm watchin 2017 aussie survivor and I honestly love this cast. I think a big part of it is the longer episodes lending to us getting to know them better.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

clown shoes posted:

Watching Pearl Islands now, and from Rupert's intro I can see why he's so beloved. He's literally a pirate, pillaging his own tribe's booty.

Survivor is one of the most beautifully photographed shows on television, so going back to these early seasons before they went HD loses some of the magic.

Yes, Rupert is absolutely fantastic to watch in Pearl Islands. He was so beloved they made the fan favorite award after all stars to give him a million bucks...

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Pearl Islands: I don't care for the twist of bringing back the voted out people as another tribe and then the backwards tribal council where people are voted back into the game. This is just a precursor to all of the crazy twists and turns that the show ultimately becomes.

JOHN CENA posted:

I'm watchin 2017 aussie survivor and I honestly love this cast. I think a big part of it is the longer episodes lending to us getting to know them better.

Survivor is a show that could benefit from two hour episodes.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

JOHN CENA posted:

Is that the season with one black guy who got 3 lines all season even though he got booted halfway in?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

clown shoes posted:

Pearl Islands: I don't care for the twist of bringing back the voted out people as another tribe and then the backwards tribal council where people are voted back into the game. This is just a precursor to all of the crazy twists and turns that the show ultimately becomes.

Survivor is a show that could benefit from two hour episodes.

I like the idea of a loser's tribe more than extinction, depending on how it's set up. Like, start off with three tribes, have a loser's tribe for those initial boots that often kind of just happen for little, no, or boring reasons. Make up for the mulched tribe's re-entry with some brutal double or triple eviction tribals pre-merge.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

JOHN CENA posted:

Yeah I love that season and the longer episodes. Some of the things they show really remind me of early Survivor and yet there's still all kinds of game madness too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Zesty posted:

Is that the season with one black guy who got 3 lines all season even though he got booted halfway in?

That's 2016. 2017 is the I'M SORRY ANNELISE... season. Spoiled in case the guy hasn't gotten that far yet.