Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Zodiac Edition?

The only bs they did with the license boards is having four Quickening squares and the fourth one disappearing when you buy three. On every license board this doesn't matter but on the Shikari one if you don't buy a specific quickening square and it disappears and cuts you off from the license square fro the best ninja sword and DPS in the game!! very hosed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

musclebusiness
Jun 30, 2008

someday I'd like to pick xii back up and complete more of the endgame side quests. the great crystal dungeon makes my head spin

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

Zodiac Edition?

The only bs they did with the license boards is having four Quickening squares and the fourth one disappearing when you buy three. On every license board this doesn't matter but on the Shikari one if you don't buy a specific quickening square and it disappears and cuts you off from the license square fro the best ninja sword and DPS in the game!! very hosed up

Yeah, I haven't really looked at quickening unlocks but I have been careful about who gets espers. Fran for me is a machinist/shikari so if she misses out on a ninja blade I don't mind, I'm just making her use guns all the time bc I always use guns in a JRPG if I can

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think I'm approaching the end of the game? At least it feels like it, how does this handle postgame stuff. Is it one of those "make an alt save right before the point of no return" games or does it have a proper post story section with its own set of extra unlocks.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

In Training posted:

I think I'm approaching the end of the game? At least it feels like it, how does this handle postgame stuff. Is it one of those "make an alt save right before the point of no return" games or does it have a proper post story section with its own set of extra unlocks.

It's like FFXV, you'll get a chapter select unlock as well as hard mode and can jump around to finish quests as you please.

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

In Training posted:

theres no save crystals after the point of no return so dont worry about making backup saves or anything. the only advice id give is to do the ending as soon as you unlock it since going out and doing all the endgame optional stuff will make you way overpowered lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fiend Matador posted:

theres no save crystals after the point of no return so dont worry about making backup saves or anything. the only advice id give is to do the ending as soon as you unlock it since going out and doing all the endgame optional stuff will make you way overpowered lol

True but sometimes it's fun to obliterate the story bosses, I did a lot of the ultimate weapon grinding in FFX before beating it the first time and killed the final boss in a single attack reels

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also the great Crystal sucks!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

wow my stoned rear end brain thought this was one of the 50 FFVIIR threads whoops

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

esperterra posted:

wow my stoned rear end brain thought this was one of the 50 FFVIIR threads whoops

i nearly made the same post you did

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The maps for it are essential, I used my guidebook from when I was 15 for it lol.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i want square to make good and publish a hardcover ff9 guide with everything in it

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

they gave us the ff7 remake, we can demand anything

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

The maps for it are essential, I used my guidebook from when I was 15 for it lol.

I'm sure I missed a ton of Loot in it, I kinda just kept going forward until I reached the end, but I'll return later if there's good poo poo to be found. Usually I'll play a JRPG till the final boss and then find some guides and read up on all the Ultimate Loot.

anyway after great crystal the Ridoran Lighthouse dungeon is totally rad and seem freaking huge. Can't wait to climb to the top and destroy the Sun-Stone

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

elf help book posted:

they gave us the ff7 remake, we can demand anything

I’ve really enjoyed it so far and I don’t even care if they don’t make the rest.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

In Training posted:

I'm sure I missed a ton of Loot in it, I kinda just kept going forward until I reached the end, but I'll return later if there's good poo poo to be found. Usually I'll play a JRPG till the final boss and then find some guides and read up on all the Ultimate Loot.

anyway after great crystal the Ridoran Lighthouse dungeon is totally rad and seem freaking huge. Can't wait to climb to the top and destroy the Sun-Stone

The Pharos at Ridorna rules. I can’t remember the loot too well but the second strongest esper is in the crystal and she has a cannon under her skirt

One major change I liked in the zodiac age is that you can just use the esper ultimate moves. In the original game they had these insane requirements. For her it was esper and summoner had to be critical hp before she did it and that wasn’t even that bad a one

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I’ve really enjoyed it so far and I don’t even care if they don’t make the rest.

yeah its cool as its own thing

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Is the VIII remaster worth playing? Thinking of picking it up tomorrow on Switch, only played a few hours of eight before a few times. Got to Laguna and fell off

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

EmmyOk posted:

Is the VIII remaster worth playing? Thinking of picking it up tomorrow on Switch, only played a few hours of eight before a few times. Got to Laguna and fell off

It’s the exact same except with new high res character models. I’d say it’s worth it though. 8 is really fun when you figure out how to break the junction system by turning enemies into cards and then refining the cards into really OP magic. You can go the extra mile and also avoid leveling up which will allow you to one shot most bosses.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I think it has a slightly different translation, too? I like some of the more obvious examples of typos/etc have been fixed. But otherwise the same.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

man nurse posted:

It’s the exact same except with new high res character models. I’d say it’s worth it though. 8 is really fun when you figure out how to break the junction system by turning enemies into cards and then refining the cards into really OP magic. You can go the extra mile and also avoid leveling up which will allow you to one shot most bosses.

Don't feel bad about breaking VIII because the 'right' way to play it is a complete mystery.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Actually I'm probably thinking of VII again

fml

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I have the piggyback guide for the PS1 version of FF8 so I guess I’ll be using that. Fond childhood memories of those guides so I buy one whenever I get a new job as a treat. Have collector edition hardbacks for xiii and xiii2

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
I just started replaying the original FF7 and dug out my old Versus guide. In the back there's an ad for an ongoing Versus magazine. I don't think that ever happened.

I'm playing FF7 on Steam with mods for a new translation and improved graphics. It's kind of awkward using the Steam app to play on the TV but FF doesn't feel right if it's not on the couch.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Lol that the epic fight in the opening cutscene of VIII between Squall and Seifer and it turns out to be training. Also Quistis is 19 wtf

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I was about ready to come in here and complain about how TF I was supposed to clear this room with 10 Necrophages spamming zombie warlock summons until I realized i was being put in the Penalty Box for getting the way Stone pattern wrong

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The Pharos is cool but it kind of sucks they realised they’d a bunch of esper a left to show off and throw two in there . All the esper designs are so sick though

mobile suit goatse
Apr 21, 2010
is this where the last surviving fyads fled to

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

REMake is really fun, I like Cloud so much more in this than the original lol. He's such a self-serious dork. The side missions are fun so probably gonna gently caress around with those until I'm out of them.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I'm up to chapter 9 in my hard mode run. I really like the small additions to some bosses that only happen in hard mode, the chapter 9 boss in particular caught me by surprise and I probably only survived as well as I did because Aerith got her limit break at the beginning of the last phase which nullified physical damage for a while. I'll have to do that fight again since you need to play through chapter 9 twice on hard to get all the manuscripts so it might not go as well next time.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Despite this being the final fanty thread, every time I read "REMake" I associate it with Resident Evil 1 and get really confused

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 273 days!

mobile suit goatse posted:

is this where the last surviving fyads fled to

worse

we're final fantasy fans

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

XIII not on PS4 or ps now wtf

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Despite this being the final fanty thread, every time I read "REMake" I associate it with Resident Evil 1 and get really confused

Yeah, same. REmake is for Resident Evilmake gdi

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I finished the remake. It’s some pretty wild poo poo. The whole ending from the end of the lab to the final fight was crazy (except for the motor bike part, that poo poo sucked)

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Trying to get Jessie to praise me is so hard. Wish the bike sequence with roche(?) has a percentage on health

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Its cool to check out the spoiler thread for this game after beating it and watching Goons react to the plot changes from the leaks and say things like "yeah, no, i'm not on board with this. this is bullshit" and "goons are handling this well. we are calm and just laughing at it all. gently caress it i might get it on sale"

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
agh i need to limit break refocus one more time before i enter the point of no return to finish that last chadley quest but i dont know what i have left that i can build it up enough on since it seems to reset to zero after every battle ends

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

There is chapter select

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I had a save at both and meant to come back to them after just one more try and ended up sticking at them till I gotten lol. Darts is a really fun mini game