Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

BrianWilly posted:

Have there been other shows where they've replaced the actual lead headlining main character like this? I can only remember Spartacus, which was an understandable situation.

Post Crisis, the Kane family is Time Lords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

Have there been other shows where they've replaced the actual lead headlining main character like this? I can only remember Spartacus, which was an understandable situation.

Depends on how you mean "headlining" but there was the whole Dick Sargent/Dick York thing from Bewitched.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

muscles like this! posted:

Depends on how you mean "headlining" but there was the whole Dick Sargent/Dick York thing from Bewitched.

There is literally a TV Tropes page named after it: The Other Darrin.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

BrianWilly posted:

Very appropriately for a comic book thread, Superboy

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

The Lord Bude posted:

Arrowverse is the perfect setting to recast someone. They could even have the time idiots gently caress something up and cause it if they want to address it in setting.

The time idiots' changes to history have always been contained to their show. Now, Barry Allen the time criminal, on the other hand--there's a fucker whose time travel actually butterfly effects onto other shows.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Argue posted:

The time idiots' changes to history have always been contained to their show. Now, Barry Allen the time criminal, on the other hand--there's a fucker whose time travel actually butterfly effects onto other shows.

That works for me too. Opening episode of Season 1. We have a first person camera from Kate's perspective. She goes to look in the mirror; yells out "drat it Barry what did you do!" then the Camera pans and we see the new actor.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Yeah just make McNamara the new Batwoman and just be all "oh I guess Oliver did this when he remade the universe it just took a few moments to take effect oh hey look here is a real legit Batman bad guy now, enjoy"

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

There is one thing about the replacement I'm sure of. The actor will not be straight. I'm also fairly confident the show will not make a big deal of the change, beyond maybe Luke or Mary asking about a new haircut.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Couldn't they just turn Alice good and have her make her a mask out of the face of someone from Riverdale?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

howe_sam posted:

There is one thing about the replacement I'm sure of. The actor will not be straight. I'm also fairly confident the show will not make a big deal of the change, beyond maybe Luke or Mary asking about a new haircut.

I want to express my pre-emptive sympathies to whomever is ultimately cast as the new Kate, because Awful Internet Men are going to ham on her just as hard as they did on Ruby Rose :smith:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

nine-gear crow posted:

I want to express my pre-emptive sympathies to whomever is ultimately cast as the new Kate, because Awful Internet Men are going to ham on her just as hard as they did on Ruby Rose :smith:

It's really disappointing because Rose was basically custom made for this role but it's killing her faster than it did Amell. :smith:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

howe_sam posted:

This is exactly it. Being gay as hell is part of being Batwoman, and you need the actor to be that too.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Phylodox posted:

Babylon 5.

I don't recall them doing an actor swap on the same character, who we talking about?

Or do you just mean the replacement of the commander of the station?

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
How's this show compare to the other dctv shows? I love Batwoman but just felt uncomfortable watching a show starring Ruby Rose so I've barely seen any of it.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Seeing a lot of hopeful buzz around Stephanie Beatriz taking over the cowl and my god have I never been happier to see a major role recast if that option is on the table.

Stanfield posted:

How's this show compare to the other dctv shows? I love Batwoman but just felt uncomfortable watching a show starring Ruby Rose so I've barely seen any of it.
First half of the season is a lot rougher—nothing specific, just in general, from writing to acting to editing—than any of the others' beginnings, but the second half made big strides catching up to the other shows. They made as much of a quality shift in this one season as Supergirl did between its seasons 1 and 2.
It's closest in tone to mid-series Arrow. (Or a much lower-budget Swamp Thing, come to think of it.) It's quite 'dry'. There's very little of the humour or heart that Legends or Supergirl have. So if you want the brooding, go for it, but if you prefer the camp or want something light then you'd probably be best off skipping it.
Compared to comic book Batwoman, if that's what you like, Alice is a near-perfect recreation of her comic counterpart and 'Batwoman' is more true to the comic version than most CW heroes are, but Kate Kane is almost entirely different beyond the most basic bulletpoints; she's still ex-military, gay and rich, but otherwise a very different person. She's very much just Ruby Rose being Ruby Rose, far trendier and self-assured than comic Kate is. So if what you like about Batwoman is the cowl and cape half, you might well like it a lot, but if you're more a fan of Kate Kane—and particularly if you don't like Ruby Rose—then it might be quite painful viewing for you.

I still wouldn't say I like Ruby myself, either (though I do thank her for enabling the Veronicas to write a helluva diss track), but if you've enjoyed the other shows, especially Arrow, then I'd say stick with this. It improves faster than the others did and with Ruby going now anyway, you can relax knowing you're just picking up the backstory before season 2 without her, which I have to imagine will be better as all CW second seasons have been.

pressedbunny fucked around with this message at 11:47 on May 20, 2020

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

Alright I'll probably check it out, thanks. Is there a point where if I don't like it by then I'm probably not gonna like it?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Stanfield posted:

I love Batwoman but just felt uncomfortable watching a show starring Ruby Rose so I've barely seen any of it.

As someone who had never heard of Ruby Rose before this show; is there some thing that happened that made people hate her?

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

She was emotionally abusive to Jess Origliasso from The Veronicas while they were dating:

https://celebrity.nine.com.au/tv/the-veronicas-jess-origliasso-ruby-rose-drama-lisa/eb06edb4-44cc-48d7-b562-3976eb0eb23e

or watch the first 10-ish minutes of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2Z4zpH_uN8

They wrote a song about it which is not subtle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gyld-i7OZ9Q

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Maybe they'll cast Zoie Palmer? I can but hope. Lesbian, worked with Rachel before, decently good actress, looks younger but can bring a bit of gravitas, solid sci-fi/fantasy genre lady.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

For what it's worth they've said they're committed to getting another LGBTQ actress.

The popular opinion seems to be she just didn't like the TV grind.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Sloth Life posted:

Maybe they'll cast Zoie Palmer? I can but hope. Lesbian, worked with Rachel before, decently good actress, looks younger but can bring a bit of gravitas, solid sci-fi/fantasy genre lady.
Is she? I've only seen her in Lost Girl and Dark Matter and I thought she was an excellent choice to play a robot in Dark Matter because she was extremely robotic in Lost Girl (in which she was not a robot).

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Tiggum posted:

Is she? I've only seen her in Lost Girl and Dark Matter and I thought she was an excellent choice to play a robot in Dark Matter because she was extremely robotic in Lost Girl (in which she was not a robot).

Well, she is a genre actress, there are levels.

I didn't find her robotic at all in Lost Girl. Straight laced, prim, detached, even aloof, yes. It worked for me especially contrasted with the basically cartoonish Bo and Kenzi.

She was the 2nd best thing in Dark Matter (Lemke was #1) but Dark Matter was shockingly bad.

YM clearly V but hey.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Sloth Life posted:

She was the 2nd best thing in Dark Matter (Lemke was #1) but Dark Matter was shockingly bad.
Dark Matter was great, except for the Space Japan stuff. :colbert:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Dark Matter ruled

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Zone Palmer would be aces.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

pressedbunny posted:

Seeing a lot of hopeful buzz around Stephanie Beatriz taking over the cowl and my god have I never been happier to see a major role recast if that option is on the table.

It'd be perfect, she can just use the Diaz voice when she's in the suit and use her regular voice as Kate.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I’d seen Ruby Rose in Orange is the new black and one of the resident evil movies before this, I wasn’t impressed and aside from her chemistry with Benoist, I was ready to give up this show primarily to how bland she was.

Once alt universe Alice showed up, that changed and the show got better. Honestly, they should just turn Alice into Batdexter.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
I really wouldn't mind if Alice had/does become the main character. She really has been the stand-out for the entire season. You can't really redeem her as a true hero of course, but Dexter? She could absolutely be that.

Stanfield posted:

Alright I'll probably check it out, thanks. Is there a point where if I don't like it by then I'm probably not gonna like it?
If you get up to the 8th episode and aren't taken with any of the characters and tone then definitely stop there. Of course if you want to bail before that then by all means do, but 8 is the point where every character has been fully established and the world-building is done. It does get better after the break (9 is the Infinite Crisis crossover episode) but nothing new is added, just refined.

The Lord Bude posted:

As someone who had never heard of Ruby Rose before this show; is there some thing that happened that made people hate her?
She's done a ScarJo, taking a few modelling jobs that were originally outlined for PoCs. Most notably for a make-up line 'inspired by' a piece of Jean-Michel Basquiat's art which specifically criticised the lack of black representation in American advertising. A lot of the gossip and tabloid reporting of her being abusive of course has to be taken with a pinch of salt, as any gossip does, but even if that stuff has been exaggerated she's still definitely an ignorant dumbass at the very least.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

pressedbunny posted:

I really wouldn't mind if Alice had/does become the main character. She really has been the stand-out for the entire season. You can't really redeem her as a true hero of course, but Dexter? She could absolutely be that.
If you get up to the 8th episode and aren't taken with any of the characters and tone then definitely stop there. Of course if you want to bail before that then by all means do, but 8 is the point where every character has been fully established and the world-building is done. It does get better after the break (9 is the Infinite Crisis crossover episode) but nothing new is added, just refined.
She's done a ScarJo, taking a few modelling jobs that were originally outlined for PoCs. Most notably for a make-up line 'inspired by' a piece of Jean-Michel Basquiat's art which specifically criticised the lack of black representation in American advertising. A lot of the gossip and tabloid reporting of her being abusive of course has to be taken with a pinch of salt, as any gossip does, but even if that stuff has been exaggerated she's still definitely an ignorant dumbass at the very least.

Also, not a good actress.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

But consider

https://twitter.com/iamstephbeatz/status/1262925020281667584

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Pillowpants posted:

I’d seen Ruby Rose in Orange is the new black and one of the resident evil movies before this, I wasn’t impressed and aside from her chemistry with Benoist, I was ready to give up this show primarily to how bland she was.

I thought she did a great job in John Wick 2 playing a mute assassin.

That's not a back-handed compliment; she's got a good physicality and she can be very emotive, it's just that her dialogue delivery is inconsistent at best, and her voice over work is loving atrocious.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

She should show up to the offices in character as Rosa and just stab people until she gets the role.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I thought she did a great job in John Wick 2 playing a mute assassin.

That's not a back-handed compliment; she's got a good physicality and she can be very emotive, it's just that her dialogue delivery is inconsistent at best, and her voice over work is loving atrocious.

Maybe she struggles with the American accent?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

lol, I had no idea she wasn't American

I had never heard of her before John Wick 2 and her acting was convincing enough to me that I assumed she actually was deaf, I kinda don't get the complaints about her acting abilities at all. Maybe I suck at judging these things but I'll be sad to see her go from this show.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I mean, I love Stephanie Beatriz but she already has a full-time TV gig, and it would be kind of strange to have the character be Latina when her father, cousin, and twin sister are all already on the show and all very white.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ShakeZula posted:

I mean, I love Stephanie Beatriz but she already has a full-time TV gig, and it would be kind of strange to have the character be Latina when her father, cousin, and twin sister are all already on the show and all very white.

So you're saying they should recast everyone?

Edit: With the cast of B99.

Edit 2: Except Mary.

Edit 3: Terry Crews plays Alice.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Rhyno posted:

I'm not saying no

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rhyno posted:

All three played by Stephanie

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ShakeZula posted:

MODS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Sirotan posted:

lol, I had no idea she wasn't American

I had never heard of her before John Wick 2 and her acting was convincing enough to me that I assumed she actually was deaf, I kinda don't get the complaints about her acting abilities at all. Maybe I suck at judging these things but I'll be sad to see her go from this show.

She's Australian.