Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I'm guessing things are not great at home is a potential motivation there. Or things are financially super dire. 30k incremental to spend a year separated from your family is sure something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The most popular thread on this sub forum is the “let’s talk about idiots” thread. Everyone loves a good story about dumbasses.

Here's a couple ND stories for you.

So, month 9 of my first contract, another teammate had an ND. I regularly did dry fire with my issued Glock, since at the time I wasn't used to Glocks and the trigger sucked. So this guy was doing the same thing in one of the trucks. Then he got bored, put his mag back in. Then he got bored again, forgot he put his mag in, drew, charged, and fired. Right into the passenger dash.

The Ugandan who was in the back of the truck at the time calmly got out of the truck and walked away, later saying "I thought de truck was going to blow up!"

My teammate had to resign, unfortunately. The truck's AC stopped working shortly after. Since it was an up-armored gun truck, the windows wouldn't roll down. Ended up driving around the FOB with the passenger door slightly open, sticking my head out for fresh air, going 10mph IAW FOB speed limits, blasting Lady Gaga because that's what was on AFN radio, with soldiers walking by looking at us like what the gently caress. Was one of those surreal life questioning kind of times.

About 2/3 of a year later, I was back on the same base, on a different contract. I met up with my old team to shoot the poo poo, and my former TL told me about how someone on another team had an ND and shot themselves in the leg with a Sig pistol. (Actually no, it wasn't a Sig, it was some knockoff Yugoslavian copy where the slide release and decocker were the same lever.) I laughed and commented, "How do you do that by accident? It's a twelve pound trigger!"

The next day, I see them pulling up for dinner chow, and my former TL looks grossly ashamed. I ask him what's up, and he says he had an ND. Shocked, I ask for the details.

He says "We were going over for the team leader meeting, and at some point I must have put my mag in and forgotten. So we're outside the building and I'm telling the story of that ND to the other TLs, motioning it with my actual pistol, saying 'I dunno how he did it! He must have had a mag in, racked the slide and pulled the trigger! You can't do that by accident, it's twelve pounds!' and then I pulled the trigger. And the pistol shot right into the T-wall. Everyone was stood there like 'oh gently caress.'"

Yes, you read that right, had an ND while telling a story about having an ND. Since he was one of the good ol' boys, he did not lose his job and was instead transferred to an admin position that wasn't required to be armed.

I felt almost culpable since I had said that same line about the trigger being twelve pounds the day before. After the fact, I realized that I was wrong, it would have been a 12lb trigger in double action, but upon racking the slide and cocking the hammer, it would have been closer to 5lbs. Not that that would have made a difference when you've got someone deliberately yanking on it, but still.

Trying to think if there are any other stories of acute stupidity. Kind of hard since everything was stupid and so many people had figurative testosterone poisoning.

Oh, half of my team was juicing on illegal steroids, to the point that they were lactating. One was reusing syringes. He tried telling me "It's not a steroid, it's a natural hormone growth enhancer!" He tried to get the TL to back him up, and the TL looked at him like an idiot and said "No mate, it's dianabol. Di-anabol. Anabolic steroid." They were roid raging pretty hard for a few months. Short temper, angry at everything. Trying to hit on women on base, and thinking I was less of a man for not actively going out and hitting on women there. (Like, the gently caress, it's a 20:1 M:F ratio, why am I even gonna bother.)

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Nice and hot piss posted:

My buddy is getting ready to go over to Kuwait as static security guard with Triple Canopy, He got on the PMC bandwagon when I was going through with it but decided to make an attempt at OCS for the marines.

I kind of don't want him to do it, because he has a wife and 2 kids, and he literally just got a decent job working security at the Airport at like $23 an hour. Technically he will make more as a contractor at $70k a year, plus tax exemption since it keeps him out of the country for over 330 days a year, but I don't think it's going to be as much as he's expecting to clear.

A deployed contractor makes 70k a year? Get the gently caress out of here you gotta be desperate for that.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Yeeeeup. My first contract was 65k/yr. By the time I had moved on to other technical contracts that paid better, I was told that the Blackwater/Xe/whatever guys manning the towers in Afghanistan were on 55k/yr.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Holy poo poo what was DoD getting charged?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

not caring here posted:

Holy poo poo what was DoD getting charged?

Again I don’t know about the gun touching contractors but I’ve been told 30% over cost to employ isn’t unusual. A company I knew that was getting aggressive with pay to draw good talent was only holding 15%

Note that cost to employ isn’t just salary. You’ve got poo poo like health care and 401k and payroll tax etc. For an office worker in the US the rule of thumb is 1.5x salary being cost of employment.

Edit: note that most contracts are a lump award. Again, dunno about gun carrying contractors but usually it’s “x millions of dollars to provide service Y” and the details are spelled out a bit not as fine grained as salaries. So it might be “2 million dollars to employ a team of 12 technicians and 1 supervisor to polish doorknobs” or whatever.

I have zero idea how this works with someone working outside the US though.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

The Rat posted:

Trying to hit on women on base, and thinking I was less of a man for not actively going out and hitting on women there. (Like, the gently caress, it's a 20:1 M:F ratio, why am I even gonna bother.)

A colleague of mine was one of those one women per 20 dudes on a base in Iraq. She was a security officer for an aid agency and ended up sleeping with a knife under her pillow because she had so many creepy encounters with horny contractors. She actually met her husband there, and she said the reason she knew he was a keeper was because he was the one dude who didn’t try to aggressively hit on her.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

pantslesswithwolves posted:

A colleague of mine was one of those one women per 20 dudes on a base in Iraq. She was a security officer for an aid agency and ended up sleeping with a knife under her pillow because she had so many creepy encounters with horny contractors. She actually met her husband there, and she said the reason she knew he was a keeper was because he was the one dude who didn’t try to aggressively hit on her.

One of the girls in my company in basic banged 10+ dudes in the span of a few weeks before she found one she liked. Last I heard, they were still married.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

Again I don’t know about the gun touching contractors but I’ve been told 30% over cost to employ isn’t unusual. A company I knew that was getting aggressive with pay to draw good talent was only holding 15%

Note that cost to employ isn’t just salary. You’ve got poo poo like health care and 401k and payroll tax etc. For an office worker in the US the rule of thumb is 1.5x salary being cost of employment.
I just went through the process of have my unit rates audited by a govt entity. In my case, for domestic US work, I bill the govt $3.16 for every dollar I make, straight time. The negotiated acceptable profit was a hair over 10%, the rest is overhead, fringe benefits, etc.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I heard a story of some woman contractor going to afghanistan and a dude told her she needed a gun "for taliban? No, men"

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Didn't a female contractor get confined and raped by her co workers in Iraq or something?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Kaliber posted:

Didn't a female contractor get confined and raped by her co workers in Iraq or something?

Yep https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamie_Leigh_Jones

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Cyrano4747 posted:

Edit: note that most contracts are a lump award. Again, dunno about gun carrying contractors but usually it’s “x millions of dollars to provide service Y” and the details are spelled out a bit not as fine grained as salaries. So it might be “2 million dollars to employ a team of 12 technicians and 1 supervisor to polish doorknobs” or whatever.

I have zero idea how this works with someone working outside the US though.

I'm going to assume security contracts are treated the same as any other contract established with the US government. The govt provides line by line everything the contractor needs to provide in the performance work statement/statement of work and the contractors submit their bids. The government is not required to go with the cheapest bid they just have to provide written justification if they don't. The only way the contractor can adjust the cost after the fact is if the govt agrees to it (like if the govt damages rented equipment).

The guy responsible for ensuring the contractor adheres to all the terms in the contract also probably has multiple other contracts they're responsible for on top of also probably having a separate full time job. That's even assuming this individual has the relevant experience or expertise to even competently inspect something like a security contractor.

So yeah, likely lots of contractors out there skimping the US govt.

brains
May 12, 2004

PookBear posted:

I heard a story of some woman contractor going to afghanistan and a dude told her she needed a gun "for taliban? No, men"

quote:

He asked where I was headed.

“Baghdad,” I said. “The embassy.”

“How old are you?” he asked.

“Twenty-two,” I lied. My birthday was five months away.

He frowned. “Have they issued you a firearm?” I shook my head. He nodded and looked out at the line of men behind us. The creases in his forehead were like rails of a train track. He turned back to me and leaned close. “A tall blonde? Get a weapon,” he said. They called his name. He looked up at the nurse and then back to me. “Get a weapon,” he repeated, and walked away.

I’d thought he meant for insurgents.
from https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/10/get-a-weapon/596677/

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Yeah that's the article, I didn't read it but my wife was talking to me about it as she read it

PookBear fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 20, 2020

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I think I read that one when Doctrine Man shared that article. I like reading the comments when he shares posts like that, the chuds eagerly identify themselves.

Same thing happened when he shared an article about the Ahmaud Arbery murder.

Chuds sure do angry post on the internet a lot, do we have our own angry liberal posters? Like literally every Western WA (ie liberal) news site gets flooded with right wing comments despite being located in a liberal area.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mustang posted:

Chuds sure do angry post on the internet a lot, do we have our own angry liberal posters?

My dude, have you ever clicked on C-SPAM? Or whatever title it has these days.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Never even once, couldn't even tell you what that forums about. Haven't set foot in D&D since like....2012 maybe?

GIP, games, and funny pictures are all I use SA for.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Mustang posted:

Never even once, couldn't even tell you what that forums about. Haven't set foot in D&D since like....2012 maybe?

Cherish your ignorance, and hold on to it for as long as possible.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mustang posted:

I think I read that one when Doctrine Man shared that article. I like reading the comments when he shares posts like that, the chuds eagerly identify themselves.

Same thing happened when he shared an article about the Ahmaud Arbery murder.

Chuds sure do angry post on the internet a lot, do we have our own angry liberal posters? Like literally every Western WA (ie liberal) news site gets flooded with right wing comments despite being located in a liberal area.

Basically the only reason to go on facebook anymore is to join lefty groups and make fun of the dumb poo poo chuds post.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Mustang posted:

Just keep it that way. I learn a lot of stuff from reading the big mega threads and what not, but it sometimes seems like freep but for people to the left of the DNC.

On the upside they’re not generally ghoulish death cultists or insane conspiracy theorists, but they are goddamned angry.

CSPAM is much better than D&D, but it’s nowhere near the level of chill and community that we get here in GiP.

All that said there are some sincerely good, nice, and intelligent/thoughtful/wise posters in that forum. I’ve got a handful of CSPAM posters that I will stop to read anything they write because it’s usually very informative.

It’s also a great forum for grabbing tweets. I refuse to get Twitter, they aggregate a lot of tweets I’d never see otherwise.

They are “extremely online” though, so keep that in mind.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

c-spam oscillates between laughing at the absurdity of our era and getting real loving angry at it, but you can't really fault people for being angry

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

PookBear posted:

c-spam oscillates between laughing at the absurdity of our era and getting real loving angry at it, but you can't really fault people for being angry

You can fault them for being loving idiots about it, though.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Still my all time favorite thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

bump for GBS