Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Adderall trip report.....Yeah I won't be taking this poo poo on a daily basis. Felt like I was hopped up on a mega dose of caffeine then came down HARD like I was coming down from a night of partying doing lines of coke. And that was just from half of a dose :v:

If you are actually prescribed that should go away after a few days. Which it seems like you are, I just meant if you just snagged a couple you'll never get to that point.

If you have insurance (because it's expensive without) you might look into vivanse which is a prodrug and thus tapers more smoothly.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah earlier I stated it's a prescription for the brain injury I sustained in a car accident, my memory and focusing abilities are all hosed up now and this is supposed to help.

And yeah it is expensive, and because the VA refuses to prescribe me anything that's a controlled substance I have to pay for it out of pocket, thanks to the government taking such good care of it's veterans!

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Adderall/amphetamine salts cranked my heart rate and not only lowered my appetite it made it nearly impossible for me to eat anything. Definitely helped me focus and calmed down the brain parts for a week and then it started making me really anxious. I stopped taking it daily and only used it sparingly when studying for certifications.

Ritalin/methylphenidate doesn't significantly affect my heart rate, it lowers my appetite but I can still eat fine (and appetite returns to normal when it wears off), and doesn't really do anything negative to my mental state. It doesn't help me with focus as much as Adderall but I can take it daily without dieing.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

And yeah it is expensive, and because the VA refuses to prescribe me anything that's a controlled substance I have to pay for it out of pocket, thanks to the government taking such good care of it's veterans!

Look into free prescription drug discount plans. There are some group plans that are open to everyone. You don't even have to sign up. You just get a code off the website/app.

Galler fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 20, 2020

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

kastein posted:

I don't seem to see an otr trucking thread. I think we have a couple truckers on here still though - currently looking at buying a roadworthy dryvan and packing it with all my crap for the move, then hiring someone who's got a bobtail/deadhead return from the Northeast to the Northwest to drag it out there and drop it on our land, rather than driving a 60 year old unreliable military truck 3000 miles and pray it doesn't break down and leave me stranded in White Power Methamphetamine Montana with all my earthly possessions in tow and no money for a 5 figure tow bill.

Anyone know anyone? Is this a really stupid idea? What rough rate should I expect to pay for ~3000 miles with a customer owned trailer, no hard pickup or delivery deadlines, and maybe 40k trailer weight at most?

I don't know any drivers, but I was a freight broker for some years and still have some company and dispatcher connections - I can send some contact info your way if you desire. Here's a few thoughts for you.

1. I assume you've already thought through access to your site at both the pickup and delivery ends and would have some proper materials to create suitable landing pads for the trailer.

2. You need to make sure whoever is hauling your freight has current insurance, and a valid MC# that's ideally not got a bunch of safety/rule violations on it's record. https://www.carrier411.com/ is what I used, they might have some sort of free trial, you can also look up the MC# https://safer.fmcsa.dot.gov/CompanySnapshot.aspx . If you are doing all the hiring yourself I would also independently verify their insurance information with their insurance company.

3. Since you are small time and one off a broker will likely want full payment up front, an independent owner/op or directly through a larger trucking company? Perhaps you might get to do something like 50% up front, 50% COD.

4. I don't know current rates but I would say the best you'd do would be $1/mile for that lane and possibly $2/mile - more than that and I would think you might be getting taken for a ride (if you want to talk zip codes I could try asking some of my mates for their ideas on current rates though).

5. Since you probably won't be loading heavy (40K you said) then probably it won't matter but you want to consider axle weight so you don't overload one end or the other.

6. Also I have no idea about buying trailers but you're pretty mechanically inclined so hopefully you can get something solid and legal on the used market, but I have no idea what they cost (I could google but :effort:).

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

slothrop posted:

I feel that one area that causes a lot of frustration with cooking, baking in particular, is recipes that are written that assume the reader has knowledge & experience of certain (often basic) techniques.

One last derail back to cooking chat, this is so true. I finally learned from watching Bon Appetit that the secret to fluffy panckakes is to not over-mix the batter. Stir it up and intentionally leave little pockets of dry mix, then let it sit for a couple minutes. I don't know why this works but last saturday I made cakes that blew up over 1/2" thick. Super light and fluffy, and delicious enough for a boxed mix.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Abbreviated explanation: water and flour creates gluten. The physical action of mixing the two creates gluten faster. Managing gluten development is very important when baking.

Interesting gluten management example, the pie dough recipe I use (from America's Test Kitchen) replaces some water with vodka to reduce the amount of gluten that develops while still creating a dough.

Galler fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 20, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Free the Gluten!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I got lazy and did not make a loaf of bread just so I can have croutons on my salad.
I drank beer and cleaned the basement instead. I'm gonna spend the $1.50 on a loaf at the store today and just let it sit out and get dry before I fry it.

I'm gonna BBQ this weekend though. Nothing special, just a couple pork butts.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

slidebite posted:

That can't be understated. It's like troubleshooting a basic computer problem with a senior. The most basic things need to be explicitly spelled out, and even then assume nothing. I just got off the phone with my 73 year old mother who was having printer problems and program association problems and what would have taken my literally less than 2 minutes in person was an agonizing 2 hours even with the ability of her to text me photos of what she was seeing.

Speaking of, I've literally never tried Windows remote desktop app. I'm sure once I'm tunneled in it would be a piece of cake, but how difficult is it to set up on the her side? Do ports or anything need to be opened on her router? Because if they do holy poo poo, I don't know if I could, or should attempt to walk her through that.

Galler posted:

Don't ever open RDP up to the internet. I haven't computer janitored in a while so I'm not sure what the preferred remote support tool is these days but I would probably go with teamviewer or something like that.

What he said.
Google Remote Desktop should be of help, *however*, I've noted that it does not work well with system preferences - you can see them, but you lose control when any old-school sysprefs or control panels are up in the foreground. Same thing happens with Zoom desktop sharing (which is also an option, BTW.)

everdave posted:

My Mazda Bongo Brawny fire truck ends in 7 hours on BAT and it is criminally low in the bidding department right now. This truck is fantastic, there better be a bid war at the end!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1993-mazda-bongo-brawny/

Wish I had the scratch to throw some $$ at it.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

slothrop posted:

Paint it to look like a boat so the government gets rid of it?

Paint it like the bush and wait for fire to burn it down?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

LloydDobler posted:

One last derail back to cooking chat, this is so true. I finally learned from watching Bon Appetit that the secret to fluffy panckakes is to not over-mix the batter. Stir it up and intentionally leave little pockets of dry mix, then let it sit for a couple minutes. I don't know why this works but last saturday I made cakes that blew up over 1/2" thick. Super light and fluffy, and delicious enough for a boxed mix.

Youtube shows like Bon Appetit and Binging with Babish are so much better at explaining cooking and baking fundamentals than any TV cooking show I've seen, tons of stuff is applicable to making all your cooking better, not just the specific recipes they're making.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

All this food talk made me break out my old bread maker and have a loaf on the go while working. I also ran to the store and totally impulse purchased a 1lb brick of fresh (not dried or instant) yeast...and I have no idea why or what I am going to do with it over the next 2 weeks.

I now have baking on my mind I guess :/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Congrats on the sale, everdave. Hope that you made some money on it, looked like at least one person was there to bid on a truck.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Fermented Tinal posted:

Congrats on the sale, everdave. Hope that you made some money on it, looked like at least one person was there to bid on a truck.

I didn't lose any but I can not believe it did not take off at the end, had so many different bidders...

Well another sold and a little made...on to the next one, have an amazing 85 Acty van that will go live on BAT in the next few weeks

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Finally saw the new Supra in person - like it enough in photos, but good lord was it a surprise in the flesh. Bulbous, overstyled, lines are under defined - it’s like someone took the 2nd gen Taurus and made it a sports car.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

everdave posted:

I didn't lose any but I can not believe it did not take off at the end, had so many different bidders...

Well another sold and a little made...on to the next one, have an amazing 85 Acty van that will go live on BAT in the next few weeks

The market for more unique things like the firetruck is surely gonna be harder to make money on than for more 'standard' vehicles isn't it?

I keep watching your BAT sales and I notice that all the people asking lots of questions that you have to go to the effort to answer never ever seem to actually bid. I had thought that BAT was classier than ebay or other sales sites but it appears that the twats are still there too.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

BAT can go gently caress itself, the racist pricks. I submitted my pristine S1 Fulvia and had the audacity to say that it's currently at my property in Poland and got the reply that "sorry, it's not the right fit for our site". Bet if I had said it was in Copenhagen or the UK (which it could be within days), it would have been a different story. 1st year of production, 305th off the line, clearly garbage trash nobody will want to buy

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

COVID's also likely put a damper on this sort of purchasing I'd imagine as well. As cool as a JDM firetruck is, with the uncertainty whether you'll have continued employment I can see potential buyers being much more hesitant to buy right now.

Still good to hear it wasn't a loss.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

You Am I posted:

It's a Barra, isn't it? Right? Right? ;)

I'd be lying if I said we didnt CAD a Barra and did not have a look at potentially doing it. You could also use BMW parts to keep it AWD - there absolutely no length or width issues as in both those directions an Outback's engine bay is huge.

The height is your problem. Dry sump and a custom sub frame are pretty much required.

It would be a cool project but I aint got the time to tackle it. Someone else can read the above and start thinking.

quote:

BAT can go gently caress itself, the racist pricks. I submitted my pristine S1 Fulvia and had the audacity to say that it's currently at my property in Poland and got the reply that "sorry, it's not the right fit for our site".

What the actual gently caress? That looks like the perfect car for BaT, what BS of the highest order

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 20, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Grakkus posted:

BAT can go gently caress itself, the racist pricks. I submitted my pristine S1 Fulvia and had the audacity to say that it's currently at my property in Poland and got the reply that "sorry, it's not the right fit for our site". Bet if I had said it was in Copenhagen or the UK (which it could be within days), it would have been a different story. 1st year of production, 305th off the line, clearly garbage trash nobody will want to buy

drat that's a hot car though

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

BAT is so popular at this point I'm sure they just reject piles of applicants for any reason that jumps out at them. My dad's submitted a few really decent Volvo 240 wagons but they had high miles. They wouldn't list any of them.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I can NOT emphasis this enough. Do not under any circumstance open RDP to the world. You WILL get 0wned.

Teamviewer is pretty much fine for personal stuff.

I'd be asking questions if you WEREN'T like that. The better perspective is that you really do have some problems and it's human to be emotional - and probably don't listen to me because I am loving terrible with this poo poo. But anyway, no one's gonna think less of you being a "crybaby" with that ginormous pile you have been dealt. Have some time with the rest of the assholes around here as they are better than me at talking.

------

This loving Outback may have a solution.

It does not involve an EZ30 or thermite.

Funny you mention teamviewer. I am possibly aware of a company that sent employees that had never WFH’d to WFH with internal network assets that were never before used outside the corporate network.

A peculiarity of this particular circumstance may have been that it was discovered the corporate IT team had installed teamviewer on some thin clients without a password, and EPP/EDR detections went berserk.

The purpose of the thin client was to open a VDI session to a corporate server for the end user. The VDI sessions were throwing EDR alerts however, not the thin client...

It was thus discovered that some subset of the newly-home users had plugged the thin clients directly into broadband modems, and botnets were logging into the underlying Ubuntu thin client, taking control of keyboard and mouse through teamviewer, and copying and pasting a command (thankfully malformed) into the Windows VDI client.

Re mom screen sharing, just use join.me or something temporarily.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Tomarse posted:

The market for more unique things like the firetruck is surely gonna be harder to make money on than for more 'standard' vehicles isn't it?

I keep watching your BAT sales and I notice that all the people asking lots of questions that you have to go to the effort to answer never ever seem to actually bid. I had thought that BAT was classier than ebay or other sales sites but it appears that the twats are still there too.

Like most things the more difficult the customer or the more they ask are the ones who don’t buy. Had so many different bidders still can’t believe it didn’t go for at least 8. But buyer is super nice and is already wiring the funds just keep em moving...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Tomarse posted:

Asking questions about a car on an auction site isn't being a twat, what the gently caress?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Those questions help other people that might not post even if the asker never bids, barring some troll questions I suppose.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Asking questions about a car on an auction site isn't being a twat, what the gently caress?

I think he and I mean the multiple people asking questions that have already been answered multiple times never bid. Like about AC or drivetrain that has been answered repeatedly guaranteed those people who keep asking without reading the description or any other answers won’t bid. It’s why I started putting DO NOT SEND ME “is this available” on FB marketplace or if I will take trades the first thing my ads say answers those questions in depth.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

BuckyDoneGun posted:

You know how people always go on about how “they should teach X in schools!”? In NZ, when you hit what is now called Year 7 and 8, age 10/11 - 12/13, everyone does compulsory “Manual Training”. Generally cooking, sewing, woodwork and metalwork, although it varies slightly. The cooking side took you through all the basic techniques like rubbing and creaming and roux and so on.

Of course half of people turn around and say “wait, I was supposed to learn something from that?”, so like anything there’s no helping some people. 90% of the things people say should be taught in schools actually did get taught if you were paying attention.

Back In My Day (TM) we did that poo poo in high school too. Home Economics (cooking/sewing), Shop (metal/wood craft), and Auto Maintenance were on offer.

They ended those programs during the last Bush presidency to fund more computers to up standardized test scores.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Dunno if I’m just noticing them for the first time or if they’re becoming more popular this year but I saw some raised garden planters on FB marketplace and picked one up for pops. He was sounding pretty disappointed about not being able to plant a garden this year due to neither him or I being in physical shape to handle the front-tine tiller. That old thing is a beast. My disc herniation likes to strike at odd times and hurts like a mother. And pops is recovering from being cut open from drat near his whole abdomen still.

This year of all years would make sense for a garden too what with is happening in the world. So yeah, got a raised garden planter and we managed to fill it with only 3 bags of potting soil. No tilling needed. Pops doesn’t have to bend over as far. Then as the season gets further along hopefully we can put some netting up to protect against the rear end in a top hat deer.

Like these:

And then I read this: Sowing seeds of happiness: Emotional well-being while home gardening similar to other popular activities, study finds

Coredump fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 21, 2020

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So we get twice-yearly raises where I work. One is review/performance-based, one is mostly automatic (your manager can kick it up a bit if they want to, but it's normally 5%, while the review-based ones are anywhere from 3-10%).

They just extended the extra $2/hr we've been getting for another month, we're apparently getting a double raise in late June (forgoing our regular 3rd quarter raise for it), and our employee discount is jumping from 10% to 25% until the 4th of July.

This means right when I hit my 1 year mark, I'll be sitting on 6 raises (I got one when I got moved to FT, outside of the normal cycle). :stare: I already make a pretty healthy amount for basically spending all night on my knees throwing poo poo on shelves. And most of what I buy, including poo poo like light bulbs, is store-brand, so it's mostly available under the store discount (it only covers private-label).

EVERYBODY has bailed on me on helping move, including new roommate (he said he'd help unload my dresser, that's it, and I've known this fucker for 20 years). New roommate situation definitely turned into very temporary over that (a few months at most). The double raise (if it's at the normal 5% x 2) will put me right at 18/hr (I started at 15), plus the extra 2/hr I'm getting right now, and I have some drat good benefits. The extra money will definitely help with the movers I'm gonna wind up hiring, though if I could have moved in 2 weeks I would have been able to take a paid week off instead of unpaid. :sigh: And it means I'll be able to actually get a nice place alone instead of a roommate situation or a shithole apartment.

In COVID news, mom is doing well and so far is just staying home and just feeling lovely, her coworker is not doing well.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 21, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

That grocery store you work for sounds like they treat their employees impressively well, I'd shop there exclusively if I lived in Texas just based on your stories.

$18 an hour plus bennies ain't rich by any means, but I'm irrationally happy that you're doing well and working for an employer that treats you well, plus all the positive you seem to be making.

I only did about a year working for a grocer, but turnover's usually pretty high and I bet you'll move up to supervisor pretty quick if you want to.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I've been in grocery off and on for 6 years. My base pay right now is 16 and change, but the "hero pay" has been adding 2/hr for a bit now. IF I get the double raise (like it sounds like it might be), then yeah, my base will be around 18. Plus however long they keep extending the extra $2/hr. The company has very deep pockets, they don't mind staying in the red for a bit if it means keeping stores running.

I'm not gonna get rich, but since rear end in a top hat Manager got moved out of the store, I've had one automatic raise (which was the standard 5%), plus a raise when I got moved to full time. And I do plan to move up - the problem is, moving up outside of overnights will cost me the overnight premium (a little under $2/hr). Trying to get my pay up high enough to where that won't matter before I go for a daytime position. But most of our overnight stockers are guys in their 40s and 50s - that's usually a position dominated by teens and 20-somethings anywhere else. I'm in my early 40s, and I'm one of the young'ins (we have one guy that's 30...)

This location has only been open 8 years, and we have several overnighters who are already maxed out @ $23/hr + 4 weeks of vacation a year. I should get one week this year, 2 weeks per year for the next couple, etc. And they still have separate sick pay instead of just one paid time off pool.

The company has a serious cult-like following among customers. And my benefits are dirt cheap. They match my 401k up to the typical 2.5%, but for every $1 I put in, they put in $1.60. My medical is $20/week for a good PPO. STD, LTD, life insurance @ 2x your yearly wages, and AD&D @ 2x are free (you can opt out if you want, but why would you? you can also opt into much higher coverage). They also have their own credit union, plus two "lodges" in BFE that anybody with 1 year of service can use for free ($50 deposit; most of them have AC, they're basically furnished 1930s-1950s houses in a compound around lakes, bring your bed and bath linens, cookware, boat, and fishing pole)

https://www.kut.org/post/why-texans-love-h-e-b-so-much
https://www.eater.com/2018/12/11/18133776/heb-texas-origin-cult-following
https://www.texasmonthly.com/food/heb-prepared-coronavirus-pandemic/

Also I can honestly say I work for a bunch of Butts without getting in trouble. :haw:

Ideally I'd like to move to their tech center, but that requires getting caught up on my networking and programming skills (Netware 2.12 and Turbo Pascal 6.0 are still valid, right? also OS/2?). They have two, one is local. There's a very strong promote from within culture, it's very rare to get hired from outside without connections. I got lucky there.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:21 on May 21, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

That's not too bad, I'll always remember my experience working for Safeway, got a job working the Seafood/fresh meat counter after I lost my job as an electrician, got it after I had already signed up to enlist in the Navy, so I was pretty no fucks given. $100 in union dues a month, and I earned $0.15 over minimum wage, which nets out to me earning less than minimum wage. I trained at the Ballard Safeway, under someone who was basically the God of the seafood counter, her competency surpassed all but a few nuclear operators I've met since, no idea why she was a seafood counter manager.

Anyway, my store in Greenwood wasn't on the same level, my manager was an idiot, and I got offered her job after a month of working there, because she no-call/no-showed 4 times in a month, and I went past 10 hours of overtime covering for her, the cashiers looked at me like a loving god when they heard this, 2 weeks accidentally logging overtime if not approved in a month (seriously, like you're scheduled for 40hrs a week and you log 40hrs +5 minutes) is a firing offense. noone got approved overtime, much less 10 hours of it in a week.

I declined the offer of manager, and we hired another person, and I got "floated" between stores, up to an hour commute to work for less than minimum wage, plus they cut me back to 20hrs a week. Oh, also my store had about half a million loving dollars in COOL violations that I had to fix any drat time I took the counter.

Finally I was talking to the assistant store manager (all 5'2 of Napolean complex that he was, we bonded because I drove an '01 Mustang convertible [V6, Auto, lol] and he had an '04 GT (40th anniversary edition! I had one of these with a whipple later on, I ended up crashing it into a car at 50 mph later in life) that he was saving in his garage until "it was worth 'several hundred thousand dollars'" about a Tilapia display, we sold Tilapia for like $1.99, and we were ALWAYS fuckin pushing it, which tells you something about what they buy it for, and I brought up the fact that the walk-in freezer had a 45⁰ ice slope on the concrete, that made reaching frozen fish products extremely treacherous, he said "when you get the drat Tilapia display fixed, I'll consider fixing the walk-in!"

And I was like "lol, I quit, ain't comin' in tomorrow"

I let myself be goaded into working another two weeks, but gently caress That, I would TEAR someone apart who treated me that way now, hell I've taken my military superiors to task for treating my subordinates half that lovely, and they hold legal sway over me.

Anyways that's my story of working in grocery, and I'm pretty happy your experience is better.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

My stepdad put in his time with Safeway. Mostly in the 60s and 70s, but briefly in the 90s. He liked it a lot back in the day, hated it in the late 90s and left after less than a year (as a store managlemer). He's with Walgreens now, used to love it, hates it now that it's no longer a family-owned company, but he's been with them so long that he's just riding it out until he can say "gently caress you, gently caress you, you're cool, gently caress you, I'm out". He's pushing 70, so he's well within his rights to retire.

Safeway (operating mostly as Albertson's in TX, sometimes Tom Thumb or Randall's in some areas - he was pre-Albertsons merger, so Tom Thumb/Randall's) isn't a union shop here - AFAIK the only union grocery store in TX is Kroger. And I remember when I'd go shop at the Kroger across the street from the Whole Foods I worked at... in uniform.. after work (had to do my beer runs, and hell, they were cheaper anyway). And the cashiers would get an attitude with me about being in a non-union shop. Ail it took was asking how much they made an hour (usually around $8-9/hr when I made 13/hr... in 2010) to shut them up. Don't pull the "well at least I HAVE A UNION poo poo" when I'm making more than you with less time on the job with better benefits (this was obviously when Whole Foods was a good company to work for, which ended around 2010 - I left right before they laid off almost all full timers).

Nothing against unions that actually stand up for their workers. A lot of the grocery unions aren't doing poo poo.

Elviscat posted:

I let myself be goaded into working another two weeks, but gently caress That, I would TEAR someone apart who treated me that way now, hell I've taken my military superiors to task for treating my subordinates half that lovely, and they hold legal sway over me.

I've torn into managlemers at other jobs for doing stupid poo poo, or for treating someone badly that didn't deserve it. It resulted in a store manager walking out mid-shift once (lowly shift manager ripping into me? WHY I NEVER, gently caress this place!) when I worked for the Papa.

And I have absolutely ripped people who thought they had authority over me new assholes. It's one thing to tell me "hey, this isn't how it should be done, let me show you how it's supposed to be done, or refer you to the proper training" - constructive criticism I'm cool with, let me know where I'm loving up and suggest how to improve and I'll buy you a beer or five. It's another to rip me 50 assholes in front of everyone, I will absolutely rip you an extra 51 assholes in a calm voice with a smile on my face the entire time, knowing you can't do a drat thing about it because you were the aggressor and I killed you with kindness, on camera, and our cameras have audio, and I'm standing there with my hands behind my back totally calm and you're screaming your lungs off while I'm just talking calmly and smiling.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:17 on May 21, 2020

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

STR posted:

EVERYBODY has bailed on me on helping move, including new roommate (he said he'd help unload my dresser, that's it, and I've known this fucker for 20 years). New roommate situation definitely turned into very temporary over that (a few months at most). The double raise (if it's at the normal 5% x 2) will put me right at 18/hr (I started at 15), plus the extra 2/hr I'm getting right now, and I have some drat good benefits. The extra money will definitely help with the movers I'm gonna wind up hiring, though if I could have moved in 2 weeks I would have been able to take a paid week off instead of unpaid. :sigh: And it means I'll be able to actually get a nice place alone instead of a roommate situation or a shithole apartment.

The funny thing is moving someone else is 10x better than moving yourself. You get all the heavy and hard stuff loaded into their place, then don't have to deal at all with the unpacking. Plus it's a good excuse to drink some beer and eat some pizza while you're getting good exercise at the same time, the best of all worlds.

Re: your mom, any chance you have a pulse oximeter to give her? I wouldn't assume so except I'm pretty sure I got the idea for buying one from the AI chat thread in March or April.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I don't, also I'm 4 hours away... but aside from being just run down in general and a mild fever and cough, she's been doing well. She's describing it as "a bad cold so far". Her loving boss is all over her for not coming to work, but joke's on her boss... her boss has her illegally classified as 1099. e: okay mom's poo poo went on way too long, we'll just say she's illegally classified and she's just waiting for the right time to napalm her boss

I wasn't even asking for help with boxes. Just with the actual furniture that I can't lift myself. Plan was to load the boxes at the front of the truck, furniture at the back (it's only a 16 ft box truck, and we're going all of 1.5 miles up the road on 40 mph roads, not worried about the tail wagging the dog with that). The infamous dresser is the big deal, then ex's couch, dining room table (I can probably do the table mostly solo - I can lift it myself, just need someone to kind of guide it so I don't bang the walls going downstairs), TV stand, and bed (it's a typical inner-spring mattress, so pretty heavy). It's an hour of work at each end, with promises of money, pizza, and beer. Roomie said he'd help me with the dresser at both ends, but won't touch my ex's stuff. That just pisses me off - I'm trying to stay on good terms with her (FFS we've known each other for close to 30 years now), and she hasn't been able to line anybody up - and I've known roomie for over 20 years. My dresser is by far the heaviest piece, the rest is cake that's mostly just figuring out how to angle it through the drat door.

I move 3000+ pound pallets around with manual pallet jacks, and break dozens down every night. I'm not the hulk, but I have a good amount of muscle (hiding under the beer belly). My roommate is a lot taller, but a twig at 160, and I've already grabbed him with one arm and thrown him over my shoulder like a sack of potatoes when he claimed there was no way I could even lift him off the ground (he was draped over my shoulder by the time he finished the sentence, which kind of trailed off into "HOW THE gently caress"). I don't ask for help moving poo poo unless it's just too bulky or way above what I can carry.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:45 on May 21, 2020

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

taqueso posted:

Those questions help other people that might not post even if the asker never bids, barring some troll questions I suppose.

Asking sensible questions about stuff that isn't covered in the description or photos is helpful and constructive and i am all for it! (and in my case generally annoyed with myself that I missed it out of the initial description) - but you always seem to get a rush of twats appearing during the last hours/day of the auction who ask questions about stuff that is already covered or is totally inconsequential or stupid.
You then have to go to the effort of answering them but in retrospect it seems guaranteed that this sort of person will never bid.

Especially on B.A.T. where you always have big detailed descriptions and lots and lots of photos - any serious buyer spending $thousands on a weird vehicle is going to have read the description multiple times over the last few days and is going to have pored over the photos. Any important questions should have come out well before the last day of the auction and any questionable points on items that might only cost a $couple of hundred to sort out themselves are not going to matter.

STR posted:

It's an hour of work at each end, with promises of money, pizza, and beer. Roomie said he'd help me with the dresser at both ends, but won't touch my ex's stuff. That just pisses me off - I'm trying to stay on good terms with her (FFS we've known each other for close to 30 years now), and she hasn't been able to line anybody up - and I've known roomie for over 20 years. My dresser is by far the heaviest piece, the rest is cake that's mostly just figuring out how to angle it through the drat door.

I'd have helped if i wasnt 5000 miles away! Just remember all these people who didn't help when anybody else asks you for help or to fix their poo poo!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Can vouch for this, when we got our house I turned my wasteland of a backyard into a tropical garden slowly over time, it's finally to the where I imagined it years ago so I'm basically maintaining it at this point. It's hard work, especially in the summer when it's hot as hell, but to see the results of all that hard work over the years is very satisfying especially when you get compliments.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

Back In My Day (TM) we did that poo poo in high school too. Home Economics (cooking/sewing), Shop (metal/wood craft), and Auto Maintenance were on offer.

They ended those programs during the last Bush presidency to fund more computers to up standardized test scores.

I was forever salty that I missed shop and auto class at my high school by a couple years. Target shooting/archery too :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jesus gently caress,

$2400 just to repair the water leak. Contractor on his way over to give the estimate for the drywall repair and THEN we have to get the carpet dude in here for that as well.

This is gonna be like $5000 when it's all said and done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Where is the leak coming from? What's your insurance deductible?