Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Caesar Saladin posted:

my favourite part of the game is Cloud's reaction to Tifa seeing him in a dress. One of the funniest moments i've seen in a game honestly, perfectly delivered line.

Tied with Cloud's reaction to Madam M's most expensive massage and Aerith's subsequent reaction to Cloud's behaviour afterwards!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Cloud being so spent that the game briefly kicks control over to Aeris is :discourse:

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

“Sorry about your rear end”

Broken Bio Qlock
Mar 8, 2009
Nap Ghost

Elentor posted:

When I was a kid my father overheard a friend and I talking about Sephiroth, and started to call him Zé Farofa, and as absolutely hilarious as that is to me and everyone who speaks Brazilian Portuguese I'm having a really hard time translating the joke, I am so sorry.

Edit: Google Translate being a hero and calling him Joe Crumbs.

Sorry to bring up a post from 50 pages and 2 months ago but I loved this and can confirm it’s loving hilarious to Brazilians.
I will always refer to Seffy as Zé Farofa from now on.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Speaking of stupid names, I'd like to share something here. So right now I can't do the whole LP thingie, so I decided to start something FF7-related instead:

Slums of Midgar - A Game for 8 Teams

Even if you have no interest in the Tradgames you might at least enjoy the flavor texts.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Has anybody made an Aerith custom character in a wrestling game yet?

I'm imagining her special move involving metal chairs. Metal chair in the intro animations.

Chairs everywhere.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Caesar Saladin posted:

my favourite part of the game is Cloud's reaction to Tifa seeing him in a dress. One of the funniest moments i've seen in a game honestly, perfectly delivered line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY3Fk3e6cVU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

That line is probably my favorite line and scene in the game, its the perfect delivery.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

TontoCorazon posted:

That line is probably my favorite line and scene in the game, its the perfect delivery.

That, and this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ7VKBLSaas

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

haha that rules

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Dr. Eldarion posted:

haha that rules

Agreed. That's great

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

vyst posted:

Agreed. That's great

The best thing is, it doesn't even affect your affection stat with her

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
So negging works after all

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Dell_Zincht posted:

The best thing is, it doesn't even affect your affection stat with her

There's an affection stat?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Who What Now posted:

In the original there is. In the remake, who knows? It'd be pointless to have one unless there's some kind of save transferring over. Affection points in the OG determine Cloud dates at the Gold Saucer, and whether he and Tifa bone down under the Highwind.

e: that said as if by instinct i was always nicer to tifa even tho my brain knew it didn't matter this time

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Who What Now posted:

Yes, it determines who you meet in Chapter 14

Edit - And who also joins you for the final battle

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Dell_Zincht posted:

Yes, it determines who you meet in Chapter 14

oh rly

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

You can get Barret in that scene too

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Which leads me to believe there's no way in hell they aren't gonna have that date in the next game

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

TontoCorazon posted:

You can get Barret in that scene too

So is it impossible to get Barret on the first playthrough if you do all of the missions with Tifa and Aerith, even if you talk smack to them both at every turn?

Because I got Tifa, despite being too cool for girls in every dialogue option.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

LadyPictureShow posted:

So is it impossible to get Barret on the first playthrough if you do all of the missions with Tifa and Aerith, even if you talk smack to them both at every turn?

Because I got Tifa, despite being too cool for girls in every dialogue option.

Yeah, you need to skip all sidequests with Tifa and Aerith and be a dick to them to get Barret.

It's similar to the OG in that most people playing for the very first time will either get Aerith or Tifa as a date at the Gold Saucer, but it is possible to get Barret completely accidentally (although unlikely.)

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Sounds like a solid test run for whichever part of the remake has the Gold Saucer. Maybe they'll have a special relationship point event in every game.

Doctor Discomfort
Jan 4, 2015

I just saw this the other day in some FF7 mod called New Threat

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Mickey mickey mickey mouse

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I’m in and out of several FF and Star Trek threads and I got very confused as to which one I was in :psyduck:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

I may have to play this game.

Cloud strikes me as that particular kind of character who actually plays off the serious stone-faced anime protagonist thing well because it makes him all the funnier in contrast to everything around him. It's like Batman, Batman himself generally isn't the one being funny, but he makes things funny.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

And when he breaks that facade it's infinitely funnier.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Cloud is mentally teenager doing his best impression of what he thinks a cool guy is.

This is why Barret is annoyed by it, Tifa is a little concerned but plays along with it to keep him stable, she Aerith mercilessly teases him about it as soon as he falls through the church roof.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I mean, that basically also accurately describes Batman. And I think Gordon, Alfred and Robin respectively.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

bewilderment posted:

Cloud is mentally teenager doing his best impression of what he thinks a cool guy is.

This is why Barret is annoyed by it, Tifa is a little concerned but plays along with it to keep him stable, she Aerith mercilessly teases him about it as soon as he falls through the church roof.

It's always been jarring why Tifa isn't upset about how Cloud is enamored by Aerith the minute she shows up, and Aerith/Tifa are very nice to each other. Like, Tifa knows Cloud is hosed up and sees Aerith manipulate the poo poo out of him. It's like seeing your idiot brother walk a printer over to a girl's house, it's pathetic and annoying but also kind of worrying. Any time Aerith is getting hurt or whatever, Cloud pops into action to be sweet on her when he's a dick to everyone else.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

jokes posted:

It's always been jarring why Tifa isn't upset about how Cloud is enamored by Aerith the minute she shows up, and Aerith/Tifa are very nice to each other. Like, Tifa knows Cloud is hosed up and sees Aerith manipulate the poo poo out of him. It's like seeing your idiot brother walk a printer over to a girl's house, it's pathetic and annoying but also kind of worrying. Any time Aerith is getting hurt or whatever, Cloud pops into action to be sweet on her when he's a dick to everyone else.

Everyone knows that cloud is mentally ill and they're all walking on eggshells around him. They need him for the mako attack but they're worried he might snap and do something crazy. Aerith doesn't know any of that, so that is why their dynamic is so weird.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Salt Fish posted:

Everyone knows that cloud is mentally ill and they're all walking on eggshells around him. They need him for the mako attack but they're worried he might snap and do something crazy. Aerith doesn't know any of that, so that is why their dynamic is so weird.

Yeah, no, that's apparent but you'd think Tifa would be leery of Aerith instead of be instant pals. Aerith is a pusher/teaser from the get-go.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The thing is, Tifa thinks she might be crazy too. Cloud remembers things about Nibelheim that, as far as she knows, he was never there for. So she's too busy trying to figure out what's real and what isn't in her own memories to really fully grasp how hosed in the head Cloud is. She just knows something is wrong and she's kind of scared of it, and what he might do if she questions it. Or what he might say that will throw her own memory even further out of perspective.

All that poo poo going on in her head and she probably isn't too worried about the very nice, very capable girl who teases Cloud a lot. Sure, Aeris is manipulating Cloud some to get him to do what she wants ... but then again Barret and Tifa had kinda been doing the same thing. Stones, glass houses.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

i think that despite some janky translation, in the og game cloud's mental illness and everyone's reactions to it were really well done. i was young enough to never catch the fact that everyone was treating him with little kid gloves the whole time. i just saw the cool sword and went "whoa, cool sword", never realizing that everyone else was looking at his cool sword and thinking "we need to keep this guy stable at any cost".

one scene i really appreciate in ff8 is when squall randomly screams "NO ONE TALK ABOUT ME IN THE PAST TENSE" at his friends when they're in the middle of mourning a dead kid and runs crying out of the room. everyone looks at each other like :catstare: and then they NEVER mention it again.

lmao probably one of the most true-to-life scenes in all of FF

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I figured Aerith is basically the supportive mom in the team dynamic and makes people comfortable around the blonde brick shithouse who might be insane because she's not walking on eggshells around him or treating him like a weapon that could go off any moment.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
If anything Tifa should be mad at Cloud because she's clearly in love with Aerith too.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Who What Now posted:

If anything Tifa should be mad at Cloud because she's clearly in love with Aerith too.

New motivation for Tifa to kick the poo poo out of Sephiroth in future parts of the game confirmed.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

How many affection points for threesome?

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

vyst posted:

How many affection points for threesome?

You gotta use a Gamegenie disc to unlock the threesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

if you press up down square square triangle L1 R1 then the game will get interrupted by a cinematic where your party members jump in front of sephiroth before he penetrates aeris