Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Mordja posted:

Any worse than a bunch of irony-rotted goons pretending that they themselves didn't love that trailer back in the day?

I thought the trailer has always been ridiculous along with Dom's death scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The trailer was ridiculous and Gears is ridiculous, so it's perfect.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Ainsley McTree posted:

I didn’t love gwent but I’m liking thronebreaker a lot. I will say that the card game is very different from gwent and feels more like hearthstone than anything in witcher 3. And if you don’t like it at all, the game has a story mode that lets you press “skip battle” so you can continue to progress after a loss.

The artwork on the cards is gorgeous, and it has the caliber of music and writing that you’d expect from the franchise at this point. It’s worth picking up for cheap if you love witcher but are iffy on gwent; that was my attitude going in and I’m even starting to come around on the card game aspect of it.

I didn't love Gwent either. If it changes up the formula a bit, I'll definitely give it a shot since I really enjoy the setting. It's on sale right now and $10 sounds like a good deal.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ragequit posted:

I didn't love Gwent either. If it changes up the formula a bit, I'll definitely give it a shot since I really enjoy the setting. It's on sale right now and $10 sounds like a good deal.

$10 is a good price to check it out on i'd say, yeah. Even if you don't like the card game, it's a $10 witcher visual novel

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

EA is open sourcing C&C and RA and adding workshop support to the remaster:

quote:

Today we are proud to announce that alongside the launch of the Remastered Collection, Electronic Arts will be releasing the TiberianDawn.dll and RedAlert.dll and their corresponding source code under the GPL version 3.0 license. This is a key moment for Electronic Arts, the C&C community, and the gaming industry, as we believe this will be one of the first major RTS franchises to open source their source code under the GPL.

quote:

Now in terms of discovering user content, we wanted to take full advantage of the PC platforms to streamline this process. For Steam players, we’re utilizing the Steam Workshop for sharing both maps and mods. Players can subscribe to maps and mods directly in the game’s Community Hub within Steam, or utilize in-game menus to browse / download content as well.

https://old.reddit.com/r/commandandconquer/comments/gnevp8/remaster_update_and_open_source_mod_support/

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Threep posted:

Did they? That's cool, all I saw was some sorry you were offended bullshit designed not to upset the people cheering the transphobia on too much.

Hey this discussion seems real familiar, maybe it's because trans folks who tried to bring it up in the game's thread got so frustrated with all the people wanting them to shut up about things like existing and having options they left the forums entirely. Kinda like the way you're trying to shut it down here by deciding to be the final authority.

Would any apology be good enough? Or is any company that does anything slightly offensive permanently tainted, no matter how much they grovel and fire the people involved?

To be more specific, when was the last time a company issued an apology that made you change your stance on them?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Funky Valentine posted:

The trailer was ridiculous and Gears is ridiculous, so it's perfect.

More like Tears of War. Let that bitch cry!

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

ymgve posted:

Would any apology be good enough? Or is any company that does anything slightly offensive permanently tainted, no matter how much they grovel and fire the people involved?

To be more specific, when was the last time a company issued an apology that made you change your stance on them?
There it is

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Fallom posted:

EA is open sourcing C&C and RA and adding workshop support to the remaster:

https://old.reddit.com/r/commandandconquer/comments/gnevp8/remaster_update_and_open_source_mod_support/

Oh, loving awesome, especially considering they'd been pretty ambiguous about the remaster getting mod support at all.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I tried to play some oldschool Command and Conquer but I couldn't get over the how you left click to do things instead of right click like in every other RTS style game. Evidently this is one of those hills that hardcore C&C fans die on.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Threep posted:

There it is

Yes, there it is. Because while I try to be an ally, it is so loving hard when there are purity tests like this is everywhere. Gotta have a perfect track record, or the whole company gets branded. The average person will look at the list of things I provided and go "Wait, that's it?". CDProjekt is not Graham Linehan. They are not your enemy.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I tried to play some oldschool Command and Conquer but I couldn't get over the how you left click to do things instead of right click like in every other RTS style game. Evidently this is one of those hills that hardcore C&C fans die on.

I don't see anybody dying on that hill, but some people do have a strong preference for one or the other. C&C Generals let you pick between left-click and right-click control and the Remaster will let you pick which you want for the original games. I think C&C 3 and RA 3 have the option, as well.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 20, 2020

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I've just never had any problems going between left and right click. :shrug:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Threep posted:

Did they? That's cool, all I saw was some sorry you were offended bullshit designed not to upset the people cheering the transphobia on too much.

Hey this discussion seems real familiar, maybe it's because trans folks who tried to bring it up in the game's thread got so frustrated with all the people wanting them to shut up about things like existing and having options they left the forums entirely. Kinda like the way you're trying to shut it down here by deciding to be the final authority.

i was under the impression that after getting fyad deleted the transgender community on the forums, lacking a unifying foe to collaborate against, split into several warring states accusing each other of violating the designated trans space borderlines and wiped themselves off the forum in a display of mutually assured destruction, which was kind of ironic when you think about it

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I downloaded some fangames based on Tiberian Sun and they didn't give you the option to switch. When I looked it up what to do about it there were a bunch of people defending it. That's super cool that the Remaster lets you switch it

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
The rather underwhelming Serious Sam 4 trailer included a release date: August 2020. All the trailers and everything are plastered all over Steam's frontpage. Man, I hope SS4 will be a return to form.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Blattdorf posted:

The rather underwhelming Serious Sam 4 trailer included a release date: August 2020. All the trailers and everything are plastered all over Steam's frontpage. Man, I hope SS4 will be a return to form.

If not, the sequel to The Talos Principle is going to look amazing.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Blattdorf posted:

Man, I hope SS4 will be a return to form.

Yep.

3 had cool stuff going but the pacing and level design as well as the fun bullshit from the first 3 (even 2) was completely missing. The latter seems abscent here as well but maybe the pacing will be better again.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Samuringa posted:

The fact that you think it's arguable whether objectification, belittling, and ridicule count as transphobia or not say more about you than CDRed(Who definitely are transphobes, thanks for providing examples).

One of the instances saw the guy deservedly get fired. The other one, we don't know who ran that account specifically and what happened with them. The in-game stuff I think is actually pretty cool, sexualisation and objectification kinda are cornerstones of marketing, and putting that on a mass market public like a soft drink implies a general level of societal acceptance. The number of customisation options also seem incredibly inclusive, though it's very possible that the writing may turn that potential positive to quite the negative.

Especially given the genres they work in and being based in Poland, they've got a surprisingly decent track record. Says more about the genres of cyberpunk, medieval fantasy and the state of Polish politics than totally absolving CDPR though. It's definitely good to expect better when they gently caress up, but they're not utterly incorrigible.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

One of the instances saw the guy deservedly get fired. The other one, we don't know who ran that account specifically and what happened with them. The in-game stuff I think is actually pretty cool, sexualisation and objectification kinda are cornerstones of marketing, and putting that on a mass market public like a soft drink implies a general level of societal acceptance. The number of customisation options also seem incredibly inclusive, though it's very possible that the writing may turn that potential positive to quite the negative.

Especially given the genres they work in and being based in Poland, they've got a surprisingly decent track record. Says more about the genres of cyberpunk, medieval fantasy and the state of Polish politics than totally absolving CDPR though. It's definitely good to expect better when they gently caress up, but they're not utterly incorrigible.

I understand the concern about that ad but It doesn't make sense to me to lay judgement on it until the game actually releases.

I think it's pretty funny this is coming from the same developer who made those sex cards in Witcher 1 though. somewhat ironic?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
That Gary Jules cover is shite and the original song is perfect, Tears for Fears owns, thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

DrNutt posted:

That Gary Jules cover is shite and the original song is perfect, Tears for Fears owns, thank you for coming to my TED talk.

:agreed:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

DrNutt posted:

That cover always struck me as Mega Missing the Point, the Song, the Movie, the Game.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

exquisite tea posted:

That cover always struck me as Mega Missing the Point, the Song, the Movie, the Game.

For sure. It’s not a song about being depressed, it’s more about modern life stressing you the gently caress out. It’s like 2020: the song. Making it all mopey is stupid.

Tears for Fears rules.

I’m looking for a good podcast game, basically something where there’s no words and I can just sort of zone out and play and listen to podcasts now that I’m not commuting anymore. Starlink on UPlay+ is good for that but getting a bit stale. Any suggestions?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Civilization is my classic podcast game. I think either VI or V is good at this point.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

For sure. It’s not a song about being depressed, it’s more about modern life stressing you the gently caress out. It’s like 2020: the song. Making it all mopey is stupid.

Tears for Fears rules.

I’m looking for a good podcast game, basically something where there’s no words and I can just sort of zone out and play and listen to podcasts now that I’m not commuting anymore. Starlink on UPlay+ is good for that but getting a bit stale. Any suggestions?

I’ve been playing cook serve delicious 3 for this purpose. The “chill” difficulty is easily chill enough to just mash buttons mindlessly and listen to a podcast while making number go up.

Sometimes I play euro truck simulator 2 for that purpose as well, but crashing is distracting enough to take me out of concentration.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Runefall games, especially Runefall 2

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Tears for Fears rules.

Forager, House Flipper, Hitman 2 when you've memorized every line of dialogue on a level, solitaire (spider two suit best), Cook Serve Delicious 3, Ancient Enemy, Intergalatic Fishing, Grim Dawn, Minecraft, Terraria....

ahem, that's the list of podcast games I have used in the last six months. Forager and House Flipper are getting me through my Reply All backlog currently.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

You motherfucker how dare you

It was the first RTS I ever played, and yeah switching between games is a little weird just on that. Just makes it awkward getting a whole group selected and accidentally unclicking with right mouse, like a starter pistol misfiring

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Oh yeah, Diablo 3 in adventure mode is great for this too. Or any MMO endgame, but admittedly it’s just a little bit of a time investment to get there

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Thanks for all the suggestions! And they’re mostly stuff I already own, which is convienent. Hell, I have CSD3 installed right now but I’ve barely touched it since I’ve been getting used to a new keyboard, so that’ll probably be my first choice right now.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Elite dangerous, although you might need to play it for a bit before it becomes a screensaver you use to play podcasts

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Ragequit posted:

Yeah, as long as you have some kind of a strategy for your deck, i.e. blow up the enemy, spam and buff your own deck etc., then you'll do fine. I went with those dudes that set the enemy lines on fire and most battles were a breeze. As for the puzzles, I personally tried each one a couple times and if it seemed like I wouldn't get it then I just looked up the solution. They're definitely skippable though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Elite dangerous, although you might need to play it for a bit before it becomes a screensaver you use to play podcasts

According to Steam, I have 77 hours played!*

*I do not actually have 77 hours played. I booted it up this week and the .exe never actually closed out. I’ve had that happen with a few things on Steam lately, actually.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
You can steamroll every normal battle in Thronebreaker using cards you get in the first area (Arbalest and Scytheman, specifically) with only the very last fight in the game presenting a potential deckbuilding challenge.

The puzzles are actually fun, though variable in quality.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

According to Steam, I have 77 hours played!*

*I do not actually have 77 hours played. I booted it up this week and the .exe never actually closed out. I’ve had that happen with a few things on Steam lately, actually.
Elite Dangerous is tricky because it counts the time the Launcher is open, which doesn't close after you exit the game.

Podcast game is such a hard recommendation without more genres hemming it in from any possible game that uses low attention, is hypnotic, or both. But looks like it all worked out. You don't want to hear about my current podcast game, it's terrible.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

zedprime posted:

Elite Dangerous is tricky because it counts the time the Launcher is open, which doesn't close after you exit the game.

I thought it may have been the launcher but the game was showing as playing on my steam account even after I closed it. Didn’t see any .exe’s in task manager either. Had a similar thing happen with that old puzzle RPG Gyromancer a few weeks ago. I think Steam isn’t properly reading that games are being closed sometimes.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Closest podcast games to Elite Dangerous I can think of are Euro Truck Simulator and American Truck Simulator

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Fanatical has Pillars 2 Deadfire as the star deal right now, includes all the dlc stuff. 20 bucks!

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/pillars-of-eternity-ii-deadfire-obsidian-edition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Lord Lambeth posted:

I understand the concern about that ad but It doesn't make sense to me to lay judgement on it until the game actually releases.

I think it's pretty funny this is coming from the same developer who made those sex cards in Witcher 1 though. somewhat ironic?

Yeah, I also get it. At the moment, it's very much up for personal interpretation along with the statement the artist made, it'll be a matter of time till we find if it's actually decently written.