Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

4K? 720p? You be the judge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

The glare is a next-gen thing. You'll be seeing it a lot in future games, trust me.

It's all about immersion.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

hostile apostle posted:

Vast majority of usage is to download their games to their PS4, not for streaming.

So what you’re saying is that even given the option between streaming and downloading, people by and large prefer downloading? That sounds pretty bad for stadia.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad

Klyith posted:

Well, that's a strategy. But it's a real stupid one. "MILEs" are not games, they're cultural events that use the context of gaming. The things the author goes on to imagine are even less like games. Interactive TV shows are not a new idea. The TV industry has been there done that. Microsoft was thinking along these lines with Xbox TV stuff both in the 360 era and harder with the One, and it was a flop. It wasn't tech limitations that killed these ideas, it's that by and large they're dumb as hell. It's only the infinite monkeys that can create the occasional phenomena of a Twitch Plays.

Creating a cultural event that's popular is catching lightning in a bottle. Monetizing it is even harder.

The fact that Twitch exists is a counterpoint to your argument. People are regularly watching and interacting with streams. Interaction is why people come back to Twitch - and offering up more engagement depth is compelling. It's not limited to Twitch plays.

Stadia will offer the ability to jump in and play with the streamer you're watching (crowd play), or influence directly how they play (crowd choice), among other features. I think those features will be pretty interesting to see live in the wild.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

So what you’re saying is that even given the option between streaming and downloading, people by and large prefer downloading? That sounds pretty bad for stadia.

Yes, when its marketed primarily as an add-on to an existing PS4 install base.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

hostile apostle posted:

So you still need a controller, no KBM. Beyond that PS Now only supports 720P streaming - who wants to play that on their PC?
720p up-scaled locally to 1200p looks better than the stadia's less than 1080p -> up-scaled then compressed 4K -> 1200p and uses a fraction of the bandwidth too.

Of all the things wrong with the stadia, using more bandwidth for worse image quality in the paid tier is the one that seems almost deliberately designed wrong. Just send out the original frame with less compression.

hostile apostle posted:

What does it say that a competitor's add-on is thoroughly raw-dogging your product?

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 20, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

hostile apostle posted:

In what way does this affect the fact that it's available to PC users in the same manner as Stadia?

Stadia;

• Streamed games on PC
  • Requires a specific controller
  • Individual purchases from the storefront
  • Several dozen titles, most of which are indie or several years old.

PS Now;

• Streamed games on PC
  • Requires a specific controller
  • Individual purchases from the storefront
  • Option to download games to PS4 if you own one.
  • Several thousand PS4 titles available, plus PS3 titles as well.

Dualshock 4's are also recognized by Steam natively, so it's not like you're stuck only playing streamed games with one either.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

hostile apostle posted:

So you still need a controller, no KBM. Beyond that PS Now only supports 720P streaming - who wants to play that on their PC?

Every single person who wants to play a lot of PS4/PS3 titles but don't have a console? It's not the graphics and resolutions that pull people in - it's the gameplay and being able to play the games at all. There are a lot of hot titles on PSNow and I would be all over so many of them if only I could use it in this country.
Heck I'd probably even try Stadia if it was available here.

Also I will admit, Serious Sam 4 is a bold choice for Stadia. The games, despite being well received, were always niche, so their sales weren't stellar, especially at full price.
However, they are optimised to hell and back and come with a shitton of graphical options to customize. So you could "tweak the knobs and buttons" until the game plays just right on your settings. Hell you with the amout of changes that engine can do on the fly, you could probably tie the level of detail to the connection quality if you were tech-savy enough with the Stadia port.

And yet any input delay in a shooter like that would be death. It's not that the game requires you to pinpoint shots, but the games are known for it's snappy feel when it comes to guns, and making it floty will feel very off.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

hostile apostle posted:

Stadia will offer the ability to jump in and play with the streamer you're watching (crowd play), or influence directly how they play (crowd choice), among other features. I think those features will be pretty interesting to see live in the wild.

how do you expect people to believe this when you can't even stream a simple gameplay feed to youtube

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

hostile apostle posted:

How will Stadia's "crowd choice" be different than existing Twitch integrations? Are developers responsible for implementing these features, or is that done on Google's end? If developers are responsible, what's the motivation for them to work on it, considering the lack of playerbase that could lead to sales? What kind of timeframe are we looking at for these features? How many developers are on board and what games are we going to see these features in?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

hostile apostle posted:

Vast majority of usage is to download their games to their PS4, not for streaming.

Do you have evidence to support this claim?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Shumagorath posted:

Of all the things wrong with the stadia, deliberately using more bandwidth for worse image quality in the paid tier is the one that seems almost deliberately designed wrong. Just send out the original frame with less compression.

This one I have to blame the industry at large on, not just Stadia. Nobody understands that 1080p at 20Mbps looks a shitload better than 4K at 20Mbps and the industry has done nothing to dispel that illusion. People just see branding and 4K is bigger than 1080p.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Do you have evidence to support this claim?

as of about a year ago there were twice as many games downloaded as streamed

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-04-29-playstation-now-downloads-get-double-the-gameplay-time-of-streamed-games

but a third of 2.2 million is over 700k users and there's no way stadia is anywhere near even 10% of that

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

hostile apostle posted:

DS controller required

Good point but how do you emulate the touch pad and motion controls on an xinput controller? It's part of the platform requirements.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
HA a quick question:

Why is Doom (2016) still unreleased?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

hostile apostle posted:

The fact that Twitch exists is a counterpoint to your argument. People are regularly watching and interacting with streams. Interaction is why people come back to Twitch - and offering up more engagement depth is compelling. It's not limited to Twitch plays.

Games with this kind of integration are few and far between. If the new Serious Sam has this as an exclusive Stadia feature at launch, say spawning certain enemies for the streamer, this might convince a few people to join Stadia.

But a) this would have to be done at launch of the game. There is one chance to capture this fart in a bottle and it's then.
b) it would need the ability to stream Stadia gameplay anywhere. Doesn't matter if it's twitch or youtube, this needs to happen for Stadia to gain populatity for the reasons you mention.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
You need some sort of controller to play either Stadia or PS Now, right? I don't understand why that's even supposed to be a negative. A dualshock 4 is a better, more useful thing than that stadia controller in any case. In fact, you could even use it to play Stadia.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Weedle posted:

as of about a year ago there were twice as many games downloaded as streamed

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-04-29-playstation-now-downloads-get-double-the-gameplay-time-of-streamed-games

but a third of 2.2 million is over 700k users and there's no way stadia is anywhere near even 10% of that

One could read that as "given the choice, 2 out of 3 PS Now users chose not to stream their games"

Which, as a market study, is a bit telling.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

You need some sort of controller to play either Stadia or PS Now, right? I don't understand why that's even supposed to be a negative. A dualshock 4 is a better, more useful thing than that stadia controller in any case. In fact, you could even use it to play Stadia.

You can use KBM on Stadia. No controller needed.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

hostile apostle posted:

I come here to escape the echo chamber - its my focus panel of skeptics and haters. The only way for Stadia to succeed to be honest with ourselves about the state of the product and win over skeptics. I do push back some in this thread as there is a lot of bad faith posting (some folks I've blocked because its just blind rage). I also have a longer term view on what is being built, so perhaps that makes me more optimistic. I am also appreciative of the first hand perceptions and criticisms many people in this thread offer, like stinch on a few pages back - the onboarding experience for new users needs a lot of work.

I do objectively believe that what Stadia offers today is interesting for many users (no hardware needed, convenience like instant play), but its not enough. No one is fooling themselves that the state of the platform is ideal right now and work is complete - people are working their rear end off to continue to build a better platform. I do believe Stadia can broaden the audience for gaming. I do believe that Stadia, and cloud gaming generally, can offer new gaming experiences that will make interesting for MORE users. We're in the 2nd inning of cloud gaming. This opinion piece was pretty good, objective look at the potential of cloud gaming - these MILES-type features are all coming to Stadia. Just replicating Xbox and Playstation in the cloud is a recipe for failure.

Is Stadia the most compelling offering right now among its competitor set? It depends on who you are: for many no (hardcore), but for some yes (lapsed, casuals, value conscious). Will Stadia be able to differentiate itself better over time and continue to convert people? I think so.

"One of the most hotly anticipated benefits is the ability for a game to include far, far more concurrent users in the same environment or match. Today, Fortnite maxes at 100 concurrent players, with Call of Duty: Warzone peaking at 150. There are several constraints to expanding this gap (more on this later), but local processing is a key one. There’s simply a low limit to how many players (each of whom is constantly generating input and positional data) an at-home processor can track and render."

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006

VideoGames posted:

HA a quick question:

Why is Doom (2016) still unreleased?

I have no info on this.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

hostile apostle posted:

I have no info on this.

It really is weird to me. To have it on all advertising for the launch of the product for it to simply vanish, when all the while the sequel does get properly released.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the spiffing brit

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Just made a Stadia account because I was curious to see what it's like to play games in chrome.

1. You can't search the store??!! There's no search?? Google's game system doesn't have search??
2. There seem to be 0 free games. I mainly wanted to test it out and see how well it worked with my internet... to do that I'd have to shell out $60 on one of these games (why are they so expensive)
3. As soon as I saw there wasn't a single free game for testing, I tried to cancel my account. I can't figure out how to cancel. When I click "My Account" it brings me to my generic Google Account page, which has a ton of subsections, and none of them contain info on Stadia. Will literally need to reach out to customer service or something.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 20, 2020

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

hostile apostle posted:

the crowd interaction idea has existed as an option for devs on ps4 since launch and has been live in the wild. daylight came out in 2014 with it as a major feature.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

hostile apostle posted:

PS Now had more than half of the revenue of the entire Netflix-like subscription market for video games before downloading was available at all.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ha should have to unblock me to keep posting

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
lol this was what we were supposed to stay tuned for, huh.

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1263176404616785920

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Polo-Rican posted:

Just made a Stadia account because I was curious to see what it's like to play games in chrome.

1. You can't search the store??!! There's no search?? Google's game system doesn't have search??
2. There seem to be 0 free games. I mainly wanted to test it out and see how well it worked with my internet... to do that I'd have to shell out $60 on one of these games (why are they so expensive)
3. As soon as I saw there wasn't a single free game for testing, I tried to cancel my account. I can't figure out how to cancel. When I click "My Account" it brings me to my generic Google Account page, which has a ton of subsections, and none of them contain info on Stadia. Will literally need to reach out to customer service or something.

if you go to Stadia Settings > Purchases and Subscriptions i think you can do it there. also from your google pay dashboard https://pay.google.com/gp/w/u/0/home/subscriptionsandservices

pretty dumb that the big "manage your account" button in the stadia menu doesn't take you anywhere that has to do with managing your stadia account. maybe that'll be fixed by christmas

Weedle
May 31, 2006

American McGay posted:

lol this was what we were supposed to stay tuned for, huh.

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1263176404616785920

to be fair it is the highest-profile stadia exclusive to date

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
When I think of "people who used to be big into PC gaming but lost interest in it 15 years ago" I think of Serious Sam. Let's see if there's actually a market for those hiatus gamers that they've been telling us about all this time.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006

Polo-Rican posted:

If you signed up for the Pro trial, the free games are under the "Stadia Pro games" category in the store. There should be a big button on the home page that takes you straight there when you log in. If you didnt sign up for the Pro trial, theres nothing to cancel.

A lot of games are discounted if you have Pro, but a few discounts are also rolling out for non-Pro subscribers as well. Discounts are rolling, what's on discount changes over time just like it would on PS or Xbox stores. There just happens to be not much in the way of discounts at the moment (just NBA and some PUBG content).

hostile apostle fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 20, 2020

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

hostile apostle posted:

I come here to escape the echo chamber - its my focus panel of skeptics and haters. The only way for Stadia to succeed to be honest with ourselves about the state of the product and win over skeptics. I do push back some in this thread as there is a lot of bad faith posting (some folks I've blocked because its just blind rage). I also have a longer term view on what is being built, so perhaps that makes me more optimistic. I am also appreciative of the first hand perceptions and criticisms many people in this thread offer, like stinch on a few pages back - the onboarding experience for new users needs a lot of work.

I do objectively believe that what Stadia offers today is interesting for many users (no hardware needed, convenience like instant play), but its not enough. No one is fooling themselves that the state of the platform is ideal right now and work is complete - people are working their rear end off to continue to build a better platform. I do believe Stadia can broaden the audience for gaming. I do believe that Stadia, and cloud gaming generally, can offer new gaming experiences that will make interesting for MORE users. We're in the 2nd inning of cloud gaming. This opinion piece was pretty good, objective look at the potential of cloud gaming - these MILES-type features are all coming to Stadia. Just replicating Xbox and Playstation in the cloud is a recipe for failure.

Is Stadia the most compelling offering right now among its competitor set? It depends on who you are: for many no (hardcore), but for some yes (lapsed, casuals, value conscious). Will Stadia be able to differentiate itself better over time and continue to convert people? I think so.

lol this post is truly wild in the context of your bad faith, disingenuous rear end posting. Two pages removed from lying about literally every single aspect of PS Now

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

hostile apostle posted:

I come here to escape the echo chamber - its my focus panel of skeptics and haters. The only way for Stadia to succeed to be honest with ourselves about the state of the product and win over skeptics.

This is true and necessary of most new endeavors in a competitive market. It is a good and essential position to take but it is also so obvious that it shouldn't even need to be said, and yet we can't even make it through the end of that same post without wondering if any of it is in good faith.

hostile apostle posted:

Is Stadia the most compelling offering right now among its competitor set? It depends on who you are: for many no (hardcore), but for some yes (lapsed, casuals, value conscious).

Is this the general belief within Google, or is this just H.A.'s opinion? How do you square that belief with the fact that this is a unique time where lapsed and casual gamers are more inclined to get back into gaming than ever, and yet none of them seem to be flocking to Stadia? If it's not the fault of the product, then what's the alternative explanation, that it's a failure of marketing? Am I replying to an actual effort post, or am I just taking the bait again?

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out

I skim-read the article, so perhaps I missed something, but I came away with a strong sense of the prohibitive costs of cloud gaming and some rather loose/tangential plus points.

The author did a good job of summing up the infrastructure costs. They seem crazy high to me, and seem to get worse as the players get more engaged. Cloud gaming providers have to hope that they attract as many casuals as possible to pay for the games and not play them. Or to subsidise the costs in order to make money some other way I suppose. It doesn't seem like a problem that's going away anytime soon.

He also rubbished some of the stuff I thought you'd been coming out with - having a 1000 players in a game, or having Star Citizen / Peter Molyneux super-fidelity to render the ants on the leaf of a tree does not make a game any more fun.

The "MILES" stuff is really quite tangential to gaming as we're used to. Fair enough, there could be an audience for that. Again though I find it hard to see what cloud gaming brings to the table. Does a Fortnight player care that they saw the live concert in an instanced server with a few hundred players, and maybe a second of lag? I mean, does anyone care watching "live" football on their TV that the signal is really lagged by about 20 seconds behind real time? I don't think anyone would even think about this.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'm still waiting for proof that your gigabit connection takes 8 hours to download COD.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

look, i came here to escape the echo chamber. i came here for real, unfiltered thought. now PLEASE stop telling me that the stadia is not actually successful please it is very mean :(

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

you can have 1000 players in a game running on a ps4 its not a real issue

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Serious Sam 4 is exclusive for Stadia and Steam for a certain amount of time before it hits Xbox and PS consoles - so that'll have an excellent measure of people who are going to either get it for Stadia vs others.

In my opinion, I never really pinned the Serious Sam series as a console game, - it has its roots in PC gaming. The series is known for being able to scale very easily to run on older hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Stux posted:

you can have 1000 players in a game running on a ps4 its not a real issue

We had that on PCs that would be 20 years old now.