Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

I loving bought the haunted house even though I still have Barracuda Bay in my shame pile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Squashy Nipples posted:

LOVE this, a proper mash up.

I think I like the rear fenders on top better. And the little stripes on the jet engines are nice, something about that speaks Classic Space to me.

Agreed, I like to double-stripe.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
So, with the discussion of knockoff LEGO last page, I have to ask--where would one go to get the Imperial Flagship (10210, not 6271) that isn't paying over $1k for the original set?

Is this a good source?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

Agreed, I like to double-stripe.

How about I do it black and yellow to cash in on the most irritating classic space cliche of them all? :v:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Blacktron is classic, not cliche

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes, blacktron is awesome. I'm talking about the bumblebee stripes that everyone tries to sneak into their classic builds.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Apollodorus posted:

So, with the discussion of knockoff LEGO last page, I have to ask--where would one go to get the Imperial Flagship (10210, not 6271) that isn't paying over $1k for the original set?

Is this a good source?

I've bought stuff off aliexpress.com. Shipping takes ages, but other than that, I've been happy with it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

xzzy posted:

Yes, blacktron is awesome. I'm talking about the bumblebee stripes that everyone tries to sneak into their classic builds.

Yuck. Maybe for a construction or mining/refinery vessel...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Promise not to repost every stupid color change that pops into my head, but I do think more stuff should be done with the black and yellow look. Blacktron II is cool, but OG Blacktron is BEST. :colbert:

(some of this isn't possible, there's a few pieces in colors that don't exist, most notably the wheels)

Even though working in black is really loving hard, it's impossible to see any detail. I had to build everything in grey, select by color, then swap to black to render.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Apollodorus posted:

Is this a good source?

Nope, I’ve been burned there. Same with ali express, most listings are aspirational and don’t actually post what’s in inventory, which is a problem with sets like that which haven’t been manufactured in awhile. They will sit on your order, possibly for months because they’re unable to get it themselves and you’ll have to fight for a refund and drag out the process with fake tracking numbers, or they’ll substitute it with a shittier brand like lele or bela. Not a big fan of either platform. Plus you’re paying separately for shipping there, which brings their prices over most other places. Lepin as a brand is dead, after the raid last year the remnants were rebranded as King/Queen. Gobricks also makes high quality bricks for Mould King & Sembo/SY among others.

This is where I bought mine in December, as well as most of my other retired bootlego bricks. They keep good track of their inventory, take PayPal, are responsive on email, and typically ship fast (~12 days to US, though YMMV as international flights are dead and shipping shot up 50% recently).

Hope that helps!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

xzzy posted:

Promise not to repost every stupid color change that pops into my head, but I do think more stuff should be done with the black and yellow look. Blacktron II is cool, but OG Blacktron is BEST. :colbert:

(some of this isn't possible, there's a few pieces in colors that don't exist, most notably the wheels)

Even though working in black is really loving hard, it's impossible to see any detail. I had to build everything in grey, select by color, then swap to black to render.

Now do a submersible Aquanauts-themed version!

Edit: Ahhh I remember this fucker:

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 20, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poS9QqFSTuo

The starter kit is 60 dollars and there are powerup packs that are just costumes for mario and change what happens when you wave him around and bump him on things. This just makes less and less sense to me the more that comes out about it.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
And yet it sold out in 5 seconds.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

xzzy posted:

This is giving me incredible Batman vibes.

I went guessing, with Bricklink. If your wheels are 18mm diameter, like I'm guesstimating based on plate height, maybe these ones could work in yellow?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Cojawfee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poS9QqFSTuo

The starter kit is 60 dollars and there are powerup packs that are just costumes for mario and change what happens when you wave him around and bump him on things. This just makes less and less sense to me the more that comes out about it.

It still looks like it will be a failure of a line. Especially, when parents see the prices on the shelf next to other sets.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I don’t think it’ll be Gallidor-level failure, but I also don’t think it’s going to do great either.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I think they will sell like hotcakes but not a single Lego fan will buy one

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I think they will sell like hotcakes but not a single Lego fan will buy one

Ya. Video game memorabilia collectors, and esp Nintendo collectors, are an entirely different beast compared to even ardent AFOLs.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

OSU_Matthew posted:

This is where I bought mine in December, as well as most of my other retired bootlego bricks. They keep good track of their inventory, take PayPal, are responsive on email, and typically ship fast (~12 days to US, though YMMV as international flights are dead and shipping shot up 50% recently).

Unavailable there, sadly.

Oh well. Whenever the Pirates Ideas set is back in stock that'll probably sate my desire for a LEGO sailing ship.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

TheMadMilkman posted:

Ya. Video game memorabilia collectors, and esp Nintendo collectors, are an entirely different beast compared to even ardent AFOLs.

I appreciate that this isn’t a fairly cynical cash grab from collectors and AFOLs. If they wanted to do that, they could have just sold an 8-bit Mario for Star Wars-esque prices and print money.

Did they overcorrect? Maybe. But there might be a market there. Packaging lists ages as 6+ (though I suspect once built, could be played with by 4+, fitting it fairly comfortably in their Juniors demo), and a $60 price point matches it with a first-party Nintendo game, but Lego is a far more acceptable, social gift to give a kid in this age range (you could imagine a grandparent buying this because they didn’t know if their grandchild had access to a Switch to play Odyssey, or if they wanted to play with it together). It also opens a playable Mario experience to a demo that might not be able to afford a Switch, but could afford the set, and to those kids who might be restricted from playing video games.

One thing I really appreciate - the packaging on the power up packs is very clear that you do not get the Mario figure. The primary image does not show it, and the secondary image shows the figure faded out. This should hopefully prevent anyone from buying it believing it contains the figure, though it does make for a very unusual set in this age range in that it requires another to function.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Blue Moonlight posted:

I appreciate that this isn’t a fairly cynical cash grab from collectors and AFOLs. If they wanted to do that, they could have just sold an 8-bit Mario for Star Wars-esque prices and print money.

ya, they could have done minifig blind bags at an even higher price and they would have flown off the shelf.

I want to see these in person. Part of me wants a few of the characters(Bowser), but I want to see them in person first.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Managed to snag one a used Haunted Mansion set (complete) on eBay for $322. I'm stoked to finally build and display this drat thing with all of my other spooky poo poo. Thinking about getting that lighting kit for it as well. I've been eyefucking eBay listings since getting back into LEGO and I'm glad to finally have it.

Now I need a Norman Bates minifig and a Mother to put in the window.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The mario things are certainly an interesting idea from a kid's toy perspective, and I think they actually do look pretty nice for what they are. They don't look poorly designed or anything. But they stray so far from the basics of the whole Lego ecosystem it makes them pretty off putting and I'm not surprised people hate them. I don't like them either

This is only exacerbated by Nintendo having a big appeal to a lot of adults as well as kids. I think a lot of people who didn't pan out to be the target market were excited about it and were disappointed that it ended up being some oddball thing instead of just like, normal Lego themed Mario sets. If it was a theme that only appealed to kids it probably would have received less of a mixed/negative reaction.

I just hope they don't go the same route if they end up making Zelda sets.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think Zelda translates better than Mario.

Platformer vs set pieces/puzzles. They've basically made Zelda sets for years. Castles, Indiana Jones, some western sets, and so on.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

True. They definitely could have just made a mario castle with a bunch of normal minifigures and locked in the nerd crowd pretty easily though. The approach they took was pretty weird, but I sort of get it too. Not that I think it was good. But it wasn't aimed at me so whatever. TBH I love Mario but the idea of Mario sets isn't that exciting anyways.

I would have gone to town on a Mario CMF series though.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
:same:

Though, I already have the amiibo and most of the furuta figures so I don't really need Lego Mario poo poo. Oh, and the WoN stuff, at least up to a point. So I am set for Mario figs.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Legend of Zelda legos seems like it would sell itself so easily. Deku tree, all the temples, and then a UCS Hyrule Castle.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Brand new theme revealed: Brick Sketches!

https://brickset.com/article/51499/brand-new-theme-revealed-brick-sketches!

https://brickset.com/article/51500/review-40428-the-joker

Guys, it is no secret that I am an enormous Chris McVeigh fan. I have 4 of his MOCs proudly displayed on my shelf, including one of his originals that was on display at the LEGO House (easily the crown jewel of my LEGO collection). I have been extremely excited to see what he's been working on now that he works for LEGO, and it's cool that they took one of his MOC ideas and made a whole drat theme out of it. Pretty neat stuff.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The Mario sets are definitely a Nintendo product made in Lego factories more than a Lego product with a Nintendo licence. I'm not really going to judge them as Lego sets because that's not really what they're designed to be.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah this smells more like one of Nintendo's crazy future-thinking ideas than something Lego would come up with. They just replaced the cardboard boxes with lego bricks.

Fortunately for Nintendo their crazy ideas work out for them more than they don't so maybe it'll do fine.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
And regardless, the value of Nintendo stuff and Lego over time generally goes up, so it's probably worth picking some of them up to sell to collectors later, assuming the sets don't completely flood the market.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Carbohydrates posted:

Brand new theme revealed: Brick Sketches!

https://brickset.com/article/51499/brand-new-theme-revealed-brick-sketches!

https://brickset.com/article/51500/review-40428-the-joker

Guys, it is no secret that I am an enormous Chris McVeigh fan. I have 4 of his MOCs proudly displayed on my shelf, including one of his originals that was on display at the LEGO House (easily the crown jewel of my LEGO collection). I have been extremely excited to see what he's been working on now that he works for LEGO, and it's cool that they took one of his MOC ideas and made a whole drat theme out of it. Pretty neat stuff.

these are brilliant.

I want that Skeletor.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Fuckin' finally got these parts. Had an order from Lithuania take waaaaay too long. 1973 Buick Gran Sport!

Thanks to Nth Doctor, I have this thing sitting next to me, and... it is in strong contention for perhaps being my favorite car that I've made? I am just so excited about how it came out. It makes me very happy. Have some pics!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Oh man the lines on that thing own. That’s fantastic.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Captain Invictus posted:

these are brilliant.

I want that Skeletor.

I'd get... R2-D2, K-2SO, Kylo Ren, Deadpool, Antman, Starlord, Vision, all the stormtroopers, Groot, Rocket Raccoon, Cpt. A, Spiderman, Skeletor, Jawa, Batman, Wolverine, Chewie, Iron Man, Cookie Monster, Pikachu, Bender, Optimus Prime, the other R2-D2, and Boba Fett.

Hmm, better start saving.

edit: and Santa, Cobra Commander, and the dog

uXs fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 21, 2020

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That build owns all but it still makes me wish they'd make tile versions of all wedges.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Carbohydrates posted:

Fuckin' finally got these parts. Had an order from Lithuania take waaaaay too long. 1973 Buick Gran Sport!

Thanks to Nth Doctor, I have this thing sitting next to me, and... it is in strong contention for perhaps being my favorite car that I've made? I am just so excited about how it came out. It makes me very happy. Have some pics!

Those curves are just killer!

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Carbohydrates posted:

:hfive: thank you for sharing your art with us. This looks awesome!

In my own bricklink news: the last shipment I need for my Efferman stand should be arriving today. Also Lord Business. :peanut:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

https://i.imgur.com/jMc3JT0.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

VaultAggie posted:

Legend of Zelda legos seems like it would sell itself so easily. Deku tree, all the temples, and then a UCS Hyrule Castle.

Give me a $500 USC Clocktown.