Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
They should have just written her out. Make the gap between films longer, say she never fully recovered from her injuries in TLJ and died between films, and actually have Poe leading the resistance since that’s the obvious continuation of his arc from TLJ. Then do ghost Leia at the end to eulogize her if you must and any appearance weirdness can be hidden somewhat by that blue filter and the transparency. Yeah that’s not the most satisfying ending for the character, but it’s better than having Rey awkwardly talk around what was obviously only 30 seconds of usable leftover Leia dialogue and then having her gently caress off mid-conversation to go lay down and die for no reason.

But, you know, all of that would have required a writer and director who actually gave a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Rochallor posted:

I can see a solid tech demo being released, maybe a bit part in a movie, but... Tarkin in Rogue One was painful to look at. Subtle digital deaging is here to stay and only getting better, but complete reanimation (pardon the pun) seems a lot further off. The 2029 movie starring John Wayne, Marlon Brando, and Judy Garland is going to make The Polar Express look natural and realistic.

The Tarkin one, i think, is much more glaring because the voice is so incredibly wrong. Cushing had a great voice, and Cushing as Tarkin had a very distinctive voice, and Rogue One's take is nowhere near, which surprised me. There's got to be so much recording of Cushing over the number of films he did that you'd sort of just be able to paste it together from pre-existing recordings. As it is, Stephen Fry's imitation of him on QI was legit better.

Detective No. 27 posted:

When watching RoS, in my head, when she walked away from everyone, I jokingly thought "well, I'm gonna go lay down and die now." And then she did.

I was working really hard not to laugh in that sequence. How did we get something a thousand times less convincing than Oliver Reed twenty years ago?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Big Mean Jerk posted:

They should have just written her out. Make the gap between films longer, say she never fully recovered from her injuries in TLJ and died between films, and actually have Poe leading the resistance since that’s the obvious continuation of his arc from TLJ. Then do ghost Leia at the end to eulogize her if you must and any appearance weirdness can be hidden somewhat by that blue filter and the transparency. Yeah that’s not the most satisfying ending for the character, but it’s better than having Rey awkwardly talk around what was obviously only 30 seconds of usable leftover Leia dialogue and then having her gently caress off mid-conversation to go lay down and die for no reason.

But, you know, all of that would have required a writer and director who actually gave a poo poo.

If you forced me to have Leia in the final movie I'd establish her as having died between films, and then have some unearthed holo conversation between Han and Leia play some significant role in convincing Kylo Ren to switch sides. You can bring in Harrison Ford since he's still alive, and the wackiness of the Carrie Fisher deleted scenes can be obscured by slapping a blue VHS filter over it. What they did to her in TROS is really gross even by the standards of what they've done to her over the years.

Snowman_McK posted:

The Tarkin one, i think, is much more glaring because the voice is so incredibly wrong. Cushing had a great voice, and Cushing as Tarkin had a very distinctive voice, and Rogue One's take is nowhere near, which surprised me. There's got to be so much recording of Cushing over the number of films he did that you'd sort of just be able to paste it together from pre-existing recordings. As it is, Stephen Fry's imitation of him on QI was legit better.

This is it, too. The voice is totally off. Also, at first they were keeping Tarkin in shadow, then they decided to showboat by having him in direct lighting and everybody went, "Oh no."

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

They had the perfect opportunity to kill off her character in the Last Jedi too.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/screenrant/status/1262608442809815041?s=20

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1262429487582543878?s=20

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 06:23 on May 19, 2020

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

They had the perfect opportunity to kill off her character in the Last Jedi too.

Principal photography wrapped five months before Fisher died. And even if it hadn’t, I can’t really blame Rian Johnson for not wanting to hastily edit her scenes down and write her off in reshoots so soon after Carrie’s death, especially since they’d grown close during production. It’s 100% on Terrio, Abrams, and co. for not coming up with something better than what we ultimately got.

Her TROS scenes are just so loving flimsy. It’s the Star Wars equivalent of the Bela Lugosi footage in Plan 9 from Outer Space. It’s gross and almost completely disconnected from everything around it and it would have been so much better and more dignified to just let her excellent TLJ performance stand as her last real appearance in the franchise and just move on from the character in TROS.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I still think they should have gone the Fast and Furious 7 route and have the character live in-universe and peace out.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

*Leia and Luke pull up to each other in repulsorcrafts aka podracers*

"Race you?"

♫ It's been a long day without you, my friend
♫ And I'll tell you all about it when I see you again
♫ We've come a long way from where we began
♫ Oh I'll tell you all about it when I see you again
♫ When I see you again

♫ How could we not talk about family when family's all that we got?
♫ Everything I went through you were standing there by my side
♫ And now you gonna be with me for the last ride

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

This was the only thing in my mind every time Leia showed up in RoS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U58IdBjMeS4

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I don’t see why Star Wars fans were so opposed to the idea of a time skip for Episode 9. It would have been a perfect answer.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Imagined being memorialised by the franchise that you're mostly remembered for wearing a metal bikini in.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Rochallor posted:

Technology is constantly improving, but of the few big instances I can think of--younger RDJ in Iron Man, Peter Cushing in Rogue One, and horrific approximation of Robert de Nero in The Irishman--only RDJ isn't terrifying. And in that case they're trying to make a 50 year old look 20, which is a lot easier, I expect, than 70 to 20. And apparently movies have been doing similar deaging to actors for a while now.

I can see a solid tech demo being released, maybe a bit part in a movie, but... Tarkin in Rogue One was painful to look at. Subtle digital deaging is here to stay and only getting better, but complete reanimation (pardon the pun) seems a lot further off. The 2029 movie starring John Wayne, Marlon Brando, and Judy Garland is going to make The Polar Express look natural and realistic.

Maybe I'm wrong but wasn't RDJ mainly just splicing in footage of him from the 80s instead of an overlay like the others?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Maybe I'm wrong but wasn't RDJ mainly just splicing in footage of him from the 80s instead of an overlay like the others?

No, they used reference footage from the '80s but he was absolutely a CGI de-age.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

That RDJ was the first de-age that passed the bar for me.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

yall forgetting kurt russell

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Pirate Jet posted:

I don’t see why Star Wars fans were so opposed to the idea of a time skip for Episode 9. It would have been a perfect answer.

Star Wars movies are loving awful at handling the passing of time, and Star Wars fans are loving awful at interpreting the clues given to them about the passing of time. With a time skip that long, imagine the arguments over how long Luke actually trained with Yoda in ESB, or how many minutes actually passed between the end of TFA and TLJ, cranked up to 11.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

That information was a lot more interesting for the half second I thought it was being written by James Vanderbeek and Gary Busey.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

ChickenMedium posted:

That information was a lot more interesting for the half second I thought it was being written by James Vanderbeek and Gary Busey.

I need to watch such a film.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Gary Busey chewing up the scenes, victims

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The Scream movies have been useless for a while, but I really didn't expect them to continue after Craven's death, especially with the TV series still(?) going.

Also, I haven't seen a Star Wars movie since Episode II, but I did see a gif recently from Revenge of the Skywalkers and it looked like Leia was just floating across the room and it reminded me of that scene in Evil Dead II when Evil Ed just floats over to the main actress to eat her hair.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

I liked the original so I had to check this out. I'm 10 minutes in and it's a loving awful musical. Apparently this was supposed to be released in 2018. I don't know if it was finished and sat on a shelf or delayed. I suspect either way, they figured to dump it during the pandemic to make a few bucks from anyone desperate enough for content. It's so bad I don't even think Nicolas Cage would have cameo'd anyway.

edit: I had to turn it off. An actress started a terrible cover of Girls Just Wanna Have Fun and I almost had an aneurysm.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

The Scream movies have been useless for a while, but I really didn't expect them to continue after Craven's death, especially with the TV series still(?) going.

Also, I haven't seen a Star Wars movie since Episode II, but I did see a gif recently from Revenge of the Skywalkers and it looked like Leia was just floating across the room and it reminded me of that scene in Evil Dead II when Evil Ed just floats over to the main actress to eat her hair.
The 4th one was real bad

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

FlamingLiberal posted:

The 4th one was real bad

I didn’t bother because the third one was real bad.

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
The 4th one is at least 5 to 10 times better than 3.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It depends on what you prefer. The third one leaned more on comedy-horror and is very dated now, but the 4th one took the whole thing very seriously

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The third one had to constantly remind you that, in addition to their characters being in a relationship in the series, David Arquette and Courtney Cox are married in real life.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

David Arquette and Courtney Cox are married in real life.

Were. They split several years ago.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Timby posted:

Were. They split several years ago.

I know that, but they were married at the time of Scream 3, you obtuse slice of dingleberry pie.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Movie is going to have less blood than his last wrestling match.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Not knowing much about his wrestling matches, I'm not sure if that's an indictment of the film, his wrestling or both

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tom Hanks' WWII movie, Greyhound is skipping a theatrical release and will instead premiere on Apple TV+

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I liked the first two seasons of the TV series. The third was poo poo, though. I'm not saying the first two would be shifting any paradigms, but they were fun enough for what they were.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

marshmallow creep posted:

Not knowing much about his wrestling matches, I'm not sure if that's an indictment of the film, his wrestling or both

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

He was absolutely blading.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I respect his drive to redeem himself, but at the same time, I'm a little worried he's gonna be typecast in his late fifties as The Guy Who's Seen Some poo poo because his forehead will look like raw hamburger.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Works for Mickey Rourke?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

He was absolutely blading.

Nah, he got cut legit in his forehead by another wrestler with a light tube during a deathmatch. Part of the way through it he freaked out and began struggling while being cut which made things way worse. You can see in the posted picture where the light tube slipped and cut into his neck as he struggled. It was a pretty bad injury.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Arquette v. Nick Gage is a must watch.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Let's loving goooooooo

https://twitter.com/hbomax/status/1263169877847625728

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

To add to that:
https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1263171731801419781

Someone must be really desperate to spend 30 million for all this.