Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

Wfh till aug at least. The leadership is desperately trying to make it seem like this is very sad. “The CEO will be the first person back at the office!”

our ceo is being super "this will take a while, everyone be patient" but it seems like there's some employees who really want out of the house. it was mentioned that one option was individual teams getting a "shift" of a couple weeks and rotating so everyone doesn't expose everyone else at once

it's obviously not even possible until childcare/school options are available

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i'm looking forward to being back in the office

i hate how lovely modern offices are but the pros still outweigh the cons for me

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Im super cool with it but i do support across offices in three timezones and a bunch of already remote people

i do miss the good mexican places by the office. dont miss the 30 minute commute.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

Im super cool with it but i do support across offices in three timezones and a bunch of already remote people

i do miss the good mexican places by the office. dont miss the 30 minute commute.

i'm pretty happy with being able to slough out of bed, turn on slack on the bad screen, and walla, i'm checked in at work at 7:45am

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

i wonder if I can never go back to the office again.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
c wfh s: logitech trackball that i had for three months died yesterday. hope they give me a refund or something. already went and bought a replacement because daddy needs his ergo pointing device.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

DuckConference posted:

i wonder if I can never go back to the office again.

i'm absolutely not going back to the office until 2021 at the earliest

it's gonna suck cause i have a 4 year old at home but gently caress going outside in this hell world

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

yeah our ceo has been congratulating the engineering team for keeping productivity up despite what's going on while simultaneously being all, 'ok just because you don't have anywhere to go doesn't mean you shouldn't be using your pto please please please unplug whenever you can'

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

qirex posted:

it's obviously not even possible until childcare/school options are available

my boss doesn't seem to realize this, probably because he is rich enough to have a stay at home wife for his three kids

not that we particularly need to be in the office for what we do, beyond like printing stuff i guess. digitally redlining plans has been a widespread thing for over a decade now

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
also goddamn am i glad i haven't jumped ship over to the public sector yet - the governor just announced that all state employees are taking a 10% pay cut

quote:

He said the pay reduction applies to him and his staff. The cut applies to all state workers, including those in health care and public safety, Finance Director Keely Bosler said.

Pay raises many state workers were scheduled to receive in July also seem to be off the table, since the proposal calls for reducing pay by 10 percent as of June.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

:stare:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
bone ape the teeth

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

ShadowHawk posted:

manbun discussion itt

it’s just a bun, there is no need to gender the bun.

:colbert: i will die on this hill

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

PIZZA.BAT posted:

yeah our ceo has been congratulating the engineering team for keeping productivity up despite what's going on while simultaneously being all, 'ok just because you don't have anywhere to go doesn't mean you shouldn't be using your pto please please please unplug whenever you can'

that rules

i'm taking this friday off, give myself another 4 day weekend to help break the weeks up a bit. took some time off a few weeks ago but was largely unsuccessful at disengaging from hellworld and relaxing, anxiety was off the fuckin' charts.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

i have long hair for the first time in my life now and i cannot figure out how to even fuckin' do it

long hair is such a pain in the rear end but i guess i'm glad i don't need to give a poo poo about haircuts for a long time

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

topknot is also an acceptable term.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Midjack posted:

topknot is also an acceptable term.

not really, buns and topknots are two different things

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

https://twitter.com/samoyedcore/status/1244034740530728960?s=21

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

also goddamn am i glad i haven't jumped ship over to the public sector yet - the governor just announced that all state employees are taking a 10% pay cut

yes, it will save the state 2 billion dollars

remind me again how much apple has skipped out on in state taxes

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

there's a lot of overlap and in my environment half the hair that gets called a man bun is closer to a topknot so i go with that.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol

reminds me of the time that motorola had a lovely year and they said that they were _fairly_ cutting bonuses 60% across the board, so the ceo went from 2.5 mill to a paltry 1mill and i went from 2000 to 800 bucks

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Jonny 290 posted:

lol

reminds me of the time that motorola had a lovely year and they said that they were _fairly_ cutting bonuses 60% across the board, so the ceo went from 2.5 mill to a paltry 1mill and i went from 2000 to 800 bucks

at the public school i work, the union negotiated for 3 years to get us a 2% raise. meanwhile, the university president hinted that they may be moving on and immediately got a 50% bump

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

lol

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
my hair is shaggy af and the overall effect combined with my facial hair/sideburns can best be described as “marc maron when he is not filming anything”

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
im really mad that big floppy mohawks came back into fashion while i was too bald to actually have one

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

rotor posted:

im really mad that big floppy mohawks came back into fashion while i was too bald to actually have one

avoiding looking like the woops my anarchy symbol guy is a good thing imo

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

we have still not been told about any plans on returning other than they're "working on it" and it will probably be in "phases"

the city is still stay at home until june 8 at the earliest, and the mayor has released a specific plan on how they intend to start reopening and has put together committees in all the business sectors and such, so it remains to be seen when we can even start thinking about it.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Our current plan is that we are all work from home indefinitely unless you have a specific reason to be at the office, which I do occasionally. I guess the laser lab I built is also just my personal office now as well? That way I can work without a mask since no one else will be in there. A few of my friends are considering moving to Honolulu though because their job in SF is going to be wfh forever and they would rather live here and pay less in rent.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

yes, it will save the state 2 billion dollars

remind me again how much apple has skipped out on in state taxes

or disney

here's a thing that says tech companies alone are skipping out on $100bil

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i got one of these https://workfromhomedesks.com/. it looks quite nicely made. gotta put it together tonight, looks easy

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i got one of these https://workfromhomedesks.com/. it looks quite nicely made. gotta put it together tonight, looks easy

post trip report
specifically the feasibility of adjusting the height while using it. that doesn’t look possible from the pictures

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Stereotype posted:

Our current plan is that we are all work from home indefinitely unless you have a specific reason to be at the office, which I do occasionally. I guess the laser lab I built is also just my personal office now as well? That way I can work without a mask since no one else will be in there. A few of my friends are considering moving to Honolulu though because their job in SF is going to be wfh forever and they would rather live here and pay less in rent.

I’m currently trying to convince my wife that if I go forever wfh then we should do this

the only catch is that at my current job Standup is at 10a EST which is what, 4 or 5a in Hawaii?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I’m currently trying to convince my wife that if I go forever wfh then we should do this

the only catch is that at my current job Standup is at 10a EST which is what, 4 or 5a in Hawaii?

Yeah, lots of people are super early birds here because of that exact reason. The time difference is actually very obnoxious.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

once you get used to it, waking up before the sunrise is nice

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Yeah it's also just the nicest time to be up here, since the low 70s in the morning is so much nicer than the high 80s in the daytime and afternoon.

Lots of sunrise crew surfers out on the water

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Stereotype posted:

I am also considering this, but time zones would destroy me.

e:fb

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I got married this Christmas in Tahiti and while I was over there I had a remote offer and like a dummy didn’t take it.

As we were heading back me and the misses looked at Hawaii was the fallback option because Tahitian visas looked like a PITA. I was worried that the market was gonna be too tied to defense contractor work, and that if I lost my remote job I’d be screwed.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

my job also announced majority wfh until there's a vaccine essentially. they might do a soft opening of the office with <20 people there i guess but i definitely wont be one of them

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Stereotype posted:

Yeah it's also just the nicest time to be up here, since the low 70s in the morning is so much nicer than the high 80s in the daytime and afternoon.

Lots of sunrise crew surfers out on the water

also fishing

and it prepares your body for when you have a babby in the house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

we knew it was coming -- arnold crossed that rubicon in 2009 and they know it's something they can always go back to

it'll most likely take the form of furloughs 2 days a month, which... okay i've been doing that voluntarily for years because extra days off are cool so it won't affect me at all but i realize i'm speaking from privilege and good fortune here

also i worked until 2:30 last night and I just woke up lol