Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

MarcusSA posted:

I really don't see the need for the camera. I'd be happy just to view stuff.

I agree, and like you am a sucker and will have a hard time resisting plunking down for the Gen 1, despite my proclamations. I'm sure on the day before the release date I'll say it's a waste to just get notifications in my FOV. Then I'll watch the keynote and pre-order like an idiot when one killer feature is announced.

The camera brings a whole other element into our society. Not looking forward to "The Entire History of You" being born into reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I’m looking into getting a dash cam for my car, but a camera on the glass would be a better option. There’s gonna come a time where it’s more accepted in society, for better or worse.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

TraderStav posted:

I agree, and like you am a sucker and will have a hard time resisting plunking down for the Gen 1, despite my proclamations. I'm sure on the day before the release date I'll say it's a waste to just get notifications in my FOV. Then I'll watch the keynote and pre-order like an idiot when one killer feature is announced.

The camera brings a whole other element into our society. Not looking forward to "The Entire History of You" being born into reality.

We all thought 1984 would be forced upon us.
We never imagined we'd step into it willingly.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I spent multiple thousands of dollars specifically to not wear glasses, I'm definitely not getting these.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Is there any way at all to get the iPhone 8 to play every song on a playlist once and once ONLY until the entire list has been completed? Any way at all? Because right now, some songs are getting played about 10 times per one time for certain other songs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Is there any way at all to get the iPhone 8 to play every song on a playlist once and once ONLY until the entire list has been completed? Any way at all? Because right now, some songs are getting played about 10 times per one time for certain other songs.

Nope, Apple's shuffle isn't actually a true shuffle, it thinks it's being smart and clever. If you shuffle a playlist it picks a finite number of songs with a bias towards stuff it thinks is "similar" or you like a lot.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
If you have any other music apps try starting a shuffle with one of those. I've found that if a playlist kicks off outside of the actual Music app, shuffle behaves more like you expect it to.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

TraderStav posted:

I think people freaked out about Google Glass because of the camera on it. I can see that being a cultural issue having a live camera all the time. At least with recording with your phone it's very overt.

Not having a camera may be the thing to get it into the mainstream and then backdoor it later.

They had a problem with a camera recording in public that was built by the world's largest advertising and data harvesting company.

If any large tech company could pull this off without having the stigma of "We will use this to sell more ads to you" then it's Apple.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Algorithms on a system that's supposed to be random. :wtc:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

yeah it's stupid. spotify does it too but it's never good, it just ends up playing the same few dozen songs from my list of 500+ liked songs

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I always wondered by Apple's "shuffle all" seems to give me multiple songs from the same album so often.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

xzzy posted:

Nope, Apple's shuffle isn't actually a true shuffle, it thinks it's being smart and clever. If you shuffle a playlist it picks a finite number of songs with a bias towards stuff it thinks is "similar" or you like a lot.

Isn't there some way you can create a playlist with the desired songs, then have a smart playlist pull from that one that only plays songs it hasn't played in the past 365 days or something ridiculously long like that?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
BRB, gonna write my own RNG script in iTunes.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Minidust posted:

If you have any other music apps try starting a shuffle with one of those. I've found that if a playlist kicks off outside of the actual Music app, shuffle behaves more like you expect it to.

I was going to say this makes no sense, but am second guessing myself. Shuffle in Google Music on android does like a normal, good job shuffling, but on iOS doesn’t. So I don’t know what to think, but it at least maybe could be an iOS thing and not an app thing.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

i think itunes just grabs 300 songs and creates a playlist.

any time the phones memory gets smashed and itunes gets pumped out of memory (games, youtube), you lose the place in the playlist and it recompiles it (say, when you get into your car and it connects to Bluetooth)

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

I'm curious what sorts of problems they hope to solve with these glasses sans camera. I see a lot of potential in this kind of tech, and thought people came down too hard on Google for the camera thing even.

But setting aside the creep factor, it seems like many of the big-ticket things I could think of for this sort of tech like:

-recognizing faces so I can stop forgetting everyones name in a large meeting
-real time translation

would require a camera?

If they want me to wear $500 glasses so that I just see additional ad information when staring at a billboard then they need to pay me to wear the glasses :-)

The face recognition thing would be very helpful to me, especially since I have a really hard time remembering names.

I wouldn't be surprised though if they'd end up more like the latest Snapchat Spectacles 3 than anything, with 3d photos and a VR viewer case being the main thing, along with on screen notifications. I dunno I probably would've considered eventually getting google glass had that filtered down since I'm prone to buying any stupid piece of tech eventually that floats around long enough.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Mister Facetious posted:

It's literally called Smart Shuffle.

withak posted:

I always wondered by Apple's "shuffle all" seems to give me multiple songs from the same album so often.

This is most likely the result of having a grouping assigned in your song metadata.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Looking at the new SE it seems surprisingly not that much more impressive than the original. Are you mostly paying for the new chip, or am I missing something else?

I was still perfectly happy with my old SE, but I just smashed the screen recently.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Looking at the new SE it seems surprisingly not that much more impressive than the original. Are you mostly paying for the new chip, or am I missing something else?

I was still perfectly happy with my old SE, but I just smashed the screen recently.

New chip and you’ll for sure get updates for longer than the 2016 model will get.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Rinkles posted:

I upgraded from an 8 and I’m quite satisfied with it. It’s much faster and the portrait camera with faster autofocus is awesome. Upgrading from an original SE to this new one would be a huge jump in pretty much every way, unless you absolutely hate the bigger size.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 20, 2020

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

I dunno I never had an issue with it the entire time I had it.

Yeah it wasn't the fastest thing but it worked great for runs / workouts and looking at messages.

:shrug:

I had 0 complaints with it.

I’m mostly being facetious. I “only” had one complaint, but that complaint was that it didn’t do anything else well other than the two things you mentioned and cost more than other watches/trackers.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Thought I saw somebody mentioning Winamp and shuffle but now I can't find the post. Anyway if my memory isn't faulty (this is more than 20 years ago) they made tons of revisions to the shuffle code in each version. If I could find a version history I would see if my memory is right. Somehow it's hard to make a good shuffle.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

I upgraded from an 8 and I’m quite satisfied with it. It’s much faster and the portrait camera with faster autofocus is awesome. Upgrading from an original SE to this new one would be a huge jump in pretty much every way, unless you absolutely hate the bigger size.

Yeah, it’s a pretty massive upgrade from og SE. Highly recommended.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

nthing that the move from OG SE to the new one is pretty great. Everything runs smooth as butter, with no frills I don't really need, and the $250 price was right (Wal-Mart promo price). The better camera will actually make a difference in my job when it comes to documenting technical info. Only thing that isn't great is that I'm still getting used to the slightly adjusted keyboard and typo more than I'd like.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

~Coxy posted:

It's literally called Smart Shuffle.

:thunk:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Ugh, rumors suggest that Apple will stop bundling EarPods with the iPhone 12, necessitating either a $30 purchase of the wired EarPods or at least Airpods / Pro.

drat you Tim :argh:

When are those Powerbeats Pro 2 coming out, I need that racing car red so I can make people think I'm bleeding out of my eardrums.

Edit: If Apple Grass requires the pow-pow-power of an A14 like in the 12, I'm tossing my 11 into the ocean, to join the battery battalion.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 20, 2020

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Binary Badger posted:

Ugh, rumors suggest that Apple will stop bundling EarPods with the iPhone 12, necessitating either a $30 purchase of the wired EarPods or at least Airpods / Pro.

drat you Tim :argh:

When are those Powerbeats Pro 2 coming out, I need that racing car red so I can make people think I'm bleeding out of my eardrums.

Edit: If Apple Grass requires the pow-pow-power of an A14 like in the 12, I'm tossing my 11 into the ocean, to join the battery battalion.

I have a drawer full of unopened earpods, so I don't have an issue with that. I'm guessing a large percentage of EarPods bundled with phones just go straight in the trash or are otherwise never used.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

I gave mine away to people who wanted earbuds, so the lightning ones were always useless. Not including the lightning -> 3.5mm adaptor anymore is a much graver sin IMHO.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I have a drawer full of unopened earpods, so I don't have an issue with that. I'm guessing a large percentage of EarPods bundled with phones just go straight in the trash or are otherwise never used.

yeah but they also gently caress up a lot so it's nice to have extras. i might be the only person on earth who actually likes using wired earpods though

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Good, I don't want the things, so less e-waste for me to have to deal with.

Stop shipping chargers, for that matter. (Keep the cables because I actually use those.)

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Horace posted:

Not including the lightning -> 3.5mm adaptor anymore is a much graver sin IMHO.

Yeah, it really feels like if they want to stop bundling the EarPods, thats fine. But then they need to start bundling these things.

But the reality is that this is just Apple saying “sorry folks, the wired era is over. Bluetooth or gtfo” just like they did with removing optical drives back in the day

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This comes with a $30 drop in price of the phone too, right? :v:

I do wish they'd offer a bare bones packaging option. No wires, no charger, no high quality box, just give me the phone in a cheap padded sleeve because phones are already incredibly wasteful devices, might as well reduce the waste where they can.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

at least they don't package everything in lovely clear plastic anymore

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Soul Glo posted:

On a two month old iPhone 11 Pro:

This week Google Maps has been giving me trouble in terms of accurately tracking my position for a few minutes at a time a couple times a day but today no GPS app is able to track me right.

I’m a courier and use RoadWarrior to plot my routes and use Maps or Google Maps to navigate, and this is really frustrating. The phone still finds me on a map accurately every time I pull up a map app, but the app won’t update in real time as I drive. It’ll freeze for 5-15 seconds, warp up to where I am and then freeze up again.

It’s been awful all day, and I did update last night but I was seeing this exact behavior yesterday, it just didn’t last long and wouldn’t happen at all in Apple’s Maps.

Is this what a dying GPS looks like or is this just buggy software? I’ve rebooted the phone, turned Location Services off and on again, same poo poo.

e: and now it’s working correctly. What in the world.

e2: broken again. This is incredibly annoying.

My phone worked correctly last Thursday, Friday and this past Monday and has been showing this problem again all day yesterday and today. My GPS is still finding me, but not tracking movement at all in Apple Maps or Google Maps, occasionally warping up to where I am then freezing again. I’ve done everything short of restoring your factory settings, but I’m not sure what that would do that Reset All Settings wouldn’t.

I’m about to reach the end of Verizon’s customer support, what’s the best way to get help from Apple with stores being closed? Go through their website?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Download the Apple support app and talk to them through that.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

That happens frequently to me. My solution is to turn WiFi 'off' using the control center button. The cause has been hanging on to bad hotspots in a dense hotspot area, which throws off GPS. iPhone supplements GPS data with WiFi based location data to maximize accuracy. Have you tried that?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Inner Light posted:

That happens frequently to me. My solution is to turn WiFi 'off' using the control center button. The cause has been hanging on to bad hotspots in a dense hotspot area, which throws off GPS. iPhone supplements GPS data with WiFi based location data to maximize accuracy. Have you tried that?

Yep. I’ve spent hours troubleshooting this and have done everything short of a factory reset.

e: Just got off the phone with Apple. Looks like a factory reset is my evening plans. :sigh:

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 20, 2020

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

:siren: iOS 13.5 has dropped. :siren:

Apple posted:

iOS 13.5 release notes:

iOS 13.5 speeds up access to the passcode field on devices with Face ID when you are wearing a face mask and introduces the Exposure Notification API to support COVID-19 contact tracing apps from public health authorities. This update also introduces an option to control automatic prominence of video tiles on Group FaceTime calls and includes bug fixes and other improvements.

Face ID and Passcode

Simplified unlock process for devices with Face ID when you are wearing a face mask

Passcode field automatically presented after swiping up from the bottom of the Lock screen when you are wearing a face mask

Also works when authenticating with the App Store, Apple Books, Apple Pay, iTunes, and other apps that support signing in with Face ID

Exposure Notification

Exposure Notification API to support COVID-19 contact tracing apps from public health authorities
FaceTime

Option to control automatic prominence on Group FaceTime calls so video tiles do not change size when a participant speaks
Emergency Services

Option to automatically share health and other essential information from your Medical ID with emergency services when you place an emergency call (US only)

This update also includes bug fixes and other improvements.

Fixes an issue where users may see a black screen when trying to play streaming video from some websites

Addresses an issue in the share sheet where suggestions and actions may not load

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Thank you Tim Apple for letting me enter my pin quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Oh wow you all had to wait for that? I forget I'm on beta sometimes. Point release betas have been pretty smooth.